PDA

View Full Version : Feye's trimming method

Mononoke
April 13th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I read Feye's original post, as well as some forum posts on the matter, and it seems that different people got slightly different results with regards to the U/V/blunt cut. Could you share your experience on what is the best way (preferably for straight hair, if it matters) to achieve a very slight U/blunt cut? I'm planning to use the method with the two ponytails.

Soraine
April 13th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have been using Feye's method for over 2 years now. When I was using the 2 ponytails method I always seem to get a hemline that is shorter on one side... So lately I have been tying my hair under my chin and siding it down that way and cutting it. If you want an almost blunt cut, perhaps you could tilt your head slightly upwards? I have 1b hair and this method works the best for me.

Zindell
April 13th, 2013, 04:36 AM
So lately I have been tying my hair under my chin and siding it down that way and cutting it.

This is what I do as well per advice of Spidermom when Feye's self trimming method failed on me.
It works wonders! I have slightly waved hair and it gives me a very slight U cut.

(Pic on my avatar is before I started using this method so it won't show there)

Mononoke
April 13th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Good idea, I will try that!

lapushka
April 13th, 2013, 05:59 AM
First use the method with the two ponytails, bind them off with elastics, then hold them at the elastics while you look up at the ceiling and slide the elastics down in that position. That should position the elastics right. Now cut an even amount on each side. Now you have a slight V cut. Then do the method with one elastic at the back to cut off the tip of the V. Now you have a slight U. Done!

Tristania
April 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
So I've been wondering, is there a good method for putting in layers?

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I did Feye method once seemed alright my hair is clear at the end so I had trouble seeing it.

meteor
April 13th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'm very interested in this, too.

I have been using Feye's method for over 2 years now. When I was using the 2 ponytails method I always seem to get a hemline that is shorter on one side... So lately I have been tying my hair under my chin and siding it down that way and cutting it. If you want an almost blunt cut, perhaps you could tilt your head slightly upwards? I have 1b hair and this method works the best for me.
Soraine, I love your method of just one ponytail under chin. Does this mean that the more you direct your head to the ceiling, the more blunt the cut? And the more you direct your head to the floor, the sharper V-shape it becomes?

Cheele
April 13th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I've been cutting a rather deep V using Feye's method for a few months now (I trim a lot). It works perfectly for me. I usually wear my hair in a side part, but before I trim I give myself a middle part then do the ponytail thing. I've only ever done the V, so I can't really speak for the blunt or U methods. I reckon if you do the V way, but just look up straight to the ceiling as you slide down the ponytail, it might be soft enough for you. I have mostly 1b hair.

Yes. For me, Feye's method is the easiest to put in layers (that I've ever personally done).

First, I go about my normal two ponytail thing and trim off what I want.

Then, with ponytails taken out and my hair completely down, I go back and grab my hair as if I'm putting it half-up.

You should grab how much/low little you want to be layered here (also make sure it's even on all sides), then tie or clip that out of the way.

Take the hair that you left out of the half-up and do a very low pony to keep that out of the way.

Undo your half-up and separate that into two ponytails and do Feye's method just as you did the initial trim, staying away from the low pony containing the under-layer.

Ta-da. Layers. I did long layers this way a few months ago. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11074&attachmentid=3741

Tristania
April 13th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I don't think I'm quite brave enough yet, though. And I really need a decent pair of scissors too, before I attempt anything DIY.

Soraine
April 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM

What I do for layers is after doing the pony under chin method, I'll pull my hair up in a high ponytail and trim off a little bit off the ends, about an inch or less( depending on how layered you want it, you can cut more as long as you don't trim off the bits that are from the bottom of your head). This gives me a layered effect with a U shape hemline which I really like as it doesn't touch the previously trimmed U hemline.

I have actually noticed though, that if I do feye's method, when tilting my head down a lot and combing my hair from the part line forward until everything is hanging down, that it will give me somewhat choppy layers in a V, which I didn't like, but Cheele liked for her v shape layers.

I'm very interested in this, too.

Soraine, I love your method of just one ponytail under chin. Does this mean that the more you direct your head to the ceiling, the more blunt the cut? And the more you direct your head to the floor, the sharper V-shape it becomes?

Yep! I think you just have to be careful that you don't tilt your head up too much and end up getting an inverted U lol. I haven't tried the pony under chin method looking down yet, but I do notice that looking straight ahead gives me a nice rounded U shape with a slight tip, so I suppose that looking down while tying the pony off would give an even more pronounced version of what I have, probably closer to a true V. It would also give some layering I think, since tilting your head down brings the hair closer to the crown forward.

NightOwl26
April 13th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I cut a slight U shape too. I carefully used my creaclip by myself for the back cutting a minimal amount. Instead of a ponytail, I used my smaller creaclip to cut the hair bringing it to the front with head slightly down. I don't split my hair in half. Only about 1/3 of it from the left and right sides. I like it somewhat straight in the middle of my hemline.

For layers I made a zigzag part around the top layer of my head, pulled it straight up and cut straight across. A zigzag parting will help it lay more textured/blended. Growing those out now.

This YouTube guy is great! I also used his twist cut method for face framing layers. His easy zigzag technique video is great too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQcLobKES1g

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bKKUNvxZ3S8

AnnaJamila
April 14th, 2013, 12:41 AM

This is how I do it. Also to make sure that it's perfectly, awesomely even I do each step 3-4 times brushing my hair out really well each time. It helps if your hair is oiled, at least I think so.

spirals
April 14th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Wow, I do my layers really differently than y'all. After cutting the perimeter shape, I divide my hair in half. I then pull each side straight out from my head and hold it like a plank and cut a diagonal line. This gives me layers close to the ends. If I want the layers at the back of my head to fall shorter than the ones at the front, I pull the hair to the opposite side before cutting. (I'm essentially crossing the sides over each other at the back.) I'm doing what the hairstylist would do.

meteor
April 16th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Great information on this thread! :)
When you bring hair forward for a trim, how do you guys make sure that you part you hair in two equal parts in the back?
I have no problem in the front, but I always mess up the back, so I have to avoid styles like 2 braids / ponytails / buns.

earthnut
April 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Layers are easier than Feye's method! Make a centered ponytail, bring the tail up over the top of your head, right up the middle, and cut the end in a blunt cut.

Depending on where you make the ponytail, you'll get different amounts of layering. On my waist length hair, if I make a ponytail on the edge of my forehead (the highest it will go) and cut upsidedown, my shortest layer is armpit length. If I make a ponytail at the nape of my neck (the lowest it will go) the shortest layer is only 3 inches shorter than the longest layer.