PDA

View Full Version : How to *wear away* my brush?

AngryVikingGirl
April 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hello!
I'd like to ask for your ideas. The situation is:
I borrowed my cousin's brush one day and it felt extremely nice to brush my hair with. I asked her if she remembered where she had got it, and she did. So I have one now. The only problem is, mine has these coloured pointy tips on the teeth. That makes a big difference. They stick into my hair. I noticed that hers has pointy tips as well, but they're smaller and not coloured. I also saw another one of the exact same model at DBF's family's house. About half of the tips were gone, the rest were still coloured. They perfectly matched the teeth on my cousin's and on my brush. So I think I should wear away my brush to make it perfect.

I have tried to scratch this rubbery pink stuff off of one of the tips, but it's tough. It would take some serious ripping through the hair to make them peel. So, I've got two ideas.
a, rub the brush against a piece of sandpaper
b, make some kind of a tassel of strings and go on a *hundred strokes a day* challenge with all my anger, haha

What do you think? :D Do you have any other ideas? For the b method, what string do you think I should use? Thanks in advance.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3870&d=1366392877

Vrindi
April 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hmm. I used a brush like that for years. I thought it was great. It was easy to style with. It turns out all those little knobs and the tiny seams on the bristles were actually ripping out my hair. I have mine thrown in the back of the linen closet, and it's about to go in the trash. Also, as those little nubs wear down, they can also get sharp edges and tear through hair. My advice would be to find another brush. The goodness of this one for me (looks like the exact same brush) was only short-term. I didn't believe the Tangle Teezer hype, but I tried it and now I swear by it. Far, far fewer splits, no more broken hairs.

Vrindi
April 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
If you like the cushion part, I have a bamboo pin cushion brush that I love too. Same cushion style, bigger pins that have no seams and don't rip hair.

AngryVikingGirl
April 19th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Aha, well, when I brush my hair in a calm mood, it doesn't pull a lot of hairs out, I mean 10 maybe, but once I only had two! And I don't let myself brush when nervous. The "worn" version feels a lot different. Yeah, I know I should get a TT and it would solve the problem. Only thing that I'm saving right now and as it isn't available in stores, I have to order from online, which takes extra payment for shipping. Yeah, I know, excuses...

jeanniet
April 19th, 2013, 12:39 PM
If there are seams on the bristles, they won't necessarily rip hair out, but they're abrading your strands. Think of it as pulling something rough all along your hair shaft--that's exactly what those seams do. If you have a good comb, I'd just use that instead.

AngryVikingGirl
April 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Well, I'm not sure I have something that fits in the term 'good comb' unfortunately, they're just the same seamy things. The truth is, I'm thinking of buying a TT, I was just hoping to find a cheaper solution for the moment.

jeanniet
April 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
You can use very fine sandpaper to sand any seams on your comb. Unfortunately, that's much more difficult with brushes! That could get you by until you can get a TT.

AngryVikingGirl
April 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
:roll: Oh well. I'll look into sanding a comb. Then get a TT. Thanks for your advices!

starlamelissa
April 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about potential brush damage. Use it gently on dry hair, you'll be fine.

heidi w.
April 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Just buy a brand new brush if you want to brush. I would personally use a daily comb for detangling, and it took me a bit to make the crossover, but I made it. Only BBB. That's the only kind of brushing to do. If you want to buy a comb, buy a wide-toothed comb from Madora. here's a link: http://www.madoralonghairheaven.com/madoraprod1.html
Comb #16, white comb....it's the best for detangling hair. I use one daily and carry another in my purse. Spend the money on useful tools and don't sand your old brush to make it useful. It likely won't work out well.
heidi w.

jacqueline101
April 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I used to love my paddle coushin brush I had problems with the ball tips coming off in my hair. I gave up on using one.

goldloli
April 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about potential brush damage. Use it gently on dry hair, you'll be fine.
this.

You could try rubbing the tips on a towel? Or maybe if its a cheapy brush then you could try yanking them right off? I've had brushes in the past where those lil blobs came off from like nothing. Do they peel off? or are they part of the bristles? like molded?

I love my brush. I used a bbb instead of a paddle brush now. I detangle and style with brushes... Really should invest in a tangle teaser to see the hype but i dont really get any damage from brushing so I can never justify the £10 plus delivery.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2013, 09:54 PM
You might like a wooden pin brush. Earth Therapeutics makes a nice one. It's just like that kind of pin brush, but no lumps on the bristles or seams to catch your hair.

ravenreed
April 19th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Tangle Teezers are less damaging for me than BBB's or wide tooth combs.

Nellon
April 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM
ask your cousin to swap with you! ;)

Bagginslover
April 20th, 2013, 02:11 AM
If you *must* brush (like me, combing doesn't make my hair quite the same somehow), and don't want to pay shipping for a TT, try looking for a Denman brush instead. Their action has been favourably compared to a TT by people here who have used both, they dissasemble for easy cleaning, and appear (at least to my eyes) to be seam free. I have a full size one at home, and a smaller version in my bag all the time. I'd never buy another brand now, and combing isn't for everyone.

faellen
April 20th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I love my brush. I used a bbb instead of a paddle brush now. I detangle and style with brushes... Really should invest in a tangle teaser to see the hype but i dont really get any damage from brushing so I can never justify the £10 plus delivery.

The black one is on Amazon for £7.15 with free delivery at the moment :)

Edit: sorry I assumed you were in the UK with your use of the £ sign, forgive me if I'm wrong!

goldloli
April 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM
The black one is on Amazon for £7.15 with free delivery at the moment :)

Edit: sorry I assumed you were in the UK with your use of the £ sign, forgive me if I'm wrong!

Oh snap, really? :O yes i see it! The pink one is in the sale too, it's a bit vibrant though. Well I think i'll finally be getting a tt now ty!

Also I think the wooden pin brush is a lovely idea, i see many without the blobs around, but then you'd have paid for 2 brushes which would probably be the cost of a tt. Perhaps see if she will switch or keep working at pulling/filing off the blobs on your current one.

I have a bb brush that has plastic longer bits in it (the 'not good for your hair kind') I must admit I love the feel of it on my scalp and it goes through my hair like butter.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
You don't "wear away" a brush. It's just not possible. So do yourself a favor and buy, spend the money, it's worth it, spend it on what you really want. A good BBB and a good comb. That's all you'll ever need.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Ravenreed, You're probably not BBBing properly. Ask us how.
heidi w.

AngryVikingGirl
April 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM
So, as I said, the tips don't peel easily. At all. I can't remove them with my nails or knives.

No, I won't swap with my cousin. That would be mean. Also, I've already told her the difference. :p And she has wonderful hair, I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Brushing is better for me. BBB is not for me. Even if you tell me how to use it. Let me inform you, Heidi, you're on my i. list now, so don't bother helping me anymore.

I know that this brush is not that good compared to a TT, but it can be pretty good with some modification. I do care about it, because I don't have that much hair, I'm ii, and in January I had to get a trim back to waist, because my ends were thin. I did't do any chemical damage to it, the mechanical thing was enough. It's OK till waist, to get to hip, I need to be more gentle.

woolyleprechaun
April 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't bother, to be honest. Any attempt I have ever made to modify a brush or comb has never gone well in the long run. I would (like others) reccomend a tangle teezer, detangling comb of good quality and a good BBB. Thats all I use, and I'm happy :) (whats an 'i' list? Am I being thick?)

lapushka
April 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I'd get another brush, like the Tangle Teezer for instance, no bristle balls at the end and easy to brush with (no painful scalp, no pulling, either)!

goldloli
April 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Okay then back to your first suggestion of sandpaper, i suggest pinching each little ball with the sandpaper and twisting around the blob, then when all the bristles are done, using a finer grade sandpaper/nail buffer to make sure there no rough bits that will catch on your hair. godspeed and good luck :o

AngryVikingGirl
April 20th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'd get another brush, like the Tangle Teezer for instance, no bristle balls at the end and easy to brush with (no painful scalp, no pulling, either)!

Okay then back to your first suggestion of sandpaper, i suggest pinching each little ball with the sandpaper and twisting around the blob, then when all the bristles are done, using a finer grade sandpaper/nail buffer to make sure there no rough bits that will catch on your hair. godspeed and good luck :o

OK, you've persuaded me to buy a TT! Goldloli, that sounds laborous! :D

woolyleprechaun,
the one that hides one's posts, old story

AngryVikingGirl
April 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM
oh great, double post

ravenreed
April 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I have been using them since I was a small child. All they do for me is make even clean hair look stringy and oily. I find the TT works much better. Thanks though.

Ravenreed, You're probably not BBBing properly. Ask us how.
heidi w.

young&reckless
April 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
You know a RT is like $9. Maybe $12 with shipping :-)

goldloli
April 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM
wooo TT for everybody!

woolyleprechaun
April 21st, 2013, 01:57 AM
OK, you've persuaded me to buy a TT! Goldloli, that sounds laborous! :D

woolyleprechaun,
the one that hides one's posts, old story
Yay for the Tangle Teezer! Seriously, its well worth it. I resisted for a very long time, only to try one and end up buying a few- and I'm tight :P

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
I have thought of BBBing again myself. Glutton for punishment I guess, because of the slick to my head roots and crackly static length when Ive tried. LOL

embee
April 21st, 2013, 09:25 AM
I don't think you can wear them away. I bought a cheap brush with the little balls on it, and cut them off. It will now scratch the skin off my head. :( :( Not good.

So I bought a Denman brush. *LOVE* it. :)

http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Classic_Styling.html

cathair
April 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
When I was small I used to be be able to chew the balls of the end of bristles on brushes like that. I don't think I could now it would hurt! But you may be able to crack the balls on the bristles with pilers. It would probably be easier than trying to pull them off. Although I wouldn't want to use a brush like that now, I've been using wooden combs.

ravenreed
April 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah, they have always puzzled me. I know they are supposed to distribute the hair oils, but all the ever did for me was make my hair look greasy. When I was young, my grandmother went by the hundred strokes idea. Not even brushing that much did anything to distribute the hair oils enough to make my scalp stop looking flat and lank...

I have thought of BBBing again myself. Glutton for punishment I guess, because of the slick to my head roots and crackly static length when Ive tried. LOL

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
damnit ravenreed why arent we friends? I wanna "like" most of your posts.

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM
embee- The denman brush is GREAT. I have the classic 9 row. I luv it. My old avatar was of my nine row denman, and my wet look shower comb. Two tools I just cant live without!

Sylvestrix
April 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM
Jumping on board here to recommend a Denman. I have the 7 row and the 9 row, and I can't imagine going back to another brush. I know combs are better for my hair, but I'm just not ready to separate from the lovely feeling of a brush, so until then, I'm sticking with my Denmans!

faellen
April 21st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Oh snap, really? :O yes i see it! The pink one is in the sale too, it's a bit vibrant though. Well I think i'll finally be getting a tt now ty!

Woohoo!!! :cheer:

Haha, I have much love for the TT. Though I do own a BBB as well, which I use only for distributing a tiny amount of coconut or argan oil through my lengths when my hair needs a bit of shine and polish :) (heidi actually posted a good method for this on Youtube a while back). I don't use it for detangling.

AngryVikingGirl
May 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
OK, I've bought a TT. A Compact one. Surprisingly small, but that's OK. However, is it normal to feel the tips scratchy on my scalp?

embee
May 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "scratchy" - but it can feel like scritching. And it does get all the way to the scalp, which is the part I really like. :) It should not hurt but should increase blood flow to the scalp.

orangeskye
May 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this.. but what about offering your new brush to your friend and asking if you can have hers? If she's not a hair freak she'll maybe be excited for the new brush.. :D

Bagginslover
May 11th, 2013, 02:25 AM
It will feel different to the bobble ended brush on your scalp, but as long as you are gentle, you won't hurt yourself :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
OK, I've bought a TT. A Compact one. Surprisingly small, but that's OK. However, is it normal to feel the tips scratchy on my scalp?

Yeah, this is what I don't get. You hardly feel the brush.