PDA

View Full Version : Split end protection

deedrr
May 10th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'm looking for something that can be put on dry hair to coat and protect it (I have breakage on the under layer of my hair) any suggestions?

QMacrocarpa
May 12th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I find that a little oil on my ends delays splittiness. I liked jojoba (from Trader Joe's), but found it a bit pricy; almond was okay but not available at my usual grocery store (I got the culinary-type almond oil at Whole Foods, not the pricier version sold in the cosmetic area); now I'm using olive oil (non-virgin, the cheap stuff) with a little essential oil for scent. I keep most of the bottle in the fridge, I just keep a small amount in the bathroom (I've had rancidity issues in the past when keeping the whole bottle at room temperature for a long while). Some like coconut oil. You might have an oil in the kitchen that you could try. :) Start small, just a drop or two rubbed on your hands and then run your hands gently through your ends.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
The oils smoothed into the ends are working well for me, I like coconut, olive and almond. At the moment I am using olive oil (non-virgin). My hair is mid back length and has no split ends. I have just trimmed a little less than an inch but that was to tidy up uneven growth - I had no split ends before I trimmed either, and I think that my current length is long enough for split ends to occur at.

ETA: Before this trim I had not trimmed since early 2011.

alyaziaaah
May 12th, 2013, 05:04 PM
same, i use coconut oil. unless you want to go for a coney serum.....
but i prefer oil, although lately i use a serum and put coconut as well....

cheetahfast
May 12th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I say oil (I've used coconut, joboja, camille) or pure shea butter.

My favorite is nightbloomings pancea from etsy, it absorbs in so it won't feel greasy, plus a little goes a long way and the winter blend smell divine!

Lovelyharper
May 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM
A little almond or avocado oil does the trick for me.

melusine963
May 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM
If it's your underlayer that's splitting, have you considered just wearing your hair up to protect it? The splits may be caused by your hair rubbing against your clothes. Switching from a braid to updos has helped my split ends a lot. Oiling is also good, as others have suggested.

AnnaB
May 13th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I use Argan oil and have my hair up at all times. If you already have lots of split ends then maybe a tiny trim is needed to stop the damage travelling up the hair. Good luck :)

bunzfan
May 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I will be watching this thread closely :popcorn: i'm getting lots of splits right up to the mid lengths but, i ain't cutting as such i have found a mix of S&D and over night oiling twice a week is making a big difference as is going back to cones.

dwell_in_safety
May 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM
If it's your underlayer that's splitting, have you considered just wearing your hair up to protect it? The splits may be caused by your hair rubbing against your clothes. Switching from a braid to updos has helped my split ends a lot. Oiling is also good, as others have suggested.

Seconding this easy suggestion. :) I used to always have a ton of splits in my under layer that were still present after taking better care of my hair. After a few months of wearing it up every day and a trim or two, though, they were totally gone, and a year or so later I still find it difficult to locate just one split end in my hair. I don't think wearing it up EVERY day is necessary, but maybe try just wearing it up on weekdays or days you work if you have a job? It will take a few months and a trim to see a difference, but I never thought I would be split-free and here I am!

Coolcombination
May 13th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I'm feeling very lhc with my ends oiled and hair in a cinnabun held with a ficcare! I have only ever found two bad split type ends but I don't want them to begin splitting soo.. My hair up until I joined here was shoulder length with a two inch trim every 3 months! So this may be why I haven't found one before. When does hair start splitting at mbl or longer?

ravenreed
May 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I don't use oil, I use catnip rinses as a leave-in. I suppose you could put some in a spray bottle and use it on dry hair, but I don't find I need to.

jacqueline101
May 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'd s&d oil your ends.