PDA

View Full Version : Take-down updos

Um Enis
August 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
What are the updo's that people with type 1/2a hair have had the most success looking good with no fussing from updo's? I have a mix of f/m/c type 1 hair. Its all one length and just doesn't look good when I take it down from updo's. If I braid it, the braid waves look good until the ends (you know what I mean) and bun waves just don't work either. And when I mean no fussing, I mean maximum a quick2 second finger toussle

Do I need to haves layers to make a take-down from updo look good? I hate to cut layers, but this would be worth it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Arctic
August 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
How long is your hair and how thick? I'm at APL with medium thickness, I have some styles I wear in my blog. :)

By the way, I have noticed, the more moisturized my hair is and the better shape the ends are, the better my hair looks when I take down a braid.

Islandgrrl
August 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
My hair is BSL and I have some of the same issues. I have some layers still, though, so maybe my issues aren't the same.

Braids are hideous when taken down - the braid waves are nice enough, but then the ends look stupid. I have much better luck with bun waves, although since my hair is thick the waves are really big.

I agree with Arctic. The more moisturized my hair is, the better the waves look. I usually use a leave-in conditioner (just a little) because it helps with the frizzies and I almost always damp bun - even if I just wet the ends before I put it up. Makes a huge difference.

I discovered that if I want really cool waves, I should make mini-buns and vary the direction of the twist. Sometimes I make 6 or 7 little buns. The resulting waves are nothing short of awesome.

eadwine
August 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Nautilus buns. Because you are wrapping all the hair that is left around the base, including the very tips, they get included in whatever waving the updo causes.

Ohio Sky
August 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I don't know how well it would work if you don't have at least a little taper in your braid, but I saw a member mention this technique and it's worked well for me:
When you braid, braid as far down as you can and then take the ends and wrap them back up around the braid.
I use a clip to hold it because elastics make my ends look funny. :shrug: This technique gets rid of the straight area at the end of the braid, and the weird area from the elastic, and you can tuck it up in a braided bun or something very effectively.
It looks a little too kinky/weird when I first take it down, but it settles into very nice curls/waves. :)

Anje
August 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Untwisted buns have a nicer taken-down look for me. That includes minimally twisted nautilus buns and orchid wraps/lazy buns, in my experience. They both avoid the "bun kink" that I get from cinnamon buns.

Katahdin
August 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well, I've found the Chinese bun leaves my hair free of waves and weird kinks.

I agree with Anje, any kind of bun that doesn't involve twisting generally won't leave kinks or waves.

GlennaGirl
August 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Untwisted buns have a nicer taken-down look for me. That includes minimally twisted nautilus buns and orchid wraps/lazy buns, in my experience. They both avoid the "bun kink" that I get from cinnamon buns.

I'm only an a, but...me too! I find more loosely wrapped buns give a much more natural wave.

Um Enis
August 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I'm trying a very poorly made nautilus bun today. We'll see.

I love Izzie's idea about varied directions mini-buns, but I can't figure out how to make them look attractive. And they have to :)