PDA

View Full Version : Dying a lighter color

MoonLightFairy
April 21st, 2013, 11:50 PM
OK, so I have dark blonde hair. I want to get it a shade or so lighter. I understand that in order to lighten your hair the color needs to be "taken out" (bleached etc.) But a few years back I used a box dye to lighten it and I liked how it came out. It was non permanent and was suppose to wash out after so long. But, I dyed over it with a darker color later on. So my question is....if I do that again, will it come out like it says? Or has some sort of bleaching ingredient like peroxide had to have been in there to do what it did? The color was goldeny, but my hair has natural golden undertones/highlights as it used to be a light golden color when I was younger. So was it lightening my natural hair or was that what it did to my dark shades, similar to how when brunettes try to dye their hair blond and it comes out orangy, but not to that extent because my hair is lighter.
Gosh I hope I'm making sense lol ;)

Fantak
April 22nd, 2013, 12:23 AM
I'm not an expert but my colourist says you can lighten your hair up to two shades with a box dye, you won't need to do a colour lift with peroxide.

However unless you've cut out the dark dye I would be very weary of going lighter, you might end up with two tone hair!

I suggest going to a proffessional just the first time to make sure you get even colour with minimum damage and then the upkeep you can do at home with a box dye :)

HTH ^.^

Mountaingrrl
April 22nd, 2013, 12:32 AM
It was probably a demi-permanent color that contained peroxide but not ammonia, so that it lifted some of your natural color but did not penetrate the hair as deeply (or take out as much of the natural pigment) as a permanent color would.

UltraBella
April 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Anything that lightens/lifts your hair color has a peroxide developer and can't be non-permanent. The only way your hair will darken again is by depositing color over your lightened hair.

MoonLightFairy
April 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not an expert but my colourist says you can lighten your hair up to two shades with a box dye, you won't need to do a colour lift with peroxide.

However unless you've cut out the dark dye I would be very weary of going lighter, you might end up with two tone hair!

I suggest going to a proffessional just the first time to make sure you get even colour with minimum damage and then the upkeep you can do at home with a box dye :)

HTH ^.^
Ah, didn't know that.

No worries, that was a few years ago. This dye will be on virgin hair. That's why I was wondering about the actual washing out or not. Big commitment :D

MoonLightFairy
April 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
It was probably a demi-permanent color that contained peroxide but not ammonia, so that it lifted some of your natural color but did not penetrate the hair as deeply (or take out as much of the natural pigment) as a permanent color would.

Hmm not sure, I'm actually remember trying to find out what exactly it was called last time. Just checked, it has hydrogen peroxide in it. Must be it.

MoonLightFairy
April 22nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Aw, fooy! From reading the reviews it looks like they changes the formula and the color looks different :( I wanted that one because I'd be sure I like the color. *sigh*

Alright, so since this must be a 'demi' and is actually lightening my hair, hows that different from getting just permanent?