PDA

View Full Version : Safe and easy way to dye eyebrows?

Kherome
April 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I figure if anyone will know, it will be ya'll. My eyebrows are too light, and I'd like to darken them. Is there a safe way to do this? I don't want a daily thing like a brow pencil etc. I'm hoping someone here will know!

door72067
April 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I've used Clairol Balsam hair color (hair color always says *not* to do this!!) and an old eyebrow brush

I mix 1tsp of color with 1 tsp of developer, use the brush to put it on and let it on for maybe 5 or 6 minutes (I am careful to get just the hairs, and not my skin at all)

then, I dampen a paper towl and wipe as much off with that as I can, then I wet another paper towel and put a drop of liquid soap on it and wipe well, then once more (with feeling! ha! ha!) with a plain damp paper towel

I'd say do some sort of patch test to be sure you won't have an allergic reaction

Carolyn
April 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I have mine brows done at a salon. I don't think it's unsafe. I've thought about trying it at home to save money but I haven't gotten around to getting the dye. I still have to fill in a bit and give myself more of an arch but it's not a lot to do on a daily basis.

millyaulait
April 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I just use my regular hair dye and a cotton bud (q-tip? :o) for this. Apply with cotton bud, leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse very carefully.

I would recommend afterwards using a facial scrub on the brows afterwards to combat any dye that might have settled onto the skin underneath.

Sometimes I end up with brows like Bert from Sesame Street for a day but it works! :lol:

UltraBella
April 19th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Regular hair dye is fine - just don't get it in your eyes ! Put vaseline around the perimeter of your brows to prevent skin staining.

long&blonde
April 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I get mine dyed monthly at a salon.
My experience has been the upper end "name" salons tell you it''s illegal,they can't dye your brows. The little neighborhood beauty parlors & small chain salons in strip malls will do it.
It's the best part of me going to the salon to get my white roots colored. As my hair's coming in white,they leave the dye on my brows the full 45 minutes so it takes. I've been going every other month lately.

Bagginslover
April 20th, 2013, 02:31 AM
If you're worried about using a hair dye, you could look for those home kits of eyelash tint and use that. They are formulated to be safer in the eye area ;)

Indigostreams
April 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Hi Kherome, my eyebrows are naturally very light also. So I used to use a medium brown box dye to darken them. I would be VERY careful, and make the paste really thick so that it wouldn't drip. But this is very risky, and having nicer eyebrows is not worth going blind for (if I were to get some in my eyes.) So then I read on here about using castor oil to thicken eyebrows/eyelashes. So I started rubbing some on my eyebrows every night or at least every other night, and my eyebrows have grown in thicker, and darker! I sort of massage it well into my eyebrows and leave it on overnight. It really works for me, so I suggest you try it yourself. Its safe too!

akilina
April 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Any dye would be fine but I would not use permanent dye. Thats just me personally though.

I think its pretty much very safe to do. The only reason it is opposed is because they don't want a law suit on their hands, or someone to sue them because they got hair dye in their eyes and somehow its the companies fault.

Anje
April 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I think its pretty much very safe to do. The only reason it is opposed is because they don't want a law suit on their hands, or someone to sue them because they got hair dye in their eyes and somehow its the companies fault.

Well, that and having an allergic reaction near your eyes might be worse than having one on top of your head!

Definitely do the patch test.

UltraBella
April 20th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I get mine dyed monthly at a salon.
My experience has been the upper end "name" salons tell you it''s illegal,they can't dye your brows. The little neighborhood beauty parlors & small chain salons in strip malls will do it.
It's the best part of me going to the salon to get my white roots colored. As my hair's coming in white,they leave the dye on my brows the full 45 minutes so it takes. I've been going every other month lately.

Where I live it is legal - but I know it's illegal for a salon to dye eyebrows in several states.

Hi Kherome, my eyebrows are naturally very light also. So I used to use a medium brown box dye to darken them. I would be VERY careful, and make the paste really thick so that it wouldn't drip. But this is very risky, and having nicer eyebrows is not worth going blind for (if I were to get some in my eyes.) So then I read on here about using castor oil to thicken eyebrows/eyelashes. So I started rubbing some on my eyebrows every night or at least every other night, and my eyebrows have grown in thicker, and darker! I sort of massage it well into my eyebrows and leave it on overnight. It really works for me, so I suggest you try it yourself. Its safe too!

If you get hair dye in your eye, you aren't going to go blind - unless you get an extreme amount in, leave it there and then end up developing a severe secondary infection. The peroxide developer is going to give you a chemical burn on your cornea, this actually happens frequently with lash tinting. The reaction is stinging and red, watery eyes. Most people think they are having an allergic reaction, they don't realize they have a chemical burn. The majority of people are fine. The few that are unlucky need some steroid/antibiotic drops. The EXTREMELY rare end up with a scar and their sight is disturbed in that specific spot. Actually going blind - there's one reported case that I know of and it was with a product that's illegal to import because it's highly toxic.

The vast majority of people who dye their eyebrows would be at risk for getting a small drop in their eye, normal shampoo or soap will cause as much irritation.

I'd be more worried about an allergic reaction. Before you put hair dye on your head or brows it's best to do an allergy test.