PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going red again

MidnightMoon
April 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM
So...I used to dye my hair a redish colour about two years ago. I stopped becaused I decided I wanted long hair again and couldn't have it long and dye it at the same time as my hair is fine and the ends got pretty damaged so they had to be cut off. Now it's been two years and even though I see a bit of increase in thickness it still seems to taper as it gets longer, and sincerely doesnt look as good as I want it to look.

I used to straighten it too, I stopped and haven't for 2 years, but I feel all the effort I put into it being healthy goes to waste. It looks messy as I don't have a regular curl/wave pattern, I almost never wear it loose because of my job and because it tangles a lot because it's so thin...
Plus, red hair is quite rare here, and people didn't think it was fake.

What worries me a bit is that I don't have freckles (counted 18 moles but no freckles :P).
Here's me, what would you think?

The first pic is like that because it was a photo shoot xD

jacqueline101
April 26th, 2013, 05:51 PM
You look good either way.

MidnightMoon
April 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
You look good either way.

Thanks, atlhough both pics show me with the redish hair, I believe only in my avatar I have dark brown hair

MidnightMoon
April 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM
any help, suggestions, opinions, please? :(

icallitbliss
April 27th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I love red hair, it's fun. But I think a deep chocolate brown would look even better on you. But it's your hair! If you want red, go for it! :)

tigereye
April 27th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I like the red. I think it suits you. If you don't want to damage it so much, you could always try a deposit-only dye. It probably won't last as long, but it would stop you worrying about damage so much.

KittyBird
April 27th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I think you look great with both colours! If you really want to go red, then I second the suggestion to use a deposit-only dye. It's temporary and you'll get no damage, so if you change your mind about having red hair, all you have to do is wait for it to wash out. I've seen other members have luck with Manic Panic Vampire Red. :)

redsiren
April 27th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Henna!! Youre previous colour looks like something you could achieve with henna although I think your starting colour might be a bit too dark, but you still could get a nice red shine:)

MidnightMoon
April 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions/opinions so far guys...well, girls :).
I'm reading all your comments and taking them into account.
I already use Manic Panic vampire red and it looks like a dark wine red, not the 'natural redhead' look I'd want now/what I'm talking about.
And I think my hair is too dark for henna, see my avatar pic, granted in some lightning it might seem a bit lighter but still, it's not even medium brown.

CharleaMurphy
April 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I was going to make a similar thread.
I used to dye my hair with that nasty chemical stuff which I gave up on but I really miss the colour.

The problem is, I'm in upper school (England) and everyone here is very prejudiced towards red hair..

DarleneH
April 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I loooove red hair. Every now and then I get to craving it too (my real color is dark brunette) but I use a temporary color. I think you should go for it. By the time you're tired of it again the red will probably be washed out anyway.

MidnightMoon
April 27th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I was going to make a similar thread.
I used to dye my hair with that nasty chemical stuff which I gave up on but I really miss the colour.

The problem is, I'm in upper school (England) and everyone here is very prejudiced towards red hair..

Really? how weird, I think I've heard stuff like that but thankfully it doesn't happen here, maybe because it's so rare and you'd rather find people envious of your hair than prejudiced towards it (same as blondes, as majority of the population is black/mixed and it's so rare)

MidnightMoon
April 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I loooove red hair. Every now and then I get to craving it too (my real color is dark brunette) but I use a temporary color. I think you should go for it. By the time you're tired of it again the red will probably be washed out anyway.

You think that would work? My hair is dark and I would need to lighten it, so I think it need to be lightened anyway (which is what causes the damage anyways xD)

tigereye
April 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I usually find a more orange-ish red to look more natural than pinkish/red-red, especially down the darker end of the spectrum. Manic Panic Vampire red often looks a more winey colour because its quite a pinkish red.
Its hard for me to tell how dark your hair is though because my monitor tends to make things come out lighter. It looks a lighter brown than mine, but as you say its quite dark, I'll assume its around the same colour as my own. Mine definitely doesn't look natural with a very reddish red - I once tried a temporary dye, and I ended up not liking it at all. I use Jamilla henna, which is a lot more orangey, and no-one has ever questioned whether it was natural or not unless they already knew I dyed it. Also the orange tends to make it look lighter for some reason. That said, it doesn't tend to look all that red unless I'm outside, but if its sunny I look very much like a natural ginger red-head - I don't know if thats a property of the henna or not. This is my hair. The window is on the right, with a very dull day outside, but it still looks a lot redder, and lighter than on the left.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/lost-kitty/P1010112.jpg (http://s436.photobucket.com/user/lost-kitty/media/P1010112.jpg.html)

sihaya
April 28th, 2013, 06:53 AM
You girls make me want to go red! :D But I'm trying to live with my natural colouring for a while...

MidnightMoon, I think red would suit you, go for it. And, tigereye, your hair is stunning. I love the colour, it looks very natural.