PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic & Current Hair Color

Ravenwind
April 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Hi!

So I know there are a lot of LHC'ers that use manic panic, most often Vampire Red, and I just wanted some input.

I haven't dyed my hair in a year and a half, so the top half of my hair is dirty blonde/light brown, and the bottom half is henna. I've been itching to dye my hair again but I don't want to go as permanent as henna, just so I can have my natural hair color.

Because of my jobs, and trying to get work in the medical field, I can't have colored hair that is too bright and overwhelming (I wouldn't like it either personally). So would vampire red on my current hair color turn out bright vibrant red, or just like...red? I'm not sure >.< I also understand manic panic is semi permanent, which attracts me too, because it can completely wash out over time, right?

Thanks!

Springlets
April 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM
Manic Panic dyes- if you want them in their super bright forms- are meant to be used on level 9 or above hair, which is two steps lighter than your dark blonde. So I don't think it would be vibrant blood red like you might see on the package... but I don't know if if would look natural either (which might not mesh well with your job). If you want red hair that can be washed out eventually, I'd recommend a semi or demi permanent hair color (like natural instincts) or one of those wash in hair colors like Fancifull. As long as you use a color the same as or darker than your natural hair level (I'm guessing you'd be a level 7) then you should be fine.

elea
April 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM
try a bit withing the mass?
it washes out

Soraine
April 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM
If you're looking for my kind of red ( in my display and albums) I bleached to a level 6, a light orange and it's pretty damn bright with vampire red on top. The only issue here might be dye uptake... assuming you want to place it over non-bleached hair it might be possible the dye might not take up. Most people do a bit of peroxide or lift to rough up the cuticles so that the dye will stick better. In my experience when I had dyed my hair using elumen, the bleached part of my dyed black hair vs the virgin roots was noticeably redder.

Like elea said, maybe do a test strand and see how it goes.

Ravenwind
April 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your responses :) I never thought about doing strand test first, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try that.

HylianGirl
April 23rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hey, just wanted to add something: Mixing Manic Panic with white conditioner is a good way to make the color less vibrant, many people dye pastel coloured hair by doing this, maybe you could try it if you hair turn up too red

spidermom
April 23rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Manic Panic washed out of my natural-color hair rapidly. All traces completely gone in 2-3 months, I think, the last bit clinging to my ends.

Ravenwind
April 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Hey, just wanted to add something: Mixing Manic Panic with white conditioner is a good way to make the color less vibrant, many people dye pastel coloured hair by doing this, maybe you could try it if you hair turn up too red

Ohh good to know! Thanks :)

Manic Panic washed out of my natural-color hair rapidly. All traces completely gone in 2-3 months, I think, the last bit clinging to my ends.

Also very good to know :) I think this gives me hope of being able to dye my hair and still maintain my natural color once it washes out :D

Vanille_
April 23rd, 2013, 05:54 PM

Was that Vampire red? It doesn't seem to ever wash out of my hair. At least not the length, I do see it wash out at the roots faster.

I use Vampire Red on dark brown hair and it does not look natural. However, it only pops in light, especially the sun. So under certain circumstances, it still looks brown.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/DSC018171-1.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/onexmorexgirl/media/Hair/DSC018171-1.jpg.html)

Dizzy_zzz
April 23rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I have dark blonde hair, and used Manic Panic Vampire red on it. The result was my siggy pic, especially near the roots. It didn't look natural at all. Oh, and it didn't wash out of my virgin hair at all the last time I dyed it; I had to get it proffessionally removed. But altogether, it's a beautiful colour.