PDA

View Full Version : Thinning hair guidance

ljkforu
August 28th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I have already lost 2/3s of my very thick hair. I take Citalopram, have had high blood pressure, and use Rogaine to at least add some fuzz. My hair is to my hips. I am going on a trip to see someone I haven't seen in 25 years and am trying to figure out how to best cover this problem up. Please help! The main thinning is a peach sized pattern balding/thinning area on the top of my head.

Shanarana
August 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Have you seen a doctor? That may be a place to start. It also may be in your genes?

I would check with a doctor first to rule out anything else that may be going on.

sipnsun
August 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
If you want a quick, temporary solution to your problem I would suggest clip in hair extentions. They are easy to put in yourself, and really add thickness and volume to hair. Also, if I put them in and take them out very carefully, I don't loose one single hair. I bought mine at Utla Beauty Supply. I just love them!

I also agree with Shanarana though, you should see your doc and see if the hairloss is a result of one of your meds. If it is, maybe he/she can prescribe something else that would be a little kinder to your hair. Good luck!:)

sibylla
August 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
It really sounds like a thyroid problem to me. Go to your doctor and have a blood test to see is you have thyroid problem. Many people here who´ve had thinning hair has infact had this problem which is easily solved by medication. I can recommend scalp massages 20min/day and cold water rinses.Hope this helps!

ljkforu
August 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Sorry, I should have let everyone know that I have seen several doctors. I have MS and diabetes, oops, and High blood pressure. The doctors said genetic brought to a head by the high blood pressure. All my medical problems are addressed and under control.

Thanks for all the help.

ljkforu
September 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
What does anyone think would happen if I used Monistat?

ljkforu
October 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
Monistat may be having a huge effect. Does anyone know why??

minkstole
October 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Diabetes may be a factor. Especially if fat is stored in the belly-area.

Melisande
October 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Read the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat), there are many possible explanations and so much information.

longhairenvy
October 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
A really good multivitamin cannot be overrated! You would, of course, still want to check with your physician before taking one but there are several specific to hair/nail growth and they DO help. My hair was cut above my ears June 2007, short all over, NO inches to measure, and now it's at 14 inches, including several trims in between. So, I would say I am getting about an inch a month growth.

Multivitamin......strong, healthy hair from the INSIDE; and lots of water. This whole putting monistat on your scalp doesn't seem wise; I'm a nurse and I sure as heck wouldn't do it.

That's my little opinion.
Thanks guys
Cat

ChloeDharma
October 2nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
How are your blood sugar levels? I had severe DKA last year which came after a reasonably long period of very badly controlled blood sugars and though the stress on my body from the DKA caused telogen effluvium i lost alot of hair leading up to it from the high blood sugar levels.
I agree with the scalp stimulation idea and i'd add anti-inflamatory oils like lavender EO to a scalp mix because inflammation of the follicles tends to be a problem often with hairloss in general but especially where a condition like diabetes is involved. Aloe vera might be an idea to use on the scalp too.
Longhairenvy makes a very important point about nutrients and a good quality multivitamin can really help, only of course in conjunction with a good diet as a foundation.
I also agree with her caution on using monistat, i can't back it up at all but i do have reservations about possible future problems that could come from using it like maybe yeasts becoming resistant to it and it interfering with the scalps ecology.

laurachiplock
October 2nd, 2008, 07:01 AM
My hair was thinning, & shedding like crazy so I went to the Dr, -had no unusal thyroid tests. They told me basically, "you are stressed out. have a nice day."

I started taking Vitamins & Supplements & it HAS helped. Thank god.

I agree, it needs to come from the inside out. I did use Monistat maybe 2-3x a week for a month & I feel as long as you do not overuse it or use it for an extended period of time it should be okay. I mean, (IMO), if its okay to put inside my vagina, its ok to go on my scalp. But , thats just me.

Also, scalp massage with oils has helped tremdously. Good luck, I hope you find something that helps.

ljkforu
October 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
A really good multivitamin cannot be overrated! You would, of course, still want to check with your physician before taking one but there are several specific to hair/nail growth and they DO help. My hair was cut above my ears June 2007, short all over, NO inches to measure, and now it's at 14 inches, including several trims in between. So, I would say I am getting about an inch a month growth.

Multivitamin......strong, healthy hair from the INSIDE; and lots of water. This whole putting monistat on your scalp doesn't seem wise; I'm a nurse and I sure as heck wouldn't do it.

That's my little opinion.
Thanks guys
Cat
Thanks for the info. guys and yes I am a diabetic with high blood pressure that takes anti-depressants has MS and Poly cystic ovary disease. Since I respond to rogaine the docs think that it is genetic.

ljkforu
October 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
My hair was thinning, & shedding like crazy so I went to the Dr, -had no unusal thyroid tests. They told me basically, "you are stressed out. have a nice day."

I started taking Vitamins & Supplements & it HAS helped. Thank god.

I agree, it needs to come from the inside out. I did use Monistat maybe 2-3x a week for a month & I feel as long as you do not overuse it or use it for an extended period of time it should be okay. I mean, (IMO), if its okay to put inside my vagina, its ok to go on my scalp. But , thats just me.

Also, scalp massage with oils has helped tremdously. Good luck, I hope you find something that helps.
I agree about not over doing it but it is also making my head less itchy and curing the funky smell behind my ears. Being a diabetic that is having control problems, I'm have yeast problems too. I am taking care of my self -- good low carb food, variety, water, vitamins, Metformin, Actos and Glipizide. And, I have the guidance of a good doctor, so I'm doing my best. I never eat anything sweet. :) and I've lost 20 lbs since August (Hurray!)

laurachiplock
October 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
You mentioned you have yeast problems- have you ever tried a Candida cleanse or a supplement for Yeast management? I am taking "Candida Yeast Management" from http://www.vitacost.com
At first, I had the WORST headaches, but I think I got through the die-off stage & am feeling much better. Maybe you can investigate that.

I also have Polycystic ovaries, ----of course, hormones rule the world so I am sure this also affects our hair.
Metformin is supposed to be great for weight loss for diabetics. there are also Natural supplements to help you keep an even glucose level (I think its chromium).

It sounds like you are doing the right things, I hope you take good care.

Rain76
October 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
If you want a quick, temporary solution to your problem I would suggest clip in hair extentions. They are easy to put in yourself, and really add thickness and volume to hair. Also, if I put them in and take them out very carefully, I don't loose one single hair. I bought mine at Utla Beauty Supply. I just love them!

I also agree with Shanarana though, you should see your doc and see if the hairloss is a result of one of your meds. If it is, maybe he/she can prescribe something else that would be a little kinder to your hair. Good luck!:)

Hi, sipnsun-You are the 1st 1a/F that I have found on here (besides myself)! Yay! Anyway, that is a good idea about the hair extensions.