PDA

View Full Version : I made a hair tutorial!

Quixii
May 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
This is my go-to hair style, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a tutorial for it. I've never done this before, so be gentle, but please let me know what you think. :o

[link to video (http://youtu.be/9uGkbuwgsH8)]

ETA: I finally made another! I always get questions on how I do a Hawser braid, so I made a tutorial (http://youtu.be/BxEmuhz0Ews).
I tried to address some of the issues people commented on with the last one. I used my voice instead of subtitles, and I found a blank wall as the background. Let me know whether that works or not. :)

ravenheather
May 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
That's a great tutorial. Very clear what you are doing. I can't wait to have enough hair to try it.

allycat
May 2nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
I love it!

neko_kawaii
May 2nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
Very clear tutorial, but the dropping text makes my eyes go buggy, hehe.

long&blonde
May 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
Very clear instructions!

I plan to try the bun version.

Mamiberisha
May 2nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Very nice video!

melusine963
May 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM
Once my ends are less straggly I might try this. It would be fun to have a style that makes it feel as though my hair is short again. :)

MegaMystery
May 3rd, 2013, 01:34 AM
Love it! My hair is just about 10 cm too short to wrap around once properly, so I'll have to try this next year or so :)

juliaxena
May 3rd, 2013, 02:05 AM
That looks great! And I said it before (you probably don't remember) and I will say it again, you have the prettiest curls I have ever seen!

Quixii
May 3rd, 2013, 02:05 AM
Love it! My hair is just about 10 cm too short to wrap around once properly, so I'll have to try this next year or so :)
Thanks for that! I have no idea what other lengths work with this, so I'm glad that you tried it and could tell how much more length you'd need.

I might try this. It would be fun to have a style that makes it feel as though my hair is short again. :)
It is fun! The first couple times I wore this, I kept shaking my head back and forth just because it was so fun to feel a short fluffly ponytail. To be honest, I still do that pretty often. :)

That looks great! And I said it before (you probably don't remember) and I will say it again, you have the prettiest curls I have ever seen!
Aww, thanks. :o

And thanks everyone else for your comments. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2013, 02:54 AM
Thanks for that lovely tutorial, must go and try it, hope my hair is long enough! Haven't seen that style before!

ETA: I get a ponytail about 2 inches long... Ok, this one will have to wait a year or so, lol. But it is so beautiful!

Accalia
May 3rd, 2013, 03:16 AM
Love it! And you have beautiful hair! :D

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Nice video.

sisi33
May 3rd, 2013, 08:39 AM
I liked it! Very clear instuctions, but I really couldn't take how shiny and soft your hair looked!

Fairlight63
May 3rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Thank you for making the video! You did a good job. Your hair is really beautiful!

arelrios
May 3rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
I loved it. It seems pretty easy. I don't have enough length yet, but I think I will try the bun version when I do ;)

Khristopher
May 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Good tutorial!! Your hair is sooooo long and the texture is gorgeous :crush: I'm going to try it tomorrow!

silverthread
May 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Well done and easy to understand. Your hair is beautiful.

Rosethorn
May 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
I really liked it. The text made it easy to follow what you were doing. This is one of those hairstyles that is so cute on curlies.

Quixii
May 3rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks so much for such a positive response, everyone! :flower:

Okay, I have to ask - since I did get a positive response - does any one have requests for a new tutorial for me to do? :)

Vrindi
May 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Excellent tutorial directions. Your instructions are very clear.

My critiques are based solely on the fact that I make videos for a living, and not on the content, which was excellent.
- Having some kind of music track would be a great idea. There's lots of royalty free music out there.
- If possible, try to find a background that is as empty as possible. You could hang a solid color sheet up on a wall or something.
- The dropping text is great for titles, but maybe have the instructions just appear at the bottom.

Your hair is beautiful, and I loved the photos of how you dress the style up or down depending on what you need. Very nice!

Yay! Your first video! :happydance:

Quixii
May 3rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Excellent tutorial directions. Your instructions are very clear.

My critiques are based solely on the fact that I make videos for a living, and not on the content, which was excellent.
- Having some kind of music track would be a great idea. There's lots of royalty free music out there.
- If possible, try to find a background that is as empty as possible. You could hang a solid color sheet up on a wall or something.
- The dropping text is great for titles, but maybe have the instructions just appear at the bottom.

Your hair is beautiful, and I loved the photos of how you dress the style up or down depending on what you need. Very nice!

Yay! Your first video! :happydance:
Thank you. :) Critiques are important too!

Just to respond:
a) I went back and forth on music several times before I decided on none. Personally, I tend to mute tutorials and play my own music anyway, or get distracted by the music some people choose. But I'm still not sure if I'm happy with a totally silent video, either. I may end up adding music to it and any future videos, yet.
b) True. The lighting in my dorm mean it worked best to go in front of the window, which then has the background being the rest of the room, which I'm not happy with. I'm still investigating how to do that better.
c) Also true. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the video, and the only option for a background for captions (because no background looked odd for captions with more than one line) was that one with dropping, or another one that came in from the side that I didn't like the colours of. :rolleyes: Do you know of any other free editing programs that might have more/better options?

Thanks again. :)

heidi w.
May 3rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Super neat and super easy!
Thank you...great tutorial by the way; I just watched you twist it all up.
heidi w.

Quixii
May 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Super neat and super easy!
Thank you...great tutorial by the way; I just watched you twist it all up.
heidi w.
Thanks heidi, that means a lot coming from you!

leslissocool
May 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Oooh such a great and easy updo, I'm going to try it!

PraiseCheeses
May 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM
Well done and very pretty! It was very easy to see exactly what you were doing - IMO the most important thing for a tutorial. :) Your hair is so gorgeous!

I've taken to sometimes wearing my hair similarly, except I only have enough hair to wrap around once. It's nice to see that it's not a style I'll grow out of eventually.

Lostsoule77
May 4th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Thank you for the video. I haven't been able to do a short hair style since my hair was around waist. I think this will be perfect! The video wasn't the best out there, but I could tell what you were doing and it had clear instructions. Makes it a good video to me. :)

lapushka
May 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Wonderful tutorial. The first method is kinda not unlike the way we do my peacock twist, but without looping the hair through at the end (and without ponytailing first).

MasCat
May 5th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Great hair, great vid.

It's one of those have your bun and eat it" styles that allows to wear your hair loose and not tangle the whole length at the same time :)

Neecola
May 5th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Very easy to understand video! The instructions were very clear and my, what beautiful hair you have!

Please do more!

Quixii
June 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I finally made another! I always get questions on how I do a Hawser braid, so I made a tutorial (http://youtu.be/BxEmuhz0Ews).
I tried to address some of the issues people commented on with the last one. I used my voice instead of subtitles, and I found a blank wall as the background. Let me know whether that works or not. :)

Vanilla
June 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks, just watched the hawser braid tutorial. :). Very clear and loved it :)