PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get my wavy/curly hair!

daredevil14
May 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Will soon reach my third anniversary of growing my hair! It's wavy/curly shoulder length when dry and BSL (I am a guy) when it's wet. The thing is that I have very annoying frizzy hair parts that are hidden inside my hair, they only appear when I wear a ponytail. Now after many attempts of trying several products, I was finally able to calm down and tame these parts by using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration deep mask as a CO-wash (it has a -cone though) and then applying a hair cream composed of Almond/Sesame/Olive/Coconut as a leave-in, my issue is 75% solved, my ponytail looks way better and the frizz parts are now curly!

Why am I still not being able to understand it? The next day I wake up, I usually wet my curly ends just to refresh them from sleeping and then (this is new) apply the leave-in cream. Now in the past, my curls will be thick and good after drying up from this wetting routine, but now they are thin and look wet-like which is not cool at all lol, I am starting to believe that this is because of this cream! I mean, it does a GREAT job on the shower day (maybe because my hair is fully wet?) but I only fully wash my hair 3 times a week so. (1 time would be soon by adding a sulfate Hello Hydration shampoo just to clear cones and to ease my oily hair!)

Any ideas why is that happening? 'd be getting a satin pillow in the near future as well!

spirals
May 6th, 2013, 12:23 AM
All I know is that my curls never look good unless it's wash day. Even if I re-wet, I just get frizz.

Sharysa
May 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Have you tried using oil as a leave-in instead of cream? Damp-oiling my hair's done a GREAT job keeping moisture with my waves and cutting down on frizz, and it sounds like the cream is too heavy for your hair.

Sweet-almond oil and coconut oil are really popular, and I use almond oil myself.

Neecola
May 7th, 2013, 11:46 AM
What happens when you use just water on non-wash days (not adding more leave-in)?

daredevil14
May 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Sharysa: I have this Vatika coconut oil, it looks a bit "heavy" and "greasy", I don't know... its smell is terrible as well!

Neecola: yeah, I've been doing that for like 2 years now, my ends will be refreshed and the length will be restored!

The thing is, before I go to bed, my hair is great, the frizz part is 80% calmed! Now after waking up, the frizz is bad again, have to re-wet ends, etc... so sleeping is one thing that ruins my hair! Maybe because of the non-satin pillow case? 'd be getting a satin one next month, but anyway it seems like nothing works with my hair LOL!

jeanniet
May 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM
If you're sleeping on a regular pillowcase, that is very likely the cause of the overnight frizz, especially if you're a restless sleeper. The friction on a rough surface is a major source of frizz.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Don't sleep :p

Seriously you will notice a big improvement when you get a silk or satin pillowcase or sleeping cap, it did wonders for my hair.

daredevil14
May 7th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Hahaha not sleeping seems a good solution :D

So anyway last night I took a shower and washed my hair with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo (had to, my hair was oily and been like 1.5/2 weeks without sulfate! Can't survive more!), then I applied this HEHH mask and combed my hair while doing that, lastly I applied the hair cream as a leave-in conditioner. My wet hair looked promising for a good dry hair after. But I had to go to bed (work!) so I put it in something that looks like a bun lol (still experimenting). When I woke up, it was still pretty damp, so I followed my usual routine; wetting ends.

But now at work, my ends don't look that good at all, unlike before! They are thin and chaotic, before they were thick and nice s-ended! Frizz is also there! What has changed? Did this happen because of the new combination of the products? (Silicone is inside 2 of them) Or this is simply because I slept with very wet hair on a non-satin/silk pillow case?

Awaiting your replies :)

Neecola
May 8th, 2013, 09:29 AM
So have you been having this problem ever since using the leave-in or did you start using the HEHH mask and leave-in at the same time?

Wildcat Diva
May 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Have you tried a misting bottle and then scrunching your curls? That always helps me.

spidermom
May 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM
With the leave-in, you will probably have to clarify more often. I am finding that to be the case with my new shampoo and conditioner. It's very rich with palm oil and argan oil, and I have to clarify about every two weeks to keep my hair from becoming dull and limp-looking. I have the VO5 clarifying shampoo; it works very well.

I understand the frizz problem. I have an area behind each ear that can either spiral curl very nicely or becomes a ball of steel wool-like frizz. Wetting it and applying gel helps a lot - either styling gel or aloe vera gel. Oh, and after applying the gel, I twirl the hair around my fingers to get the spiral started.

Wildcat Diva
May 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Also, the satin sleeping caps are $3 at Sally's. I have one that looks like a muffin cap. Can you get to a Sally's posthaste?

daredevil14
May 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
If you mean by "problem" the frizzy parts, then well, this is from like 2 years now!

As for the other problem, Yeah I started using them at the same time. Well, I moved to a new country and I couldn't find my usual Garnier Mask so I started experimenting with products, what happened last night/today is maybe due to the HEHH shampoo + sleeping wet & chaotic, maybe I should change the shampoo again since it also has a cone! (1 in the mask is enough!) I love the combination of the mask and the cream though!

EDIT: (just seen the new replies) well I will get a satin pillow soon. No problem for me using a sulfate-shampoo as I have to from time to time (once a week, usually) but I have to find a good one! It seems that HEHH shampoo is not for me, in the past I used a Garnier one, it was better.

Wildcat Diva
May 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
This is the cap that I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B003I5SC72/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

I have tried it with just balling my damp hair up into my fist at the top of my head as much as I can. Then slipping the cap on over my hand and hair, and then extracting my hand. This scrunched my curls up and I had nice hair in the morning. I have also done a loose cinnabun held with a spin pin on the top of my head, then added the cap.

It's not exactly an attractive look.

Neecola
May 8th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Sounds like more experimentation is in order, daredevil.

I've had frizz prone hair my whole life and while experimentation has definitely helped me find the things that minimize it, I don't think I'll ever eliminate it completely -- it seems to just be a part of my hair's makeup. :)

Hmmmm, that sleep cap idea is something to keep in mind, Wildcat Diva.

daredevil14
May 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the replies dear people. :)

Updates: I took a shower before 5 hours after arriving from work, I only CO-washed with HEHH deep mask and applied the cream which I mentioned earlier as a leave-in and guess what? My hair is absolutely awesome! My thick s-curls are back, the ends are great and the frizz is again 80% reduced!

So now I am like narrowing the possibilities of my issue! Will sleeping ruin the awesome state I have now while typing? Maybe. Is the heavy (sulfate+cone) HEHH shampoo which I used was the cause of the terrible, dry, thin-ended hair which I anxiously had the whole day? Again, maybe... Or maybe just because I slept with wet hair yesterday.

So I am gonna give the shampoo one more chance (after a week, since I only wash once per week) but during the day so that I have time for it to dry in order to inspect the real reasons behind my issue! Meanwhile, I should get a satin pillow case too!

spirals
May 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I always have halo frizz. Despite that, I get compliments on my curls. People don't notice frizz as much as we do, I think.

daredevil14
May 9th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I always have halo frizz. Despite that, I get compliments on my curls. People don't notice frizz as much as we do, I think.

Indeed! NO one has ever mentioned anything the frizz area which I have, it seems that we always exaggerate our issues.

So anyway after waking up, my hair surprisingly felt great! My thick s-curls are still fully-shaped and bouncing (literally when walking :D), my routine was just wetting my ends after waking up, this is a great result! Now for the frizz part, since yesterday it was like 80% tamed, 2nd day I can say that it dropped to 50%. This is, of course, due to sleeping and my non-satin pillow case.

Anyway, I feel great today! :D

Neecola
May 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Glad you're feeling better today daredevil!

Sharysa
May 9th, 2013, 11:25 AM

This. I have a ceaseless halo of stray hairs from S&D, and they only sometimes behave properly for the "face-framing tendrils" look.

Sometimes I get more compliments on the frizzy days.

spirals
May 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
^ I do. It perplexes me.