PDA

View Full Version : Honey in conditioner

MoonLightFairy
April 29th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I've read a bunch of threads about putting honey in conditioner to make hair soft and shiny. I also read its suppose to lighten your hair. Is that why when people want to use it to moisturize their hair they microwave it first? Or does it have to be warm for it to work as a conditioner?
Also, this is a deep conditioning treatment where you let it sit for an hour or so? Or just normal ol' washin your hair in the shower?
Thanks! ;)

DancingQueen
April 30th, 2013, 12:29 AM
I use a conditioner with honey (moisturizing series from rainforest), and although I didn't put it in there myself, my hair is almost always soft and shiny after use. If my hair have lightened a tiny bit, I haven't noticed. I use another shampoo though, as the matching shampoo is too heavy for my hair. :)

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/bath-body-care/haircare/rainforest-moisture-conditioner.aspx

kidari
April 30th, 2013, 12:34 AM
I have read some people mix honey with their conditioner right in their hand at the moment they are about to use it. I don't want any lightening or potential peroxide damage, which is the reason why I always microwave mine first. Also, if you warm up any conditioner or treatment it allows better penetration into the hair shaft anyhow. I first discovered honey with SMTs but I've since tried the SMT as a CO wash. Now sometimes I mix two conditioners and add microwaved honey to it. My hair looks fuller, thicker, and shinier when I add honey. It feels softer and stronger also.

Sham
April 30th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I add honey to a tea rinse (for shedding) and it always makes my hair soft

Anje
April 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM
The proportions of honey and conditioner are different for those seeking to lighten their hair than those who just want moisture. For lightening noticeably, it takes a LOT of honey. Microwaving the honey is supposed to denature the enzyme that creates peroxide and therefore prevents lightening.

However, if you mix it up well in advance, you should consider that you're diluting the preservatives in your conditioner, adding enough water to the honey to allow microbial growth (increasing its water activity), and essentially making sugar water. So whatever you do, don't make too much at once if you don't want to risk stuff growing in your conditioner.

Finally, I'd like to add that I've messed with a bunch of different sugary syrups -- honey, molasses, corn syrup, etc., and they all give pretty similar results. If you don't want to risk lightening, grab something other than honey.

MoonLightFairy
April 30th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses :)

One more question, does it have to be your conditioner? Because I currently use a 2 in 1, I don't know if it matters or if there is anything in shampoo that would counteract at all?

Anje
April 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Well, 2-in-1 is pretty darn non-moisturizing. I'd say that if you're trying for more moisturized hair, you should start using real conditioner before you start mixing honey in stuff.

Edited to add, considerably later: I should mention what 2-in-1 products really are. They're basically shampoos that have enough silicones added that some stay in your hair after rinsing. The silicones make your hair more easily detangleable and shinier than if you just used shampoo. But the fact that the product is also depositing stuff seems to me to suggest that it's not even all that good at cleansing, and might be likely to build up over time. In my mind, you're much better off having two products, shampoo and conditioner, which are each GOOD at what they're supposed to do. Then you can adjust how much you use of each according to your own needs.

jeanniet
May 1st, 2013, 12:19 AM
I agree with Anje--a 2 in 1 really should be considered just a shampoo, because they're not moisturizing enough to be very conditioning. Especially since you straighten sometimes, I would look for a moisturizing conditioner, and then also do deep conditioning on a regular basis. If you're not already doing it, a light oiling after your wash/conditioning might also give you the results you're looking for. I like Tresseme Naturals Moisture conditioner.

MoonLightFairy
May 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks! I didn't realize that about the 2 in 1s. I mean, I do notice my hair isn't as soft when I don't use both, but I just though it would only make sense that using it separately would be better. I basically buy them to save money and time in the shower. But I do have a couple I haven't used so I guess that's what I'll be putting my honey in :)

jeanniet
May 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
One other point about honey--it's a humectant, which means it draws water to itself from the environment. This can be good and bad, depending on where you live and the weather. If you live in a very dry climate, it will draw moisture from your hair (bad); if you live in a very humid climate, it may draw too much water into your hair. So just keep that in mind. I live in a dry summer climate, though not as dry as a desert, so I only use honey in the winter.