PDA

View Full Version : Frizz Fight (Share what you noticed on reducing frizz)

Number 3
April 23rd, 2013, 01:59 AM
I'll start

Nothing lol, really nothing.

Even oils won't help.

Jorja
April 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
Sweet almond oil on wet or dry hair (or both). And cold dry weather helps! Humid weather or drizzle and I look like a troll.

two_wheels
April 23rd, 2013, 02:41 AM
For me- ACV rinse after washing (helps a little bit); putting hair up whilst still wet and leaving to dry (helps a lot). But yeah... humid weather and you might as well not have bothered!

spirals
April 23rd, 2013, 03:29 AM
Right now my own marshmallow rinse, left in, is fantastic. It's like magic, and I am so grateful I ran across a post about marshmallow detangler on the blog Frugally Sustainable. That's where I got the idea. Well, that and all the people here using citic acid rinses. I have a feeling when it gets really hot and humid here over the summer I won't be able to skip the flax gel. That stuff has amazing hold for a homemade product. It should do well.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2013, 05:31 AM
Very moisturizing (or very cone-y) conditioners, condition twice, a leave-in on top of that and then a serum (or a few drops of baby oil). That's what does it for me.

door72067
April 23rd, 2013, 05:34 AM
baby oil works for me

melusine963
April 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Sweet almond oil on wet or dry hair (or both). And cold dry weather helps! Humid weather or drizzle and I look like a troll.

:rollin: I can relate. I also use oil to tame the worst bits. Allowing my hair to dry 'styled' rather than loose also helps.

rowie
April 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
I found aloe vera gel fixes the frizzies for my hair even on humid days! I'm so happy about this, too bad I just discovered this recently. If I would of known this, it would of helped me get through the awkward stage easily instead of wearing a bandanna for a whole year during that phase.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Wrapping my hair in a silk scarf when wet.
Aloe vera gel or styling gel.

For the really stubborn bits - styling wax, paste, or pomade. A little goes a long way.

All oil does is give me oily frizz.

irisheyes
April 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I dilute my shampoo and conditioner with good results. I think full strength shampoo raises my hair cuticle too much, and using full strength conditioner after that keeps too much moisture in my hair. My hair is very porous, so less water retention means less frizz. Styling products and oils make the frizz worse, probably because they work to keep the water inside the hair shaft. Someday I'll have the nerve to skip conditioner altogether, because I think it may be doing more harm than good.

SerinaDaith
April 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Stretching washes, wash day is frizzy day, by about day 3 my hair is a lot less crazy, by day 5 it starts getting oily so updo's are a must. Wash day is usually day 5 or 6 and I am working on stretching more.

Suze2012
April 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
No use of combs nor brushes at all ever.
No use of towels - only t-shirts or very fine microfibre towels.
No leaving hair to flop onto a normal pillow.
No heat appliances at all,air dry only.
Conditioner washing with no sulphates nor cones.
Leave in conditioner.
I use a cone free cheap curl creme too (store's own brand from Boots)
Glycerin & rosewater sprayed on when soaking wet and when dry if needed through the day.

Aloe vera gel didn't work for me and dried my hair out.

When it gets hotter here I'll be trying out a water spray through the day if needed and also seeing how an anti-humectant works underneath the glycerin.

I'm almost always frizz free now and it's soft,, shiney and curly.

The only time lately I have got a little frizzy was when I didn't have an umbrella and got caught in gale force winds and drizzle.

I also wear my hair down always except for when I sleep and I walk everywhere so I'm out in the elements a lot plus I walk to work with my hair wet.

Suze2012
April 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Oops! Double post!

alexis917
April 23rd, 2013, 12:58 PM
My hair loves the wet brush! It's like a tangle teezer with a handle and really helps me smooth out my hair.
I also find that bunning/braiding my hair before it dries helps.

catasa
April 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
No conditioner at all (yes irisheyes, at least my hair got way better when I finally dared to ditch it :) ), diluted mild shampoo with a some ACV added, mineral oil as a leave in, careful blow drying on cool, and sometimes a protein treatment :) That´s my best recipe so far, not working perfectly but way better than anything else I have tried!

jacqueline101
April 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
I use argon oil on my hair.

earthnut
April 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
conditioner only - don't use shampoo

leave conditioner in your hair

air dry or bun or braid to dry

don't touch your hair while it dries

satin pillowcase

no brushes or combs, only finger combing if needed but best to not even do that

Dizzy_zzz
April 23rd, 2013, 07:09 PM
Absolutely nothing worked to get rid of my frizz, until I got layers cut into my hair, and then, to my happy surprise, all frizz was gone!

ravenreed
April 23rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Giving up SLS shampoos (except occasionally to clarify), and switching to CO has worked wonders for my frizz.

10000days
April 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
I've concocted a mixture which works! I add about 1/2 teaspoon of gylcerine and 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel into about 150ml of tap water and spray it on damp or dry hair (and then smooth the hair down with a comb or my hand) whenever the flyaways start having a party. It calms everything down until the next wash :)
Argan oil is ok if applied on damp hair but the mister mixture is way better.

akurah
April 23rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
I swear by aloe vera gel for frizz.

Suze2012
April 23rd, 2013, 11:33 PM
I've concocted a mixture which works! I add about 1/2 teaspoon of gylcerine and 1/2 teaspoon of aloe vera gel into about 150ml of tap water and spray it on damp or dry hair (and then smooth the hair down with a comb or my hand) whenever the flyaways start having a party. It calms everything down until the next wash :)
Argan oil is ok if applied on damp hair but the mister mixture is way better.

Can I ask you a quick question?
Do you usually use argan oil before you apply your spritz?

The reason I ask is glycerin has been working fine for me through the colder weather but I ended up reading up about it and finally understand the humectant part of it and found a site suggesting that over about 16 degrees celsius is the point at which hair can start collecting too much moisture and it can make curls lank and or frizzy.
I'm trying to get my head around what to do in the summer here.
Oil apparently works as a barrier to prevent the glycerin soaking too much water from the air - hence my question.

I found the info in here:
(scroll down under the photos and there's an article on glcerin and dewpoints)
This could also be handy if anyone uses products with glycerin in them.
http://cushblog.com/2011/08/when-to-use-glycerin-products-based-on-dew-points-technically-speaking/

10000days
April 24th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Usually I use the mister solution on my hair without using argan oil at all and it works just as well. But when I use both, yes, I usually do apply argan oil before I use the mister but this is out of habit and not because I've noticed a difference. I've never noticed the humectant-moisture-collecting aspect you mention...I'll keep it in mind next time I use the mister solution.

kitschy
April 24th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Frizz is relative. Do you have a few whispies that pop out from your canopy, or is your whole head enveloped in fluff. It took growing my hair long, leave-in conditioner, plopping and not touching my hair while it dries, to tame my mane (well at least as much as possible).

Number 3
March 15th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hello again,

So I tried sweet almond oil, by far I can say it's the best of the worst.
Conditioner is a big no-no for me, it frizzes my hair like crazy.
Argan oil nothing noticeable, the almond oil is way more better.

I'll be trying aloe vera soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Firefox7275
March 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Curly Girl method. Work with hair properties (porosity, elasticity, coarseness) and dew points/ humidity when choosing ingredients and products.

meteor
March 15th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I haven't had frizz ever since switching to a wide tooth comb from a brush. But you are a curly, so you probably never use a brush anyway.

I think, frizz control is about:
1) Always following your hair's texture and curl pattern. Support your curl pattern instead of trying to change it: finger-combing, CO-washing and stretching washes if your scalp can handle it, etc.

2) Don't make your hair more porous (i.e. avoid damage - no flat irons, curlers, relaxers, etc) and don't roughen up your cuticle - avoid rough towels, super hot water, etc). Don't use materials than cause static - e.g. plastic.

3) Smooth down your hair with silk scarves, caps, pillowcases and, when you go out, apply emollient occlusives/anti-humectants to protect from humidity-related frizz - oils, silicones, butters, waxes. Mineral oil is my preference as it appears to prevent water evaporation better than other oils but doesn't build up like waxes, silicones or drying oils.

jupiterinleo
March 15th, 2014, 11:07 AM
^^ Mineral oil as a leave-in is where it's at, especially if you tend to build up. I actually just use baby oil.

MissBubble
March 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
My hair gets really frizzy when I wash and the day after it. No curls or waves can be formed, just a frizzy mess.
I use coconut oil after washing when my hair is semi wet and I shape waves or style them straight with my fingers and the oil.
It becomes soft and silky. I also sleep in a bun the first two nights after washing.
Some conditioners and masks that I have tried have also helped but I prefer not to use them as they make my hair heavy and flat.

jeanniet
March 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Noticing that everyone has some frizz, lol. I think sometimes we spend so much time fretting over our own frizz we don't realize that most hair types frizz at least a little.

Ambystoma
March 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM
For me, my frizz is caused by my wave pattern causing shorter hairs to act rebelliously curly, so the solution is to align them with the rest of the hair by putting it into a shape (usually one large ringlet over my shoulder as it dries, but doobie wrapping, damp bunning or heat free curling techniques work well too) and then not touching it as it dries.

Janette17
March 15th, 2014, 08:47 PM
^^ Mineral oil as a leave-in is where it's at, especially if you tend to build up. I actually just use baby oil.
Jupiterinleo your hair is gorgeous.... Im just wondering when you apply the Baby oil (wet or dry), how much and how often? Ive tried a teensy but a couple of times and it smells lovely :) just not sure how much to use or when...

jupiterinleo
March 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Jupiterinleo your hair is gorgeous.... Im just wondering when you apply the Baby oil (wet or dry), how much and how often? Ive tried a teensy but a couple of times and it smells lovely :) just not sure how much to use or when...

Thank you! You're very kind to say so. I apply a few drops (no more than three, fine hair can't handle much more than that) when my hair is still damp/fairly wet after a shower. Baby oil/mineral oil is good for sealing moisture in, so you'd wanna put it in when you're hair still has moisture, i.e. when it's still a little wet.

Silverbrumby
March 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
What helps me is:

* oiling my hair a few hours or overnight
* only washing the scalp with low or sulfate free shampoo
* using conditioner on everything else past an inch or two from the scalp
* no towel drying
* Using 2 drops of baby oil on my hair after putting a light coat of Dr Hauschka oil on

Now my hair is less frizzy.

ErinLeigh
March 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Usually I use the mister solution on my hair without using argan oil at all and it works just as well. But when I use both, yes, I usually do apply argan oil before I use the mister but this is out of habit and not because I've noticed a difference. I've never noticed the humectant-moisture-collecting aspect you mention...I'll keep it in mind next time I use the mister solution.

I do the mister with the glycerin and aloe but I add a few drops of oil and conditioner to the mix. It seems to help a bit.

Wisé
March 17th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I experimented recently with just making accent braids on the sections where most frizz comes from (mostly at the temple and behind the ears). The small braids hold the whispies really well if they're not extremely short.

And as added bonus they make styles look more intricate.

Weewah
March 19th, 2014, 02:34 AM
The mineral oil support in this thread is making me wanna use it in my LOC method after my next wash. Mine doesn't have a dropper though so I'm gonna have to be really careful. I'm excited for the results! It doesn't build up with co-washing or anything?

Hairitic
March 19th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Frizzy, natural hair (August 5, 2011)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6001/6020662430_4d7191165e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6020662430/) BSL Aug. 5, 2011 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6020662430/) by prlknits (http://www.flickr.com/people/36509609@N08/), on Flickr

Non-frizzy Henna'd hair 18 days later (August 23, 2011)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6193/6074587464_bb95d070c3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6074587464/) First Time Henna August 23,2011 002 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6074587464/) by prlknits (http://www.flickr.com/people/36509609@N08/), on Flickr

The only change was the use of Henna!

lapushka
March 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
The mineral oil support in this thread is making me wanna use it in my LOC method after my next wash. Mine doesn't have a dropper though so I'm gonna have to be really careful. I'm excited for the results! It doesn't build up with co-washing or anything?

I find that a few drops is more than enough (for hair from ear down to hip - yes on the entire length).

No idea if it builds up. We clarify wash every week/wash.

Weewah
March 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I find that a few drops is more than enough (for hair from ear down to hip - yes on the entire length).

No idea if it builds up. We clarify wash every week/wash.

I found ktani's blog, and she says that mineral oil washes out easily with co-washing and other gentle methods.:)

heidi w.
March 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Very curly people might try using Aloe Vera Gel. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it. The John Frieda hair product line has stuff also. I've often thought about it.
heidi w.

starlamelissa
March 19th, 2014, 08:15 PM
mineral oil as a leave in ( I am currently using a mineral oil based spray, but Ive used used plain baby oil from the bottle with the same results) and pantene conditioner.

Also, not pissing off my waves.

Aderyn
March 19th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Stretching washes and a boar bristle brush to distribute the greasies down the length of hair. I don't have a problem using a BBB on wurly hair (especially since I wear my hair up regularly), though my hair is also fine and will spring back to its original texture quickly. I haven't had too many issues with frizziness after switching to shampoo bars, particularly the moisturizing ones.

Jesabel
March 19th, 2014, 11:03 PM
The thing that reduced the most for me was to let my hair dry naturally.. no towel drying or anything. Out of the shower, squeeze out water with my hands and let it dry. Doing DT's also help and I noticed slight reduction in frizz with an ACV rinse.

Jumper
March 20th, 2014, 01:04 AM
My hair reacts really well to glycerin as far as reducing frizz and glycerin is the second ingredient in the John freida frizz ease leave in conditioning spray. So you can bet I spray that on my damp hair after every wash (I stopped when I tried to give up cones buuuut my hair was so frizzy (soft, beautiful, but frizzy) I went back to them).

I find for me the whole frizz ease line works great BUT the new frizz ease dream curls line does horrible things for my hair. Don't know why, just know that it does.