PDA

View Full Version : Elastic hair?

mashy
April 18th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I'm in the process of going from black to blonde and after my most recent bleaching I have noticed that my hair has gone somewhat more elastic than usual, not as bad as when I completely wrecked my hair with bleach in my teens, but still noticeble.

Does anyone know how to go about fixing this (providing it is fixable)? Would protein treatments help?

Audhumla
April 18th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Yes. Try incorporating more protein into your routine and maybe using a small amount of coconut oil after washing as it supposedly enhances the effects of protein on reducing this kind of elasticity and I believe is also often recommended to people who bleach.
Good luck :)

Fethenwen
April 18th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I also had this, I got it from using shampoo bars only a few times. When hair starts to become too elastic, that is stretching way too much than usual, then it might be loosing it's strength.
I second protein treatments.

I myself got back my normal hair elasticity from using a full application of henna, but protein treatments should also have the same effect.

mashy
April 18th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, does you know of any good protein treatments? Any brands etc...? or what I should look for?

CastaDiva
April 18th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor is a very good protein treatment. Remember to use a moisturizing treatment after the use of a protein mask. Joico k-pak intense hydrator treatment is a good one.

Anje
April 18th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Overly stretchy hair definitely means you need protein. Treat it a while before you do any more chemical treatments, but be aware that you may have already hit your limit, depending on how well you tolerate damaged hair.

I've also heard good things about the Joico K-PAK line. Others swear by the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment; it's heavy-duty stuff that's saved some seriously harmed hair. Furthermore, make sure your usual conditioner is of the damaged/strengthening/reconstructing variety -- those contain protein and will help day-to-day with strengthening. Finally, I suggest making sure that you have at least some protein-free conditioner around in case you manage to push the balance the other way and end up with dry, brittle, snappy hair -- the treatment for that is pure moisture. (For protein-free, avoid things with amino acids, X protein, X protein isolates, collagen, or keratin in the ingredients list.)

Be aware that protein treatments typically leave hair feeling dried out and tangly. For that reason, the usual recommendation is to follow them up immediately with a moisturizing treatment, as soon as you rinse the protein out.

Kaelee
April 18th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Protein treatment definitely. If it's not too bad, you might do OK with a protein heavy shampoo/conditioner as well.

HadessThera
April 18th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I second Joico K-Pak, that stuff did wonders for me and I've also used Protein Feed which is a cheaper option though not as strong, I'd also recommend avoiding moisture treatments on their own (as in if you do use them, use them in conjunction with protein treatments like Anje says) for the moment as I found that although it can feel good temporarily it actually worsens the elastic situation, good luck and hth

earthnut
April 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM
GVP Hair Reconstructor from Sally's is the generic version of Joico K-Pak. Works great and is a lot cheaper.

Nature's Gate conditioners are high in protein and can be used as protein treatments. Also, Gelatin dissolved in boiling water is a very potent, extremely cheap protein treatment.

akilina
April 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor is a very good protein treatment. Remember to use a moisturizing treatment after the use of a protein mask. Joico k-pak intense hydrator treatment is a good one.

I was going to come along and say THIS.

I recently did my hair into basically..purple ombre. I did push it very far and ended up with a lot of damage. This stuff is truly a miracle. Almost two weeks later my hair is feeling really great. At least 75% better.
Luckily for me though, I am licensed/ can go to cosmoprof. They have a deal right now of Joico Duos, so this one came with the deep penetrating reconstructor, and also the intense hydrator. Its working miracles.

If you go this route though, keep in mind that the intense hydrator is SUPER SUPER packed with protein as well. I use the two, but also a different product that is moisturizing after them.

Naiadryade
April 19th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I just want to add that a cheap, simple and natural protein treatment is a tablespoon of low-sodium soy or liquid aminos in a cup of water. Good luck!

jacqueline101
April 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I was going to suggest a protein treatment or the cholesterol treatment I like is lustrasilk. It's a Dollar General item it's great. It's mango scented.

catasa
April 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I second the Joico k-pak and moisture pack as well (though I did think it a little strange that they pack a moisture treatment at least partly intended for use after a protein treatment chock full of protein?). Anyway, I have used them both with good results. I do think that at least the Joico moisture treatment (intense hydrator?) does contain cones though.

posierose
April 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I'm using the Joico K pak reconstructor as i'm suffering from gummy hair as well after having healthy henna'd hair for a couple of years. I just really wanted my natural blonde hair back. I'm sure you guys are aware of how my hair might be doing now. Not too well.
Joico did help a bit. I've used it 3 times now since I dont wash my hair that often so I hope to see more results later on.
I just soaked my hair with a 40:60 Olive Oil, Coconut Oil mixture and plan to leave it on for at least 2 days.
What do ya'll think? Good idea or will it make my hair stretchier?