PDA

View Full Version : Zinc for Hair Thinning and Loss

Maelyssa
April 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I don't have the magazine article I read this in recently so I can't make exact quotes but....
In the Ask the Doctor section they said hair loss and thinning may result from low levels of zinc. They suggest either increasing foods that contain zinc or a supplement.
I don't suffer from the thinning or loss at the moment but if anyone tries this I'd love to know if they get positive results.
Hope this helps someone out there!

SpecialKitty
April 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hair thinning and loss can be caused by a variety of problems and deficiencies - hypo or hyperthyroid, anemia (iron deficiency), stress, genetics....it would be best to visit a doctor or naturopath to figure out what may be causing this.

Anje
April 30th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Agreed. Hair thinning and loss seem to be a general indicator that something is wrong with your body. That can include all kinds of deficiencies, not just zinc, as well as many other imbalances. I'd take it as a sign that I need to clean up my act with diet and self-care, and if it doesn't get better, see a doctor. Don't just start randomly supplementing beyond the basics like a multivitamin without at least some further research.

Angelica
May 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Diabetes can be another cause and lack of calcium. I have heard of the zinc thing too, apparently you need zinc to help with the iron, and then you need vitamin c in order to help you absorb iron. Many hair vitamins contact zinc as part of the ingredient.

PeacenQuietGal
May 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Maelyssa I have read an article that stated that Zinc and Magnesium are good for hair growth support. And, at one time i did supplement with zinc and magnesium but i dont remember what my results were. But yes, I have read the same. I want to say it was in Glamour magazine.