PDA

View Full Version : About to try catnip for the first time but...

Kherome
April 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I'm always nervous about something new. Are there any "do or do not do" type things I should know? Anything that makes it better/worse etc? Thanks!

ravenheather
April 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Cat nip is great. I steep it until cool. I shampoo and leave it on under a cap for 1/2 to 1 hour. Then rinse. Give it a try.

lunalocks
April 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I steep overnight and strain before using. I have been using a find strainer but need to get some coffee filters to put inside the strainer as there still are tiny particles that filter through. I dunk my conditioned hair in it - the length - for about a minute, then wrap in a towel to get most moisture out and air dry. Hair is smoother. I do have less wave. I also have less splits.

goldloli
April 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Ktani advised to use it as conditioner or between poo and dish, apparently not after because the waxy coating of conditioner interfere with it. Except a few people here use it after conditioner. I saw posts of people saying longer steeping times resulted in tangling.

I got hairfall from every time i used it (didn't realize just how badly till my regrowth came through), I seem to be the only one here who has so I don't know if its a major thing to look out for. Actually it's so uncommon that whenever i mention it i imagine people think i'm too derp to see it was caused by something else, when no it was caused by the catnip. I can't tolerate any kind of oils on my scalp so perhaps its related to that. I still successfully use it from ears down, it's great stuff.

goldloli
April 18th, 2013, 11:04 AM
also your hair is very beautiful

Kherome
April 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thank you Goldloli. I plan to keep it off my scalp, hair only ;)

spirals
April 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
My scalp hates it , so I made it part of my spray gel. It stays in my hair. I have a bit more shine than with flax alone. I find that with those two ingredients in my routine, I do need to clarify every third or fourth wash.

Naiadryade
April 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I use catnip tea once a week--sometimes as a treatment in the method recommended by ktani (steeped 4.5 hours. Shampoo-catnip for an hour-rinse-condition), and sometimes as a leave-in/final rinse after S&C if I don't have time for the hour-long treatment. I also have it as one of the ingredients in my mister bottle.

When I first started using it, I was just using it as a treatment, but one time I fell asleep before rinsing it out. In the morning my hair felt weird and coated, soft but almost greasy. Rinsing it out fixed it easily. I'm not sure why it doesn't do that when I use it as a leave-in these days, but it doesn't--it's just soft and shiny. Perhaps my hair has gotten used to it. :shrug: Just something to keep in mind if it happens to you!

Another thing: the split-end-prevention takes time to really take effect. Don't expect to use it once and see no more splits. But after using it weekly (ok, occasionally I miss a week) for months, I do definitely think it has helped to reduce how fast and easily my hairs split. So have patience and stick with it! Make it a regular part of your routine.

ETA: I do put it on my scalp, to no ill effect. My scalp seems to like it, and I've read other folks describe it as soothing to their scalps. So certainly try putting it on your scalp and see how it goes--find out whether you're someone whose scalp hates it or likes it.

Good luck!

meteor
April 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I'll be watching this thread with interest!
How exactly does catnip prevent split ends and strengthen hair strands? Does it just coat them like any tea rinse? Or is it about something else?
I didn't like any tea rinses I tried because I felt like they just coated my hair - so I'm not sure yet if I will be trying catnip...

Kherome
April 18th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Meteor, go here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&page=258&p=2427471#post2427471

ravenreed
April 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I use catnip after every cleansing. I usually CO, follow with an ACV rinse, and then use the catnip as a leave in. The best results I have are from pouring a couple of tablespoons in a mason jar, filling it to the top with water, and cooking for three minutes. I let it steep overnight, and then strain through a coffee filter. It has done amazing things both for my split ends and for reducing the tangles. I do get occasional build up, which may possibly be from the catnip but is more likely from my conditioner. Anyway, I shampoo with an SLS shampoo every couple of months, so clearly it isn't a big problem. GL!

ravenreed
April 18th, 2013, 07:31 PM
All I know is there is a huge difference between when I use catnip regularly and when I forget. The first time I ran out and stopped using it, my hair went back to being split end prone.

I'll be watching this thread with interest!
How exactly does catnip prevent split ends and strengthen hair strands? Does it just coat them like any tea rinse? Or is it about something else?
I didn't like any tea rinses I tried because I felt like they just coated my hair - so I'm not sure yet if I will be trying catnip...

goldloli
April 18th, 2013, 07:44 PM
The only time i ever got a weird coated feeling is when i applied conditioner while the catnip was still in my hair, the 2 things kinda mingled together for not so great results after rinsing out.

You should def try catnip on scalp at least once, just like scalp oiling, it's so beneficial for many that its always worth a try.

I actually notice a difference in split end protection and shine from first use, it takes a couple uses for the slip benefits and after about 5 applications it builds up so i clarify and go a wash or 2 without. Gosh i reallllly love catnip, gotta be my fave non commercial hair thing.

Kherome
April 19th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Well I gave it a go today. Yesterday I used two mugs to make about 2 cups of catnip. I put approx 1 tsp of catnip in each mug and them poured the boiled water over it. I let it steep about 30 minutes then I strained it off. I refrigerated it overnight til my shower today. I used my favorite chelating shampoo first, then I stuck my ends in the glass bowl I had the catnip tea in. I guess I left it in there for 5-7 minutes. Then I rinsed and conditioned as normal. Right now it's still wet so I know nothing of the results. I'll let you know when it's dry if I can tell a difference.