PDA

View Full Version : Is going to the salon necessary if I want layers?

millyaulait
May 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm almost at waist (yay!) and I'm noticing that my hair doesn't have the same bounce, texture and movement that it used to have. This is because most of my layers have grown out and are now only at the ends of my hair. I'd like to maintain at waist but I'd also love to get my layers back!

I have been youtubing and googling all day for DIY ways to cut layers into hair, but I feel like so many of the tutorials are.... hazardous. The ponytail method scares me a bit, and the crea-clip too... A lot of the tutorials seem to involve haphazardly hacking into the hair.

I also worry about going to the salon here if I'm honest. I know there are length-friendly stylists out there but judging by the hair in my town (90% above shoulder OR extremely obvious WL/TB extensions on teens) I don't think I am going to have much luck. I'd love to take in a picture of layers I want & simply trust a stylist... but I've done this before as a teen and come out with a haircut that didn't even remotely match the picture, so I'm hesitant.

I know that long layers aren't exactly loved by many here (pesky layers sticking out of braids!) but is there maybe an LHC way (or even just a more methodic DIY way) of doing this?

truepeacenik
May 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM
If your town is sketchy on stylists, what about a trek to the closest large town/city?

Vrindi
May 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I found a girl on the street once who had the exact hair cut I wanted. I literally chased her down and asked her where she got it cut. I got the girl's name and when I went into the hairdresser, I mentioned the girl I'd seen. The hairdresser knew exactly what I was asking for, but I had a photo with me anyway. I found a great stylist this way.

Another stylist I had in Boston I'd met when I worked at a coffee shop. I saw her every morning and we talked hair. She knew exactly what I wanted, and I'd shown her several pictures of the layers I was going for. I wanted Nicole Kidman's hair from Practical Magic, but no bangs. That's what I got.

The last great stylist to do layers on my hair I was introduced to via my sister. She had great layers, and treated me to an appointment. The guy gave me exactly what I wanted and was thrilled to work with long hair.

I guess my advice would be don't be afraid to shop around for a stylist. Go in and talk to a few, ask a couple of questions, before you make an appointment. There are really good ones out there, but you have to hunt for them! You may even get the first cut there, and then have them show you how to trim up the ends between appointments, although with layers, I found that I'd have to have them professionally cleaned up every 6 months or so.

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I would go to a hair stylist for layers.

spirals
May 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Yes, it's a great compliment when you ask someone where he/she goes for hair cuts.

gonzobird
May 8th, 2013, 04:10 PM
you need to find someone that is capable of giving you what you want. I work in a salon and there'sover 50 stylists between 3 locations and I can think of like five of them that I would have/ had cut my hair.

what you need to do is to find someone who is really good and reliable. They are actually out there. I second finding someone that has hair that you really like and finding out where they get their haircut.

rock007junkie
May 8th, 2013, 04:24 PM
If you look up on YouTube. There are a lot of videos about how to do a layered cut with a CreaClip (http://creaproducts.com/store/). It's very easy to use.

akilina
May 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Eeeek Definitely trust your gut and do not do the pony tail method. Doing this will give you very uneven layers, as well as very thin ends in most cases. When you pull all the hair to the top and cut, all of the weight in your ends will be gone. Its also very possible you will have holes around your ears, and face framing that is far from remotely decent.

If it takes girls in school (and myself) several months to even be able to wrap their head around how to do layers correctly, I would never recommend someone who doesnt know much about hair cutting to cut their own.

The best advice that can be given would be to search high and low for someone who you could trust with your hair. Start asking friends and random people you see with hair you like. You might be surprised that some of the best hair cuts can come from places like the chain salons...

I know you dont want to hear that...but even as a hair dresser myself, I would never give someone advice to cut their own layers.

If you do find someone, just in case they don't ask the right questions in the consultation...Instead of saying something like "I want medium layers", tell them exactly where you want the shortest layers to hit at a reference point. To elaborate-My shortest layers start around my chin area, as does my face framing. You can use reference points like your chin, collar bone, shoulders, etc etc.

p.s. Who cares if someone disses you wanting layers??? Its your hair. No one should come along and try to convince you out of them because clearly you want them :o

maborosi
May 8th, 2013, 11:54 PM
You might want to go to someone to cut layers in.

I cut mine in and...uh....Well, they're alright, but I know a stylist could've done a whole lot better. If I ever want layers again, I'm going to someone.

~maborosi~

spirals
May 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I agree with akilina about the ponytail method. I once did that to my Barbie doll, and she looked like Jem. :lol: <---totally dating myself there Also, I agree if you don't know a lot about hair, don't cut your own. However, I've watched stylists put all kinds of layers in my hair over the years: graduated, overdirected, chunky end layers, etc. I'm very visual and I can picture now what someone did 20 years ago, and I put it into practice. I've been cutting my own layers for over at least 5 or 6 years. I have curly hair, but even when it's straight, I can see my handiwork is even. I'm just very good at eyeballing lengths; my mom is a seamstress.

Bagginslover
May 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM
The ponytail method isn't all bad. My avatar picture is the result of ponytail layers, and I loved them! They were much better than any layers I'd had put in by any stylist. What I did, was made sure that the hairs that would become my hemline once cut, weren't a the end of my ponytail (you could section them out completely if you wanted).

Carolyn
May 9th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I would never trust myself to do all over layers in my hair. I am quite good at doing my own bangs (long gone) and long layers angled up the sides of my hair. I watched how it was done by different stylists over the years and could easily do it myself. But layers in the back? No. If you see someone whose hair you love, by all means ask her where she gets her hair cut. I've done that 3 or 4 times and found a good stylist. If I were you I would consult with a few stylists until you find one you are comfortable with. You will get a vibe about her and if you want her to cut your hair. I've gone that route too with good results. If you don't want to take the time to do all that research then I would suggest an Aveda salon. I think they have excellent training and the stylists seem to have an ethic about wanting to please their clients. I've been to 5 different Aveda stylists and all have been great. One thing I've done when going to a particular salon for the first time is ask for someone who loves to work with long hair.

millyaulait
May 9th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks so much for all the ideas everyone! :flower:

I'm going to ask around for a great stylist! I won't be getting it cut until I reach waist, so I have a few months to go still. Plenty of time to search one out. :)

spidermom
May 9th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I've done the ponytail method for long layers; they turned out just fine.

Nightshade
May 9th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I do my own layers and love them :) This is last August, I did a V-cut and my own layering, and I even had DH check it and he said I did a pretty good job and there wasn't anything he found uneven.

Before, combed straight (my poor thin ends from a BCP to IUD shed):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WQk4oyHKKhM/UBwrw1Y81RI/AAAAAAAAC-g/V2iUZ4Gi5d0/s512/Cut-1.jpg

I did Feye's method using this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc) for the V cut:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0ZPFwVX8uFk/UBwrw02KRNI/AAAAAAAAC-o/BWK01B9ZRLg/s512/After-Cut-2.jpg

And that really wasn't enough. So I cut some more and did layers on the sides and back following this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHl3Wi4ghQk&feature=related):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j-PbkEasGQY/UBwr0GMkd0I/AAAAAAAAC_Y/XC_Evu7PYco/s512/V-shape.jpg

Total amount of hair taken off:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cKcD1xqk1Ag/UBwrxpzSZ7I/AAAAAAAAC-0/lwLHmFhazqQ/s640/Total-Hair.jpg

In a mini claw clip for scale:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-85uvbyiqtHo/UBwrxYU-YkI/AAAAAAAAC-s/nWbiPXjFcJ4/s640/Total-Hair-2.jpg

Annnd after:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nHwyXre8dbY/UBwrx2zEVUI/AAAAAAAAC-4/-xA86O-gQOk/s512/V-Cut-After-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xyLaAmbKBwU/UBws8R71kfI/AAAAAAAADAo/NC7XrlfhbBo/s512/V-Cut-Cropped.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3q-kj8lozpM/UBwr8vIsRuI/AAAAAAAAC_o/CZ5aCSo_XZE/s512/V%2520Cut.jpg

So I suppose it depends on what you're going for. With my waves I don't mind the risk of it not being perfectly even and I'm pretty confident on doing it again myself :) I just went super-slow and only took a little off at a time.

Nightshade
May 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Meant this as an ETA, but had too many pictures XD

ETA: Here it is now. I'm actually getting ready to do the same thing again to refresh the layers and take off the last bit of my thin ends:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sc2pARmUloA/UYu5wibQGvI/AAAAAAAAEeM/niA84hnq_M4/s512/Pinny-2-Small.jpg

UltraBella
May 9th, 2013, 11:25 PM
It really depends on the type of hair you have, the thickness and the look you are going for. The type of layers I have had when my hair was long -and short as well - can't be duplicated at home on your own. I'm a licensed professional and I wouldn't dare attempt it on my own head. Face framing layers, yes. All over layers, no. But I like a ton of perfectly blended layers. Someone else may not being as picky as I am and that's fine too. But in general there is a large difference between what you can give to yourself and what a talented stylist can give you.

spirals
May 10th, 2013, 12:45 AM
People ask me where I get my hair done, and I cut my all-over layers myself. I'd make a terrible stylist not because I don't know how to do it, but because I can only do it on myself. And I can be very picky about my layers. I personally have no need to go to a stylist. YMMV

kidari
May 10th, 2013, 12:58 AM
I agree that face framing layers and bangs and most times even the hemline is fairly easy to do on yourself. If you have thick hair it's hard to get the hemline even I noticed. All over layers and top layers in the back that are nice and blended are hard to do on yourself. I've been cutting my own layers for many years now and learned through a lot of experience cutting my own hair. There have been some really bad mistakes in the past but I learned from them. Top layers that are too short and not blended well into the length result in a shelved look where there is a noticeable step and can look mullet-like and horrendous (haha I had that for a while, self-inflicted). Also, too much blending and layering results in a messy shaggy frizzy mess and thins out your hemline too much. The methods where you haphazardly grab pieces can be dangerous, because then you end up with a rat tail for your length with more and more of your hair ending up as part of your shorter layers. When cutting layers, sectioning the right sections is crucial and that is hard to do on yourself. You need to know where to part your hair to cut them in and how to compare that to neighboring sections to make sure it's blended. Texturizing and thinning also can't be done every time or else your hair starts to look like it's thinning and looks frizzier. So getting to the point: the longer your hair, the thicker it is, the more complicated the layered style that you want the more it is probably not a good idea to do them yourself if you don't know what you are doing... but of course it can be done. After years of experience I am fairly satisfied with the layers I do on myself and all the mistakes I've done has helped me to become better at it. It was worth it that now I have figured out exactly what I want and how to achieve it every time and maintain length. Obviously it is not perfect and a skilled professional would do a much better job than me but the benefits of doing it myself is worth it to me. When I am having a bad day I know not to cut on that day. All of my past mistakes have been self-inflicted so it was easier to get over it and at least it helped me to get better at it. I would be more angry if someone else had done that to me. I have had amazing stylists in the past and even they have botched my hair a bit when they were overbooked, in a rush, or simply not in a good mood that day.