PDA

View Full Version : The messy bun thread

Wildcat Diva
May 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I know we have a bun picture thread. But I thought we could have a place to only discuss and show off messy buns. I really have not been a fan, and and trying to come around to the idea. Finger-combing does not allow me to create the smooth, sleek buns I have been used to.

So I really need some advice, instruction and inspiration as to how to move forward with bunning without brushing out wavy hair. I'm not saying I'll do it every day, but I'd like to learn more. My normal habit has been to wash, air dry and leave waves in for a day or two. I might wear it down during this time, but I'd also like the option to bun. Here's my messy bun I tried about 24 hours after washing. I wore it down half the day, in waves, then decided to put it up. I was really happy that my hair was pretty full, and thick because it was clean. This helped it to hold well, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I think I'll do my sleek buns on day 3 forward, if I can't stop brushing.

Here's mine from Saturday evening:
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/2342/photomay11140710.jpg

Anyone else got tips or pics?

Seeshami
May 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/344e674a-9bd9-4b21-806e-85a6318b43da_zps102f5303.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BrokenCagedBird/media/344e674a-9bd9-4b21-806e-85a6318b43da_zps102f5303.jpg.html)

Messy bun and the green glare of death. It was for The Naughty Mess he was trying to fling things

whylime13
May 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Where'd you get those forks? They're gorgeous!

I'm trying to embrace the messy bun, but my type A personality usually kicks in and I end up using a dozen or more hair pins to stick down anything that was poking out or moving.

patienceneeded
May 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM
My buns always look messy. (Doesn't that just sound odd?) It's very rare that I can get all the hairs to do what I want. I've learned to live with it.

kpzra
May 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM
My buns always look messy. (Doesn't that just sound odd?) It's very rare that I can get all the hairs to do what I want. I've learned to live with it.

Same here, until my hair gets a bit longer. I trimmed all the layers off and now it doesn't behave anymore.

Wildcat Diva
May 13th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Where'd you get those forks? They're gorgeous!

thank you! They are from Elymwold on ETSY.

neko_kawaii
May 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM
My buns only look sleek if they get put up wet. As long as it stays put I don't much care what it looks like.

TheHowlingWolf
May 13th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Tbh I don't even know if I can do a bun in a non messy fashion lol.

Seeshami, your eyes are GORGEOUS! I'm jealous!
*sorry for going off topic!

utdesertrunner
May 13th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I LOVE messy buns! If it's too sleek I end up pulling out strands to mess it up a bit. So funny how different our preferences can be, but still beautiful!

Wow, gorgeous eyes Seeshami!

And those forks are drool-worthy Wildcat Diva!

Seeshami
May 14th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you all. I have always been thankful and appreciated my eyes. I am the only green in the immediate family.

LadyLongLocks
May 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Here are my messy buns
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/2silvercinbuns_zps42534248.jpg

Achlys
May 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Most of my buns look messy, I'm not skilled enough to do neat ones. And my hair likes to slip out of place. There is a messy bun in my avatar, but I'll try to get photos if I do something like this again in the future.

LadyLongLocks, your buns are huge! :bigeyes:

bo-peep
May 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Here are my messy buns
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/2silvercinbuns_zps42534248.jpg

OMG - how do you walk upright with buns that huge? I'd be afraid of toppling over backwards!

I'm seriously jealous.

spirals
May 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM
LadyLongLocks, your buns are huge! :bigeyes:
Out of context this is hilarious.

Everything my hair does is messy and I like it that way. It's part of the charm of curly hair.

Wildcat Diva
May 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
LadyLongLocks, that is amazing.

And so another question I have is, what bun is that? My first pic in the thread was a Cinnabun style, as that was easy to do without compressing my hair too much. I feel like I don't want to manipulate it too much to do a complicated bun that's not going to look right with all those waves anyway. Is my instinct right on this one? Of course I am just APL, so if I'm not combing smooth and pulling taut, I don't have so much length to work with anyways. For example, a "messy" pencil bun didn't work out at all, fell apart (when I can usually easily do this with combed out, smooth hair).

Achlys
May 14th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Out of context this is hilarious.

Sorry, I didn't realize. :D And I'm not a native speaker.

LadyLongLocks
May 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
LadyLongLocks, that is amazing.

And so another question I have is, what bun is that? My first pic in the thread was a Cinnabun style, as that was easy to do without compressing my hair too much. I feel like I don't want to manipulate it too much to do a complicated bun that's not going to look right with all those waves anyway. Is my instinct right on this one? Of course I am just APL, so if I'm not combing smooth and pulling taut, I don't have so much length to work with anyways. For example, a "messy" pencil bun didn't work out at all, fell apart (when I can usually easily do this with combed out, smooth hair).

These are cinnamon buns, I had waves from hair being braided so it made them bigger. I made 2 ponytails first and then loosely did the cinnamon buns. My hair is ankle length/70" here so I had lots to work with :)

spirals
May 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize. :D And I'm not a native speaker.
What does it say about me that it was the first place my mind went? :lol: I guess I have a childish sense of humor.

Wildcat Diva
May 14th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Lady Long Locks, that's great, thanks for explaining that.

Sorry, I didn't realize. :D And I'm not a native speaker. Don't apologize (even though it's not my buns in question), it's funny as heck! We need all the laughs we can get around here.

bo-peep
May 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Don't apologize (even though it's not my buns in question), it's funny as heck! We need all the laughs we can get around here.

My thoughts exactly!

melusine963
May 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM
thank you! They are from Elymwold on ETSY.

I couldn't for the life of me work out what kind of fork or bun that is, until I went to the Etsy shop. It's two hair claws, isn't it? I love the effect!

Wildcat Diva
May 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
It's two hair forks! 2 tine. If you check his sold items you will see them. Bun: it's a cinnabun, which I normally hate, but since it was poofy and not compressed, it looked okay.

melusine963
May 16th, 2013, 06:09 AM
:doh: The ebony parts blend into your hair so well that my eyes just skipped over them. I love the green colour!

ravenheather
May 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Great thread. I love messy buns on other people, but mine are usually sleek. So I will be watching for advice.

LadyLongLocks
May 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
OMG - how do you walk upright with buns that huge? I'd be afraid of toppling over backwards!

I'm seriously jealous.

I gradually adjusted to the weight of my hair in a bun. I really don't notice the weight much... Unless I have 2 cups of conditioner recipe in it like right now! Coconut conditioner mixed with coconut oil and water and hair saturated...now I feel the weight!

bo-peep
May 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I gradually adjusted to the weight of my hair in a bun. I really don't notice the weight much... Unless I have 2 cups of conditioner recipe in it like right now! Coconut conditioner mixed with coconut oil and water and hair saturated...now I feel the weight!

Wow - that's a lot of conditioner. But then again, you have a LOT of (stunningly beautiful!) hair. Makes sense about gradually adjusting to the weight of your hair - it didn't just "appear" out of nowhere. It took time to grow it that long. BTW, how long do you leave the coconut concoction on your hair?

I have wrenched my neck a few times while in the shower because of the weight of my hair when it's wet. It usually happens while tilting my head back to rinse out conditioner. My hair is only hip length, but it's also very thick and coarse.

Wildcat Diva
June 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Why can't I have that too heavy hair problem?

Anyway, here's this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/5170/photojun09005253.jpg

MaryO
June 9th, 2013, 02:41 AM
My hair usually looks messy when worn up and very neat when down- I don't pretend to understand my hair at all- just live with it! ;-) (Too short for proper bunning though...)

jacqueline101
June 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I think I took a pick of mine in my photo bucket album.