PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar rinses and oils?

Bagginslover
May 15th, 2013, 02:23 AM
I have just stareted using a white vinegar rinse, and so far I'm loving what its doing! I have only done 2 rinses so far, and I'm hoping you can help with a little problem I've encountered.

The first time, I decided not to oil my ends post wash, as I wanted to see what the vinegar did on its own, without covering up any potential issues with the oil. It was great, no dry ness, lovely.

The second time, I went back to using my usual coconut oil on my ends, and I know my ends like it, but it won't soak in!! I'm day 2 post wash/rinse now, and most of the oil is still sitting on my hair. I used the same amount as usual, did the same things, the only change is the vinegar rinse.

Is the vinegar somehow stopping the oils absorbing?

Thanks in advance :)

Natalia
May 15th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Just a theory but maybe the vinegar is closing the cuticle more not allowing for an area for the oil to seep in?

meteor
May 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I'll be watching this thread.
I agree that the acidic liquid closes off the cuticle and probably somewhat prevents absorption.
Personally, I find that oil doesn't soak in well right after a wash for me. I think it's because it takes my hair a loooong while to dry. And if I apply oil to damp hair then it just sort of sits on top of damp hair and feels like it doesn't penetrate. Was your hair damp or dry when you oiled it?

meteor
May 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Double post, sorry. :)

dwell_in_safety
May 15th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I do an ACV rinse with every wash, and I can't put oil or any other leave-in on my hair when it's anything but fully dry and get good results. I really don't know why that is, so I'll be watching this thread as well.

akuamoonmaui
May 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Good to know! Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about starting ACV rinses and I love my oils! It never occurred to me this may happen.

Bagginslover
May 16th, 2013, 03:30 AM
My hair was damp, but thats when I have always applied my oil before, and its always abosorbed fine.

So the cuticle is too closed...thats a good thing though right? For moisture retention? I will try oiling once its fully dried next wash and see if that makes a difference for me :)

Thank you all, you're wonderful! <3

spirals
May 17th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Not to mention also that vinegar and oil don't mix. That's why you need an emulifier when you make vinaigrette. Maybe add some mustard? Just kidding.

Bagginslover
May 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Added my oil after my hair was 100% dry this time, and used slightly less oil, and its worked!! :)