PDA

View Full Version : styling the front of your hair

novemberfoxtrot
April 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I don't think I look good from the front when my hair is pulled back into buns. It's making me feel really down about my appearance.

My hair is wurly and so face framing or bangs are kinda out. It just won't behave like one might expect/want it to. Lace accent braids (rope or french) help but I wonder if you have other ideas. How do you accentuate your face?

I'll go look for a picture to put in my albums and come back with an edit when it's in.

Edit: ok, i put one in my album. My glasses aren't sitting right which doesn't help but oh well.

ladyleelu
April 14th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I think your hair looks pretty the way it is, and your hair part suits you. I can somewhat relate as I recently cut bangs to hide behind, but you look good! If you wanted something new, you could try long bangs... Or pin up some hair into a fake side swept bang if you don't want to commit. I also like twisting hair from my crown and pinning it with an updo (you could also do a braid). You can try pin curls, rolls, accessories, or fancy dangly earrings to brighten up the front :)

Naiadryade
April 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I don't like the way I look with pulled-back hair either. This is part of why I usually wear my hair down or in pigtail braids. If I'm going to bun it, I almost always bun it low so that the hair near my face is still running parallel to my hairline... I think I look sort of ridiculous with all my hair oriented back away from my face going to a higher bun or ponytail.

It's a lot better if I leave a few pieces from above my forehead out of the bun, though. I actually really like the way this looks. Kind of elfish and elegant. Simple and easy too, no extra time required. So that's my go-to solution.

I just threw my hair up and took a quick pic to show you what I mean. My hair is kinda greasy and limp here because it's time to wash it later today, but you get the idea. (It gets wavy below the picture frame.) It almost gives the illusion of wearing my hair down. It does mean it's in my face, which I know bothers some people, but I don't mind. If I need to, I can just tuck the pieces behind my ears at any moment.

Sometimes I'll braid the pieces or curl them (heat-free of course) to mix it up, too.

http://s20.postimg.org/v2odrdtlp/TPhoto_00005.jpg

Annibelle
April 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
PHOTO-HEAVY POST AHEAD

I have wurly hair and that's why I actually like having bangs/ face framing layers. It looks like you have a cute curl pattern on the left side of your face; I have the same sort of thing. Maybe you can work with it to create cute bangs/layers. I did this and I loooove it! My bangs are really irregular because I'm a wavy-- meaning I don't have the gorgeous uniformity of curls or straight hair-- but it gives me a messy look that I really like.

Here are some examples of what my bangs look like:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3110&d=1362846738

To do my bangs, I just... start cutting a tiny bit at a time. I change my bangs every month because they grow fast, but I usually make longer layers as it gets mixed in with the rest of my hair. Sometimes I leave the layers longer than they are in the above photo, which makes the edges of my bangs form ringlets, which I think is cute.

I sometimes pin the waves away from my face to create a more polished look:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2256&d=1360189485

And I also like to leave my bangs long enough that I could pin them back entirely or braid them to look bangs-less:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2212&d=1360016715

What you choose to do with your bangs, and the final result, will totally depend on your own curl pattern. It might take some experimentation, but if you want bangs, you should be able to figure out what works with your hair's natural pattern. I think that bangs can work for anyone, as long as they suit the face and hair pattern. Bangs and layers don't have to look like they do in magazines; mine certainly don't. I am so glad I played around with mine! I hated updos before, but when I wear them with my bangs, I feel glamorous every day. :)

novemberfoxtrot
April 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Thank you, Ladyleelu! I appreciate the compliments and I'm going to try playing with more accent braids and twists!

Naiadryade, you're right. I forgot about wearing my hair lower. I stopped doing it because my scarves this winter would mess everything up before I even got to work.

Annibelle, your bangs are perfect! I think I'm going to go in to a salon to get a professional shape-up in the near future and I'll ask what she thinks of that look on me.

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mine are triangle bangs I'm not growing them out but the pixie part I am they're just long enough to tuck behind my ears.

dulce
April 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have curly hair[waist plus] and just cut bangs and layered curly side pieces ,it softens updos.Just because you have curly hair doesn't mean it can't be done.

Fantak
April 14th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I think with the right stylist (or do it yourself if you have a good eye!) face framing layers are a good option :) you could also do a loose bun so that there is volume around the face and your hair texture shows through to frame your face.

*edit* I changed my mind I actually strongly suggest cutting the face framing layers yourself. Do it slowly like the poster above said and over a number if says. No body knows your curl pattern and what suits you as much as you do!

charalito
April 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I don't have any bangs, what I do to soften the look is either add some braids or twist and pin some parts to make small poofs and waves. It really changes everything :)

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I have side swept bangs and wavy hair. I just use a flat iron on them. I don't worry about damaging them since I trim them regularly anyway...I've had bangs for about 10 years, can't do without them!

spidermom
April 14th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I have wurly hair, too, and I had bangs/light face-framing layering done for exactly that reason: I look horrible with all my hair skinned back from my face. I will use the flat iron on my bangs if they aren't behaving. It doesn't matter; I'm keeping them, not growing them out, so any damage will be cut off.

alyaziaaah
April 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM
i feel you, same problem here. what i usually do is cut a few strands layered from chin down, see if they behave, because my wurly curly hair is unpredictable, and then go carefully shorter, in thin strands.
i looked up some updos Brigitte Bardot was doing when she was young. they look like bed head messy updos, very spicy!
i think you could try that, that would look amazing with your face. but for that you need layers in front.
if you like to risk having to iron your bangs then you could go for side swept bangs as many others already told you.

marykatz
April 14th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Bangs are a nice option if the hair on your forehead or eyes does not bother you. I don't the feeling of bangs and my forehead always breaks out.

What if you pulled it back looser so you can see some of the curls. Maybe give yourself a little height at the top, not like a Snooki poof, but just a little. A nice scarf or headband would change your look a little too.

I think you look very pretty with your hair the way it is and the side part but I can understand why you might feel like a change.

alyaziaaah
April 14th, 2013, 05:59 PM
you can go to a wig or hair extension shop and try some clip in bangs, so you can see how you look with certain hair styles,
after that you can decide much better how you want to look

spirals
April 14th, 2013, 10:54 PM
My shortest layer is at shoulder, with the exception of shorter pieces around my face. Those start at chin. Those chin-length pieces fall out of updos and frame my face, which is exactly what I want. I like to pretend it's not intentional, and I'm naturally Bardot-like. Depending on what my hair's doing that day, I get spirals or swoopy s-waves. Either way, the attention is drawn to my eyes.

HylianGirl
April 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Hy there, I'm a wurly too! And I don't have a fringe nor layers, because my hair is the curliest at this area (an straighter at the nape). What I like to do is lace braid it ^-^

ETA: Here's a picture:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3809&d=1366045229

(I know it looks like I have a balding spot on my temple, I don't, it's just that the hair on my temples is always short, you can kinda see them poping out of the braid x.x this style also helps to keep them in place)

Naiadryade
April 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Sheesh, this thread has me really thinking about cutting some face-framing layers now. I think having them might make me feel better about putting my hair in a bun, so I would do it more often. If I'm going to try it, I should probably do it now while I'm still at BSL... that way if I decide I don't like them, it won't take as long for them to catch up to the rest of my hair when I get to waist and start microtrimming to do away with my existing layers.

The idea of cutting any part of my hair intentionally shorter makes me a little nervous though. Can anyone recommend some good youtube tutorials on doing it yourself? I've been cutting my own (and my friends') hair for years, so I have the eye and the skill, but I've never tried to do face-framing layers on long hair.

Angelica
April 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have all one length hair and very straight and fine, I also have the same problem as you. It seems so severe pulled back in a bun and because my hair lacks all volume, it appears flat. What helps me to soften the look is twisting strands of hair at the side of the head, or simply brushing it all back and twisting the top and clipping the front securely so that you have a kind of quiff. Or you could try a hairband which would also soften the look. I can't stand hair in my face or forehead, so fringes (bangs) are out for me. Hope you find what is best for you soon.

spidermom
April 15th, 2013, 11:20 AM
i feel you, same problem here. what i usually do is cut a few strands layered from chin down, see if they behave, because my wurly curly hair is unpredictable, and then go carefully shorter, in thin strands.
i looked up some updos Brigitte Bardot was doing when she was young. they look like bed head messy updos, very spicy!
i think you could try that, that would look amazing with your face. but for that you need layers in front.
if you like to risk having to iron your bangs then you could go for side swept bangs as many others already told you.

Very nice, but those styles take a lot of teasing and hair spray.

Ligeia_13
April 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I make a little pouf like this: http://i40.tinypic.com/21l0e3r.jpg with a teeny little hair clip.

It's nothing ridiculous, no hair spray or backcombing required, but it makes a huge difference to my face when I have all my hair pulled back.

bunzfan
April 15th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I have a side swept fringe it softens the face i feel the same as you mine look like this

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6668/dscf9003nq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/dscf9003nq.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

akilina
April 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I am all for bangs/face framing :)

I have had bangs and face framing for about 8 years now and do not see myself ever getting rid of them. I guess I sort of hide in it...My face is a bit fat, so the framing really helps me hide it or camouflage it well. Its very cute too! Flat ironing/curling it isn't a big deal. I trim it regularly, and even when I dont I honestly have no damage whatsoever in any part of my hair from heat tools.
If you do get face framing and want to heat style it, just make sure to use the appropriate head lever and only make one controlled pass down the hair. I use Chi Iron Guard 44.

novemberfoxtrot
April 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I love all these ideas! And I'm so happy to hear that other people have felt the same way I do. Lots of things to try! but keep 'em coming!

rainfortheend
April 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I suggest trying something not-so-permanent first. You can always fake side-swept bangs by parting your hair way off to the side, brushing the front of your hairline down, then pinning it or tucking it behind your ear. You can pin it a bit tight to straighten it out a bit or use something like aloe vera gel.

Something like this: (creepy picture, but the it's best representation i could find)
http://sweetdebkips.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/new-truth-hair-jodie.png

Edit: Better picture

http://www.katesullivanblog.com/2013/03/last-friday-night/ (http://sweetdebkips.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/new-truth-hair-jodie.png)

Fairlight63
April 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I used to have bangs & grew them back out because I hated them in my face, they felt like a bug or something tickling my face. They are finally long enough to blend in with the rest of my hair. What I do is put a head band on then push it forward some to give some puff to the front. Or I will part my hair & kind of make a little bang to the side & put in a small side comb above each ear, then put the rest in a side braid, or a bun. It kind of looks like I have side bangs without having had to cut them.

Kaelee
April 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I love side bangs/face framing layers personally...I don't worry about them as much either. Because I'm maintaining them, instead of growing them, I don't worry as much about damage because I tend to trim them every couple of months. Which is something to consider if you are tempted to cut bangs and reach for the flat iron. ;)