PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 2 year anniversary thread!

Annibelle
May 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm late with posting by about a week because I couldn't decide if I even wanted to make this post. I came to LHC with WL hair, but it's now BSL, which makes me a little sad. I dream of having HL hair, and length-wise, I've been going backwards for two years. But really, my hair is better than it was before.

Here's my hair when I first joined. I cut the extremely thin ends shortly after.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/41dc8e9e-3747-49db-aea9-ebce263b6af7_zpsd3b6caae.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/4nnibelle/media/41dc8e9e-3747-49db-aea9-ebce263b6af7_zpsd3b6caae.jpg.html)

Toward the end of my first year here, I discovered that I'm actually a wavy. That explained why I had to brush my hair 30 times a day for it to look presentable-- which probably gave me some damage, too. I was always so unhappy with my hair. I never understood why it was so frizzy no matter how moisturized it was-- or why it was actually FRIZZIER with more moisture! It was trying to form waves. I thought I just had straight hair that happened to be ugly. Here's what happened when I did my first real hair-typing photo (meaning no combing after showering) about a year after I joined. I was already CO washing at this point.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P3034369.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/4nnibelle/media/P3034369.jpg.html)

I was pretty surprised that I had such defined spirals! I decided to start using leave-in conditioner and scrunching. Later I started gel-casting.

Here's my hair in December: wavy and WL-- the length I had when I joined.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/265695db-a9e9-4a72-9f35-aad8cc5fe40f_zps79eb71e2.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/4nnibelle/media/265695db-a9e9-4a72-9f35-aad8cc5fe40f_zps79eb71e2.jpg.html)

Later that day, I had my hair cut by a Deva-trained stylist. It was... horrible. I expected to lose length, of course, but what she did was crazy! She CO washed my hair, cut it, and then scrunched in gel. Totally normal for me. When my hair was dry, though, she used a fine-toothed comb to COMB THROUGH THE HARDENED GEL. I lost a lot of hair, and I came away with a short, frizzy mess. I almost cried when she asked how I liked it-- especially because while I was waiting before my cut, several people said they liked my "mermaid hair," which I was pretty sure she'd butchered. When I got home, though, I washed my hair and styled it as I usually would, and I was relieved to see that it still looked decent. The only pic I have of that uses flash because it was late at night.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/6ca91e02-92a6-45be-866b-8efb25edd22c_zps89870ec6.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/4nnibelle/media/6ca91e02-92a6-45be-866b-8efb25edd22c_zps89870ec6.jpg.html)

Now I regret the cut. I could probably have HL hair by now if I hadn't gotten that darn cut. But I did get the cut, so I need to get over it. I pretty much stopped taking hair photos after that, but I took one for today. I no longer gel-cast regularly simply because I'm lazy :lol: , so my current routine involves CO washing and then scrunching in a leave-in conditioner. (This photo is also the only one that's accurate color-wise; the rest were taken on the wrong camera setting.)

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/5941b356-a39d-4902-809e-165b5d43e1db_zpsaf49aef7.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/4nnibelle/media/5941b356-a39d-4902-809e-165b5d43e1db_zpsaf49aef7.jpg.html)

I'm not too bummed about where I'm at now; my hair definitely looks better than it did when I first joined. I just miss the length. I've learned, though, to stop trimming to try to get rid of my fairytale ends. They'll never go away, so I might as well embrace them. On to hip! :cheer:

leslissocool
May 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I remember seeing your threads about the thin ends and you cutting it and stuff, wow has it really been 2 years?!?

I think your hair is gorgeous, even after the bad cut. I LOOOOVE the waves :crush: and your hair is so darn shiny!

Congrats, happy anniversary :blossom:.

Annibelle
May 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thank you so much, Lesli. :flowers:

To me, it feels like it's been muuuuch longer than 2 years! I can hardly even remember using a brush.

Zesty
May 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Your waves are to die for! Congrats on the improved health, I'm sure you'll be at hip in no time. :)

Annibelle
May 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Thank you so much, Zesty! :flower: I'm hoping to get to HL by the end of the year! But I'll be happy if I can just be at solid WL...

Glenn
May 10th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Just as a reminder... Cutting your hair does not make it longer. I've been telling you this for years, but, I promise to keep repeating it when you decide that you will increase your hair length with scissors. Either way, I'd love you, even if you were hairless.

Okay, okay... I'll remind you again, just in case I forget to remind you. Please see above sentence. :)

Glenn
May 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Your waves are to die for! Congrats on the improved health, I'm sure you'll be at hip in no time. :)

Thank you, Zesty. She doesn't listen to me when I tell her that.

Annibelle
May 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Just as a reminder... Cutting your hair does not make it longer. I've been telling you this for years, but, I promise to keep repeating it when you decide that you will increase your hair length with scissors. Either way, I'd love you, even if you were hairless.

Okay, okay... I'll remind you again, just in case I forget to remind you. Please see above sentence. :)

Omg, I don't say my hair will get longer when I cut it-- I say it will look BETTER! :steam: This, my friends, is what I deal with everyday! :lol:

Yep, I'm pretty lucky-- this is the worst thing I can think of to complain about. :crush:

lunalocks
May 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Beautiful, Annibelle. So much thicker and, I would say, longer than 2 years ago. Definitely beautiful.

Lissandria
May 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Oh Annibelle I have always loved and been envious of your beautiful mermaid hair. :flower:

Its great that you have discovered you are a wurly and what works for your hair, something that many may never find out. You will make hip length for sure. Just keep growing. :)

Congratulations.

kpzra
May 10th, 2013, 05:13 PM
*sigh* That's the kind of body/waves that I want in my hair but it has other ideas no matter what I do. You hair is GORGEOUS.

sisi33
May 10th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Annibelle, your hair is gorgeous! Nothing to even remotely bad to say about it from my end- and I like your fairytale ends!

hafattack
May 10th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Beautiful hair! So much shine :flower:
When you found out you were a wurly, what did you start to do differently?

rock007junkie
May 10th, 2013, 06:21 PM
What a transformation! It's definitely looking a lot better and thicker. Congrats!

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Your hair has come along ways and is growing in the right track. Looks lovey by the way.

SerinaDaith
May 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Lovely growth! I know it stinks that your hair is shorter but it looks so much better!

neko_kawaii
May 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Pretty, pretty, pretty! So glad you discovered your waves.

shutterpillar
May 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM
So beautiful and soft looking! And so shiny, as well! It's lovely!

Allychan
May 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Looks like the patience and trimming has really paid off. I too have stringy ends and know how much better my hair would look if I just chopped the ends off, but like you losing length is very disheartening. Fantastic results

kidari
May 10th, 2013, 08:27 PM
It's thicker, has gorgeous waves, shinier, and has a deeper richer color than two years ago. I agree to just embrace the ends; they do help create that mermaid-hair effect, which is gorgeous! Happy two year anniversary! Onwards to hip!

Annibelle
May 10th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you all so much! :flowers:

Beautiful hair! So much shine :flower:
When you found out you were a wurly, what did you start to do differently?

When I thought I might be wurly, I stopped combing my hair. I now comb it maybe 6 times a year, and that's just if I'm doing a lace braid or something. I also started using some sort of leave-in and scrunching... my go-to is just a leave-in conditioner, but when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll also use gel for gel casting. Mostly, though, I try to leave my hair alone. No finger combing or moving my hair in a way it doesn't want to go. Always working with the waves instead of against them. :) It took a while, though, for my wave pattern to really get defined after how much brushing I used to do. For the first few months of treating my hair like it was wavy, my pattern changed a lot! As my hair got healthier and used to being unbrushed, it got more defined.

schweedie
May 11th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Oh, like Lesli I remember your threads figuring out that you were a wavy, too! Wow, time really does fly. *g*

I love your hair. It looks so wonderfully soft and shiny now. :D Hip length will be yours!

Ocelan
May 11th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I think your hair is so beautiful with its spirals and even though I liked it before the cut, I think it will grow to be even more beautiful when you reach hip length now. And yes, please let your ends fairytale instead of cutting a blunt hemline from now on. It really does look like mermaid hair and I can see that you are going towards that direction now. Keep away from the cuts and just S&D from now on if you get splits and that's it. :)

Alexblue
May 11th, 2013, 12:53 AM
We have the same hair though I'm only just pass BSL. It's fantastic to see your progress (and a sneak peak of what my hair may look like at WL).

longhairedlady
May 11th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I love all of your pics! Your current hair is my fav :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2013, 06:03 AM
It looks lovely, and I daresay it thickened on the ends quite a bit!

Neecola
May 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Your hair is so beautiful and shines with health! Happy anniversary, Annibelle!

Anabell
May 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I really sorry about the bad experience in the hair salon. But your hair is lovely. I really like your waves and spirals. The fairy tail end suit your hair texture (if it make any sense). It's amazing how the real hair texture can be appear with the proper treatment. I also love your hair color. It looks in the same darkness as mine, but it seems like you have more warm undertone.

meishkamooshka
May 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Your hair looks wonderful. Congratulations. I will just sit here in envy over your amazing curls. *sigh*

ravenheather
May 11th, 2013, 02:43 PM
All right you want to make me give finger combing another try. Your waves are beautiful. Congratulations on such beautiful shiny hair. What is your favorite leave in?

Annibelle
May 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks to all of the most recent sweet, angelic commenters! :flowers:

All right you want to make me give finger combing another try. Your waves are beautiful. Congratulations on such beautiful shiny hair. What is your favorite leave in?

I actually don't even finger comb. I use only one leave-in, and that's the Beautiful Curls one for wavy hair. :) I use just three pea-sized drops twice a week, so this one bottle has lasted me a year! Of course, if you have more hair, you'll need more, but it's pretty awesome. :D And it smells like a tiny little baby... :crush:

ravenheather
May 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
So you only detangle in the shower? What do you do when you put hair up or do you just wear it down?

Annibelle
May 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
So you only detangle in the shower? What do you do when you put hair up or do you just wear it down?

I usually either braid my hair or wear it in a bun, and I never detangle for either. Even finger combing really messes up my wave pattern and leaves me frizzy. So my updos are always a little bit messy, but I like them. :) I actually keep a few pieces of hair intentionally short so that they create tendrils when I do updos, so the messiness looks intentional. :)

ravenheather
May 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I love messy updos on others but for myself I always try to tame my hair. I probably should stop that.

Wildcat Diva
May 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm late to this party but I gotta say: beautiful and such a big difference in your pics! Your hair is just getting more and more lovely.

ETA: and got a link on that leave in conditioner?

Annibelle
May 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM
:flowers:

This is the leave-in I use: http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Curls-Leave-In-Conditioner-Curly/dp/B004OXAE3W :)

I also use the brand's wavy shampoo, but as I shampoo maybe once every few months, it's generally my body wash. I think it's the most relaxing, darling scent... like a freshly washed baby. I think it's the chamomile. :)

CurlyCap
May 11th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Annibelle,

I've always loved your hair since I joined LHC. I didn't know you've come so far in your journey. So inspirational!

bunzfan
May 12th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I hear you on regretting a big cut i did that to, but wow your hair looks fantastic now!! and the ends look so lovely i'm hoping for some great growth for you over the summer.

SleepyTangles
May 12th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Looks lovely! And I'm sure they will be even more lovely at hip, you have truly mermaid hair... :crush:

Annibelle
May 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
You guys really are the best. :grouphug: I'm so excited to spend another year at LHC with you all. :) I really hope I've reached hip by my next anniversary! :cheese:

joflakes
May 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Annibelle, your hair looks gorgeous and is a squillion times better than what you had when you arrived here! My hair type isn't too far off yours, and if I can have what you have some day I'll be really really happy. Well done! =)

Lovelyharper
May 12th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Wow, your hair looks amazing. I love the color and the wavy texture. Your starting hair sort of resembles mine (at least in thickness or lack there of at the ends) so there is hope for me yet.

NataschaB.
May 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Your hair is what I would call my dream hair! Soooooo gorgeous!!!!!!

browneyedsusan
May 14th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Your hair is gorgeous, and the fairytale ends are very pretty. I can't believe the difference in your hair over the last 2 years?! :thud: It looks SO much better! Great job taking care of it. :)

spidermom
May 14th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Amazing how many of us wavies were brushing all the life out of our hair and complaining that it was messy, although I wouldn't call you a wavy but a curly. It's nice to have you around; grow on.

BambooBeauty
May 14th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Your hair is so beautiful!! I would die if my hair looked like yours!! Thanks for sharing!

lacefrost
May 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Yaaay! You're finally learning to love your hair like I do! :) I told you it was getting longer, thicker and more beautiful! And even non-LHCers notice too. I can't wait to see you at hip!

CurlyMopTop
May 14th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Very nice progress Annibelle! Your hair is looking much thicker in your latest pick, very shiney too!