PDA

View Full Version : Do you change our hair routine summer & winter?

Suze2012
April 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Do you do things differently in the summer and winter months?

What's your summer hair care routine and your winter one?

Do you even notice any changes in your hair at different times of the year to make you think you need to change your routine?

battles
April 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I bump up the moisture quite a bit during autumn/winter. More frequent deep treatments, and heavier shampoo/conditioner. I use less moisturizing products during spring/summer. My hair is starting to get stringy, so I can tell I need to switch to a less moisturizing shampoo and conditioner again.

jeanniet
April 25th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Not really. We don't get humidity here, but we do get summer fog, and in winter it rains a lot but there's indoor heat. So my routine is pretty much the same all the time, and I just bump the moisture up or down as I need to.

ravenreed
April 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM
My hair gets a little dryer in winter, so I tend to CO more often to keep up. Other than that, not so much.

rock007junkie
April 25th, 2013, 04:26 PM
It gets really cold in NY so I usually use heavier products in the winter and have to end up moisturizing and sealing every other day. In the summer because it gets so hot I end up washing more often.

JaneinMarch
April 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Nope, I just pre-poo with coconut oil before washing, don't use a leave in. I wash with lavender and triphala; that is all.

earthnut
April 25th, 2013, 05:22 PM
No. The dew points here are pretty constant year round, so I don't notice any seasonal change in my hair.

meteor
April 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Absolutely.
I wash hair almost twice as often in summer time, because in winter my scalp and hair are way more dry. I also use much heavier, thicker conditioners and way more oil in winter time. I don't like using coconut oil and red palm oil as much in winter, because they solidify and make my hair feel stiff.
We have clear seasons where I live, so skin care and hair care really need to be adjusted seasonally.

spirals
April 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
In winter I can get away with stretching washes more. In summer the moisture means more sweaty scalp, which means more frequent washing.
In winter it's so dry that I wear my hair brushed out more often, since it won't really curl. Brushed and oiled looks more decent, I guess.
I alternate between double braids, wearing it down, half-ups, and buns pretty evenly throughout the year.
Haven't gone through a summer without conventional products yet, so I'll have to see if the humidity requires flax gel. It probably will, especially in tornado season.

excentricat
April 25th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I'm outside a lot more in the summer, so I wash more often. Between sweat and dirt, I'm need a wash at least every other day in summer, but can go to twice a week in winter. The more frequent washing means that I don't really have to switch to more or less moisturizing products though.

embee
April 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
In winter I'm NW/SO. In summer I'm WO. That's because of heat & sweat from working in the garden.

In a way it is annoying. I get spoiled in winter, never having to worry about long wet hair that needs drying time. ;)

kpzra
April 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Nope, I live in the desert and need moisture year round. My hair did freak on me a bit after spending a month in Michigan at Christmas though.

Springlets
April 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I never have before but this year I think I will have a routine change. I'm used to living in very dry environments, but am now living in a place with lots of humidity. As the heat rises, I find myself wearing more and more updos to get my hair off my neck and taking more showers. I have hard water so my usual routine has been wash with clarifying shampoo, condish, and follow with a vinegar rinse. Now with the more frequent washings, I wonder if I should try just baking soda/vinegar rinses?

Indigo Girl
April 25th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Definitely. I turn into a walking static ball in the winter - my hair will fly up in all directions (I also "shock" everyone I touch :rolleyes:). So I need much more moisture in the winter.

I bump up the moisture quite a bit during autumn/winter. More frequent deep treatments, and heavier shampoo/conditioner. I use less moisturizing products during spring/summer.

^^ Pretty much this. ^^ :bluesmile

KwaveT
April 25th, 2013, 08:56 PM
My hair is always oily regardless of the time of the year. The weather can certainly influence how easy of hard it is to deal with the frizz.

PraiseCheeses
April 25th, 2013, 10:04 PM
There's a huge difference between our summer and winter weather here; I cannot imagine using the same routine year-round. For some reason the transition is always difficult to figure out, even though I've done it a few times at this point. :p Generally, more humectants in the summer, more butters in the winter. I can get away with using the same conditioners, but in the summer I'll add aloe and/or honey.

Coconut oil is a year-round staple; the difficulty lies in winter use as it's rock-hard and solidifies on my hair, even in my apartment. It feels like I dipped my hair in candle wax and there's no combing through it once it's cold. Sometimes I use a rice heat pack; most of the time I tuck my oiled hair down the back of my shirt so the oil stays melted and penetrates.

MaryO
April 26th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I actually just blow dry my hair in the winter (not at all in summer).

It's super hot where I say in the summer so my hair dries quickly and without any issues but because my hair is still too short to do some kind of undo that will keep it off my while drying I am still blow drying in the winter. I haven't noticed any deterioration in my hair condition but am monitoring it closely (just going into winter on my side of the world). I use the coolest setting and stop when it's still a little bit damp, never really thought how time consuming and irritating it is to blow dry until I gave it up!

Neneka
April 26th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Summertime is rough for my hair. I go to sauna more often ans swim in the clorinated pool and in sea and just be in the sun without hats or scarfs. My hair gets dryer and I have to use more oil and leave-in conditioner. My hair is now in a very good condition so I think I can take little summer damage. :) I will be doing a lot of WO washing while during the winter I CO every 3-4 days.

shutterpillar
April 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I conditioner-only wash and oil more in the fall/winter. In the summer and part of the spring I shampoo and condition every other day because my hair tends to get more oily because of the heat and sweating.

Anje
April 26th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Definitely. I'm the weirdo whose scalp gets oilier during the winter. So I end up shampooing (or whatever wash method I'm using that year) more frequently in the winter. As oil production slows down in the summer, I find that more of my washes are because the length feels dry or because I've been swimming.

jacqueline101
April 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
No I haven't but I'm wondering if I should my hair has been not so glamorous lately.

dwell_in_safety
April 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't switch up all that much besides using product with protein during not-winter. Haha. In the summer if I swim I will always protect my hair with coconut oil and wash it after my hair dries. My hair and scalp are easy to please, and we don't get bad winters here.

patienceneeded
April 26th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I don't really change anything as the year progresses. I probably oil more in the winter, my ends get dry with all the indoor heating. I wash my hair every-other day, all year long. I use diluted shampoo and then a coney conditioner. Right now I'm using the new (old) Herbal Essences with Rose Hips and Jojoba. I'm a bit of a product junkie and switch brands often, but I'm liking the HE so I'm sticking with it until I get bored. I don't really see the need to change my routine, western Oregon is not a land of extreme climate and seasons.

Suze2012
April 28th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I have definitely noticed this month that I need to change my routine between winter and summer.

This month we've had snow and freezing temperatures and then one day last week it was 23 degrees.

My hair loves glycerin in the winter but I already know that in the summer months it's not going to have the desired effect.
My Tesco conditioner which I use for co isn't going to be doing the job quite so well either as they have rebranded and it has glycerin in it too.
I might wander down to Superdrug this afternoon and check out their range of conditioners.

I've tried the ones from Morrisons and Asda and both are good - but not easy for me to get to at all.

Buddaphlyy
May 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I stretch washes in winter and co wash almost exclusively in the summer. I plan on exercising and swimming more this summer so I expect to be going through conditioner and leave-in .

HintOfMint
May 5th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I tend to silicone it up in winter. It doesn't really make my hair exactly how I like it but honestly, these New York winters are too brutal for me and I don't know if I'll ever get used to them. Not to mention indoor heating.

I'm just thrilled that spring is here.

UP Lisa
May 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Aside from using heavier conditioners, I don't really do much differently. I live in a very cold, snowy area, but my hair does not have a tendency to be dry, even on the ends. I do deal with static, though. which is really bad with my easily tangled hair.

Carolyn
May 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I wash more often in the summer. I wash whenever I get sweaty which might be every day. I tend to use very heavy moisturizing products in the winter. I will kind of lay off those in the summer especially if I am washing daily. I tend to wear my hair down more in the summer so I might use more styling products.

cooklaezo13
May 6th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Spring and warmer weather has finally arrived in my part of the world. I noticed that my hair is acting not quite right lately. Its more frizzy, feels dry, and snaps easily. I think a change in routine may be in order. I decided to try shampoo bars, because my current shampoo is on the drying side. And to be more vigilant with using coconut oil as a pre-treatment.

PraiseCheeses
May 6th, 2013, 09:33 PM
It's starting to get noticeably less dry here and I even felt a bit of humidity this evening - time to break out the humectants! Hooray for soft, moisturized hair! :cheese: