PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Vinegar Smell??????

kittengirl
April 16th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I rinsed my hair with vinegar (organic apple cider) several times, and it gave my hair wonderful results, but my husband is very bothered by the smell and it was getting a bit strong even for me so I stopped using it. Problem is, I have washed my hair about 3 times since then over a week and a half and whenever my hair is wet it still smells like vinegar. Now, I soak my hair and scalp in Triple Moon Oil prior to washing, and use Winter Panacea when it's damp. Both of these have a strong scent. (I should mention that I also wash with a mint shampoo and conditioner) yet the vinegar remains. Will it go away in time given enough washings? Is there anything I can do? I feel like this is a silly problem, but it is a bit annoying! :mad:

anitacs9101
April 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Wow, really? It's still there? Do you shampoo your length? Maybe try clarifying?

kittengirl
April 16th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Wow, really? It's still there? Do you shampoo your length? Maybe try clarifying?

I have been shampooing my length due to this, and the oil. I'm not certain about clarifying. I'm cone free and my shampoo is all natural and organic so I worry a bit that clarifying might be too harsh. I've been having issues with dry scalp and the oil is finally starting to fix that. I guess I should be happy it doesn't smell when dry?? :confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 16th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Do you dilute your vinegar in water to rinse with?

MaryO
April 16th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Oh dear! I also recently rinsed with ACV but only had a very faint smell. I used about 2 liters of filtered water with a 'plop' (scientific measurement term! :-P) and the smell definitely goes away after the next wash! I would think that all your other strong smelling products would cover the smell- if that doesn't work I have no idea what might?!

jacqueline101
April 16th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I used to rinse with vinegar and the smell went away when I rinsed my hair it dried.

marykatz
April 16th, 2013, 05:44 AM
What about putting a little bit of baking soda paste in your hair? the baking soda will react with the vinegar and get rid of it. If you actually do still have vinegar in your hair, it will bubble up from the baking soda.

imaroo
April 16th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I had the same problem when I did an ACV rinse. I washed my hair with every super-perfumed shampoo and conditioner I owned, but it took about a week for the smell to finally dissipate. The benefits it gave me were definitely not worth the smell lingering.

I also used the scientific "plop" of vinegar in a large bottle of water. So, not much.

jeanniet
April 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Use citric acid instead. My kids complained about the smell when I used ACV, and since CA is a chelator, it works better with my well water anyway.

kittengirl
April 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Do you dilute your vinegar in water to rinse with?

Yes, I diluted it quite well.

kittengirl
April 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Based on what everyone has said, I think my problem might have been that I used too much vinegar. The recipe I found online said 1/2 c. vinegar in 2 c. water. So, maybe too much? Especially since I did it several times. The baking soda is a good idea. I suppose it won't stay forever right?! :p

BambooBeauty
April 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I have a mason jar i fill to the top with orange peels then i pour the vinegar on top so the jar is full then i left it for about a week to 'brew' I just take my vinegar out of there a add a bit to the mason jar to top it up each time. Then after about a month i change the peels. The oranges make the smell go away. My hair never has the strong sent of vinegar anymore....but I use white vinegar but I think it would still work with acv. I think in the summer I'm going to use lemon peels to lighten my hair.

Macaroni
April 16th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I use two tablespoons in two cups of warm water and rinse it out before conditioning, and my hair smells of conditioner.

LadyLongLocks
April 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's a lot of vinegar! I tried vinegar 2 times and only used 2 TBSP to a 1 liter bottle of water. Made no difference and I wont be doing it again. There was no smell after.

Vrindi
April 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Based on what everyone has said, I think my problem might have been that I used too much vinegar. The recipe I found online said 1/2 c. vinegar in 2 c. water. So, maybe too much? Especially since I did it several times. The baking soda is a good idea. I suppose it won't stay forever right?! :p

Wow, yeah that's a lot of vinegar. The smell should go away as soon as your hair is dry, and it should be really light before that. I think I followed the recipe you found the first time I tried this, and the same thing happened with the smell. I put maybe a tablespoon in a spray bottle full of distilled water now, and there's no problem with the smell. I also don't rinse it out, I use it as my rinse, and still no harsh smell.

marykatz
April 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
WOW!! :eek: That was a lot of vinegar! I put one or two capfuls in two cups of water and it is pretty strong. Sometimes I smell it when I sweat but I don't think other people notice it.

jeanniet
April 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
That's a ton of vinegar! Don't use more than a couple of tablespoons and see how that works. I wouldn't try the baking soda idea because you're causing a chemical reaction that could potentially be damaging to your hair and/or scalp.

earthnut
April 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
The smell of ACV lingered in my hair a long time too, which is why I use white vinegar instead. I use a splash or two of a 10% solution of vinegar.

Time and a lot of washings will finally get rid of it. Baking soda didn't work and was harsh. I don't use more than 1 tsp baking soda on my hair because it can be really harsh. And anyway, you should always rinse with vinegar after using baking soda because hair hates to be alkaline.

Vintagecoilylocks
April 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
You can scent your vinegars by diffusing it with flowers or fruit or herbs. Takes up to two week but make it in one gallon portions and its last awhile.

Pick an herb flower or fruit that is good for your hair and skin.