PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends on Very Short Hair?

dragonfly90
May 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I shaved my head almost completely bald around eight months ago because it was extremely damaged from over-bleaching. I now have 3-4 inches of growth, but the ends seem very coarse/split. I'm wondering if it's possible to gets splits in such a short amount of time.

Kiwiwi
May 5th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hmm, how do you dry your hair?
Do you go wild with a towel, rubbing it a lot?
Maybe that could be causing split ends.

What products are you using? Maybe your hair really doesn't agree with them.

But are they really split? Because you said they "seem" split. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

Seeshami
May 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Of course. Short hair is harder to protect because you can't put it up so the ends are out there. Also how you wash and dry can effect the condition of your hair and if the clippers that shaved your head were not sharp they could have caused a white dot on the end of your hair and it's just now turning into a full split.

Salmonberry
May 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Have you had it trimmed at all since shaving? If you've ever seen those ultra magnified pictures of hair under a microscope after it's been cut by a razor, especially if it's an electric one, you'll see that it creates very rough jagged ends. That will create splits on even the most well cared for short hair. If you haven't gotten a trim since you shaved it, then I'd suggest going to a salon/barber that uses very sharp high quality shears. You probably only need a micro-trim just to get some fresh new ends.

Audhumla
May 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I agree with Salmonberry the cutting method was to blame. People who cut their hair with blunt scissors etc get the same thing.
If you get your damaged ends trimmed with hair scissors it'll leave a clean end and you'll be split-free.

jacqueline101
May 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'd say it was caused by dull clipper blades or you're rubbing your head too hard with a towel.

Suze2012
May 6th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Have you had it trimmed at all since shaving? If you've ever seen those ultra magnified pictures of hair under a microscope after it's been cut by a razor, especially if it's an electric one, you'll see that it creates very rough jagged ends. That will create splits on even the most well cared for short hair. If you haven't gotten a trim since you shaved it, then I'd suggest going to a salon/barber that uses very sharp high quality shears. You probably only need a micro-trim just to get some fresh new ends.

I agree with this that it probably needs a trim.

sisi33
May 6th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Yep, I would go to a barber, and have them do an all over trim, and get rid if the clippered ends.