PDA

View Full Version : Natural Conditioners for CO

Kaelee
April 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
There was a thread like this in the archives...let's bring it back!

Who uses natural conditioner for their CO?

I am currently using Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (love) and I'm going to try their Refresh line next I think. I love Trader Joe's because they're CHEAP. I use a lot of conditioner for CO, so a more expensive one wouldn't be so good. :(

Other than that, I've picked up Nature's Gate Awapuhi shampoo to use every once in a while (I need to figure out how often I should be using a shampoo to keep my hair balanced...I'm new at this) and I LOVE it. Smells SOOOO good. It's heavy on the protein, though (which is why I got it in the first place.) Nature's gate makes some lovely stuff, but too expensive for CO, at least for now.

jeanniet
April 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Coincidentally, I just picked up some Tea Tree Tingle to try as CO. Generally I use Tresseme Naturals, which isn't really all that natural. I've also used SheaMoisture conditioner (the moisture restoring one, I think it was) and it worked fine for me, but it's pretty heavy and probably not best for most people. I'm hoping the TTT works nicely, because I love the scent!

Kaelee
April 25th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Coincidentally, I just picked up some Tea Tree Tingle to try as CO. Generally I use Tresseme Naturals, which isn't really all that natural. I've also used SheaMoisture conditioner (the moisture restoring one, I think it was) and it worked fine for me, but it's pretty heavy and probably not best for most people. I'm hoping the TTT works nicely, because I love the scent!

I must be the odd one out, because I don't notice the scent in the TTT. If I actually sniff it, I smell it, but when I'm using it? It's so unobtrusive as to come across as almost unscented. This isn't the experience a lot of people have with it though.

It's very thick and creamy, which I *love* in a conditioner. I don't like the thin ones that seem to "squeak" when on your hair. I like slip.

rowie
April 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm using Wen cleansing conditioner at the moment. I love it so far and it really controls and tames my coarse hairs. I use a lot of it (including a final pump as my leave in for the week), but then again I wash my hair once a week so the full size bottle is lasting me. Wen is not for everyone, but if you are the type with coarse hair, then this type of conditioner is heavy and thick and will help tame those frizzies. I think I notice a difference in my hair 2-3 days after I have used it, which is odd since I don't notice that much on the day I used it.

Kaelee
April 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm using Wen cleansing conditioner at the moment. I love it so far and it really controls and tames my coarse hairs. I use a lot of it (including a final pump as my leave in for the week), but then again I wash my hair once a week so the full size bottle is lasting me. Wen is not for everyone, but if you are the type with coarse hair, then this type of conditioner is heavy and thick and will help tame those frizzies. I think I notice a difference in my hair 2-3 days after I have used it, which is odd since I don't notice that much on the day I used it.

Wen is love/hate it seems...people either love it, or hate it. Some people do really well with it! It's too expensive for me. I wash my hair daily, so I go through it quickly. Which is why I don't even want to try Nature's Gate for CO. It would cost quite a lot. Though my bottle of TTT is lasting about a month and a half I guess.

jeanniet
April 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM
How are you getting your TTT to last that long? I didn't use that much--probably about 3 tablespoons--and I only wash twice a week, but I don't see a bottle lasting more than a month, maybe a little more.

I dilute the conditioner when I CO. I diluted the TTT with about an equal amount of water, and it was perfect. The only problem was that I got some in my eyes and it really stung!

Kaelee
April 26th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Theres more in the bottle than it looks like, I guess.

Neneka
April 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM
I love Urtekram Aloe Vera conditioner but it's currently too expencive for me. It's the best conditioner for my CO I have found so far.

jeanniet
April 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Still waiting for my hair to be fully dry so I can see the effects of the TTT, but so far, so good. It's overcast today, and my hair is up, so it probably won't be totally dry until later this afternoon.

I tried Refresh for CO a long time ago, and liked it, but didn't stick with CO at that time. I've had to do quite a bit of experimenting to find out how to make CO work OK for me. I finally discovered that in my case, less is more, so I stopped using so much and started diluting it, and that works just fine. The Trader Joe's conditioners are all really nice.

Kaelee
April 26th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I'm excited to try the Refresh! Mostly for the orange scent :lol:

jeanniet
April 27th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I love the Refresh scent! That citrusy smell is so fresh and clean. Post how you like it. The TTT was very nice. I put too much leave-in, so my hair is a little overdone, lol, but the TTT seemed to clean just fine.

Kaelee
April 27th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I checked out the TJ's Refresh, but didn't like the smell (it smelled too much like my orange bathroom cleaner! :lol:) The Nourish also has citrus, and I was going to try that but it contains mango and I'm allergic to mango. I wound up picking up another bottle of the TTT. ;)

jeanniet
April 27th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Lol, yeah, "Bathroom Cleaner" probably isn't the scent you want associated with your hair!

Kaelee
April 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lol, yeah, "Bathroom Cleaner" probably isn't the scent you want associated with your hair!

LOL!!! I like the smell, mind you, but I clean my bathroom with Sun and Earth and yea...too much alike.

How did you like the TTT? I love it, it feels like it was MADE for CO wash. Makes my hair squeaky clean!!! (I stopped leaving it on the entire length of my shower and I am not getting too much moisture. It's perfect!)

rowie
April 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Before Wen, this was my all time conditioner:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R-vmUfFiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love the smell of juniper and the smell has a tiny hint that is "Abercrombie-ish." It is a very light conditioner, but since it doesn't have any cones I feel like it doesn't really help with taming my coarse hairs down. I need my cones in my natural conditioners! :P

ETA: If I had straight hairs like you Kaelee i'd be cone free!

Kaelee
April 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
My hair loved cones, I forget why I originally went cone free...but I used some V05 conditioner after being cone/sulfate (mostly)/whatever free, and my hair was just loaded with buildup after one use!!!! :bigeyes: I think I'd need to retrain my hair to tolerate conventional products now!

Has this happened to anyone else?

jeanniet
April 27th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I liked the TTT a lot--very nice cleaning. I never had any success with CO with any conventional conditioners except
Tresseme Naturals. I tried a few different Suave ones, and some VO5 too. They'd be fine for one or two washes, and then I'd get the buildup. Not sure why, but generally speaking I don't have to clarify often and with those I felt like I needed to clarify every few washes. Tresseme Naturals has been fine, and even pretty heavy conditioners that are more natural (SheaMoisture). I think it's probably due to some reaction with my well water, or at least that's the only thing I can think of.

rowie
April 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM
No retraining for me. Tresseme Naturals my hair rejected! After I let my hair air dry it made my hair frizzy and fluffy! Yuck, it was a nightmare and I had to rewash my hair and I ended up cheating and using Pantene straighening conditioner! Ughhhh it was that bad that I turned to Pantene.

jeanniet
April 28th, 2013, 12:22 PM
No retraining for me. Tresseme Naturals my hair rejected! After I let my hair air dry it made my hair frizzy and fluffy! Yuck, it was a nightmare and I had to rewash my hair and I ended up cheating and using Pantene straighening conditioner! Ughhhh it was that bad that I turned to Pantene.

So funny how different things are great or a disaster. I tried Pantene Ice Shine because so many people here raved about it, and boy was it an epic fail. I know cones don't work for me, but I'm eternally hopeful.

Kaelee
April 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cones USED to work for me. Garnier and Aussie all the way. But it's been so long since I used them, I'm thinking my hair might revolt if I used them again.

rowie
April 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
So funny how different things are great or a disaster. I tried Pantene Ice Shine because so many people here raved about it, and boy was it an epic fail. I know cones don't work for me, but I'm eternally hopeful.

Ha! You're so lucky you can go cone free! If I did then my coarse frizzy hair will turn into an aphro (I'm over exaggerating it :p). Plus without cones on my hair, it is a nightmare trying to penetrate into a thick coarse fluffy goodness of crazy hairs.

I'm thinking of trying Aubrey Organics, or one of those fancy ones that has a name with "Avalon" on the label, Oh it was Avalon Organics I think. It just depends if it has cones in it, for now I was tempted and bought the Herbal Essences "Hello Hydration" that some of the people at the "Really good coney conditioners" thread was raving about (I know it's not natural but at least it's still a conditioner).

jeanniet
April 28th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Cones instantly build up on my hair. I've tried all kinds, and always have the same result. I wish I could use them, at least some of the time.

I don't think either Aubrey Organics or Avalon Organics have cones in them. Giovanni I think does, in some of their products.

In2wishin
April 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Cones instantly build up on my hair. I've tried all kinds, and always have the same result. I wish I could use them, at least some of the time.

I don't think either Aubrey Organics or Avalon Organics have cones in them. Giovanni I think does, in some of their products.

I have not seen any cones in any of the Avalon Organics but most have protein if that is an issue.

Kaelee
April 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I haven't seen cones in them either, but I haven't looked at more than one or two. I know Nature's Gate is awesome stuff, no cones and very heavy on the protein.

rowie
April 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I don't know if i've ever had protein build up, and how can you tell? Would chelating be a form of protein removal even though it's for mineral removal from places with hard water. The only protein conditioner I've tried is the V05 strawberries and cream, but I know maybe like egg shampoos/conditioners would obviously be one.

PolarCathy
April 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
IDK either! (whether I ever had one)

But every time you post something and I get to see your avatar, I'm :shocked: -- This is all I wanted to say. :thud:

/ON

I don't know if i've ever had protein build up, and how can you tell? Would chelating be a form of protein removal even though it's for mineral removal from places with hard water. The only protein conditioner I've tried is the V05 strawberries and cream, but I know maybe like egg shampoos/conditioners would obviously be one.

Kaelee
April 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Too much protein leads to brittle hair. Too much moisture and it's stretchy.

earthnut
April 28th, 2013, 07:59 PM
My hair really likes Everyday Shea conditioner. Unfortunately the preservative that they use makes my scalp itch.

earthnut
April 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Natural protein treatments include gelatin (http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/p/science-y-hair-blog-recipes.html), liquid aminos, soy sauce, egg, milk, coconut milk, soy milk.

Hydrolysed proteins like gelatin, liquid aminos, and soy sauce are most more effective than whole proteins like in most foods, because the small hydrolyzed proteins penetrate the hair better.

Nature's Gate conditioners are also pretty high in protein.

In2wishin
April 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
My hair really likes Everyday Shea conditioner. Unfortunately the preservative that they use makes my scalp itch.

Potassium sorbate is a known skin, eye and respiratory irritant. The other preservative is phenoxyethanol which is derived from grapefruit (has a lower rate of allergens but has a higher overall hazard rating) . Do you have issues with citrus fruits at all?

jeanniet
April 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM

No, chelating wouldn't do anything for protein. My hair doesn't mind protein, although it likes moisture better, so while I don't generally actively seek out protein, I don't avoid it either.

rowie
April 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Awww thanks Cathy! :blossom: Omg I get surprised seeing some of your blogposts! They are so wonderful!

jeanniet, good to know, maybe a simple clarifying with sulfate might solve it? The tricky thing is I can't tell if I ever had protein buildup cause my hair is already coarse and dry naturally, but since I use cones, it seems to mask it and works really well with my daily coconut oil oiling. So I guess it wouldn't make a difference for me, but I guess I wouldn't avoid it either.

Kaelee
April 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Usually the antidote to too much protein is lots and lots of moisture. :)

rowie
April 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Usually the antidote to too much protein is lots and lots of moisture. :)

I thought for curly and wavy haired peeps, they can never have enough moisture. Meaning, the more moisture the better? I mean I try to avoid that because I don't want to accentuate my wave pattern, and if I can get it to behave more relaxed and almost straight then that is better for me.

Kaelee
April 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
it is possible to get TOO MUCH moisture but it's usually very difficult.

truepeacenik
May 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I have use Whole Foods' 365 conditioner and natures gate herbal for CO. I thin them both.
I like how they work.
I have an option of scent free in the 365 line. Natures gate herbal is so strongly connected to my young adult years, scent wise.

My son uses both, as well. He's got thicker, slightly wavier hair.

Aliantha
July 25th, 2013, 06:14 AM
How did you like the TTT? I love it, it feels like it was MADE for CO wash. Makes my hair squeaky clean!!! (I stopped leaving it on the entire length of my shower and I am not getting too much moisture. It's perfect!)

I'd really like to try the TTT, but, unfortunately, the nearest Trader Joe's to me is almost 100 miles away. :(

oatmealpie
July 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I must be the odd one out, because I don't notice the scent in the TTT. If I actually sniff it, I smell it, but when I'm using it? It's so unobtrusive as to come across as almost unscented. This isn't the experience a lot of people have with it though.

I hardly smell anything when I sniff the bottle or when I'm using it, but I do notice the scent on my hair once it dries. I thought that was rather odd.