PDA

View Full Version : Henna or go gray?

Mishka_84
May 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm starting to get more silver hairs, especially noticeable at the very front of my part. In another couple of years I'll have a full silver streak there. I've let my henna fade out, so my hair is currently a flat, mousy brown, that I used to hate but now I'm ok with it. I do love the henna more, but it's also a lot of work to maintain (especially with a toddler and an infant constantly in attendance!). So, my question is, what would you do? Keep maintaining henna to cover the gray? Or let your hair grow naturally, thus allowing the transition to gray to be more gradual?

leslissocool
May 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Are you willing to do the maintenance?

I think that's the question really. You like the henna better, so I'd say henna but in the end it's really weather you can keep doing it.

Anje
May 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I'm personally answering that one with "go gray" right now.

That said, my natural color is auburnish, so the color change isn't extreme, and I have enough issues with my scalp getting dry from henna that I'm motivated to not bother any longer. Also, I intend to have long gray hair one day, and I don't want to be growing it out at that point.

I'm not ruling out the use of any color at all.... The occasional gloss with Manic Panic is fun and not nearly as permanent.

shutterpillar
May 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I think it really comes down to personal preference. You said you like the henna more.... but are you willing to maintain it for the rest of your life? Do you plan to go gray as you get older? You would need to grow out the henna if that were the case.

I have quite a few silver hairs that will probably end up as a big clump of them in the next few years. I still plan to continue to grow out my dye and have my natural hair color. But, that is my personal preference for myself and what I would do in the same situation.

sisi33
May 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I didn't vote either way, as really, it's just up to you whether you want to keep up with the maintenance or not. Otherwise, I'm not much of a help, as I adore henna, but growing it out whilst having all that extra length is a pain, and the urge to henna is horrible. Ask me how I know this. :lol:

And, you can just do a gloss before doing a full head application of henna.

...This is probably the least helpful thing I've written this month... :rolleyes:

catasa
May 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I voted a little hastily, voted henna because I myself cover my grays before realizing that you actually asked an opinion on what you should do :oops:

Regarding your situation, I would say that since you have small children and a busy life and probably donīt need more things to keep up with, let it go gray! That said, as I mentioned, I myself do cover my grays since I really canīt stand them :) Itīs not so much the gray in itself, but the fact that my whole appearance alters, my favorite colors suddenly doesnīt suit me anymore etc.

I donīt use henna though, I use a semi-permanent organic hair colour (the brand is Santé, I donīt know if you can get it where you are, another brand is Logona (which I havenīt tried)). It isnīt as permanent and not as strongly colored as henna, so the roots doesnīt get so noticeable and the fading of the colour looks quite natural. There are also different tints to choose from so you could hopefully find something that cover your greys while still looking more like your natural colour. I do a colouring about every 4-5 week, but you could get away with a little less often.

Hope you find a good compromise! :)

Sunshineliz
May 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I was in a similar situation and decided to let it go gray. I almost went the henna (and indigo--I'm not one for orange) route but I would've loathed the maintenance. And I decided that the gray wasn't so bad after all. :)

Obviously I'm basing this off of my own experience, but if you don't like to keep up the henna and you're ok with your natural pre-gray color I'd at least give the gray a chance. Streaks can be fun! :D And henna, as you know, is very permanent.

door72067
May 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I gave up color 18 months ago because I couldn't imagine myself keeping up with maintenance as grew greyer, so i voted "go grey"

but it's really up to you if you want to continue with the commitment

Mishka_84
May 7th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Well, long term I do plan to go gray naturally. I love long silver hair! I can't wait until I can be one of those ladies with a really elegant updo in silver. ;) But I've got a few years left where I can keep dyeing. I'm kind of lucky, in that the henna does gradually darken to a shade of brown that's extremely close to my natural color. So I have maybe two months of weird roots before it's hard to see. In a few years though, as I get more silver it will be much more noticeable. So I'm just at a toss-up of what to do for these next couple of years. I do love the henna on me, but I loathe the maintenance, so I just don't know which way to go. Hearing what others chose to do is at least giving me more insight.

Vrindi
May 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I'm going grey. I don't like maintenance. I may do cassia for a light golden stain as it transitions, but from what I understand, the tint doesn't last. I may consider henna, but again, I dont' like maintenance.

spidermom
May 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Keeping up with coloring roots would feel like slavery to me, so I chose to let my hair do it's going white and silver thing. I think it's beautiful! But I started out blonde; it looks different on dark hair.

You can always go with a less permanent option if you ever want to spruce your hair color up for awhile but don't want to be a slave to coloring the roots every other month.

MonaMayfair
May 8th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I voted henna as lesser of the 2 evils, though I now loathe henna since I'm stuck with growing it out, I'd still rather have red than gray hair.
Though, if it were me, I'd color it with something else.

Venefica
May 8th, 2013, 07:55 AM
That depend on you and your tastes. I do not have gray hair but I have not seen my natural hair color in yeas. I am dark blond/light brown somewhere naturally but I dye my hair stark black and have for so long that I consider my hair to be black. Now when it comes to gray hairs, I think they can look dignifying, they can look cool, or they can make someone look old, it all depend on their appearance, what clothes they where and the natural color of their hair. It is impossible for me to give any advice without a picture, it all depend on what look you are going for and what you think look good on you. For some gray hairs look amazing for others not, it all depends and is very individual.

Hairitic
May 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Can't help it. I really don't like my frizzy, wiry, dull greay hair so I've bee Hennaing it for almost 2 years now and I love it. Actually, now I only do the roots each time. Will continue. ;)

I'm starting to get more silver hairs, especially noticeable at the very front of my part. In another couple of years I'll have a full silver streak there. I've let my henna fade out, so my hair is currently a flat, mousy brown, that I used to hate but now I'm ok with it. I do love the henna more, but it's also a lot of work to maintain (especially with a toddler and an infant constantly in attendance!). So, my question is, what would you do? Keep maintaining henna to cover the gray? Or let your hair grow naturally, thus allowing the transition to gray to be more gradual?

maborosi
May 8th, 2013, 08:15 AM
If you're used to maintenance, it doesn't seem like it should be an issue. (For me it's not- I do a root touch up every 3 weeks)

I'm biased though, I love henna!!

~maborosi~

Salmonberry
May 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I didn't vote cause you could do something in between the two choices. I know I couldn't deal with the kind of upkeep it takes to do roots on a regular basis. You could try doing a henna gloss every couple months and let it gradually fade. You could also try a color depositing shampoo that has henna in it. I've been using one by Shikai, and it adds a very subtle red tinge. (It doesn't cover my whites though, neither do my glosses for that matter.) I've also read about some Henna shampoo bars that gradually deposit color. I think Chagrin Valley makes some in several different shades. They could extend the time you can go without doing roots or help you gradually transition.

So yeah, you could try glosses and/or color depositing shampoos. I've only got a couple of white hairs right now though, so I really can't tell you how well they'll get covered if that's what you're trying to do. But, they may get slightly tinted and look like highlights! :)

PeacenQuietGal
May 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I think you should henna, but I'm thinking of your little ones. When mine were little, they would have been shocked to know how gray I was. I think it messes with their sense of security because, at that age, when they see gray, they think you must have one foot in the grave - like you could just go any day! Like you're ancient, suuuuuper old. I know mine felt better if Mom was young and strong, ya know? But I was a single parent, so that may have factored.

Sunshineliz
May 8th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Another thought--you could use cassia to make it golden and that washes out over time.
I think you should henna, but I'm thinking of your little ones. When mine were little, they would have been shocked to know how gray I was. I think it messes with their sense of security because, at that age, when they see gray, they think you must have one foot in the grave - like you could just go any day! Like you're ancient, suuuuuper old. I know mine felt better if Mom was young and strong, ya know? But I was a single parent, so that may have factored. I don't know, my kids don't seem to think I'm on my way to death. She's got a toddler and a baby and they tend to think anything mommy has and does is normal. It isn't usually until grade school that they start realizing other parents are different from theirs. My kids have all grown up with my gray hair and they are very used to it. Probably helped that it was gradual instead of a shock to them from me growing it out. In fact, DS9 only just realized that mommy has silver hair. :D (And then he said it needed to be cut off, but hey, he's got autism so the not noticing and then thinking it needed to be rid of drastically I would not consider typical.;))

cathair
May 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
My hair is going white pretty quickly. I voted go grey because it's what I am doing really. I don't like the idea of dying my hair permanently because I don't like the idea of losing track of what my real hair colour is. I might miss the last bit of brown go. Then I have secondary reasons like, I can't be bothered with the expense or the upkeep, or the ruining my bathroom every time I try it. I would also be worrying that it was hindering my hair getting any longer. Maybe I will change my mind at a later date when I am sick of it, I'm not sure. It sounds like you enjoy henna, maybe if you do it is more worthwhile to you?

SerinaDaith
May 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I said go gray but really it is your call. I am growing out the dye from over a year ago and learning to love the white, silver brown. I was dying my hair for so many years that I forgot I had some pretty natural highlights actually.

katsrevenge
May 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Well, I'm sitting here with a bloop of henna on my head so I guess you know what I voted.

I have the same grey pattern as you.. I just felt too old after I stopped chemical box dyes as they made me itch and had all this grey in my front.

When I'm more fully silver I'll probably reconsider. But for now, I don't mind henna treatments whenever I get an inch+ of roots. Then it is spa day!

Juanita
May 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I voted grey. But I coloured for years before. I needed to colour every three/four weeks. It took me five years to grow out and my hair just touches hip. I didn't want to go shorter. Hated the first year of growing out but didn't want to go back to the colouring. But hey it's hair you could see how it looks after a few months and if you dislike you can go back to henna or colour.
I was around 50 when I stopped and will be60 this year. Your decision will be what's right for you.

marykatz
May 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I think you should henna, but I'm thinking of your little ones. When mine were little, they would have been shocked to know how gray I was. I think it messes with their sense of security because, at that age, when they see gray, they think you must have one foot in the grave - like you could just go any day! Like you're ancient, suuuuuper old. I know mine felt better if Mom was young and strong, ya know? But I was a single parent, so that may have factored.

Exactly why I started hennaing my grays!! We had two family members and a pet die within three years so when my son said "Mommy, your hair is white, are going to go to heaven soon?" I figured maybe i should do something. I didn't want to give him something else to worry about.

PeacenQuietGal
May 8th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Join DateMar 2011LocationTNAge35Posts1,820Blog Entries22Feedback Score0

*Re: Henna or go gray?

Another thought--you could use cassia to make it golden and that washe

s out over time.*Originally Posted by*PeacenQuietGal*I think you should henna, but I'm thinking of your little ones. When mine were little, they would have been shocked to know how gray I was. I think it messes with their sense of security because, at that age, when they see gray, they think you must have one foot in the grave - like you could just go any day! Like you're ancient, suuuuuper old. I know mine felt better if Mom was young and strong, ya know? But I was a single parent, so that may have factored.I don't know, my kids don't seem to think I'm on my way to death. She's got a toddler and a baby and they tend to think anything mommy has and does is normal. It isn't usually until grade school that they start realizing other parents are different from theirs. My kids have all grown up with my gray hair and they are very used to it. Probably helped that it was gradual instead of a shock to them from me growing it out. In fact, DS9 only just realized that mommy has silver hair.**(And then he said it needed to be cut off, but hey, he's got autism so the not noticing and then thinking it needed to be rid of drastically I would not consider typical.)

Aww that is a cute story about your little fella Liz. I always deferred to my kids opinion on my gray when they were school age. If I hadn't though I wouldn't now be struggling with trying to find the right time and way to transition to my natural silvers. Ah well.

PeacenQuietGal
May 8th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Exactly why I started hennaing my grays!! We had two family members and a pet die within three years so when my son said "Mommy, your hair is white, are going to go to heaven soon?" I figured maybe i should do something. I didn't want to give him something else to worry about.

Yup, I came to the same conclusion!

chen bao jun
May 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Go gray and see what it looks like.
You can always henna later if you hate it. It might well be attractive. Gray hair very often is. One thing is for certain, gray roots are not attractive and with a baby, you will not have time.

Autumnberry
May 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Can't help it. I really don't like my frizzy, wiry, dull greay hair so I've bee Hennaing it for almost 2 years now and I love it. Actually, now I only do the roots each time. Will continue. ;)

Hairitic, you have some greys? Henna looks absolutely fantastic on your hair. When I get more grey (currently a bit in the front), I would be delighted to get that color from straight henna! But it would be mean touch ups every 2 - 3 weeks instead of my hennas every 3 months. This is indeed a question of a how much time one has to touch up. If it is just henna and no other herbs to deal with, I think I would go for it and continue to henna, and deal later with the possibility of having to grow out. But then again, I'm a henna addict (5 years +).

Othala
May 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Well, speaking from experience of being (a) grey (b) a henna-head and (c) a henndigo-head, I will give you my twopenneth.

You will not know what you want for sure until you try it for a while, so I say decide on either grey or henna FIRST and then when you get fed up of experiencing one thing, go for the other.

FYI, I am now embracing the grey.

Othala
May 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Double post! Mods please delete. Thanks.