PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner Recs? Chealating/Clarifying shampoo Recs?

deedrr
April 21st, 2013, 06:18 PM
Looking for a good conditioner from drugstore or beauty supply houses That is deeply moisturizing but doesn't make hair oily or weigh it down. I have super fine thin hair. Also wouldn't mind recommendations for a chelating or clarifying shampoo to deal with velcro ends.

Kaelee
April 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
I have fine hair (but not thin hair) and I used to LOVE Aussie 3mm.

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
I use Joico chelating poo for clarifying and chelating. I use Pantene Ice Shine S&C. I have fine hair, ii thickness. I have never felt it weighs my hair down at all.

jacqueline101
April 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
I use vo5 shampoo and conditioner. I use sauve to clarify next I'm trying vo5 for that.

Louise148
April 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Another vote for Joico Chelating shampoo although I only use it about once a month as it really does what it says and strips everything out so I wouldn't use it too much on my thin, fine hair.

The conditoners I use tend to change a lot as I get bored using the same ones. But I like Tresemme Naturals Conditioner which I use when I CO a few times a week. I love Nexxus Luxxtress Leave-in hair moisturiser but it does have cones in it which my hair loves although not everyone's hair does. I also use Giovanni Leave-in Conditioner as well although you have to be careful on the amount as it can feel a bit waxy but that one doesn't have cones in.

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Yes, definitely only use the Joice once a month or so. It is also an after-swim shampoo (gets out chlorine) FYI.

dwell_in_safety
April 22nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joico cheating shampoo strips eeeeeverything. My hair had absolutely ridiculous volume after using it lol. I'd give it a vote for worth the money. I use it every three months in my washes before or after a trim (whichever is closest to the day of the trim).

akilina
April 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Another vote for joico chelating shampoo.
I do like it..Havent even had to use it in several months though. It really does do nicely. As well, it does not leave my hair in a knotted dry damaged feeling knot.

patienceneeded
April 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Yet another Joico recommendation. Their chelating shampoo is quite impressive. I use it about every six week, whenever my hair starts to behave badly. I have completely different hair texture than the OP (super thick and wavy) so my everyday shampoo and conditioner recs probably won't be beneficial.

jeanniet
April 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't use a chelating shampoo unless you really need to (have mineral build up), but Joico is very good. I have well water, and I use the Joico shampoo probably twice a year or so. I do citric acid rinses after every wash, and that's enough of a mild chelator to keep my hair in pretty good shape.

OK, I went back and read the other thread. Since your hair is pretty fragile, I would try clarifying, but not chelating unless you really have a specific reason you think you need to (swimming a lot, well water, etc.). If you do chelate, follow with a heavy-duty moisture treatment because your hair will be stripped and dry. I'd suspect that the issue is with the highlights causing damage over time, so protein and moisture are going to be your friend!

RubyTuesday
April 22nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
I have been using Matrix clarifying shampoo once every 5 or 6 weeks and it is pretty good.

I also have fine hair but lots of it and like alberto balsam conditioners. Recently been using TIGI Honey and oatmeal which is not too heavy.

renia22
April 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Wow that is interesting so many people find Joico chelating to be so cleansing/ clarifying. I bought it once and thought it was too moisturizing and thought it was strange that for a clarifying shampoo it was pearly/creamy? I have no idea why I bought it since we have soft well water, so maybe that's why it didn't work?. My sister liked it, though.

For clarifying, I like good old fashioned Prell or Finesse Volumizing. Kenra clarifying is pretty good, it smells like grapefruit & it also chelates. Aubrey Organics Camomile volumizing conditioner is nice for fine hair. Bath & Body Works volumizing conditioner is surprisingly decent. That one has silicones but I haven't experienced any problems with it weighing hair down or anything like that. You can only find it online, though.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
Any shampoo that contains both sls and sles is good in my book, so I love Pantene and Herbal Essences for that. For conditioner, I'm a F as well, I love the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, it's *amazing*.

HollyG
April 23rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Aussie 3mm has started to save my hair tbh, just gets a little heavy if i use it too much. Herbal essences hello hydration (deep and normal cond.) i am in love with and also smells great and is cheap XD
I'm using Naked volume at the moment which i'm finding pretty good

blondie9912
April 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Live Clean Apple Cider something something shampoo. Amazing and smells SO GOOD, like fresh apples!

Kherome
April 24th, 2013, 06:14 AM
L'anza chelating is the best!

heidi w.
April 24th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Clarifying's what one usually does first. Before proceeding to chelating. Why? Because clarifying attacks only what's on the external area of the hair; whereas chelating, pronounced key-late-ing, handles what has literally bound to the hair shaft, the interior of hair. I only once recommended chelating for a person and that was all she needed. Otherwise I've always recommend clarifying, which can be achieved with a simple home hair recipe of 3 T of shampoo mixed well with 3 T of baking soda. If left unconditioned as the aftermath of this type of hair wash, your hair will be dry, brittle, and possibly easier to snap off. So condition well after clarifying of any kind, not the scalp hair; only the length. And all will be fine. Mix the equal parts of baking powder with shampoo of your choice. Beware of shampoos that clarify every single hair wash; this is not a good idea to use. If you don't want to mix the clarify shampoo yourself, just look for a product with "clarify" as part of the description of the shampoo. You really shouldn't need to chelate ever. Good luck.
heidi w.

Panth
April 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Pantene clarifying shampoo works very well. It also chelates, though it doesn't advertise it - not only did it clarify my hair, it removed all the limescale from my bathroom sink...

Kaelee
April 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Pantene clarifying shampoo works very well. It also chelates, though it doesn't advertise it - not only did it clarify my hair, it removed all the limescale from my bathroom sink...

:lol: I don't know that this information will be useful for my hair, but it might definitely be useful for my bathroom fixtures. :lol:

ghost
April 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I've always used Vo5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze for clarifying, but now I'm thinking about trying the Joico shampoo next time my hair needs clarifying.

For conditioner, my hair really likes Herbal Essence's Color Me Happy, and Mystic Divine hair masque.