PDA

View Full Version : White strip?

FluffSpider
May 9th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hello LHC! Long time no see ^.^
I've been henna-ing my BSL=waist-ish hair for a while now and got it to a rather dark-ish red-I've alternated between using henna and some manic panic-ish stuff and now I've reached the conclusion that I want to have a white strip of hair somewhere at the back of my head,(might look awesome as an accent in updos). My hair hasn't seen bleach, and has been straightened rather rarely (with adequate protection) so I can't say it's in really bad shape( when growing to hip it was all LHC-esquely maintained, since then I've calmed down about it substantially but nevertheless..)
As such, my actual question is:
-With a substantial henna build-up, will I ever reach pure red on said strip?
-If I manage to...char off, so to say, the henna, do I still stand a chance of having a solid strip and not hairs breaking off 'till shoulder length?
-If I do manage to get a solid white strip, does it stand a chance staying white what with all the henna dying that will undoubtedly go on and on?

Only now do I realise..I missed this place^^

sarelis
May 9th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Hi, Sounds like a lovely idea, and it would look great in updos, but I really don't think you are going to be able to achieve pure white after henna. And, as you pointed out, even if you did it would be unlikely to stay white for long!! Why not try a clip in white streak? All the fun with none of the hassle, you could even get a few different coloured ones and change it up a bit when you felt like it, or to match your outfits :)

Bagginslover
May 9th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I have bleached in streaks after hennaing, and let me tell you, the resultant colour is not one you'd want to keep!! It comes out an almost flourescent orange/yellow, and that was after using a 20vol developer, with heat, for around an hour! (Thanks to coconut oil though, I'm seeing no damage that wasn't already there). I intended to henna over the top right away, so the colour wasn't an issue for me, but if you want to keep it white, you'll really stuggle.

Venefica
May 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM
You could always have a white extension set in, that is allot easier on your hair than bleaching a stripe. I have a white stripe, it is to short now but still look good in buns, that I can just clip in whenever I want it.

Seeshami
May 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I vote for a white extension set. I bleached my henna hair twice and it wasn't worth it. That was just to remove enough red to go back to as close to my virgin hair color as I could. One more bleach and my hair would have broken off. It's taken months of spoiling to get it back to normal.

FluffSpider
June 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
So it's a no go. Now my evil brain is working on ways to lighten my colour...I have so much build-up it's crazy, plus I've used manic panic type colours which also didn't go away properly...so I can't get bright red anymore. Whatever I put on my hair stays there and becomes orange-ish...it just doesn't stay a pretty red damnit

Anje
June 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Sorry, misunderstood your post. Clearly I have not consumed sufficient coffee yet!

Echoing the others, a few white extensions are far easier than trying to bleach to white, even without henna. Just about everyone who tries for bleached-white ends up pretty fried, and most of them still have a banana-yellow tone that needs to be counteracted with lavendar products.

FluffSpider
June 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I've changed my mind-I think I'll put some bleach in it and do the very red thing... I just need a change and its better than chopping it all off, i guess

truepeacenik
June 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Hi, Sounds like a lovely idea, and it would look great in updos, but I really don't think you are going to be able to achieve pure white after henna. And, as you pointed out, even if you did it would be unlikely to stay white for long!! Why not try a clip in white streak? All the fun with none of the hassle, you could even get a few different coloured ones and change it up a bit when you felt like it, or to match your outfits :)

I have natural red, and I'd love to find a clip in of my length. How do you get beyond a meter/yard? Stagger clips?