PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your hair while sleeping?

qwerty
April 13th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I've been growing my hair for 7 months after the hairdresser cut off too much. It was up to my bra strap and she cut it up to my shoulders :(
Now after 7 months its back to my bra strap :o and now that it is longer, I don't know what to do to my hair while I'm sleeping. I don't want to braid it, as I don't like the waves it makes in my hair.
How does everyone have their hair while sleeping? Do you have any suggestions for me :)

Tristania
April 13th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Loose, inside a satin sleep cap. When I wake up in the morning my hair looks gorgeous. No combing required, and no weird lumps or bumps.

RedBlue
April 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I tend to wear my hair loose, but on hot nights, I put it in a pony loop or crown braid it.

rock007junkie
April 13th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I usually braid it and put a paranda satin strip to the ends.

Chromis
April 13th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I wear a single braid. Every night. Always. I've never been able to keep a cap on my head when sleeping and don't like the forehead dent and I can't wear super high buns.

I wear my hair up and you can't even see the braid waves since my crown still is straight. Wearing your hair up will help keep from getting damaged while you grow it out, plus it lets you try fun new styles and play with lots of hairtoys.

neko_kawaii
April 13th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Lets see: sometimes a braid, sometimes a cinnamon bun held with spin pins placed high enough that I can lay on my back and not feel it against my pillow, and when it is full of oil in a satin sleep bonnet.

I can understand not wanting braid waves the next day. I don't know how easily your hair relaxes, but if I were to mist my hair with water and comb it it would relax any waves. Dunno how that weighs in on the damaging/nondamaging scale. It isn't something I do often because I tend to wear my hair up or braided during the day. Bun waves are quite different from braid waves, so you might consider that option.

Natalia
April 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Loose and above my head/shoulders since i tend to roll around alot. I would wear a satin cap but i go to bed after showering an am afraid it wouldnt dry by the morning.

Carolyn
April 13th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I only wear my hair down if I have washed it that morning. So braid waves from the previous night wouldn't matter to me. Braid waves look awful if I want to ponytail my hair the next day. So after a night in a braid I either rebraid it or bun it. I don't have a problem with sleeping with it loose unless it's a really hot and humid night and the AC is broken.

Happytresses
April 13th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I braid it.

spirals
April 13th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I do a single braid or more often, two braids. If I am going to wear it down and don't like the braid waves, I mist it with detangler/moisturizer and sometimes gel. I either comb it out for a straighter look or put it in a t-shirt for a few minutes to help my curls come back.

Zindell
April 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
My hair is slightly longer than TBL and I wear it loose when I sleep.
I tried braiding it, but for some reason it dampens the shine in my hair, so I stopped that.

It doesn't matt even if I have it loose all night, so it's not a problem for me. :-)

DancingQueen
April 14th, 2013, 12:21 AM
I just lie down, and flip it over the pillow, loose of course. This way you keep the curls/waves, and you keep the volume on top. :)

Edit: My hair is only a few inches past APL, so I don't know if this will work at BSL... But give it a try though, I don't see why not.

alyaziaaah
April 14th, 2013, 03:07 AM
at the moment my hair is layered and just reached bsl again after a mighty trim. i sleep with my hair loose over the pillow. these days i am wearing my hair slightly stretched in beach waves so braid waves would mess with that style.
when my hair was longer i used to make a braid, but although i did that for many years and i am using a smooth satin pillow i always feel the back of my head ruffled and i have to use water to smooth the cuticle down. i think at bsl even with one length hair i dont need to braid it, but if it gets like mb i am sure i will have to because of the tangling. but then i will keep my hair up most of the time so braid waves dont matter, and if i want it loose i spray it with water. since my hair will be longer the upper layer of curls wont spring up as crazy as they do now, so wetting will be ok. but if i did that now, i would have 3a curls in my upper layers and 2b in my lower length lol, damn if i had know this before i cut it in layers lol

Quahatundightu
April 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Hair is just past TBL and although I can sleep with it down, it often results in a lot of tangles, even if I put my hair up above my head to sleep. Usually I have a topknot (a cinnabun on the top of my head) held with a clip, it lets me toss and turn all night and when I let it down in the morning it still retains volume and bunwaves.

ladyfey
April 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I wear a sleep cap, and love it!

daredevil14
April 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM
With shoulder-length wavy/curly hair, I just leave it as it is (down) and take it away from my face and flip the length over to simply rest on the pillow. I get more waves/curls in the morning (which I like) but sometimes the length is reduced (especially after long hours of sleep), so, as part of my daily routine, I'll have to wet 2 large strands of hair (with the ends) to get the length back with curly ends.

missfaroe
April 14th, 2013, 05:12 AM
I wear a high loose bun on top on my head when I go to bed. I think it is the best style for me because i tend to sleep on the side and i think it is a lot easier to do than a braid. But i would like to sleep with my hair in twin braids an wake up to braid waves every morning! ;)

Zesty
April 14th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I either wear my silk sleep cap or just flip my hair over my pillow so the length is hanging down between the headboard of the bed and the wall. I'm at BCL and the latter option results in slightly more tangles than the sleep cap, but nothing horrible.

Tota
April 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I wear it in one/two loose braids and then I dampen my TT in the morning and brush my hair with it to get rid of braid waves. It takes only 5 minutes to dry.

Before braiding my hair I used to wear a topknot with spinpins every night for almost a year. I loved the volume and pattern I got the next morning, but now I have sooooo many short hairs on the top of my head because of the breakage that I decided to stop bunning my hair at night.

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I wore mine in a braid.

ravenheather
April 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I always have a single English or Dutch braid.

embee
April 14th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I wear a topknot held with a two prong hairfork. There has been some breakage, but not much, and I've been doing this for a few years.

sisi33
April 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
There is really no set style for me. It all depends on how my scalp is feeling. If it hurts, or it's incredibly oily, I know it needs to stay loose. If my scalp feels fine, braid it. If for some reason I want to be freaked out in the middle of the night, twin braids that will end up wrapped around my neck, strangling me.

lunalocks
April 14th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I have stopped braiding at night since the ends get tattered. I put it up. I do get strange waves, but that doesn't matter if I am going to wear it up for the day anyway. But I get no wave dents and some lovely curl on the ends when I bun at night with seashell or upside down seashell. I either mist the length or apply a drop or 2 of mineral oil before bunning. I am going to try a silk cap at night, and a silk pillow case.

nobeltonya
April 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
When mine was that short, I'd just leave it loose.. now, I wear it in a nautilus bun, which ends up coming out anyway if I lay on my back.. but it keeps it rolled up heh Bunning it would also make waves, so I'd just say to leave it loose.. :disco:

AnnaB
April 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I french braid my hair into two braids. Nothing else feels comfortable.
I think sometimes you have to decide if you'd rather have the damage from sleeping or have the waves from the braids. But I hope you find a style that suits you best :D

millyaulait
April 14th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I keep it in a high bun on my head (held with a hair fork), it does fall out a few times during the night but this is my price to pay for no tangles!

I'm a tossy-turny sleeper & braids get really frizzy and tangly, so a very high bun is the easiest way to sleep for me. :)

vindo
April 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM
High flat bun on top held with 4 small claw clips! I do braid or hair down once in a while but my son gets tangled in it at night :lol:

missketi
April 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM
In a Dutch or French braid if my hair is clean because then it's slippery but if it has gone 2 days without washing, I sleep in an English braid.

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Well, my hair is now APL and I wear it loose or in very loose bun. When I had BSL I braided it simply because I get my hair wet every day and don't have to worry about braid waves. I've tried a satin sleep cap but it always pops off...maybe I'll try a satin pillowcase instead?

battles
April 14th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I keep it in a high bun on my head (held with a hair fork), it does fall out a few times during the night but this is my price to pay for no tangles!

I'm a tossy-turny sleeper & braids get really frizzy and tangly, so a very high bun is the easiest way to sleep for me. :)

I can't even imagine sleeping with a hair fork. :eek: Have you tried spin pins for sleeping?

I'm at a loss for what to do with my hair during sleep. Everything seems to shred the fine hairs at my nape, so leaving it down is usually safer.

anitacs9101
April 14th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Loose, inside a satin sleep cap. When I wake up in the morning my hair looks gorgeous. No combing required, and no weird lumps or bumps.

Ditto. Best option for keeping hair looking good after wash day, IMO. Assuming you're a sound sleeper...I sleep like a rock most of the time so a loose fitting sleep cap stays on all night long.

millyaulait
April 15th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I can't even imagine sleeping with a hair fork. :eek: Have you tried spin pins for sleeping?

Well, 'tis quite a small fork... :o I have tried spin pins & amish pins, but somehow upon removal I have some terrible matting and knotting issues, possibly from friction? Who knows. :(

Jorja
April 15th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I've tried a braid, but it makes my underlayer of hair really tangly in the morning. I've also tried a spin pin bun on top of my head which my head didn't like at all the next day. All my roots hurt! I've given up and found that leaving it down all night results in less tangles. Then in the morning I finger comb gently and examine any tangles where I can usually find a right angle hair ready to split.

I'm not sure about sleeping with my hair over the pillow and down the wall. I imagine the spiders might think it's a ladder to my face.

Anje
April 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Add me to the sleep cap tally. Hair's usually loose inside.

I've tried braiding and satin pillows. I tend to end up sleeping on top of the braid (definitely defeats the purpose, and it looks pretty bedraggled in the morning), and I discovered that I passionately hate the feel of satin against my face. Also, the bonnet helps keep my husband from rolling onto my hair and pinning me down and prevents it from wrapping around my neck. Bunning it is generally a no-go, as my scalp deserves a break and will insist that it be given one.

Is it hideous? Definitely. But it works and I've heard few complaints.

Bagginslover
April 15th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I just started wearing satin sleep caps last week, and I'm converted!! Even with braiding my layers would come loose and tangle, but with a cap, I have no tangles at all! I coil my hair loosely inside, and in the morning I have lovely flicks to my ends, something I've found impossible to produce in the past, even with heated appliances!

redtuss
April 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
How do you get the bonnet/cap to stay on your head? Mine has gone all loose in the elastic ribbon and can only be worn if I make two braids on the sides of my head and use elastics to hold the sleeping cap secured "on to" the braids..
I do have silk pillowcases and mostly sleep with braids nowadays since my sleeping cap went kaputt..
What kind of cap do you guys use?

Naiadryade
April 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I always braid it. I alternate between one braid, two braids, and one dutch braid. I like the braid waves from the dutch braid, so those I'll leave, but with the english braids I prefer my natural wave pattern. After taking out the braids, I dampen my hair slightly with a mister bottle, gently stretch the waves out with my hands using the same motion I use to apply oils, then scrunch as it's drying to bring my natural wave pattern back. Leaves me smelling nice too, because of what's in my mister bottle (catnip and herbal teas, essential oils, rosewater, and when hat weather is solidly gone I'm going to add aloe)!

I'm tempted to get a satin sleep cap at some point, though.

yoni
April 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Usually a bun
a simple braid if I have the power
and sometimes when i'm lazy I just make a ponytail (bad decision though :D)

oh and my hair is curly/wavy and most of it is pretty much at mid back or past it :)

door72067
April 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM
when I first joined here, I gave the braiding at night a go, but found it's not for me (I was getting breakage behind my ears and down towards the nape of my neck) and I'm back to loose and tossed over my pillow and off the edge of the bed (I'm just brushing waist)

Mandie
April 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I usually just leave my hair loose and toss it up over my head. I'm finally at a length where leaving it down my back means I tend to catch it under my arm while I'm sleeping which hurts so I toss it over my head and call it good. I found braiding/bunning just caused tangling and breakage which is really uncommon for me so loose suits my hair better.

Anje
April 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
How do you get the bonnet/cap to stay on your head? Mine has gone all loose in the elastic ribbon and can only be worn if I make two braids on the sides of my head and use elastics to hold the sleeping cap secured "on to" the braids..
I do have silk pillowcases and mostly sleep with braids nowadays since my sleeping cap went kaputt..
I've been using one of these cheapies (http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Bonnet-Sleep/dp/B003I5SC72) for the last couple years. Though I can buy them locally for about half what Amazon's selling them for. They hold up pretty well, and when the elastic is worn out, it's not a big deal to replace the thing.

That said, I have a personal theory that you have to practice wearing a sleep cap for at least a week or two, if you aren't used to them. I think I spent the first week finding that I'd ripped mine off in my sleep and flung it across the room, but persistence paid off. Even loose ones stay on, now.

Fnugg
April 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I braid my hair, but still get quite a bit of tangles, so I am considering satin pillow cases. I move around a lot in my sleep, so loose or sleep cap isn't really a good option.

Unicorn
April 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I've tried a braid, but it makes my underlayer of hair really tangly in the morning. I've also tried a spin pin bun on top of my head which my head didn't like at all the next day. All my roots hurt! I've given up and found that leaving it down all night results in less tangles. Then in the morning I finger comb gently and examine any tangles where I can usually find a right angle hair ready to split.

I'm not sure about sleeping with my hair over the pillow and down the wall. I imagine the spiders might think it's a ladder to my face.

:tmi: I'll never be able to throw my hair over the top of the bed again.

Unicorn

petali
April 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I make a lazy bun with a pencil, and since I'm a side sleeper, it doesn't bother me much. It is very smooth and frizz-free in the morning when I do this! I don't even have to comb my hair if I'm in a hurry.

Magalo
April 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I do a single dutch braid or a paranda braid. I usually go to bed sleeping on my back (with an Herbal Animal eyepillow on my face... lol) with my head sligthly tilted so the braid is not directly behing my neck, but I often switch to sleeping on my side after a couple minutes. I'm so comfortable in both position but the braid is annoying. Twin braids would be annoying when I'd like to sleep on my side. I tried a top knot last night but I didn't like it. :( There's no way for me to be TOTALLY comfortable except when it's loose.

dulce
April 15th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I used to wear a silk cap but now just leave it loose and my hair[past waist] is doing fine.I think it enjoys the freedom of nothing in or on it.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 15th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I have my hair loose inside a satin sleep cap with elastic around the edge. As in "Little House on the Prairie", lol. It keeps my hair shiny and tangle free and I wouldn't like to have to return to not wearing one again. The difference it makes to my hair is remarkable. Even though it looks ridiculous.

CurlyCap
April 16th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Since I passed BSL, it's been a lot easier to sleep with it down and slightly damp. I wake up in the morning and while it's a bit squashed, it plumps and curls right up when it's finally dry.

However, above BSL, if I slept with my hair "down", I woke up to permanently squashed curls or zigzags that just looked bizarre.

I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I remember that at hip I couldn't sleep with it down because something would always get caught under my shoulder and I'd get squashed curls.

Sigh.

ghost
April 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Last night I fell asleep with my hair still down, but that's not a common occurrence. Most of the time I wear one or two braids, sometimes 4 if I want a crimped look in the morning. Sometimes I do a high bun, but usually braids.

AdaClare
April 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I normally wear it in one braid at night. Two (sometimes English, sometimes French or Dutch) depending on how wavy I want my hair to be the next morning.

earthnut
April 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Loose, with a satin pillowcase. A little smoothing with conditioner or oil in the morning and I'm good to go (sometimes I will skip this if I'm being lazy, just rearrange my part and I'm good to go)

anitacs9101
April 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM

I just use the cheapest kind they sell at Walmart. It's rather loose but I don't move around much in my sleep so it stays on pretty well. I haven't had an issue with it getting too loose, but when my sleeping masks get too loose I sew them tighter. You could try that maybe?

I've been using one of these cheapies (http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Bonnet-Sleep/dp/B003I5SC72) for the last couple years. Though I can buy them locally for about half what Amazon's selling them for. They hold up pretty well, and when the elastic is worn out, it's not a big deal to replace the thing.

That said, I have a personal theory that you have to practice wearing a sleep cap for at least a week or two, if you aren't used to them. I think I spent the first week finding that I'd ripped mine off in my sleep and flung it across the room, but persistence paid off. Even loose ones stay on, now.

The same thing happened to me...when I first started wearing one, I figured I wouldn't have any issues with it falling off because I sleep like a rock. But somehow every night it ended up slipping off. But now it stays on every night o.O I dunno.

Aeris
April 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Most nights, I wear it in a cinnabun held with a silk scrunchie. I try to vary the location every night. I alternate this with various braids, and also sock curls :)

redtuss
April 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM

I will definitely try that one, it looks secure enough even for my hair :P Bought one off Ebay a few days ago, now to play the waiting game!

KwaveT
April 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I don't have the length of hair many of you do. Mine is loose on a stain pillow case and satin sheets. Mine fairy tales right at APL.

dulce
April 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I just bought several African butterfly clips,they are definitely comfortable enough to wear to bed in a full updo[I do a figure 8 twist]

rainfortheend
April 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM
6 little braids inside a satin sleep cap. And when I say little, I mean little-- my hair isn't even chin length yet! My hair is fine and thin so it tangles easily, and this usually takes care of the morning tangles.

melusine963
April 25th, 2013, 01:03 AM
I wear a faux french braid. Now that my hair is long enough, it does occasionally wrap itself around my neck while I sleep. :)

kallarina
April 25th, 2013, 01:31 AM
My hair is at tailbone. I do a French or Dutch braid with a paranda. I have enough length on the paranda that it adds about 10 inches onto my braid, meaning the braid hangs to just past fingertip on me. I tie it off with a scrunchie to give it a little weight, and I let it hang off the bed above me. The additional length plus the weight of the scrunchie holds it over the side, meaning I can roll around and shift positions without it bothering me. I also sleep with a satin pillowcase to reduce nape breakage and tangles.
Spritzing with water and gently combing takes care of braid waves in the morning. Although, if I'm being honest, I usually just leave the braid in for as long as possible, because come on... How cool is a fingertip length braid?!?

melusine963
April 25th, 2013, 06:07 AM
The additional length plus the weight of the scrunchie holds it over the side, meaning I can roll around and shift positions without it bothering me.

I guess this is another reason for me to learn to french braid. I always start my night by flipping my braid above my head, but without anything to anchor it or way it down it never stays put.

redtuss
April 25th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I just bought several African butterfly clips,they are definitely comfortable enough to wear to bed in a full updo[I do a figure 8 twist]

Oh, they were pretty! Where do you position it - on top of the head perhaps?

Lissandria
April 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
A loose topknot looped ponytail towards the front of my head. I sleep propped up slightly and I toss and turn a lot in my sleep so his suits me fine. It's very comfy and even more so now my hair is getting longer as I can do it really loosely without my hair falling out at the back!

frejafjord
August 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I tend to put my hair into a high ponytail then I will take a silk scarf and wrap the ponytail within it, twisting it in like a bun. I then secure the silk bun with an additional scrunchie.

sarahthegemini
August 18th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Pre-LHC, I wore it loose. Nowadays, in a scrunchie bun with a satin sleep cap over the top :)

Majormiles
August 18th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Always up, either in two pigtail braids or in a scrunchie

melusine963
August 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Well, a braid was working just fine. Then I find out my cat likes chewing on it while I'm sleeping. :justy:

sumidha
August 18th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Most of the time I wear it down- I wait until I'm in bed about to go to sleep and then twist the hair like I'm making a high cinnamon bun, put my head on the pillow, and then drop the rope of hair onto the pillow above my head. I really dislike sleeping with braids, I toss and turn and they always end up as an uncomfortable lump under my shoulder... When I'm sleeping the hair needs to be out of the way, on the pillow above my head where it can't cause any mischief. :)

DinaAG
August 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
a loose french twist

CurlyCap
August 18th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Like a lot of other curlies have said, I just toss my hair over my pillow. It preserves the curls and adds volume.

I think it's very interesting how differently the curlies and the straights look at what's good for night-time. When I sleep in a cap, not only is it annoying, but my curls get all smashed. I won't ever sleep in a cap, even a gorgeous silk one.

BreeTheBoss
August 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Usually in braids. How do you put it loose in a satin sleep cap? When i try its so difficult to get it all neatly packed in there. Itd end up just getting tangly when i try :mad:

ebullience
August 18th, 2013, 10:09 PM
My hair is not as long as the rest of you, but I sleep with my hair loose most of the time. I was considering getting a sleep cap but then I tried sleeping with a beanie on my head as practice for a few nights - I found that I'm a fitful sleeper and would always take the beanie off in my sleep, so I decided that I'll just stick to wearing my hair loose for the time being :)

Faralie
August 18th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm a belly sleeper who never moves at night, so when I had waist length hair I'd cross the right side of my hair over the left at my neckline and it worked like a charm. No tangles, no bumps or lumps or rabbit nested mornings. :)

Mayihuan
August 19th, 2013, 04:35 AM
I wear either an English or a French braid at night. :) It's not very long so it doesn't tend to get in the way, but I do feel it protects my hair more than leaving it loose... in which case it tends to get pinched under my shoulders/arms and/or my husband's.

I have considered but not yet tried sleeping caps or special pillowcases. I have a hard time figuring out if they would be worthwhile. How does one determine the amount of breakage due to bed/sleep, that might be reduced by a cap/pillowcase ?

Stray_mind
August 20th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I usually sleep with my hair loose. I used to braid them in a single braid when they were longer.

michelle483
August 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM
The sleep cap sounds intriguing but 1. I wear an eye mask so I can sleep in total darkness, 2. I wear earplugs to not hear my husband's snoring. A sleep cap may put me over the edge :p. Right now my hair is a bit past shoulder length and I put it in a high bun with a scrunchie.

frejafjord
August 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Well, a braid was working just fine. Then I find out my cat likes chewing on it while I'm sleeping. :justy:

Didn't think cats went that far but now I fear for my braids with this little sweater eater in the bed;
http://i39.tinypic.com/spyt0n.jpg

melusine963
August 20th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Didn't think cats went that far but now I fear for my braids with this little sweater eater in the bed;

Awww! It's a good thing cats are so cute. Otherwise mine would have been evicted from the bedroom long ago.

clioariane
August 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Loose or braided. I want to buy a satin sleeping cap though :)

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM
Silk sleep cap

BlondeWavyGal
August 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
Usually just down.

Hootenanny
August 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Either two pigtails or pineappled in a velvet scrunchie. When I was shorter, I wore a silk cap, but lately that's been making my curls look deranged.

rach
August 21st, 2013, 05:36 PM
very high loose bun or braid or if i'm really lazy mode flipped over the pillow free raine which i often regret. I try but i fluctuate allot but laying with it in bed is usually a stupid idea as my husband will lay on it and i'd yep in middle of the night due to my head refusal to move. I move around allot in my sleep which is not great for my long hair journey , i know. Silk caps and allsorts never, NEVER stay on. One day i may get a silk pillow which may help.

MadameV
August 22nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
Gigantic (I keep adding socks to make it bigger) sock bun at the nape of my neck. It sounds horribly uncomfortable, I know, but there's a non-hair-related reason for it: I'm a very light sleeper on my stomach or side and even more so on my back. I'm ok(ish) if I'm on my stomach or side, but if I'm on my back I don't ever sleep deeper than whatever the lucid dreaming/waking every quarter hour stage of sleep is (I used to know; I've forgotten). Oh, and I only have nightmares, which I then remember because I keep waking up in the middle of them. And then the sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, etc. So, yes, it keeps me from sleeping on my back, but it also keeps me from waking up thirty times a night paralyzed in a room full of Technicolor spider ghosts. It's worth the bun waves for that.

My bun is my dream catcher.

Haybop
August 22nd, 2013, 12:48 AM
French braid - as that's currently all I can do with it :S

Stray_mind
August 22nd, 2013, 12:50 AM
tonight i had two side dutch braids. They were damp when i braided them and today i woke up with some nice headfull of braidwaves ^^

Melika
August 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
...braid or if i'm really lazy mode flipped over the pillow free raine which i often regret. I try but i fluctuate allot but laying with it in bed is usually a stupid idea as my husband will lay on it and i'd yep in middle of the night due to my head refusal to move. I move around allot in my sleep which is not great for my long hair journey , i know. Silk caps and allsorts never, NEVER stay on. One day i may get a silk pillow which may help.

This. I just do a simple braid, it's crooked and isn't always even. I have layers so the tail is long- but my husband stays off it if I braid. Normally I wouldn't wake up and he says he wakes up to me making little squeaking sounds when he's on my hair but more than once I've woken up yelling in pain because it was being yanked out of my head. One time I was actually dreaming that half my hair was being yanked out of my scalp as some sort of torture and woke up yelling...

But the good news is I'm getting better at braiding! :D

NuclearApple
August 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
I currently wear my hair in interlaced braids from loepsie's video,veery comfotrable :o

erinlesley09
August 22nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Usually I wear mine down to sleep, but I do braid it sometimes. I think it will need to be braided more often since I'm letting it grow and having my boyfriend trap my hair is no fun.

woodswanderer
August 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
I'm at TB and I wear mine loose to sleep. I just move it to the side (toward outside of bed) and slightly up and it drapes over the side of my pillow. It works well for me, but it was hell when we had a kitten and the little devil would pull the ends of my hair sometimes as I slept.

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
I make a loose bun at the top of my head. Really gives me volume in the morning (but then it gets flat again. Ahh, that's what I hate about type 1 hair most) ;)

battles
August 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Starting to wash before bed, let dry slightly and then twist into a loose bun and drop into sleep cap.

I've been waking up with loose waves that way, I prefer it to washing during the day.

Yozhik
August 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/spyt0n.jpg

What a cutie - I'd love to see more pics of him over on the "show me your cat" thread. :flower:

Also, MadameV, that's really interesting that back-sleeping causes so many problems for you -- glad the sock bun staves off the demons! :demon: :evil:

Soltimus
August 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
I sleep with my hair in a single plait on my left side. It's the only way I've been able to get it to work so far without my sleep being disturbed.

NataschaB.
August 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
My hair is loose while sleeping.

prettyinpink
August 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
I put in in a loose braid and tie the end with a silky ribbon

sourgrl
August 23rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Two braids or a low bun, depending on how much wave I want the next day.

TheIronMaiden
August 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I French or Dutch braid it. Otherwise, I can't stand my morning tangles. A fish tail braid takes too much time and gets me some sort of awkward-looking braid waves.

TheIronMaiden
August 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I make a loose bun at the top of my head. Really gives me volume in the morning (but then it gets flat again. Ahh, that's what I hate about type 1 hair most) ;)

We can change! :cool:

Komao
August 30th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I wear a loose braid. No tangles and comfortable for sleeping. :)

Amygirl8
August 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
My hair is hiplength and although it doesn't tangle too bad if I wear it loose, it frizzes really badly the next day so I don't like to do it.
Usually, I keep it in a bun at my nape, but if I'm going for curls or waves it'll be either in braids or in socks or rags or something.

As long as it's not loose for me, I can't handle that frizz >.<

knux
August 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I love sleeping with my hair in headband curls. I have one of those wide, soft, headbands so I always wake up with beautiful waves. If its a night I've washed my hair I headbang for a bit to dry it and instead of wrapping my hair around the headband from both sides meeting in the middle, I take all of my hair and wrap it around towards one side of my head and use a tiny clip to hold my ends in place. I find that this is loose enough that my hair dries almost entirely by morning.

TenaciousTangle
August 30th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I've always slept with my hair in a braid that's flipped up over the pillow to keep it from being rubbed to death by my shoulders. Anything short of a braid will leave me with sooo many tangles. Sometimes I put my braid in a sock-like thing I sewed for the purpose of keeping my hair neat. It works well, but I can't seem to keep track of its whereabouts.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 31st, 2013, 06:08 AM
Mid-back length here and I wear it in a side braid for bed then take it out in the morning, de-tangle and put it back into the braid again. I used to bun but found that that made my ends snap off and bend for some reason. A braid seems to keep in the moisture and protect from mechanical damage without messing with my ends.

which.chick
August 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM
I'm a braider for sleep -- loose braid starting at the nape of my neck. I roll over a couple of times (side sleeper) during the night, but apparently not enough to destroy the loose braid. I've been braiding my hair for sleep for about ten years now, and it works for me.

Foxylocks
August 31st, 2013, 10:05 AM
My hair is waist length, and I always wear a braid (in the daytime too, whenever I don't wear a bun). It is the most comfortable, and when I rinse my hair with cool water in the morning the waves disappear anyway.

katiebeans
August 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM
near waist-length; I sleep with it in a braid every night. Prevents tangles and gives my pin straight hair some texture :)

sakuraemily
August 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM
I've been growing my hair for 7 months after the hairdresser cut off too much. It was up to my bra strap and she cut it up to my shoulders :(
Now after 7 months its back to my bra strap :o and now that it is longer, I don't know what to do to my hair while I'm sleeping. I don't want to braid it, as I don't like the waves it makes in my hair.
How does everyone have their hair while sleeping? Do you have any suggestions for me :)

I face the same problem. What I do now is to push all the hair to the top of my head over the edge of the pillow and secure it midway with a jawclip. It stays up there all night and there's no friction on it and no braid waves. No tangles either. Some hair escapes but most of it stays in the clip. I have hair an inch away from BSL.

höpönasu
August 31st, 2013, 01:50 PM
I gave my hubby the silent treatment.
:cry:

Taenarian
August 31st, 2013, 01:56 PM
A loose, unbound English braid, or a top bun in a scrunchie, all depending on the hour I retire. I've BSL length hair when wet, rather a bit less when dry :rolleyes:

deja
September 12th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I wrap my hair around my head at night so all of the natural and oils I put in can transfer throughout the strands and then I put a satin cap on.
(That is, if I'm not too tired.)

deja
September 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I wrap my hair around my head at night so all of the natural and oils I put in can transfer throughout the strands and then I put a satin cap on.
(That is, if I'm not too tired.)

Crumpet
September 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I am *still* waiting for my sleep cap to arrive. Its been a few weeks since I ordered it...I'm getting really cranky since I have decided it is a magical cap that will enable my hair to reach waist length in just a few days.

Hmm, maybe I'm being a tad unrealistic?

Selchie
September 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I braid it, always, otherwise it ends up all tangled.

Agnes Hannah
September 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I drapemine over the pillow. I try to get it away from my neck so it doesnt catch on anything

Coolcombination
September 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Either an English braid, French braid or a high cinnamon bun with a scrunchie

Coolcombination
September 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Either an English braid, French braid or a high cinnamon bun with a scrunchie. My hair is 2" away from waist!

Stagecoach
September 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I have recently started using a silk sleeping wrap, and I love it. For years I have spelt with loose hair because i could not rest with tension on my scalp when my hair was in any kind of do. Now, it stays contained and tangle free without the scalp tension.

Brattina88
September 12th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I either braid it or put it in a low pony tail, but my hair isn't even BSL length yet.

velorutionista
September 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I usually french braid it, unless want lots of curls next day, then I do a sock bun on top of my head (just high enough so it doesn't feel weird while I sleep).

tigerlily.
September 12th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I used to plait my hair to one side, but it would find its way under my back when I was sleeping. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. I save the side plait for daytime now. To sleep, I like to stick it in a topknot held up by a scrunchy, gets it all out of the way :)

animetor7
September 12th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Hmmm well that depends entirely on what part of my hair "cycle" I'm in. If it's right before wash day then it is usually in a heavily oiled topknot or dutch braid, earlier in the "cycle" it usually is in some form of braid, single, twin, dutch, french, rope, fishtail, etc. whatever appeals to me that night/I haven't worn in a while. However once in a rare while I'll sleep with a caterpillar "braid". I almost never sleep with it loose as I always get horrendous tangles when I do so.

Tapioca
September 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I used to just wear it loose, but my incredibly thick hair has been thinning, so I can do a comfortable braid now.

lapushka
September 14th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Down, loose. It just gets folded underneath my head when I sleep, and stays put neatly (as I don't move much during sleep).

Crumpet
September 14th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Soooo, my new sleep cap arrived yesterday. I'm already in love. I left my hair in a braid in the cap last night and slept for about 12 hours (I've been traveling and working a lot lately!). I awoke to gorgeously perfect hair and a still-smooth braid, which never happens to me.

I'm really excited about the sleep cap now...and to think I poo-poo'd the idea for a while!

Eve 322
September 14th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread, as I've recently come to a crossroads where my hair is too long to sleep with it lose anymore. .. it's way too annoying. >_<

For the past week I've been wearing it either in a low ponytail or a low, loose braid to sleep. Looking for more ideas, though, and entertaining the idea of buying a satin/silk sleep cap and/or pillowcase.

happygal
September 15th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I usually first comb through my hair, and put it in two large sort of tight braids. I cover my pillow with a towel, too.

ashke50
September 15th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I just have it plaited. Simple, quick to do, keeps it safe, and stops it trying to strangle me or my husband in the night!

Aingeal
September 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I pineapple my hair into a very high pony tail. It looks silly, but leaves me with curls in tact for the next day usually.

merrow
October 25th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I usually put my hair in a french braid.

Cindershadow
October 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I always wear a single braid, sometimes as a side braid.

shola-faye
October 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I recently discovered a very loose crown braid is very comfortable. I tried sleeping with it loose once and woke up in the middle of the night with parts of my hair drenched in sweat and some plastered to my face, I think I get very hot when I sleep.

DweamGoiL
October 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM
It depends how I want it to look the next day and the last time I washed it, but either way, I sleep with a half satin / half mesh bonnet to protect it. If it's freshly washed, I pineapple so it will have volume and well defined waves in the morning. If it's on it's 3rd day, I will twist my hair as it I am going to French Twist it and then cinnamon bun the length of it on top of my head and hold it with 1 or 2 jaw clips. This is pretty comfortable to sleep in and keeps my hair without any creases or weird waves in the morning.

Rio040113
October 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Braided (single english plait, side or centered) or loose, either way it's always confined within my sleep cap :)

Almendra
October 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I use two segmented ponytails (low) or ocasionally a high (really high) bun. I don't like braid's waves, look weird in my hair.

lunalocks
October 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
High bun with a fork. it's on the top of my head so I don't sleep on the fork. If I wash in the evening, I let it partway dry but wrap it on the top of my head and secure with a fork and in the morning I let it down and let it dry the rest of the way and it usually gets quite wavy this way. Dry, there are several buns I do to get specific waves. I do a seashell bun on the top of my head held with spin pins and make the first loops large and the last few small. That gets me curls on the ends.

You might try sleeping on a satin or silk pillow case and putting your hair up and over the pillow. That would help it stay straight.

quiltlady
April 26th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I wrap my hair in a bun and place it in a sleep cap. If I have oiled it or can't find my sleep cap I wrap it in a bun on top of my head and use two 3" amish pins to secure the bun.

meteor
April 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Either 1 or 2 English braids with a silk tie and a silk sleep cap. Silk definitely helps keep hair smooth.

I can't sleep with my hair loose, or it will take me hours to detangle in the morning.

Larki
April 26th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Either a single braid, braided pigtails (most common), a French braid, or if I want to avoid braid waves, I leave it down but spread it back over my pillow. With a braids, I have zero tangles in the morning, and when I leave it down, I usually have one or two, but nothing crazy - no knots or anything, and it doesn't take me any longer to brush it out.

jacqueline101
April 26th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Right now loose stuffed under my satin sleep cap.

sarahthegemini
April 27th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Now I wear my hair in two ponytails (pigtails) I sleep on a satin pillow case. No sleep cap for me! I got sick of it.

höpönasu
April 27th, 2014, 04:20 AM
In a loose Invisibobble bun. Sometimes it's braided.

FallingDarkness
April 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I used to have it in a bun, but due to fear of breakage, I have switched to an English braid.

Lizzleluu
April 27th, 2014, 05:49 PM
I do one or two french braids for this tangle magnet hair. As a bonus it looks somewhat presentable come morning. Crazy bed hair be gone!

swords & roses
April 27th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I just leave mine loose, & flip it up above my head (so towards the headboard of the bed). I don't like to sleep in braids, because they always end up around my neck (I have a weird quirk about stuff around my neck), and buns & wraps & such don't work well when you use your hubby's chest or shoulder as a pillow half the night. ;)

gonzobird
April 27th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Side braid!

Syren_Curls
April 28th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I used to pineapple my hair on the top of my head but, oddly enough, it would loosen my curls. I think, now having learned more, it was for other reasons. I also used to braid my hair fairly loosely.

I recently purchased this http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and so far, it's been okay. I've figured out that pulling it lower on my forehead (not my favorite thing to do) and also lower than my hairline in the back helps it stay on. I've only had it move, never had it come off, though. I ordered it from Amazon, but the reviews there say that it's selling at Walmart for $2.99. I just don't have a Walmart anywhere near me, lol. I'm mostly satisfied with it, but I haven't had it for too long so I can't say whether it has helped preserve my hair just yet.

Rosa Harris
April 28th, 2014, 02:16 AM
scrunch bun - if thats what is is called pinned in place with one of my custom hairpins/short hairstics with attached tie thong in a satin sleep cap

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I do pigtails or two french braids and wrap my satin scarf over. Best way not to have a hair disaster the next day