PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye advice...help! Any hairdressers here?

aet2009
April 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, maybe some other forum would be better, but I need some help. In the past I dyed my hair a permanent black. I liked it for a while but then wanted to lighten up a bit so it was less harsh. My natural color is a light/medium golden brown. So I used color oops to take the dye out and it worked, it left it a brassy reddish orange.

I used a protein filler and then proceeded to use a light brown dye with a 10 vol developer as I had heard hair dye will take darker after using color oops. Well, it did and went straight back to black. I didn't want to keep using black dye nor did I want to bleach or go to the hairdresser, so I just kept dying my new growth dark brown so the contrast isn't too bad. So, I have about 6 inches of dark brown hair and the remaining 8 are black. I have been trying to research a way to get it all back to a medium-ish brown but I don't quite know which route to take.

I do have very healthy, coarse thick hair. I have no splits or breakage. I don't use heat except on my bangs. I once had a hairdresser exclaim (after using a 40 vol and bleach on me) that my hair could take anything! :cool: (the bleach was highlights and has since grown out.)

Sooo, just wondering if anyone has some hair dye knowledge and would be able to help. Getting it done professionally is not an option as I'm low on funds. If I can't find a solution I guess I will just grow it out?

Kaelee
April 15th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I can't help but I know there are several hairdressers on this forum...Akilina and Ultrabella are the two I'm thinking of who I'm sure will be along to help. If not PM them! :D

ZenaZoo
April 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
It may have turned black because it reoxidised. Did you leave if a week withnpldnty of washes in between to make duper duper sure the colour oops had come out. It's terrible stuff for doing it.

aet2009
April 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah I only left it a day...when I say it came out brassy I mean I had light brassy, dark brassy, some blonde..it was a mess. Lol

AnnaB
April 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah I only left it a day...when I say it came out brassy I mean I had light brassy, dark brassy, some blonde..it was a mess. Lol

yeah that sounds about right. Mine did the same thing, I had to apply colourB4 (UK equivalent) and my hair was like an orange rainbow, but if you dont wash out properly or dont leave long enough before re-dying it, it will go back to the original colour.

Have you considered doing it again, and then either, come up with a fun hair style that will hide the hair, or maybe use non permanent colour of some kind?

good luck though :)

SerinaDaith
April 16th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I gave up on fixing it and have been growing out my old black dye for a year now. It is down to my jaw so now updo's hide my box dye days. I have done color oops in the past with really bad results so at this point I know eventually all the black will just be trimmed out over the next several years. Not a quick fix but it is the only thing I can do at this point. I wish you luck and will probably lurk since if there is some awesome way to get my length back to natural without ages of waiting I wanna know! Thanks for starting this up!

aet2009
April 16th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Well, I think I am going to use color oops again, and wait a week or however long I can stand it to re-dye so I have a change to wash out all the built up dye. Hopefully it works! Or I could try a semi permanent dye while I wait?

I also tried the vitamin C lightening last night and it lightened like, the teeniest bit. So that may be an option too

leslissocool
April 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I'd go to a trained colorist. Lightening dyed black hair can be really damaging and really tricky.

mashy
April 18th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Did the second color Oops work? I had the same problem every time I tried Colour B4 (equivalent of Color Oops here) it reoxidised, even after leaving it for two weeks and using clarifying shampoos everytime. In my most recent attempt to get my black hair to blonde , i used a brand from the salon called elimin8 by Rusk which actually seemed to work.

Not sure if you get the Nice and Easy 8 wash colors where you are but they reccommend them here of you use a colour remover as there is no peroxide in them so the colour wont reoxidise.

Also, if your hair turns reddish, its best to use an ashy brown dye to counteract the redness.