PDA

View Full Version : Hair Cutting Remorse :(

orangeskye
May 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
So about 4 months ago I decided I wanted to do something "wacky" with my hair and on a whim went to a local salon to have the ends of my henna'd (can-i-call-this-waist-length?) hair bleached and dyed blue and purple.
The end result was more like fried- slightly less red ends.. about 5-8 inches of damage.
I was annoyed at myself for damaging my ends but kept telling myself i really should just cut the ends off, because it would be healthier than before i bleached it.
So I went to my aunt- who is a beautition by trade- and asked her to cut just the ends of my hair, JUST the damaged died bits, leaving it as long as possible.
She claims she only cut 6 inches, but it's much more than that :( I appreciate that it's healthier at the ends now than it was, but I am mourning the loss of my hair.
Everyone around me is telling me that I look more professional, that the natural wave are more flattering short, and it's easier to maintain. But i'm at a loss for pulling it back professionally now... before i could just pull it into a bun.. two bobbies.. or a pen!
Now i can't get it to stay back properly without the ends popping up :(
It was stupid to damage on a whim and to cut the damage out on another whim.. and it's already done..
I just wanted to cry to people that might understand.. noone around here gets it. i'm really sad :(
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/---WVPYoU1BA/USWdtA1RMNI/AAAAAAAAAQo/fhDZWnkQatk/s1600/20130220_224120.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ti6uN2KFqUI/UXNvMXwoe4I/AAAAAAAAASM/H6NnmNDGAkE/s1600/20130420_161131.jpg

leslissocool
May 10th, 2013, 02:30 PM
:( I'm so sorry!

While I understand it's a pain to put your hair back now, I have to say the hemline is absolutely gorgeous! It's going to grow very even and beautiful! :blossom:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM
It looks like she chopped 12 inches off! But it has made your hemline look amazing and your hair is in beautiful condition - and it will grow. I know how terrible you must be feeling though and I would be too I think if someone took that much off my hair...:grouphug:

AcornMystic
May 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
If the top picture is the hair you went into the salon with, then yes... she cut wayyy more than 6. Maybe it's just the camera and distance, but it looks like she cut off a foot of hair, no exaggerating. That is terrible, but on the plus your hair looks very healthy and I agree, the hemline is beautiful. It'll grow out very nicely. You are also giving other women and men the opportunity to take another moment to consider if they really want to go ahead and do anything on a whim to their hair. Lessons learned and lessons taught, I say.

Suze2012
May 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
1. I could still bun my hair when I was at your length. (I am only BSL and a bit and want to stay there).
2. The bad is all cut out and your hair is still 'long'.
3. It will grow.
4. Gorgeous colour
5.You must have been bored to colour the ends..you will be bored with it again (probably) so have a think about some things you can do which won't damage as much.

kidari
May 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM
:grouphug: I completely feel your pain. I've gone through both things you went through but never back to back. I understand the feeling of having the urge to cry. There are two positives I see in this: one is that this experience will completely deter you from being compulsive about your hair in the future and two is that it will grow back and it will look better than before. Sometimes we have to learn through experience and mistakes to gain valuable knowledge and improve, right?? So it's actually more of a good thing, really.

jeanniet
May 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I know it's hard to lose that much hair, but if you consider that it will probably grow in faster and better now because you won't have breakage, maybe it will make you feel better. And your hemline really does look good now.

Suze2012
May 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Er..reading other posts I am confused as pic one and two only look about 2 inches different to me?

orangeskye
May 10th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I love your positive attitudes! That's most of why I posted tonight.
I haven't had a straight hemline in... a really long time, so I forgot that was even a plus!
and by the way, the first picture was from early February, but was the most recent I had, so pretty accurate.
I think she added some layers to it, to help with the natural wave (which I ok'd) I think thats my problem with the buns. I'm used to the weight of my hair holding itself together, but with the shortness and the layers I've got millions of little pokies. Gah!
ah well.. I wanted change.. I got it :(

leslissocool
May 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Even without layers, a blunt cut is a pain (for me) to put up! I can't do buns that last all day (I have to braid then bun now) because the ends are really hard to tuck, and pins are don't work much for my hair they fall off (my hair is really coarse).

But, I recently cut 6 inches off my hair for a blunt hemline, because I like it better down blunt. I would love a blunt hemline past classic one day, so I figured I should chop now before it gets longer :lol:.

orangeskye
May 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Suze, the angles are a bit different in the pictures, but by my measurements I believe she cut around 10-12 inches.
It's just slightly above bsl now, and it was nearly to my waist before, and I'm 5'10, there's ALOT of space between those two goals!

Carolyn
May 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
At the length you are now you should be able to do a low pony and a peacock twist. Both can be made to look professional.

Vrindi
May 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that wasn't 6". That was a foot. I know exactly how you feel, and have been through the same thing. But here's the good news, your hair looks beautiful, and the ends look so healthy. That length, for me, was the hardest to do anything with. But it will grow, and it will become easier to manage and pull back as it does. And now you know what not to do with it, so you can keep it healthier and get it longer, faster.

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I do agree the hem line is nice for growing it out again.

Suze2012
May 10th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Suze, the angles are a bit different in the pictures, but by my measurements I believe she cut around 10-12 inches.
It's just slightly above bsl now, and it was nearly to my waist before, and I'm 5'10, there's ALOT of space between those two goals!

I have an apology to make...my lighting made it look like your shoulder blade was the ends of you hair...my bad...I now see it...so so sorry Orangsskye! :(
Totally my mistake and silly subtle lighting!

..you do have beautiful hair though....but feel free to slap me! *ouch*..lol!

cat in a girl
May 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Your hair looks so beautiful and healthy. I am thinking of cutting mine as well (ends are so dry) but I just can't bring myself to do it as it takes soooo long to grow back.

orangeskye
May 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM
ugh! Cat in a girl.. can you do a deep treatment on it maybe? to save yourself from cutting?
I get so sad every time i look in the mirror... i think i'd rather have bad ends, but long hair, than healthy, but short hair :(

lunalocks
May 10th, 2013, 04:50 PM
You now have a head of exceptionally healthy hair! Great hemline. don't worry, it will grow.

McFearless
May 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
If you damaged the bottom 5-8 inches it makes sense she would cut a bit more than 6. Try not to dwell on the past. Keep in mind that your hair is still long and looks amazing. So try to enjoy what you have. Your hemline looks really great. You can certainly tie your hair back in a professional manner. You just have to learn new styles appropriate for your new length.

FireFromWithin
May 11th, 2013, 12:55 AM
The other style I find easier and BSL than waist is a French twist as there is less weight to it and less bulk, its also really professonal (its also easy to secure with a comb). I had mine cut from almost waist to above BSL at the beginning of the year to get rid of damage so I feel your pain. The blunt hemline will look good as it grows though and make it look longer when you do get back down to waist.

Bagginslover
May 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM
As others have said, it does look exceptionally healthy now, and you also now know your hair doesn't like bleach ;) It will grow back, and it will look even better when it does now. Your texture is stunning, I'm slightly envious ;)

MonaMayfair
May 11th, 2013, 04:28 AM
It looks SO much better though! It's so pretty and shiny. Never mind, I'm in the same position, I have to cut my hair much shorter, as it's the only way I'll get rid of my henna. I was thinking of starting off getting it cut about the same length as yours is now, and that won't get rid off all the henna by any means, my roots are only down to about my ears! :((

lapushka
May 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM
That's a lot of hair you lost just on a whim or two. I'm sorry. OTOH, the hemline looks lovely and thick, and I'm sure you can find some updos that hold, like for example a simple peacock twist would be awesome at that length.

Angelica
May 11th, 2013, 06:21 AM
I am sorry that your aunt cut so much of your hair off. This is the problem of trusting another person "trimming" your hair. On the plus side though, your hair looks gorgeous and thick and will grow back nicely. I suspect you are just getting used to the new length and that is why you are finding it difficult to manage updos. French pleats should still look good and buns. But it looks nice down too :)

Helix
May 11th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm sure you'll get over it quick; that hemline is the business!

bo-peep
May 11th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Wow! Your hair color is GORGEOUS! It looks like fire! Definitely more than 6 inches cut off, but the cut looks great. I love the layers.

Kaelee
May 11th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I must agree with the others, GORGEOUS hemline!!! I totally know where you're coming from. It does look amazing though!

Macaroni
May 11th, 2013, 10:07 PM
It's a shock, I know, but I have to say that it looks healthier and thicker now.

Until you can bun it, tie it back with a pretty ribbon in a low ponytail.

SleepyTangles
May 12th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I'm sorry, try to consider the positive side: your hair has a colour to die for, its shiny and gorgeous, and the blunt end will be easier to keep healthy.
And you weren't "stupid", I know not even a person who never regretted a cut. For me, it usually helps in defining my tastes... you probably won't feel too tempted by shorter hair trend, while growing it out.

SnowWhite
May 12th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Your hemline looks so healthy!!
I understand you feel bad about the cut, but it will grow as others said :)

joflakes
May 12th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I know you feel bad but it really looks super healthy and the colour and hemline are gorgeous!

GrowingGlory
May 12th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I'm so sorry about your loss. It is a painful and unexpected loss that occurs when you authorize a "trim" or a cut removing 6" and leave the chair minus more than a foot of hair! That said, your hair is still extremely gorgeous, and my unsolicited advice is that you enjoy it.

sisi33
May 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I admit, if that had been me, I probably would have would have shrieked, run away, and started sobbing. :wail: That was a good 8"+ that she took off. Someone is never going near your hair again, I'm betting?

On the bright side- wow, your hemline is gorgeous! The color is great as well, and it'll be back to full bunnability before you know it!

spidermom
May 12th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Your hair looks very pretty now; try to focus on that.

Two good styles for that length are the french twist (ends tucked in) and the peacock twist (ends left out).

Kherome
May 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Good news: It looks AWESOME

Bad news: It's BSL vs the Hip it was before.

It'll grow back, but I am totally sorry for the loss. I know it sucks.

Lovelyharper
May 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I can relate. About a year ago or so I cut off about 9 inches. At first I loved the new shorter length and how healthy it looked but then i started to really miss my longer hair. Your hemline looks really nice and I adore the color.

orangeskye
May 13th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I just wanted to say Thanks everyone!

I do feel better, when I consider the hemline, and I guess this can be considered a fresh start for growing it out again.... Thanks for your positive outlooks my lovelies!

Vrindi
May 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Sock buns should work really well with that length. It's much better to have healthy hair than bad ends and longer hair. As for looking professional, healthy hair accomplishes that far, far better than bad ends. It will grow back! Just baby it and keep it healthy, and you can have long hair AND beautiful ends. Your hair is really beautiful, so you're off to a great start!

chen bao jun
May 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM
So glad you feel better. I appreciate your posting. This happened to me once jsut before my wedding and though that is 30 years ago, I still get angry when I think about it. Its so nice to have a supportive community who understand that the bottom line is not about what 'looks better' to most people, but what you WANTED. In my case, everybody said my hair looked better, but I didn't want it to look better loose, I wanted to be able to continue to put my hair up or wear it in a braid, which I couldn't do once she put in extreme 80's style layers so that I almost had a mullet, basically. I ended up cutting all my hair off short after the wedding, I was still so mad--and I had been growing it for almost 7years. I had got it back to full bra strap after wearing an afro hairstyle (I lost 18 inches of hair, without getting a haircut during 4 years of wearing the afro) and when she finished with me, although the bottom layer of my hair was APL, there were maybe 3 inches left on top. And I had just asked for a little trim!
I love LHC because people on here understand how devastating this kind of thing is. Just reading the answers that people gave to you helped me feel better, after all these years. I guess I have been thinking about it because I have longer than APL hair again now and I want a little trim and I am petrified to go to a hairdresser! I was asking about hairdressers they could recommend in my local beauty supply store and they were trying to think of someone for me, and even they kept saying what a scarcity of hairdressers there are around who will actually listen and do what you want--especially if you don't want anything much. One lady said I have this problem because I have beautiful, very thick virgin hair that looks (and is) strong. She said that a hairdresser would look at my hair and think that it would really showcase their creativeness, and also that it's pretty much indestructible. She said it would seem like a waste to them that I want to keep it 'just hanging there' or worse, keep it up all the time. I don't know if this is true or not, but if so, how obnoxious. there IS a person attached to the hair. Anyway, I'm just going on and on, sorry. But thanks for posting. I'm thinking that me and my crea-clip will have a date and that I will avoid the stress and drama that always seems to happen, even though I am quite assertive and I know how to make myself clear.