PDA

View Full Version : Crazy unusual shed!

kittymallow
April 18th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have never been a shedder, and i might normally loose under 20 strands of hair a day, so if I actually start to shed more than that, it freaks me out. WELL, last friday i noticed that there where alot more strands of hair in the bathroom sink than it normally is, and when i came out of the shower there were also alot more hairs in the drain. I did not think much of it until i ran my hands through my hair and they where FULL of hair! It has been like this for almost a week, and mostly when my hair is wet so I try not to wash it to much ( I need to look presentable since i am a hairdresser). Two days ago i bought the nioxin hair loss kit, and i pray it will work. It feels pretty bad to be a hairdresser and not be able to solve a hair related problem. The only thing i can think of that can be the reason to my shed is that i had a 6 month treatment on Roaccutane (accutane?) to treat my acne. It was a heavy duty treatment and my hair became dry, and my scalp became really sensitive, but after a while i did not notice it anymore. I just need to share this without any reasons because i am so frustrated.

What is helpfull to you to combat shedding/hairloss?
Thank you for your time <3

Naiadryade
April 19th, 2013, 01:39 AM
I don't think I can offer a lot of help, but I noticed that this had gotten to the 2nd page with 0 replies, so I'm bumping.

I know many people experience seasonal sheds, so is it possible that's all it is?

Castor oil on my scalp every other night or so had reduced my amount of shedding, but I haven't experienced big sheds like you're describing before.

Hopefully someone more helpful than me will come along soon! Good luck! :flower:

KittyBird
April 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM
It could be seasonal, or it could be the Accutane. It's a very strong medication, so I think it could be the cause. I honestly can't remember if I suffered from increased shedding during my 6 months on Accutane, but I've read that it's a common side-effect. I did a quick google search and found this page http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Hair-Loss-While-on-Accutane . Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it if the shedding doesn't stop?

Arkangel
April 19th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I too am going through a shed right now...I'm really hoping its just seasonal. Never noticed it in the past but now that its tailbone length it freaks me out. I did notice though that what I was assuming to be twice the hair in my brush and comb was actually hair that was curled back on itself so maybe its not as bad a I thought...

jeanniet
April 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
At this time of year, I would assume it's seasonal unless it continues. My seasonal sheds don't last longer than a month. It could be the accutane, but I know quite a few people who've taken it (including both my sons, and my niece is on it now), and none have had an obvious hair loss. Generally side effects with accutane happen when you're actually on the medication. So don't panic yet; just see if it starts to slow down.

jacqueline101
April 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I was going to say it could be a seasonal shed. If its not maybe some lab work is in order. I noticed what time I wore a simple English braid my hair didn't shed as much. You might try switching your hair style.

leslissocool
April 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
At this time of year, I would assume it's seasonal unless it continues. My seasonal sheds don't last longer than a month. It could be the accutane, but I know quite a few people who've taken it (including both my sons, and my niece is on it now), and none have had an obvious hair loss. Generally side effects with accutane happen when you're actually on the medication. So don't panic yet; just see if it starts to slow down.

Yes, just keep and eye on it. It could be accutane, it could be not.

rainfortheend
April 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM
i definitely think it's the accutane. the same thing happened to me three months into my course. i've posted a blog about some things that have helped me. good luck!

jeanniet
April 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM
i definitely think it's the accutane. the same thing happened to me three months into my course. i've posted a blog about some things that have helped me. good luck!

She's not on the accutane now, though, which is why I thought it less likely to be the cause. I would think shedding would've started while on it. Did you continue to shed after your course of treatment was ended?

OP, how long has it been since your last month of accutane? Did they do a full blood panel before, or just the liver panel? Have you counted the hairs you're shedding now? Less than 20 is actually a pretty low amount, so unless your hair is very thin I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I have thick hair and I shed way more than that all the time, but when I have seasonal sheds it can be double normal.

Nellon
April 19th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Maybe go talk to the doctor who gave you accutane and ask if this is something that can happen? Or if it continues, go see a doctor about it? In the meanwhile, try not to panic. Being a hairdresser you still can get things happening to your body and hair. Be kind to yourself.

PetuniaBlossom
April 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM
I second the recommendation about using castor oil on your scalp. It greatly helped me after a disastrous flirtation with Conditioner Only washing caused an unprecedented hairfall that freaked me out.
Good luck.

TiffanieJean
April 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Acutane is probably the cause. Have you switched products recently? I had a horrible shedding episode with Rosemary Oil… 100’s of hairs at once. You might have had a reaction to something. After I had my son, I went through some crazy shedding. You could literally see my scalp at the top of my head. Nioxin helped a lot. It might make you shed a bit more at first, but that is the hair that was going to fall out regardless. Within a month or 2 you should see a lot of regrowth. It happened all at once for me. Growing it out was a pain, but compared to the alternative I wasn’t going to complain. Nioxin is a DHT blocker, so if the Acutane or stress is causing higher levels of testosterone, Nioxin will fix the issue. Do you have jaw line acne? If so, that is also a sign of higher levels of testosterone in women (very common). It might be why you shed a lot in general. Oh, and as some of the other replies have said, Castor Oil is great too.