PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on chopping to one length?

Fluffy01
May 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I have an appointment for a trim on Friday. My hair is curly, fine, but thick. It gets tangled with the layers I have and I wonder if it would be more manageable one length. I don't wear it down that often and when I do I would be happy to have some weight holding it down. However I can't decide if I want to lose all that length. My longest layer is mid back pulled straight when wet. My shortest layer is shoulder length-ish. What would you do? My compromise might be to chop 2 or 3 inches off the bottom and wait until the short layer gets mid back or BSL?

kidari
May 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I would just not get the layers trimmed but get the hemline trimmed a good amount and keep doing this until it's gradually one length. Shorter, one length hair on curly hair can make it looks like a pyramid. The length might be more beneficial to weigh down the curls.

jasper
May 5th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I would do the 2 to 3 inches and wait on the layers.

Wildcat Diva
May 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM
There us no way I would cut to shoulder. I would just cut two inches off the bottom and wait.

Night_Kitten
May 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM
I have no experience with curly hair, but from what I read layers on shorter curly hair help it lay better, so cutting all to one length at shoulder might actually make the tangles worse... Slowly trimming the longest layer bit by bit sounds like a good plan, as by the time you get to all one length your hair will be a bit longer and will be weighed down more and lay better... And you won't be loosing much length that way, which is also a plus :)

MissAlida
May 6th, 2013, 04:07 AM
If you cut it one length now, there is a big probability that you will end up with a triangle-head. And that's not very pretty. I think you should trim more off of the hemline, and just tidy a bit the layers. This is what I have done, and now I have longer layers with a nice hemline at almost BSL.:)

Suze2012
May 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM
If you cut it one length now, there is a big probability that you will end up with a triangle-head. And that's not very pretty. I think you should trim more off of the hemline, and just tidy a bit the layers. This is what I have done, and now I have longer layers with a nice hemline at almost BSL.:)

I would suggest this also. But be aware that your hair may just be tangle prone.

I have curly hair and my length is BSL or slightly longer when dry. my layers are graduated up to chin length but I don't really get tangles. I only had the much shorter layers cut in a couple of months ago and haven't noticed any change in tangling and I wear my hair down always in whatever weather and only put it up for when I sleep.

PinkyCat
May 6th, 2013, 11:56 AM
As a curly with fine & thick hair also - may I recommend one length with a U or V hemline. You only get triangle head if you cut it straight across. :)

Vrindi
May 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I would get a trim, and keep an eye on splits in the layers, just S&D them. If your hair is curly and thick/fine, then shoulder-length and blunt might drive you crazy. I have fine, wavy hair, but lots of it, and although it looked great at shoulder length, it was in my way ALL THE TIME. I find that this texture of hair is much easier to deal with the longer it is. Also, it's going to tangle anyway. Mine is blunt and to my hips now, and tangles. There's never been a length or a cut when it didn't tangle. I've had layers and blunt cuts. I keep it oiled and that really helps. I finger comb it gently all the time, and tangle teezer it about twice a day, and it's not really a problem.

AnnaB
May 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I am with everyone above. Just get a trim, it's better to have some length and gradually trim it to one level than go for a drastic chop.

AnnaJamila
May 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Personally I would say that tangling has more to do with the condition of the hair than the way it's been cut. I'd say ask for a nice healthy trim that maybe brought the layers closer together. Hope you like what you end up with! :)

jacqueline101
May 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I'd try to trim the long part let the layers grow out. I'm not a curly haired person I'd hate to see you cut off your hair.

longhairedlady
May 6th, 2013, 02:34 PM
If its not damaged then I dont think I would cut it that much. Maybe maintain until some of the layers have caught up, and then change the hairline? When my hair was permed, I had a layers and a very deep v hemline.

Fluffy01
May 6th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Okay ladies...thanks! I will just get a trim off the bottom. :) I thought I might miss my length too lol.

jeanniet
May 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
When I grew out my layers I just did it by trimming up one layer at a time--so in other words, trim up to the next layer, which isn't usually very much. It takes a while, but eventually you'll get rid of the layers without ever losing much length. If your hair is fine and curly, though, it'll probably always tangle pretty easily. My fine hairs are always wrapping around my M/C hairs.

PraiseCheeses
May 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Okay ladies...thanks! I will just get a trim off the bottom. :) I thought I might miss my length too lol.

It's a relief to read this... I was coming into the thread with guns blazing to yell BEWARE THE TRIANGLE HEAD!!! Curly hair, especially thick curly hair, will become a pyramid if it's too blunt. (Natural taper at longer lengths solves this problem.) You're definitely making the right choice to just trim a little bit - and you will keep your length! :)

Wildcat Diva
May 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah, no one wants a triangle head. Disaster averted.

TheVegan6
October 2nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
I don't really care what my hemline looks like, unless it's damaged, so I wouldn't cut to one length. My ends are kind of fairytail-y but they are pretty thick and not damaged.