PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove perfume from hair?

legendya
May 8th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Hi, I went to the store today and a lady sprayed alot of perfume/body spray as I passed by. Now my clothes and hair smell terrible. The scent is giving me a headache too. Do you know of any way to remove perfume scent from hair (and clothes)? Will Trader Joes Tea tree tingle shampoo work? Should I wash 2x? How about ACV? (Also, should I wash the perfumed clothes separately from other dirty clothes? I don't want that scent on my other clothes...) Thanks! **UPDATE** Since it bothered me last night, I washed my hair with Trader Joes Tea tree tingle shampoo 3x and ACV rinsed 2x in between washes. My hair doesn't smell like it any longer. However, my skin smelled faintly of it the afternoon after I showered (weird...). I left the clothes to hang outside overnight and it seem like most of the scent is gone. I might try soaking it before washing it. Today the scent cloud got me yet again. I was walking home at night. I wanted to walk on the other side of the street but the sidewalk was closed off. I saw some teens hanging out, but it didn't occur to me that they were smoking weed or some kind of drug until I walked passed them. I saw one smoking a cigarette, but it didn't smell like one...it smelled strange...like herbs, skunk, and plastic melting. It was strong and pungent. I felt dizzy immediately afterwards (I felt great prior to that). I smelled it on my clothes and everything (glasses, shoes, and my food). I tried airing it out, but decided to toss my clothes. I'll try to wiping my glasses with alcohol. As for my shoes, oh well. I don't take drugs and sure don't want to smell like any. Ugh. Now I have yet another strong smell on my hair and body again. I'll have to wash my hair again and it's gonna be super dry and crispy. I hope the weed/drug smell will be removed easily and won't harm me. I wonder how long it takes to break down and if it will leave any residue. It's unbelievable how this happened to me twice in a row though... I guess there's a first time for everything.

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2013, 02:36 AM
It should wear off on its own.

Bagginslover
May 8th, 2013, 02:46 AM
I can't see why it wouldn't come off with your standard wash, my clothes never smell of anything but the washing stuff afterwards.

browneyedsusan
May 8th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Wash your hair and clothes. You don't have to do anything special. (I've never washed stinky clothes separately, but my clothes get stinky from farm animals, a different kind of stink!) It should come right out! Good luck!

faellen
May 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM
As above, you shouldn't have to do anything different than a normal wash.

neko_kawaii
May 8th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Ugh, I feel your pain. My nose is very sensitive to perfumes and on the occasions that I've accidentally used a highly perfumed product on my hair or laundry it takes multiple washes to remove the smell. I'd wash your affected clothes separately just to be on the safe side otherwise you could end up washing a while load multiple times. Perhaps a soak in the sink and handwash first if your machine doesn't have a small load setting? Use the products you would normally use, just be aware that it may take many washes to completely remove the smell.

PolarCathy
May 8th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Hair: I see no reason why it shouldn't come out with a simple wash. But if it doesn't, the simplest,if possible, raw tomato puree (if N/A, ketchup) should help. Even just tomato put in the blender, but then you might have bits in your hair later, that you can brush out after it's dry. Tomato is an excellent de-odorizer, in the literal sense. People use it to remove brassy or green stain from the hair (like swimming pool stain) but it works for strong odors too, proven, confirmed.

Clothes, I have no idea, everything came out with a simple wash so far. The only odor that I haven't managed to get out from certain (wool) clothes and I can't stand is cigarette smoke. I had to throw some things away because of that.

lunalocks
May 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
If they are clothes that have to be dry cleaned, hang them outside for a while, if not raining and the smell should dissipate. Otherwise usual washing, as well as your hair, should get the smell out.

spidermom
May 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I sympathize. I once tried a perfume spray during my lunch break and the scent gave me a headache all afternoon.

If the odor doesn't come out after a regular wash, I'd soak the clothes in a baking soda solution in the washing machine, then run the load. You can add more detergent if you want do, but I usually don't because the baking soda seems to be really good for removing any residual scent.

I've never noticed any scent lingering in my hair after a wash except once when the snake released musk on me. It took 3 washings to get that out.

Kaelee
May 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
It should come right out with no problems. Only thing I've had linger after a wash is cigarette smoke (and DF's particularly strong perfume oil, but I don't mind that one! ;))

Angelica
May 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
The scent will fade naturally anyway, doesn't need any special treatment, and just wash your hair normally.

Ahl
May 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
If the odor doesn't come out after a regular wash, I'd soak the clothes in a baking soda solution

^ This. :)

PraiseCheeses
May 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Thirding spidermom's recommendation for a baking soda soak. If your hair can tolerate a wash with a baking soda solution, there's another wash method with deodorizing properties. Follow up with an ACV rinse and a conditioner with a scent you like.

It's always the worst scents that seem to be the most stubborn, huh? (And did she spray stuff on you without your permission? shudder: :hatchet: What nerve!) Good luck!

truepeacenik
May 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I think a nice note to store management is in order,as well.
I rarely see the spray mafia anymore, but I have nightmares about the times some upscale perfume sent me to the ER from asthma complications as a kid. My mom was a great, loud advocate, as only a properly raised southern woman can be.

Good luck with the suggestions. I'd use airing and baking soda wash on the clothing. For hair, you are trying to lift alcohol with perhaps some oils, so your TJ's tea tree should work a treat, if you leave the suds on and (this is important) wash the length.

legendya
May 9th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Ugh, I feel your pain. My nose is very sensitive to perfumes and on the occasions that I've accidentally used a highly perfumed product on my hair or laundry it takes multiple washes to remove the smell. I'd wash your affected clothes separately just to be on the safe side otherwise you could end up washing a while load multiple times. Perhaps a soak in the sink and handwash first if your machine doesn't have a small load setting? Use the products you would normally use, just be aware that it may take many washes to completely remove the smell. I'm pretty sensitive to smells too. I hope it won't take that many washings to remove it.

legendya
May 9th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Hair: I see no reason why it shouldn't come out with a simple wash. But if it doesn't, the simplest,if possible, raw tomato puree (if N/A, ketchup) should help. Even just tomato put in the blender, but then you might have bits in your hair later, that you can brush out after it's dry. Tomato is an excellent de-odorizer, in the literal sense. People use it to remove brassy or green stain from the hair (like swimming pool stain) but it works for strong odors too, proven, confirmed. Clothes, I have no idea, everything came out with a simple wash so far. The only odor that I haven't managed to get out from certain (wool) clothes and I can't stand is cigarette smoke. I had to throw some things away because of that. I've heard of tomato being deodorizing. Thanks for reminding me. I hate cigarette smoke too. I finally managed to get rid of the perfume scent (see update) and today I happened to pass by a group of teens smoking weed or some drug (I think it was weed because it smelled strange....and looked like a cigarette...). Now I have that scent on me -_- ugh. I had to toss my clothes because it smelled stronger and I got all dizzy.

legendya
May 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I sympathize. I once tried a perfume spray during my lunch break and the scent gave me a headache all afternoon. If the odor doesn't come out after a regular wash, I'd soak the clothes in a baking soda solution in the washing machine, then run the load. You can add more detergent if you want do, but I usually don't because the baking soda seems to be really good for removing any residual scent. I've never noticed any scent lingering in my hair after a wash except once when the snake released musk on me. It took 3 washings to get that out. Hmm I'll try the baking soda soak if I get something super strong on my clothes again.

legendya
May 9th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Thirding spidermom's recommendation for a baking soda soak. If your hair can tolerate a wash with a baking soda solution, there's another wash method with deodorizing properties. Follow up with an ACV rinse and a conditioner with a scent you like. It's always the worst scents that seem to be the most stubborn, huh? (And did she spray stuff on you without your permission? shudder: :hatchet: What nerve!) Good luck! So true. I had that happen to me last year too. It's funny how someone always sprays the most putrid scents near me. It's even funnier that people actually use these scents. I think she sprayed it all around her and I just happened to walk into the perfume cloud. Ironically, I heard her say it doesn't smell good. I thought "That's right! Now it's all on me."

legendya
May 9th, 2013, 03:17 AM
I think a nice note to store management is in order,as well. I rarely see the spray mafia anymore, but I have nightmares about the times some upscale perfume sent me to the ER from asthma complications as a kid. My mom was a great, loud advocate, as only a properly raised southern woman can be. Good luck with the suggestions. I'd use airing and baking soda wash on the clothing. For hair, you are trying to lift alcohol with perhaps some oils, so your TJ's tea tree should work a treat, if you leave the suds on and (this is important) wash the length. It wasn't an employee that sprayed it; it was a customer. Wow, it must've been tough going to malls and department stores. Tons of perfumes there. I try avoiding perfume sections because I get headaches from perfumes now. Trader Joes Tea tree tingle shampoo did the trick.

busnutmedic
February 28th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Omg I feel your pain. It totally often does not come out with a simple wash! I have washed clothes with fabric softener on them 5+ times and the smell is still on them. It makes me reconsider if I get it at a thrift store because it has to be super washable. Hair is very difficult to get certain scents out of.

I hate that other people use scents that I can smell from a distance. I shouldn't be able to tell you were on the elevator before I got in it. People just don't understand what a problem it causes scent-sensitive individuals :(

cjk
February 28th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I literally hold my breath while passing through the cosmetics section of most stores, and actively avoid anyone with perfumed samples.

Disgusting.

Why anyone still does this is beyond my comprehension. I'm so sorry this happened to you.