PDA

View Full Version : Fine hair that gets permanently bent and/or coarse?

Fantak
April 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

I am very gentle with my hair, I never comb it when it's wet, I use a wide toothed comb, oil it regularly and keep it braided and bunned.

However I tend to get these weird permanent bends towards the end of my hair (sometimes 6" from the end :'() and even worse I tend to get coarse wiry sections of an otherwise smooth hair. These turn my hair into velcro and cause knots and breakage. I S&Ded almost all of them out but they keep reappearing!

I'm really frustrated because I don't know what's causing them or how to avoid getting more. I've also never heard anyone on LHC mention anything like this before.

Anyone who has any suggestions or even just knows what I'm talking about please let me know.

Thank you!

earthnut
April 22nd, 2013, 01:17 PM
It may just be the way your hair is. Hair has both an over all shape (round or oval cross section) that makes it straight or curled, and it also sometimes has permanent kinks. Kinks are where your hair is actually twisted, not just oval-shaped. African hair is usually both curled and kinky, but any ethnicity can have kinks. After examining my hair, I determined that my hair had occasional, random kinks along the hair shaft. Each hair will have 2-3 kinks irregularly spaced along the hair shaft. This causes my hair to feel wiry (even though it's fine), have a stubborn frizzness, and it won't clump well (because the kinks aren't regular). Check out this page for more info: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/curly-vs-kinky-what-is-difference.html

What I've done to handle my kinks is to eliminate both combs and brushes (I only finger comb if necessary), and keep some oil or conditioner in my hair. And also, accept it to some extent because there's only so much I can do about them.

Anje
April 22nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
I tend to get those sharp kinks when my hair is over-dry. Maybe you could use a moisture treatment?

Syaoransbear
April 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
I got those a lot, especially the coarseness, when I was dying my hair light blonde. When I'd run my fingers down a single hair strand it would feel smooth until the last 5 or so inches, then it would feel rough and course.