PDA

View Full Version : How often do you S&D?

joflakes
April 21st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering how often you all S&D?

I've just started doing it about once every month or so but wanted to know how often the average was!

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
Only when I see them is when I do it.

faellen
April 21st, 2013, 03:35 PM
Only when I notice bad splits, and if I'm in the mood for it. Admittedly I'm not over anxious about not doing it religiously, it is a bit of a chore.

SerinaDaith
April 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM
Every so often I'll fan out my hair and spot a couple so then I go through and check as well as I can on my short length. Still can't quite see the hair at the back of my head so I do sometimes worry about how bad it may be back there...

arjay.d
April 21st, 2013, 03:44 PM
When I comb my hair at night, I kind of check it. If I see any obvious ones, I cut them. Otherwise, I do a true S&D maybe once a month, if that often.

CurlyMopTop
April 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM
Never. My hair breaks before it splits. I just trim every 3 to 4 months.

cathair
April 21st, 2013, 04:51 PM
Every time I find a tangle that has a split in it, or every time I see one and I am near my scissors.

Yozhik
April 21st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Ever since I did a big 6" chop and got rid of my most damaged pre-LHC hair - never. ^_^

This is a pretty new feeling for me, though, because I used to S&D for 10-30 mins most days for the first two years when I joined. :eek:

shutterpillar
April 21st, 2013, 06:03 PM
I just snip them off whenever I see them. About once a month I will sit down and do a big lengthy session, but it's usually just when they make themselves known.

ravenreed
April 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM
I do it on an as needed basis. If I see a few, I make time to do a thorough session. Otherwise I just cut off the obvious ones. If I have a lot, for whatever reason, I just microtrim and move on with life.

sisi33
April 21st, 2013, 07:41 PM
I chose the "cheese" option, as I only do it when I remember, can find my scissors, and am in a good mood. Otherwise, they stay where they are. S&D'ing tends to be around every 2-3 months.

neko_kawaii
April 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
As needed provided the weather outside is not damp or windy and I can expect to be left alone for an extended period of time. Basically cheese.

anitacs9101
April 21st, 2013, 08:25 PM
I keep my scissors in my purse in a case and whenever I see one I snip it. I should probably do it more often, but whenever I try I can only find one or two in like a 10 minute session and I feel like I'm not making progress >.< Then I'll be looking at my hair the next day and they seem to pop out of nowhere... :rolleyes:

earthnut
April 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Never. I guess that's cheese? I never see split ends anymore so I only trim to shape my hemline.

minxe
April 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Every day. I'm growing out heat damage (I straightened or curled my hair every day for around three years) so keeping up with my ever-splitting hair is a necessity. I'm always near my shears.

joflakes
April 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks all! It's interesting to hear. I was in the sun the other day and I saw a load of white dots, freaked out and planned to do a S&D asap...then when I got home I couldn't find them! Argh! So annoying :laugh:

missfaroe
April 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Once a month- or whenever i see them :)

rowie
April 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
To be honest I used to S&D, but now I don't because my hair breaks off before I need to trim it. I know this cause every night i'd condition my ends with virgin coconut oil and i'd massage it to my ends with a pulling method, and if their are any splits it would of broken off. But that is just me, I have a lot of wirey strands that are thick and coarse. My hair is hard to manage and is resistant to heat and bleach (what's funny is I don't do any of those when I could, but i'm just a boring guy who likes fancy toys to contain my crazy hair in a bun on a daily basis).

ladylowtide
April 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
I never S&D. So I chose the cheese. I'm no scissors period until I get to TBL. So far 2 years, but the only time I've ever seen spilts in my hair is when I bleached it platinum, and I cut that off years ago. I am getting excited for when I can trim to thicken up my ends though.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Lately - never. It makes me hate my hair because I always find scores of splits, knots, roughened cuticle, and scrunched-up looking ends. Also I don't think it does one bit of good. I have probably 120,000 hairs; there's no way I can get a good look at even 1% of them.

Naiadryade
April 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Every day. I usually have my shears nearby, and whenever I notice some I take a few minutes to find more. If I've had it up and/or been busy all day, I'll make some time in the evening or the next morning to do a good 10-20 minutes. Splits multiply exponentially in my hair, because they cause tangles which cause more splits, so keeping on top of them before they can create problems helps keep them minimal.

QMacrocarpa
April 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Still never. :)

juliaxena
April 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
I am against doing it on my hair because I achieve nothing but layery look. Hair just splits again and keeps getting more and more uneven. I did it a couple of weeks ago after not doing it for a long time. First time ever my hair is not just splitting further.

Sharysa
April 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
Once a month every new moon.

My hair is pretty coarse, so it's resilient unless I try to bun it or I leave it down too much.

oktobergoud
April 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Whenever I see one! I had a S&D about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I found a split end again and did another S&D session :) Only found another one pfew :P

Kyaatje
April 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
At the moment "whenever I see one" means I S&D daily. Not to long because then I get scissor happy and start snapping away wildly. At the moment I need to do it like that (and sadly finding splits really easy) when I dipdyed my hair pink, I didn't have any bleaching experience and I think I overdid so now I'm S&D-ing a lot LOL
Now with the new scissors and doing it almost daily, i notice a decrease in splits. I'm adding catnip rinses to my routine and hope to prevent even more that way

starlamelissa
April 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
Never. Ten charecters

knhess
April 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
I s&d every weekend! It's usually when I have the most free time and I'm able to devote at least 20 minutes to it.

Quahatundightu
April 24th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Now that I'm microtrimming I barely ever have splits, so I just cut them when I see them (same for white dots, which have always plagued me more)

joflakes
April 24th, 2013, 01:23 AM
That was my next question! I have an area where white dots are a pain, but when the little end bits of hair break off there is still a white end. Is this chop worthy? Would you cut a little off?