PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Your Own Hair

A. Correira
May 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM
So, I know that it is about time to get my hair trimmed.... only, I want to do it myself, but I have never done it before.... I need some help. I've trimmed bangs and such but not cut the length (well, not cut it where it looked good) and I have hair shears to cut with.

Another twist is that I want to be able to add face framing layers and maybe a few layers in the back... is this possible?

Normally I would go to a professional place but all the prices here are outrageous! I refuse to pay a minimum of 45 bucks just to get a trim! I don't want it styled all fancy or anything, just cut the way I want! And most places don't really listen that well....

Have any of you cut and layered your own hair?

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Some here do the Feye self trimming method.

spirals
May 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I've been doing it for at least 6 years. I've done all kinds of layers, but I don't use Feye's method, though that looks good for someone's first time or two. Maybe I'm good at eyeballing; it always comes out even. I'm the daughter of a seamstress, so eyeballing lengths is a talent/skill I've inherited. For face-framing layers I part it how I usually wear it (slightly off-center) and take the sections that fall before the ears and comb forward under my chin. I grab in a flat panel between the index and middle fingers of my left hand. That's how I hold any hair I'm cutting. Once I have it secured so the arrangement of hairs doesn't slip, I can move that hand however I need to in order to cut the ends that hang down. If I'm cutting on a slant, I clamp it slanted and use my fingers as a cutting guide. I guess stylists use a comb to do that. Anyway, maybe later I can post some pics of hand-hold positions. Right now it's oiled and up.

Jenny31557
May 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I personally would try looking on YouTube first to see if there are any good tutorials but if not, is there anyone you know that could help you? Sorry I can't be of any more help.

woodswanderer
May 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I once cut my own hair by making a pony tail and sliding down the elastic to the end...then bringing it over my shoulder to cut. I guess some people are successful with it, but it didn't look good when I did it. I had to get my mom to fix it (she once attended beauty school) and it wound up shorter than I wanted after the correction.

rock007junkie
May 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I have been cutting my own hair for a couple pf years now using Feye's method. But lately i was getting concerned that my hair wasn't 100% sure that my hair was even. Recently I bought the CreaClip (http://creaproducts.com/store/) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I cut about 3 inches this time with it and it looks great. I would recommend you looking into it if you want to cut your hair yourself since it's pretty versatile and you can do a variety of cuts with it.

Yozhik
May 8th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I've used both feye's method and the ponytail on the top of the head. Quick and cheap, and I get my boyfriend to check the back.

This thread reminds me - I haven't cut since July of last year, so I might ant to onider doing I soon. :)