PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrows!!

MoonLightFairy
April 23rd, 2013, 12:28 AM
So I'm wondering what all of your opinions are on the color of your eyebrows when changing your hair color. It seems like most don't try to match it.
You may get offended..... but I think it look horribly awkward and soo bad. I have a pet peeve about bleached blondes with dark brown eyebrows shudder: shade off aint so bad, there are exceptions but for the most part I want to keep mine the same or close to it. I'm contemplating doing my eyebrows when I do the rest of my hair, but I'm afraid it'll look odd, so in comparison the different color would look better? What do you all think? Do you like to keep them the same or change them?

sunshine-locks
April 23rd, 2013, 12:32 AM
Change them as long as they're natural colours, don't dye them the same if you're going pink or blue or anything unnatural :P
Oh! Except when you're going red, with henna or box dye; redheads generally don't have red eyebrows too haha.

Syaoransbear
April 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM
I kinda like bleach blondes with dark eyebrows, because bleach blonde eyebrows tend to look invisible. I'm naturally dark blonde and my eyebrows look pretty non-existent if I don't use an eyebrow pencil or eyeshadow.

Plus I really can't imagine dark eyebrow 'roots' looking that great. I do admit that I find black hair and light blonde eyebrows to look strange, though.

Fantak
April 23rd, 2013, 01:10 AM
I bleach my eyebrows to a brown, not blonde since they'd be invisible.

And yes eyebrow roots look awful :p

inertia
April 23rd, 2013, 01:22 AM
I lighten my hair from off-black to medium brown. For my eyebrows I use the "trimming and filling" technique that's popular in Japan, which is safer and easier than dying them. It's just trimming the eyebrow hairs short, to maybe .5 cm long. When the hairs are shorter, it makes the brow as a whole appear lighter in color. Then, I use a matte eyeshadow to fill in the brow with a color to match my dyed hair, and once it's all been filled in with tan or chestnut brown you have to get really close to notice that the little hairs are actually black. I trim around once a week and it only takes a minute or two.

I have a special pair of eyebrow scissors with a comb attachment like these, which makes it easy to trim the hairs to a consistent length.
http://www.sephora.com/eyebrow-trimmer-brush-P139400

UltraBella
April 23rd, 2013, 01:25 AM
I've never seen eyebrow roots, ever, and I own two salons. Now I'm going to have to pay more attention !

When I was coloring my hair a copper red color, I would dye my eyebrows a warm tone - not so they matched my hair, just to they blended in better.

I happen to like darker eyebrows, so a bleached blonde with dark eyebrows is sexy in my book. But I don't like to see someone darken their hair considerably & not color their brows darker, that looks a bit odd to me.

Suze2012
April 23rd, 2013, 01:32 AM
Not all eyebrows match hair colour.

I know a few natural blondes with naturally darker brows.

My hair is much darker than my brows - my brows are very very blonde.

vamq
April 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
When I still dyed my hair red with henna, I used a brick-red eyepencil + powder to color my eyebrows.
As my natural eyebrows are darkbrown (totally clashing with my natural, light haircolor), this gave a slight hint of red.
I never succesfully dyed my eyebrows. I tried, but it wasn't visible at all and for me, it was such a hassle. The make-up worked better for me.
I guess it looked natural, some people were (and are) really surprised to see me grow out my natural color :P

MasCat
April 23rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
Yep, I had a friend who was a strawberry blonde, her hair would lighten to a very light blonde and her eyebrows were really dark - and she looked stunning.
(I know it was her natural colour, because she was my BFF in grade school and high school :)

Jesabel
April 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
Eye brows should be a close match in my opinion - except for those with light shades of hair. It looks nice when their eyebrows are a darker shade than their hair but still of the same tone and not for e.g. black eyebrows with blond hair. Eye brows a few shades darker (but not too much) are good, nothing worse than invisible brows!

Kherome
April 23rd, 2013, 05:46 AM
Eye brows should be a close match in my opinion - except for those with light shades of hair. It looks nice when their eyebrows are a darker shade than their hair but still of the same tone and not for e.g. black eyebrows with blond hair. Eye brows a few shades darker (but not too much) are good, nothing worse than invisible brows!

I agree with this

GeoJ
April 23rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hmm... I know a natural blonde with dark eyebrows, and a natural brunette with pale eyebrows. My friend with the pale eyebrows often uses brown mascara on them because she feels self conscious about it. The other friend looks great with dark brows and blonde hair. It's all personal opinion anyway, and the only thing that matters is what the owner of the eyebrows likes.

My personal stance: I would never change (as in dye) my eyebrow color because it seems like too much upkeep that I wouldn't want to bother with. If all my hair went white (including brows) while I'm still young, I might do the mascara thing my friend does, but I would not bother with dye.

:)

HadessThera
April 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
When I was young I had very white natural blonde hair and nearly black eyebrows, my eyebrows have now gone a bit lighter now (more of a dark brown) but I've never dyed them, I now have the sort of shade that looks natural with pretty much any hair colour I've had other than the bright unnatural shades haha chameleon eyebrows ;) for those super bright shades, I would use eyeliner pencils in bright colours to match them to my hair for modelling shoots or events which looked really cool but was a lot of effort for daily wear, I've always been too wary of dyeing my eyebrows, don't know why seeing as tinting my eyelashes (they're black but the very tips are always white) has never phased me but I figure if it isn't broken (and eyebrow pencils/shadows/waxes are an option) then why fix it :shrug: and I agree with Ultrabella, I think dark, bold eyebrows (so long as they're neat) are super sexy and sultry :eyebrows:

Springlets
April 23rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
My eyebrows do actually match my hair, but they often look like they don't. My guess is that with the difference in placement on my body, my hair and eyebrows are affected by different lighting. Usually when my eyebrows look dark, my hair will look light; when my eyebrows look light, my hair looks dark.

I disagree that people with light eyebrows don't look good. Usually that happens with lighter hair, and therefore it should look natural. I do agree for people who dye their hair, they should match the tone of their eyebrows with their hair color (like Ultra Bella said she did).

Anje
April 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
The only time my eyebrows have EVER remotely matched my hair was when I dyed my hair a warm brown-black. Some of those dark-browed blonds the OP is complaining about might be natural. I know my dark-browed redhead thing was.

UltraBella
April 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'd just like to point out that when people dye their eyebrows, they are depositing color, that's different than people bleaching their brows lighter. It's usually a Demi-color and softly fades away - so there isn't any maintenance if you don't want there to be. As you wash your face, over several weeks the color gets softer & lighter until your brows are back to the way they were before you dyed them. No weird grow-out or need to do anything to them, unless you like them darker.

I dye my eyebrows darker whenever I feel like it. I'd guess the color is two shades darker than the hair on my head.

HollyG
April 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
I have a few naturally blonde friends with dark eyebrows (i thought they dyed it but their roots are just a little darker), I don't usually bother especially as i keep my hair quite dark, i do have to use a pencil though as my eyebrows still haven't fully darkened yet and i'm 21?!
My sis and her bf's sis put hair dye on their brows for 5-10 minutes which seems to work - i just don't like the idea of it being that close to my eyes

Ligeia_13
April 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
So I'm wondering what all of your opinions are on the color of your eyebrows when changing your hair color. It seems like most don't try to match it.
You may get offended..... but I think it look horribly awkward and soo bad. I have a pet peeve about bleached blondes with dark brown eyebrows shudder: shade off aint so bad, there are exceptions but for the most part I want to keep mine the same or close to it. I'm contemplating doing my eyebrows when I do the rest of my hair, but I'm afraid it'll look odd, so in comparison the different color would look better? What do you all think? Do you like to keep them the same or change them?

Don't assume that a blonde woman has dyed hair just because her eyebrows are dark ;) My mother is blonde and she had extremely dark eyebrows. So did a friend of mine in high school.

I've never dyed my eyebrows to match but other than a tomato red and a copper colour, I've never really gone light. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't dye them, I'd be afraid of it changing my face too much.

PolarCathy
April 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have no problem with eyebrows that are darker than the hair. I think it's the overall complexion that matters though, for example I'd be very surprised to see an Indian person with tanned skin, black eyebrows and bleached hair.

But when I see someone with dyed black hair and no eyebrows, especially if it's so light that it looks like shaven off, and/or with pale skin, I find it odd at the very least, but sometimes it gives me shivers (think Goths with dyed black hair, in black clothes, no eyebrows -- I see that a lot in Sweden, where a lot of folks are genetically very light in their complexion). I guess I'd dye my eyebrows in that situation.

alexis917
April 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
My eyebrows are black and my hair super dark brown...so changing the color of my brows is too bothersome for me.
I haven't bothered to dye my hair in forever though.

Nymph
April 23rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
I like both actually. I have a friend who's a natural blonde and has no visible eyebrows, and she's stunning. I know people with bleached blonde and black eyebrows, and it's fine as well.

Back when I dyed my hair a lighter red I just bleached a little bit lighter, so they were blonde-ish. Now I have a dark copper and I leave them natural.

MoonLightFairy
April 24th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all your replies :)
I never knew people could naturally have a drastically different color than their hair. I think mine are a tiny bit darker, not noticeable. Only if you take a strand of my hair and put it next to my eyebrows and examine.
And about the light blonde hair and dark eyebrows thing, yes, there are those than look fine like it. And the ones I'm taking about are definitely not a natural blonde. I think it looks fine when they got an ombre thing going or when they dark under roots thing.
Its something like this that bothers me.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/730/scarlettjohansson3e7813nb8.jpg

But anyway, I guess it would be fine and would probably only bother me if it didn't match exactly.

lapushka
April 24th, 2013, 03:05 AM
I doubt it would look as good if she had light blonde eyebrows! No, I don't mind the contrast at all, and don't quite see where you're coming from. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:

MoonLightFairy
April 24th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Not light blond like her hair just lighter shade of brown or light brown like this, I think it flows better on her face, not so BAM!! lol
http://imnotabarbie.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/blonde-hair-color.jpg
Doesn't matter, we all like something different. I'd say I guess I'm more drawn to the natural look....but I have blue in my hair right now lol so who knows ;)

ghost
April 24th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I shave my brows and draw them back on, usually in the style of Anjelica Sehlin (http://www.murderotic.com) or Adora BatBrat (http://adorabatbrat.blogspot.com), or a more natural look if I have work. My hair is black, so I use black pencil liner and then go over it with black powder shadow and a very fine brush. My "natural" brows for work typically fool everyone, I've only had one person guess they're not real.

Celtic Morla
April 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I was a really light blond as a kid and my eyebrows darkened when I was about 10 so I had dark brows with very blond hair. Now I am pretty grey and I have dark blond brows. I have know redheads with really blond eyebrows. I find when dyeing skin tone is important to the shade you choose. If the colour doesn't work with your skin it can be very unflattering.

redtuss
April 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I always thought that eyebrows are (almost) always a darker shade then the colour of your head? I have never seen light eyebrows with darker hair (natural colours that is) but the other way around is more common.
Colouring the eyebrows are a hassle, they grow out so fast! I've had blond eyebrows when I have bleached my own hair many years ago, but that was tbh just for fun and not to look attractive, they've also been green, pink, red and all sorts of colours.
Naturally they are brown and my natural hair colour is a blonette shade with golden and copper streaks in certain lights.
Actually I went to have a look now and they are nearly the exact same shade... way to disprove your own theory haha!!

JLeighs
April 25th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I have light brown/dark blond eyebrows. I never colored them until I started having my hair colored copper red (first by my stylist and now henna). The copper color of my hair looked all wrong with the ashier tone of my eyebrows, so now I have them warmed up by my stylist every month or so.

starlamelissa
April 25th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I color my eyebrows, it fades out over time. Ash blonde eyebrows with red hair is a no go.

SleepyTangles
April 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I think its quite rare for eyebrows and hair to match! My eyebrows are a light ash tone, much lighter than my naturally brown hair. My eyelashes have blond tips, too.
My natural blonde friends have all dark eyebrows, expecially one with strawberry blonde curls and fairest skin ever. It looks sophisticated, in my opinion, if the eyebrows are groomed or shaped nicely.
Plus, I've heard make up artists advise brunettes to buy pencil/powders that are two shades lighter than their hair colour, while blondes need to do the opposite.

Mines, I can't dye them with henna because they will end ginger, while my hair is auburn. I warm it out with some powder or a pencil to match the henna red of my hair, but it doesn't feel unnatural if I skip it.

Just my two cents, I wouldn't use chemical dye over an area so close to the eyes. But I'm quite paranoid...

AuburnButterfly
September 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM
My hair color is deep auburn. I like my eyebrows to be one-two shades lighter and just a little browner than my hair. It's a challenge to find the perfect color. I am presently using a Mac eyeshadow called cork to color my brows. So many eye brow powders/pencils in auburn are too red.

hannabiss
September 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM
I like the contrast between light hair and dark brows. But then I always remember the first time I was legolas. Oh sigh

teddygirl
September 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM
My eyebrows are actually lighter than my natural hair colour (most peoples are darker), so it looks okay when I highlight my hair. I don't mind the differnece, I'm more concerned about roots actually, I hate the look of roots.

samanthaj08
September 1st, 2013, 08:30 PM
I have brown hair with disgustingly near-invisible blonde eyebrows >.>

But I feel like they should match or at least not be total opposites.. complimentary

Salmonberry
September 1st, 2013, 09:03 PM
I'm a natural golden blonde with dark brown eyebrows and eyelashes. If my eyebrows were the same color as my hair it would look weird to me. Now flaming red hair with cool brown eyebrows would seem a little off, I guess cause they're not in the same color family.

MunaZaldrizoti
September 1st, 2013, 09:07 PM
I have golden, slightly red hair. My eyebrows used to be lighter when I was younger, but they seemed to have darkened over the past year or so. There's mostly dark brown hairs with some very light blonde hairs.

Pierre
September 1st, 2013, 09:46 PM
I've hennaed my brows, but there's no point to doing so. They grow and fall out so fast, they'd be half undyed by the next time I hennaed. Same with my mustache. With my scalp hair being mostly brown and hennaed, my brows being brown and unhennaed, my mustache gray and unhennaed, and my beard gray and hennaed, I have quite a variety of colors!

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
My eyebrows are brown despite the fact that my hair is blonette naturally. If I were to grow out my natural hair it'd look blonde with dark eyebrows! I DO tint my eyebrows sometimes so that they look a little bit darker, but I'm not obsessive about keeping them as black as my hair, otherwise I'd be spending an awful lot of time at the beauty salon.

clioariane
September 2nd, 2013, 08:39 AM
I actually really love the blond hair/dark brow look. I've grown out my eyebrows completely but am considering having them professionally shaped & tinted since some parts are pretty sparse.

Anabell
September 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'm sure that it will look better with matching eyebrows. But there two problems:
1. It is too close to the eyes. Just think about all the bleaching process, and what might happened if it accidentally spill into the eyes.
2. It is high maintainess. The eyebrows is hairs with very short terminal. I think you got whole new eyebrows within a mount. But if the roots need to be touched anyway I guess it not such a big problem.

jacqueline101
September 2nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
My natural hair color doesn't match my eye brow color.

roboeyes
September 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolutionarily speaking, I think that gingers are probably the only group with super light eyebrows, because eyebrows have two purposes: to catch sweat from our foreheads so it doesn't get in our eyes, and to shade the eyes. Darker eyebrows will absorb more light, thus getting less of it in the eyes, so even blondes often have naturally darker brows.

I color my hair black from a natural medium brown, and while I don't think it makes a huge difference in person, if I don't alter my brow color, it looks ridiculous in photos. I use NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder to subtly darken them.

goldenlady
September 2nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
I bleached my hair a shade lighter and dye my eyebrows a shade darker.. My eyebrows would actually match my bleached hair but I hate not being able to see them.. I look expressionless! There is a fine line though... White hair and black eyebrows are horrid.. but I like my golden hair and light brown eyebrows :)

LAG93
September 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
I naturally have blondette hair, and my eyebrows are a medium to dark brown, but they almost match the darkest parts of my hair, I now henndigo gloss my hair and still my eyebrows almost match the darkest parts of my hair so it doesn't bother me. But if someone has hair that is all one color and their eyebrows don't match that one color I think it can look strange. Although its flattering to have slightly darker eyebrows no matter what shade of hair you have, I think it adds definition to the face! But extremes can be a bit well...extreme! I wouldn't bother dying unless it was absolutely necessary!

Kittney
September 2nd, 2013, 09:31 PM
My mother, brother, and myself all have blonde hair with nearly black eyebrows. When I dyed my hair black my eyebrows didn't need to be bothered.

rileykathleen
September 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I think eyebrow color is just so weirdly unpredictable. Sometimes someone has practically invisible brows and it looks weird and other times I won't even notice. Same with eyebrows that are way darker than whatever the person hair color is. Personally Mine are pretty much black, while my natural color is medium/dark brown. I bleached them lighter once after doing to the same to my hair because my hair was red and I have a lot of red in my natural color, so lightening them a little made them warmer and it looked better.

AmberLouise
September 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
My natural hair color is a medium blonde but my eyebrows are bleach blonde, I have to fill them in otherwise people give me weird looks because it looks like I don't have eyebrows. My sister on the other hand who's hair is only slightly darker than mine has dark brown eyebrows that look almost black compared to her hair color.

browneyedsusan
September 3rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
My eyebrows are thinning as I age, but I pencil them in. I'm kind of funny about eyebrows. They balance out a face, and folks don't look right if their eyebrows are way off-kilter. I recently was helped by a salesgirl with light blue hair and eyebrows. I complimented and she said she colored her hair and used eyeshadow for her eyebrows. Darling girl!

littlemonster
September 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
My hair is naturally blonette, my eyebrows I'd guess a very very dark blonde/blonette (despite being noticeably darker than my hair, they still don't look brown up close). When I was proper bleach blonde I'd lighten them maybe 1/2 a shade. Once I did it too far, it looked "ok" but... not great.

I pluck my eyebrows lightly for shape/stray hairs, but I have long eyebrow hairs and I don't make an effort to stop them looking bushy and fill them in though, far too much work for me. Besides, I like to pretend they catch pollen to protect my eyes from hayfever :D

shutterpillar
September 3rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Sometimes I think mismatched hair and eyebrows look just fine (like on Daenerys from Game Of Thrones), but if I change my hair color to something obviously different from my natural color, then I will usually buy an eyebrow pencil that comes close to my hair color and fill them in with it. I don't stray too far from my natural color (never have, with the exception of purple, which was only streaks).
For instance, I have recently begun to henna my hair. To help my eyebrows blend with my henna'd hair, I will use an auburn brown eyebrow pencil or eyeshadow to fill in my brows. It blends very well with my natural color eyebrows (which are an ashy brown).

Mismatched eyebrows drive my husband crazy. LOL. I tend not to notice too much on other people unless it is blatantly obvious (such as blonde hair and black or dark brown eyebrows).

Kaelee
September 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
My natural haircolor does not match my natural brow color. My brows are a dark, dark, dark brown, almost black (think "espresso") and my hair is a medium ash brown with blonde highlights.

Of course, now I henna it red/auburn, and since it never matched in the first place I don't see why I should be bothered with it matching now. I'm not willing to bleach my eyebrows just so they match (which is what I would have had to do, then and now.)

Kittney
October 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM
For some reason I feel crucified for having naturally brown-black eyebrows and light blonde hair, so many people don't like it, it can be natural....I know that's been said but I feel like it needs to be said again.

Sofialu
January 27th, 2014, 07:32 AM

In the past when I was using bleach I've usually left my eyebrows as they were never that dark so it never looked too dramatic. But when I got married I did dye my brows and generally for an occasion I'd dye my brows, all I did was smear my hair dye over each eyebrow and they would lighten to within a shade or two of my hair.

stachelbeere
January 27th, 2014, 07:40 AM
For some reason I feel crucified for having naturally brown-black eyebrows and light blonde hair, so many people don't like it, it can be natural....I know that's been said but I feel like it needs to be said again.

totally unjustified. I had a friend in primary school who had light silver blonde hair and black eyebrows. When she was born she had black hair that gradually got lighter.
also there seems to be a tendency to darken eyebrows while 'reshaping' them

As for me: I have henna on my lengths (growing it out) and really dark, cool eyebrows and my hair is medium-light ash brown. :shrug:

dancingpoet
January 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
My hair is light-medium golden brown and my eyebrows are a noticeably darker brown. It used to bug me a lot. The funny thing is that I noticed it mostly on myself, and it really doesn't matter to me whether someone's eyebrows match their hair color (though I do agree that when someone with naturally light blond brows dyes their hair black it looks sort of strange, but they don't necessarily have to dye their brows). At some point, I dyed my hair medium-dark brown and it matched my brows and it looked nice and natural. Also, since my brows are dark, I like how it looks when I wear black mascara and eyeliner.

MissHoney
January 27th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I would never dye my eyebrows. Obviously, as a brown person with blonde hair there's a 98% change of looking dumb with matching eyebrows but... my eyebrows are thin/light and not dark in color, so even with freshly dyed hair my eyebrows don't throw off my look. If I did have dark and/or thick/full eyebrows, I'd rather shape them down to a minimum than try to dye them 'blonde'. Besides, most people's eyebrows are a shade of brown, regardless of natural hair color. On the contrary, if I were to dye my med/light brown hair black, I'd definitely have to dye my eyebrows because they would appear too light.

askan
January 27th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I love the dark eyebrows/superblonde hair look. Rita Ora, for example, sports the look and she's gorgeous. However I can't darken my eyebrows much without it looking superwierd and....too maskuline, in lack of a better word. I'm very pale, maybe that's why. My natural hair colour is ash blonde. So i'm going with my natural shade of eyebrows, though defining them a bit with a pencil. When my hair was darker and dyed red, I sometimes darkened them a little more.

Stray_mind
January 27th, 2014, 08:37 AM
My natural hair and my eyebrows are pretty close coloured, but now i henna my hair but i don't dye my eyebrows. I usually accentuate them a bit with brown eyeliner. It doesn't bother me if people have light hair and dark eyebrows. I have a friend whose eyebrows are black and thick and her hair is dark blonde and it doesn't look unnatural or something...

MissHoney
January 27th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I also wanted to add, I think it's a go either way if you want to try to dye your eyebrows or not because by the time your eyebrows grow out that dye, your natural color also starts to show at the roots. I don't know about anyone else but I like when my roots come in, its a nice 'different look', it adds a little contrasts, and my eyebrows being my natural color creates some nice cohesiveness. I really don't mind stretching my touch-ups with this mindset.

Off topic but -- I appreciate my hair-color in 'phases', almost like moon phases. I enjoy the fresh dye, I enjoy a little root color. Once my roots start to look like skunk lines, I wear my hair in textured styles like wash and wear, wet-set curls, etc. or ponytails/buns with a headband... It's a much more 'sustainable' way to look at dying hair, because I enjoy the color at all times rather than only when it's freshly done, which can be overwhelming and annoying to 'wait for' every few weeks.

vanillabones
January 27th, 2014, 08:56 AM
When I had white hair I bleached my eyebrows with body hair bleach. I'd leave it on anywhere from 5-9 minutes the lighter the better since I could always just color them in. I did not want to have super blonde hair and my own dark eyebrows that are much brighter than my natural hair to begin with. My eyebrows are a dark brown and I have light brown hair. It still kind of bugs me (the contrast) but it is natural so I'm not going to bother doing anything about it. The upkeep is a pain in the but and you have to be super careful of how even you apply the dye, how long it stays on, and keeping it away from your eyes.

RancheroTheBee
January 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I'd just like to point out that when people dye their eyebrows, they are depositing color, that's different than people bleaching their brows lighter. It's usually a Demi-color and softly fades away - so there isn't any maintenance if you don't want there to be. As you wash your face, over several weeks the color gets softer & lighter until your brows are back to the way they were before you dyed them. No weird grow-out or need to do anything to them, unless you like them darker.

I dye my eyebrows darker whenever I feel like it. I'd guess the color is two shades darker than the hair on my head.

I basically came here to say this. Every time I colour my hair, I also do my eyebrows, but after about three weeks the dye has faded and so I don't end up seeing any regrowth. It's actually kind of a PITA because I'm not dyeing my hair every month, but my brows fade really quickly. There used to be a brow and lash dyeing kit, but I think they took it off the market. I'd go to a salon, but it seems like a lot of money for two weeks worth of eyebrows that still need to be pencilled in.

EmmAutumn
January 27th, 2014, 11:25 AM
My eyebrows match my natural hair color (ashy dark blond), but compared to my red/auburn hennaed hair they look pale gray... I lightly pencil them in with a very warm light brown and i think that looks okay. Honestly, i think henna on my eyebrows every 2 weeks would drive me crazy!

Bambi
January 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I've been using an eyebrow pencil for many years but now when I don't dye my hair anymore there is really no need...love it!

Brattina88
January 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM
My cousin is a natural blonde and I was always jealous of her natural dark eyebrows. Yea, the didn't technically "match" but it was natural and the way she thinned them made her eyes look awmazing ;)

Kome
January 27th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I've tried to change mine with henna, and it looked quite good, but faded after a few days. So it was kinda pointless, but it looked good while it was done. *shrugs*

Ashflower89
January 27th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I never paid attention to my eyebrows during my dye addiction phase. But one time, I went black again and somebody made the comment that it looked like my ash blonde eyebrows completely disappeared. I looked in the mirror and realized it was true, and it actually bothered me so much that I scrambled back to blonde. The last time I dyed my hair before giving it up was a blood red color, and I actually applied the dye to my eyebrows with a mascara brush. It did the trick and looked awesome, but theres no good way to describe what eyebrows look like when the "roots" start to grow out after dying. It was weird.... I think paying attention to my eyebrows made me embrace my natural color more, since it actually matched.

Sofialu
November 15th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Ive been growing out my natural colour for 11 months and I've found my natural colour is a few shades lighter than my brows and looking back at photos as I grew up my brows were always darker.

maborosi
November 15th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I lift my brows a few shades to a more medium warm brown. My brows are naturally level 2 or so and I currently have copper hair. I don't really want the contrast, though it might be kind of fun.

btw- I have blonde hair (I'm not sure exactly what level) and very dark brows. It is a possible natural combination. I think it's more common with cooler/ashier tones though.

fiğrildi
November 15th, 2014, 05:47 PM
My eyebrows are naturally much darker than my natural hair colour. They are not black, but they are dark brown, and they contrast a lot with my dark blonde hair. So I lighten them a little (a shade darker than my hair), so that I look "natural". I used to be asked if I dyed my hair blonde, because my eyebrows were so dark, and people couldn't believe that was my natural hair combination. A lot of people look very beautiful with brows don't matching their hair colour, but not my case. When I started lightening them, my friends and family complimented me for some time, saying that I was looking great, but none of them could actually figure out what had changed in my looks... subtle changes can make a difference.

Begemot
November 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I have seen some succesful attempts to alter eyebrow color. I personally really like the look of very dark brows paired with blonde hair.
I also have eyebrows darker than my hair color. They were red and pretty fair when I was a baby but now they are very dark brown. My natural hair is light chesnut-y brown in it's darkest i.e. my roots. So not a very stark difference there.

MINAKO
November 15th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I lighten my hair from off-black to medium brown. For my eyebrows I use the "trimming and filling" technique that's popular in Japan, which is safer and easier than dying them. It's just trimming the eyebrow hairs short, to maybe .5 cm long. When the hairs are shorter, it makes the brow as a whole appear lighter in color. Then, I use a matte eyeshadow to fill in the brow with a color to match my dyed hair, and once it's all been filled in with tan or chestnut brown you have to get really close to notice that the little hairs are actually black. I trim around once a week and it only takes a minute or two.

I have a special pair of eyebrow scissors with a comb attachment like these, which makes it easy to trim the hairs to a consistent length.
http://www.sephora.com/eyebrow-trimmer-brush-P139400

i do this too, not so much to lighten my brows but to make them lay flat against the face. i have bold brows with a few sparse areas so it makes it look more even. i used to try a ****load of products and techniques and now most likely draw individual hairs in a soft black cream over a light ash powder base. takes a bit longer but looks the most realistic. overall i keep them cool toned to match my hair and think its really annoying that there are so many products for warmer shades that i cant even try, although they would work. i dunno, i like a strong brow but also adore the no-brow look on a blonde person, really depends on the rest of the face, eyes and makeup. one thing i cannot stand on anyone is thin sharpie brows, but as everything my taste might not be someone elses.

Sharysa
November 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that some black-haired people's eyebrows look lighter than their hair?

Maybe it's because I'm brown, but my eyebrows actually don't look black--they look dark gray or even invisible once my brows start tapering off halfway through, so I usually need to even them out with eyebrow pencil for formal events. Although I do have triangle brows, so maybe that specific shape is contributing to the gray look.

Sharysa
November 15th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that some black-haired people's eyebrows look lighter than their hair?

Maybe it's because I'm Filipino with medium skin, but my eyebrows actually don't look black--they look dark gray and sometimes invisible once my brows start tapering off, so I usually need to even them out with black eyebrow pencil for formal events. Although I do have triangle brows, so maybe that specific shape is contributing to the gray look.

diddiedaisy
November 16th, 2014, 04:26 AM
I used to be a natural blonde (now a bottle blonde), and my eyebrows have always been a light brown. Blonde is a fickle beast and I think only those with natural very pale blonde hair that magically doesn't darken with age have very light eyebrows.

Personally, I have always been thankful for my brown eyebrows.

ZeppHead
November 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Never dyed my brows never would. Unless I was going a very different color other than medium blonde to medium brunette they look fine. Natural brow color looks best IMO

Beckstar
November 16th, 2014, 09:39 AM
My hair is a medium brown (and grey) and my natural eyebrows are almost an invisible blonde. You can't see them at all but it's natural. My brows right now are tattooed on a dark brown and they match my (dyed) hair. I look odd when they're natural because you can't see them and it looks like I have no brow at all. But that's the way I was made. I don't think too much about brows/hair color because I know mines odd but I'm used to it.

I did use a brickred pencil mixed with brown when I hennaed. I like the way it looks. I just don't like wiping my forehead and accidentally wiping off a brow...lol. I've gone days with funny looks because I had only one eyebrow. That's why I tattooed. Now a little foundation over my brows and I can use a pencil of different shades and shape a little differently if I want to.

nakima
November 17th, 2014, 08:29 PM
my sisters and I are all natural blondes 2 of us have light eye brows and the others have dark. I would much rather have the dark and over the years when I colored my hair I always changed my eye brows to match.

Neptune
November 17th, 2014, 08:52 PM
one thing i cannot stand on anyone is thin sharpie brows.

YES, this. A million times this. Can't stand pencil-thin brows, or brows that clearly don't compliment someone's facial structure or shape. Look in the mirror, ladies (or gents, but I find that ladies are by far the worst offenders)!! As an aside, did anyone see the recent Wonderland magazine cover with Taylor Swift's thick & darkened eyebrows? She looks AMAZING.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2830219/Taylor-Swift-highlights-lithe-physique-jacquard-knit-two-piece-TV-appearance-reveals-striking-new-look-Wonderland-magazine-cover.html

JellyBene
November 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I have naturally light brown/dark blonde hair and for some reason my eyebrows are jet black. I always left them alone with my natural color and of course when I had black hair. Now my hair is henna'd and I use a red-orange eyebrow pencil :)

MINAKO
November 18th, 2014, 02:37 PM
i made a quick comparison. first one shows the difference between hair and brow, while hue is the same it is indeed much lighter in shade like Sharysa mentioned as well. Second one is lightly filled for an everyday look, third is medium heavy and last one is super heavy filled in. I dunno, i think theres use for each one of the looks but i prefer the not so obvious most of the time, lol http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ecOzjXoQbp4/S_oNq_E1oJI/AAAAAAAAAR0/85ACNTpdwzg/s1600/shin-chan.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m32/shimi88/21467844-C4B8-4887-90E5-11758991DF35_zpsbsrhnz2e.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shimi88/media/21467844-C4B8-4887-90E5-11758991DF35_zpsbsrhnz2e.jpg.html)