PDA

View Full Version : Nape fuzz, breakage or new growth? How to manage?

Bagginslover
May 7th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I have always had a cloud of fuzzy, coarse, short hairs in the nape of my neck. as you can see from my avatar and sig photos, most of my hair is smooth and sleek, these hairs are coarse, wiry and kinky.

Its this most likely to be new growth or breakage do you think? (I'll try to take a photo later on).

Is there a way to manage these hairs? I do oil that area regularly-its the only scalp area I do oil, to try to condition and smooth them. They don't reach my updos (and if I do them lower, the front hairs don't reach as I have face framing layers for when its down), and bobby pins or clips don't seem to contain them.

Any ideaswonderful LHC'ers?

neko_kawaii
May 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
My nape hairs are naturally shorter, slower growing, and curly. Sometimes when my hair is up I'll pull them out and spritz them with water so that they can regain their curl and then leave them down and curly.

Bagginslover
May 7th, 2013, 08:27 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4256&d=1367936777

Managed to snap a pic, difficult to make them show up well, hence the sheet of paper!

cassie_g
May 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
My nape hairs are the same. Curly and short, dont reach my ponytail. They have always been like that so I never thought about them. I just ignore them.

Anje
May 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Mine are short, curly, and finer than most of my hair.

I'll admit to occasionally getting fed up with them and cutting them off! They never do grow long enough to reach an updo anyway, and every once in a while they'll get really tangled.

shutterpillar
May 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have them. I just ignore them, because I dont think there is much more I can do about it. They do help to soften updos, though. :)

ravenreed
May 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I spritz mine with water and they make adorable little curls. I like them.

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I ignore them.

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Me too,but mine are fairly calm and remain slicked into an updo unless they get rubbed down by scarves or my hands.That makes them easy to ignore.

I've seen people shave them off.

leslissocool
May 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I had chicken pox, lost 1/3 of ,my hair and now my nape is like shoulder length shudder: It's driving me insane!

My hair is really thick so it doesn't matter much, but the poof really gets to me!

ravenreed
May 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
When I had an ovary removed a couple of years ago, I lost probably a quarter or more of my hair. It is S...L...O...W...L...Y... growing back, but all the regrowth does get annoying.

I had chicken pox, lost 1/3 of ,my hair and now my nape is like shoulder length shudder: It's driving me insane!

My hair is really thick so it doesn't matter much, but the poof really gets to me!

Sharysa
May 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I just ignore them and keep them oiled and clean. It's a good thing I don't do updos much.

Isilme
May 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I trim them every once in awhile and try to keep them oiled. Mine just breaks and tangles and there is little I can do about it.

Kyaatje
May 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I ignored them until recently I got fed up and shaved them off :p
They never get longer then 5 cm and they are implanted strangely .... Off course I regret the shavin because now I need tao shave a lot or go through the slow oooo so slow process of growing them again !

~honeyflower~
May 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I think I see a trend here, I don't think its breakage or new growth. They just stop growing at some point.

panffle
May 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM
My mother and younger sister both have that. I think it's just the way the nape hair is for some, it doesn't grow long and curls.

emilia83
May 7th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I have always had these baby hairs at the front of my crown. It's almost like a receding hairline, but they've been there as long as I remember and they haven't gotten better or worse. The hair is thinner there and gets to maybe 5 inches, and then it just stops. It makes it impossible to do sleek updos, as my "wispies" escape any attempt to gel or hairspray them back. Makes it difficult to do the look where you pull down pieces to soften your face, too. I can't get a flattering piece from that part of my hair without pulling down a big chunk of hair that looks like I just forgot to put it up.

bo-peep
May 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM
If I'm wearing a necklace (most days), my nape hairs get caught in - or wrapped around - the chain. I always assumed short nape hairs were a result of necklace chain breakage.

Kaelee
May 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I ignore them. I have a fine, fragile type of hair on my nape and temples...the hair on my temples grows way down past my chin! It's crazy long for "naturally occurring sideburn" hair. :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I have these, Bagginslover and they are just the same as yours.

Mostly I just ignore them.
When I am not ignoring them I like them because they make such pretty curls which can only be seen when my hair is up, I think they make my neck look more dainty and feminine.
They never get any longer, and I don't care if my necklace catches on them, as they have such short terminal length anyway - I don't have to protect them so they can grow long.

Bagginslover
May 8th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I wish mine would make curls, I'd definitely like them more then! I can't shave them, they aren't at the edges of my hair, the come from all through that section, and poke out. I've tried oiling them to keep them up, but they are so wirey, their strong default position is to poke straight out again.
Back when I used styling products, I would mousse and hairspray them, and they'd still end up poking back out after an hour or so!
I don't wear necklaces, or much in the way of high collars, so its not abrasion, maybe I'll add that area to my monistat routine, see if I can get them to lengthen like I am with the hairs by my ears.

Thanks all, glad its normal at least :)