PDA

View Full Version : Wavy/curly hair with frizzy parts...

daredevil14
May 1st, 2013, 03:59 AM
So as the subject says it all, the frizzy area is quite large, it starts from the root (most of my backhead) and I am not sure if it's "frizz" or just my natural hair! (With time, I am discovering that it's just my natural hair and I am trying my best to "change" it, that's why it's not changing). More "healthier" areas of my hair are pretty curly (3b I think) and easy to comb while wet in the shower. I never did any coloring, I never used any heating devices (maybe 3 times in the past 3 years when I started to grow my hair long; I am a guy), I only did 2 chemical straightnenings in the first year and once in the 2nd year and I stopped! I tried addressing my issue many time but no success, I used many products from shampoos to conditioners to masks to coconut oil now and I even followed the curly-girl method but with no success!

Now the thing is, during the curly-girl method, my hair "felt" better but I can't survive without a shampoo as my hair oils immediately.

My worst nightmare? In the morning, I wake up, wet my hair and put it in a ponytail for work, now after 12 hours when I want to remove the pony tail, my hair feels and looks extremely bad, the frizzy area is way frizzy, really don't know what words to use to describe it!

Any helpful tips? Please don't mention general tips for curly hair like no brushing, only wet-combing with conditioner, etc... I read alot :P! Deep conditioning products I can't seem to find lol and it's not possible to do anything at home! I am afraid that it's worsening with time and length.

EDIT: I've been wetting (just plain water) my hair everyday (for the past 1 year and a half), usually when I wake up (just to refresh my ends from sleeping), may this be contributing to the above issue? Thanks!

minxe
May 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
It might be mechanical damage from the ties you use to put your hair in a ponytail.

irisheyes
May 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM
Do you spend time in the sun? This sounds like a situation I've seen before in both my son and my daughter. If you wear a ponytail every day and spend time in the sun, that area on the back of your head can become weathered and end up looking frizzy and feeling rough. I suggest wearing a hat to protect your hair. Also, if you can, try to wear it bunned until the damage grows out. It takes time to grow out the damage, so patience is needed. I had a spot like that on the front of my hair that I thought was just natural, too. It was frazzled from dye and using a curling iron. That spot took forever to grow out!

daredevil14
May 2nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
@minxe: really? How can I know?

@irisheyes: Haha not really, I am a nightbird! I rarely go out in the sun!

Another thing to note about the frizzy part: the length can be calmed down by twisting it in a large loose braid and by many ways. However, the root is the main issue, as the frizzy hair is growing "like that" from the root! Is this helpful?

I just bought this Herbal Essences Hellow Hydration Deep Mask to use it for cleaning and combing (guess I will be back to CO-wash), it has a -cone though, also bought this coconut oil cream as a light leave-in product, let's see...

EDIT: after reading more and more, I discovered that my main issue is called: "frizzy roots"! Any idea about that? Also could it due to hair regrowth, since I chemically straightened it in the past?

LadyCelestina
May 2nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
That's regrowth probably,or breakage.I get that too and it looks crazy,like tentacles.

I smooth it down with comb lightly sprayed with hairspray - it lays smoothly afterwards.

Anje
May 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Chances are that it's the way your natural texture is, honestly. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but it might be something that you have to baby and make your peace with.

As people around here can tell you, I'm fond of the SMT moisture treatment. There's a thread, but the basic recipe is 4 units of conditioner, 1 unit of clear aloe gel, and 1 unit of honey (or similar -- I use corn syrup). Let a "unit" be whatever works for you: a Tablespoon, a coffee scoop, whatever. Warm it up a bit, apply to hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic bag, wrap a towel around it, and let it sit at least 30 minutes. If all goes well, your hair should come out softer, silkier, and more moisturized. I find mine's a lot easier to detangle, too.

daredevil14
May 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Thank you LadyCelestina and Anje for your replies :)

Some positive updates: So I used this Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Deep Mask as a CO-wash (it contains a cone though; Dimethicone), then I applied this leave-in hair cream which is composed of Almond/Sesame/Olive/Coconut, I can say that my issue is 75% solved! Some light frizz is still there though, however if I continue to experience such improvement, I will be more than satisfied! (followed this method 2 times so far with same good outcomes).

Any thoughts? I will be adding the Hello Hydration Sulfate Shampoo just for an once-per-week wash for clearing cones and also easing my oily hair.

LadyCelestina
May 9th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Honestly? Post pics please! :D I love to see frizz free curls :)