PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for a towel or t-shirt

neko_kawaii
April 21st, 2013, 04:33 PM
I had the good fortune a while back to find a t-shirt bed sheet at the thrift store. I bought it intending to make some pajamas for myself (failed, but oh well) and while tidying up my sewing basket it occurred to me that there was enough of the fabric left over to cut out a large piece to use to dry my hair with. I figured t-shirts are recommended for curlies and wavies for preventing frizz, so why not a big piece of that fabric?

I've heard folks here now and again complain that their hair is too long for a regular towel so I thought I'd point out this solution. Of course, you don't have to leave it to chance to find a sheet at the thrift store as t-shirt material can be bought by the yard at a fabric store (though not at nearly the same bargain).

Mine is about two feet wide and maybe a foot or more longer than my hair when one end is held at the nape. I hold it thus and start twisting the same way I would to make a turban with a bath towel (since I'm not plooping) and as I twist down the length my hair stays in the center and I can then wrap the twisted length around my head and tuck the end in. It is much lighter than a bath towel, and very easy to make since all you need is a pair of scissors and no hemming is needed.

door72067
April 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
oh wow...great tip!

I actually have an old set that wore out in spots but I saved for *you never know*

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2013, 04:57 PM
I was going to say turbie towel.

Carolyn
April 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM
I'm sure you could make a very nice Turbie style towel out of a cotton knit sheet. I think I would use a double layer of the knit fabric though.

neko_kawaii
April 21st, 2013, 05:53 PM
I saw a tutorial for a home made Turbie towel a while back. Too much work. *grin*

spirals
April 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
I just threw out a torn fitted sheet (your typical cotton poplin) and now I'm left with the top sheet. I think I could cut it and use it. I use a microfiber towel right after rinsing, and then plop in a tissue-weight tee, but any lightweight non-nap fabric works for that purpose in my case, since I'm plopping to help it dry faster.

joflakes
April 22nd, 2013, 01:19 AM
That's a great idea!

I use an old pashmina style scarf I have. It's great, and is very long so as my hair grows I won't have trouble fitting it all in! I also enjoy having a purple turban on every time I wash my hair! :laugh:

WaitingSoLong
April 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
I did this about 2 years ago with my old jersey sheet set I discared, only I doubled the towel for absorbancy. My towel is about 3'x4' and two-ply, if you will. It is the only towel I have used on my hair since I made it. Mine is hemmed as it is doubled.

spirals
April 22nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
That's a great idea!

I use an old pashmina style scarf I have. It's great, and is very long so as my hair grows I won't have trouble fitting it all in! I also enjoy having a purple turban on every time I wash my hair! :laugh::lol: I have a sarong made out of purple calcutta cloth. I should just use that. :D

Suze2012
April 23rd, 2013, 12:58 AM
:lol: I have a sarong made out of purple calcutta cloth. I should just use that. :D

I use sarongs too sometimes...just if I have no clean towel at the time as my hair is only BSL.

Great idea though...sometimes you just don't twig that you could use something for something else and you go searching for the thing you need only to realise you have just what you want stashed somewhere - or a bottle of something which you use all the time for one thing and it never occurred to you to use it for something else....doh!