PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else oil their comb/brush?

spirals
April 20th, 2013, 02:16 AM
I have tried detangler and oiling my hair before combing, with less than satisfactory results. But for some reason putting a very thin coating of oil on the comb tines or brush bristles works better. Maybe it's because oiling my hair only gets the top layer? I was thinking I'd need to tweak my detangler recipe, but maybe I don't even need it. Maybe I should put oil and alcohol in a spray bottle so I can apply it more easily. (I used oiled fingertips.)

neko_kawaii
April 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I sometimes oil my comb too. Seems to work well for when I only want to put on a drop or two.

itdontmatter48
April 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I have a couple wooden combs and horn combs that I oil frequently. They are by far my favorite hair tools!

sisi33
April 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Yep, I oil my wooden comb. Helps it go through my hair, and keeps the wood looking nice!

BambooBeauty
April 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I never have but im going to now!!! Thanks for the tip!

earthnut
April 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I oiled my wood comb, to keep the wood in good condition. But I didn't oil it to oil my hair. Though since I used the same oil on my hair and comb (olive) it certainly didn't hurt!

meteor
April 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks so much for the tip, Spirals! :) I'll try it, I hope it works on my straight-ish hair, too. I never figured out how to oil underlayers, and this might help.
Maybe I should put oil and alcohol in a spray bottle so I can apply it more easily. (I used oiled fingertips.) What is the purpose of alcohol in a detangler spray? As a preservative, or for something else? I just always thought alcohol is very drying...

earthnut
April 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM
What is the purpose of alcohol in a detangler spray? As a preservative, or for something else? I just always thought alcohol is very drying...

The alcohol is to help distribute the spray/oil/whatever better and more evenly. It can be drying, because it evaporates quickly, but if she let the alcohol evaporate for a bit before brushing her hair, it would be already gone and wouldn't harm her hair.

earthnut
April 20th, 2013, 02:18 PM
stupid double post

meteor
April 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Great! Thank you, Earthnut! :)

spirals
April 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
The alcohol is to help distribute the spray/oil/whatever better and more evenly. It can be drying, because it evaporates quickly, but if she let the alcohol evaporate for a bit before brushing her hair, it would be already gone and wouldn't harm her hair.
Exactly. I do put some alcohol in my spray gel and my acid rinse to keep them from spoiling, and it doesn't seem to harm my hair.

minxe
April 21st, 2013, 01:07 AM
I do! It seems to make everything smoother :)

woolyleprechaun
April 21st, 2013, 02:02 AM
I oil my wood and horn combs (sometimes with shea butter because it goes on like a wax :)) as it just seems to keep them in good condition and give a tiny oiling to my hair at the same time. I also lightly smear my BBB with oil (usually almond or any other light coloured, light smelling oil) just to keep the bristles nice.

arjay.d
April 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Would this help keep the oil towards the ends? Recently when I've oiled the oil tends to move to my scalp and the ends get dry. Has anyone else experienced this?

spirals
April 29th, 2013, 02:15 AM
It might help if you oil the comb and them comb the lengths first. By then most of the oil will be off the comb, and you can do your roots.

mleung
April 30th, 2013, 09:40 PM
i can see how this would be great for wooden combs & bbb, but would people recommend this for implements made out of synthetic material? i have a denman brush & have been wondering how to keep it clean...

LadyCelestina
May 1st, 2013, 12:27 AM
I do this with hairspray - lightly spray comb and smooth down crazy baby hairs near my scalp.

How do you de-grease the comb afterwards? Just wash it with soap?

jeanniet
May 1st, 2013, 12:30 AM
If you have a Denman with the rubber pad, or a MP brush, you shouldn't oil it. Oil degrades the rubber.

furnival
May 1st, 2013, 02:55 AM
How do you de-grease the comb afterwards? Just wash it with soap?
You should never wash a wooden comb with water or soap. Clean it with oil- the oil soaks into the wood and protects it from water, which is damaging to wood and can cause roughening of the surface, warping and cracking.

To clean a wooden comb, rub oil into it, leave for ten minutes or so and wipe thoroughly with a clean soft cloth.

LadyCelestina
May 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
You should never wash a wooden comb with water or soap. Clean it with oil- the oil soaks into the wood and protects it from water, which is damaging to wood and can cause roughening of the surface, warping and cracking.

To clean a wooden comb, rub oil into it, leave for ten minutes or so and wipe thoroughly with a clean soft cloth.

Oh - I was actually wondering whether I should wet my combs and sticks or not!A friend who made me a few hairsticks told me he doesn't know for sure,but wooden spoons do get wet often and he has had one for years.
So I washed my comb with water and soap a few times after scritching .It was not expensive and I can get another one fairly easily,but since I own mine for so long,I might as well take good care of it!

furnival
May 2nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Aye, wooden spoons are a good example of what water does to wood :p
If you look closely at the surface of the spoon you'll see it isn't smooth and shiny, it's rough and kind of furry where the water has frayed the grain. Not the sort of finish you want to be trying to push through your hair ;)
Incidentally, wooden spoons and any other wooden kitchen implements benefit from oiling too, as long as they are fully dry when you oil them.