PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help-- 50s, pinup, or rockabilly updos for classic+ hair?

eternallyverdan
May 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hey all,

I have a concert tonight and I'm going with a 50's-themed look, and I have had absolutely no luck finding styles that work with my length! Victory rolls are comically huge and fall out almost immediately, I can't get a beehive to smooth out with all this hair in the way, and most other stuff is a little more subtle than I'm looking for. Any thoughts? I have to be there in about 3 hours, so it can't be anything that takes loads and loads of time.

Thanks!

kme81
May 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM
Maybe a snood with abbreviated victory rolls...as in only rolling your hair at the roots for one or two rolls. (if that makes any sense)

I also find that french roped sides into some sort of bun can look a bit 50's.

Chromis
May 1st, 2013, 02:40 PM
I got this idea from a post here ages ago, but I don't recalled the thread itself. Might have been called the inside out bun or exploded bun?

Anyhow, you take your hair and twist as if to do a cinnabun, but instead of coiling around and around, you pin them kind of next to one another moving across the back of your head.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6751239325_798a251a2a.jpg
It likely is not "authentic" but since rockabilly is usually more 50's-inspired I think it works quite well.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6184/6107273355_135c340da6.jpg
Here is another version of it. Looks different each time.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6022/5960663129_9fceb12fc0.jpg
Ah and here's the closest shot I have on hand. It is a little fiddly, but not three hours of fiddly, maybe 15 or 20 minutes (especially the first time)

eternallyverdan
May 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
Maybe a snood with abbreviated victory rolls...as in only rolling your hair at the roots for one or two rolls. (if that makes any sense)

I also find that french roped sides into some sort of bun can look a bit 50's.

I shall give that second one a trial run! I just cannot get pin curls to hold for the life of me-- they just get big and frizzy and weird-looking no matter what I try to keep them where I want them.

I got this idea from a post here ages ago, but I don't recalled the thread itself. Might have been called the inside out bun or exploded bun?

Anyhow, you take your hair and twist as if to do a cinnabun, but instead of coiling around and around, you pin them kind of next to one another moving across the back of your head.

It likely is not "authentic" but since rockabilly is usually more 50's-inspired I think it works quite well.

Here is another version of it. Looks different each time.

Ah and here's the closest shot I have on hand. It is a little fiddly, but not three hours of fiddly, maybe 15 or 20 minutes (especially the first time)

This might work really well! I'll try it out with some fun stuff at the front for added interest and see how it goes.

Thank you both so much! Google was just not doing the trick here.

Thinthondiel
May 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
I have the same dress as you, Chromis. :)

Chromis
May 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Yay, dress twins!

heidi w.
May 1st, 2013, 04:49 PM
Gibson hair bun is silly, stupid EASY. Put hair in ponytail, grab the ponytail, make a little hole above the band holding the hair in ponytail, and stuff the hair length in the hole. Place a hair ornament over the hole in the hair to cover up the hole, and have a grand time. Takes about ten minutes to make.
I saw this done on youtube and got the hang of it immediately.
By the way, what do you play or what are you playing for your concert? I'm a musician too. I love talking music with know-it-all's or some.
heidi w.

eternallyverdan
May 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice, ladies! Heidi, I've tried the Gibson tuck a few times and I think my hair is too straight for it-- it never comes out looking right.

I ended up doing kind of a pompadour look in the front (just a section of hair secured with bobby pins and pushed forward for volume), and then did a big cinnamon bun high on my head to kind of mimic the beehive look. It turned out pretty nice! Unfortunately I only have a really bad picture of it, because I started to take it down and then remembered I wanted pictures, so I sloppily put it up again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/50sback_zpsc3ede852.jpg

Fun story: I was having an absolute beast of a time getting my hair up in a high ponytail, and it kept pulling itself back down because it was too heavy, so I ended up draping my ponytail over the shower curtain rod. :p I looked extremely silly, but hey, it worked!

Heidi, I mostly sing, but just for fun-- tonight was Broadway-themed, so I did Anything Goes, and tomorrow I'm doing another concert where I'll be singing Danza, danza, fanciulla gentile. You play the flute, right? I also dabble in the harp.

GoldberryHair
May 2nd, 2013, 06:06 PM
TorrinPaige has a few new 50's inspired tutorials on YT and shes classicish.

Thinthondiel
May 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
I really like the hairdo you went with! It looks great, and really does have that beehive look. :)

lapushka
May 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Torrin just posted a few beehive looks! HTH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6wZBH_oUU