PDA

View Full Version : Securing w/o elastics?

Rilig
May 11th, 2013, 10:31 AM
So, my last hairtie broke. What are some ways to secure different hairstyles that normally use hairties - braids, buns, ponytails, et cetera- without using one? In my arsenal I have a little hairfork I made, bobbypins, hairpins, 2 mismatched chopsticks, and a beat-up comb.

Specifically, I'm looking for how to make ponytails, gibson tucks, and hanging braids.

earthnut
May 11th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Try elastic ribbon: https://www.google.com/search?q=hair+tie+elastic+ribbon

kaydana
May 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Bobby pin braid:

Braid hair as normal
Split one of the strands in two
Wrap each half of the split strand around the other two strands (where you'd tie the elastic)
Bobby pin in place, catching the wrapped hair in the pin then pushing it up into the braid.

Gibson tuck:

Put hair in a cinnabun
Untwist the cinnabun from the base
Create your pocket, as you would if you were using a ponytail
Tuck the cinnabun into the pocket
Stab to death with pins (or use your fork, that would probably work well for this one as it'll help hold the bun together) to hold it in place

Low ponytail:

Pull hair back into a ponytail
Separate a small amount of hair from your nape from the ponytail and split in two
Wrap these two sections around the base of the ponytail
Secure with pins

High ponytail:
As above, but instead of taking the two wrapping sections from the nape of your neck, take a section of hair from above each ear. Cross the strands underneath the ponytail before wrapping.

jacqueline101
May 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I use a silk ribbon to secure your hair.

Rilig
May 11th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Kaydana, thanks! Especially the gibson. :D

Earthnut and Jacqueline, unfortunately, I don't have any of that.

Carolyn
May 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
What is preventing you from buying another package of elastics?

Rilig
May 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
What is preventing you from buying another package of elastics?

I don't have a car nor the time to go to the store for a while. Plus, I find that elastics are a bit damaging to my hair, even though I use the metal-free ones.

torrilin
May 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM
This is an it depends sort of thing. On my hair, the real answer is "you've got to be kidding". My hair is fine, straight, and slithery. And while I've developed some natural layering, the ends are really pretty blunt. So while I've met lots of women who can braid their hair and just not fasten the ends of the braid more than braiding does naturally... I can't do that. My hair will eventually escape. The curlier your hair and the more natural your layers, the easier it is to go without elastics on braids. Braided buns, tucked French braids, Heidi braids, folded braids and vortex buns all may work better without hair elastics... again, it's very hair type dependent.

For the ponytail, same sort of thing. While I *can* tie my hair in a knot and leave a ponytail free, the knot will fall out sooner or later. Usually sooner if I don't fasten the knot with spin pins or U shaped pins or hair sticks. A lot of posters with curlier hair find that knotted styles hold very well for them, and depending on their curl level, personal style and knotted style choice they may find them holding without tools somewhere in the BSL to waist range. If I have to bother with pins anyway, I'd rather do a Celtic knot bun and have a more comfortable/useful hairdo.

My hair just laughs at the whole idea of a Gibson tuck and promptly escapes. It doesn't matter how cute I find the style, it's unlikely that I can do anything like a Gibson tuck and have it stay.

dulce
May 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I twist my hair in a knot,then skewer a antler wishbone fork through ,I can do a knotted half up and a knotted full pony this way-no elastics,no bobby pins.

lunalocks
May 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM
silk ribbon, velvet ribbon or lace. I've secured my hair up with bamboo knitting needles, too.

jeanniet
May 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM
If you have old tights or pantyhose you can make hair ties out of those, or, for that matter, any strip of old cloth. I'm not a fan of the regular elastic ties, but the soft elastic (fold-over elastic) is cheap and very gentle on hair, so next time you have the chance pick some up. I find bobby pins to be damaging, so I personally wouldn't use them.

lindenblossom
May 11th, 2013, 04:40 PM
If you have old tights or pantyhose you can make hair ties out of those, or, for that matter, any strip of old cloth.

Ditto. I prefer doing this over using elastics.

Speaking of which, I often find homeless hair elastics on the ground almost everywhere I go - on the sidewalks, at the bus stop, etc. On the floors of buildings, too. I often pick them up and keep them, and have a collection in a rainbow of colors, even though I don't use elastics! How do people lose these so easily? :)