PDA

View Full Version : So I Cut My Hair! Eep!

Mesmerise
April 12th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Well I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now... at first I thought I'd just grow out my henna, but really the roots against the hennaed hair looked AWFUL! Also, my hair was quite thin and horrid due to several lots of bad shedding. I was quite embarrassed about wearing it loose as it always looked pretty bad. It also looked bad if I wore it in a ponytail or something, as the ponytail was so puny and dreadful, especially at the ends!

Now, I know a lot of long hairs don't really care about wearing their hair out, because they like the pretty updos etc. However, I'm one of those who figures that if it looks lousy loose, there's not a lot of point... it's not like I look so different having short hair to having my hair up anyway (I think I look a LOT better with long loose hair... at least prettier... than I do with either short hair or hair in an updo but as I've been hating the way my HAIR looked loose it's been up 99% of the time anyway).

Sooo... I decided to cut it off to get most of the henna off... and when it's all gone, I'll grow it again! (I'll also hopefully get that darn shedding under control).

I feel okay about it now. But I'm probably going to wake up in the middle of the night and freak out about what I've done!!

I don't think I'd have cut my hair if it had at least looked reasonable... even with the grow out... but with two crosses against it, it just seemed better to cut it. I'm now only a few months off having virgin hair and then I'll be back on track to grow grow grow again!!

juliaxena
April 13th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Sometimes it needs to be done. My route has been longer but my chops were 2 inch chops (and I still need a one inch chop). You will have all virgin hair a lot faster and that wll be such a relief.

ghost
April 13th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Nothing wrong with that :) If you're happier this way, that's what matters.

Mesmerise
April 13th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I think at the moment I AM happier :). I do know how emotions can fluctuate about stuff like this though ;). I'm still a long hair at heart and always will be, even with it short!! I guess I had better update my siggy!!

Oh, and in other good news, while I still have henna in my hair, all the old chemically colour treated hair is GONE!! So at least the remaining hair is pretty healthy :D. It also looks much thicker too! You'd almost think I had thick hair looking at it... I just have to be careful not to get a mushroom head look lol.

Quixii
April 13th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Mesmerise, you've been here long enough to know that hair cuts don't count without pictures. :p

ravenreed
April 13th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I am sorry that you are struggling with thinness. I have been growing out a terrible shed after a surgery a couple years back and I still feel like my hair is quite thin, especially near the hairline in front. I never could see my scalp before! I hope you have fun with your shorter hair, and enjoy growing it back out again.

cooklaezo13
April 13th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Enjoy the short hair! I cut my hair from hip to ear to get rid of henna, and I never regretted it. A year and a half later, I'm just past APL.

lapushka
April 13th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Good on you for taking the plunge. It's hard to grow out color, and if that's your way to deal with that as well as the shedding, then good for you!

UltraBella
April 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I'm sure you're rockin the short cut ! I'd love to see it !!

Nae
April 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Aww Mesmerise, you know we love you no matter what length your hair is.

I would also like to see pictures!!! How exciting!

CurlyCurves
April 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM
I considered a big chop lately. Decided against it though because I've never had hair this long before!

You're brave OP! Happy growing. I'd love to see a pic too, because your hair looks so shiny and beautiful in your avatar.

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm sure your beautiful with your new do.

long&blonde
April 13th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'm sure it's beautiful on you.
My favorite part of much shorter hair? Feeling the neat short healthy ends when it's so much easier to wash!

Wildcat Diva
April 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM
How are there no pictures? Pics or it didn't happen.

sisi33
April 13th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Good for you for having the courage to chop! Hope that you keep liking it!

juliaxena
April 13th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I might just join you. After looking at my hair in sun today, I can see it already needs another chop. You are a brave lady, perhaps I should be too.

Neecola
April 13th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Before I joined LHC, I did the same thing. My hair was never long by LHC standards, about BSL or so. But I only ever wore it up - the ends were so damaged from dye and I had no idea how to take care of curly hair so I never wore it down. When I switched from dye to henna, I cut off quite a bit. But I still had chemical dye and wanted it gone so I ended up cutting into a pixie-ish cut (about 2-3" of hair). There is something liberating about starting over and I enjoyed having my hair short for awhile. The growing out to where I could put it up again was a pain, especially because I'm a curly but it was over pretty quickly and well worth it to be starting "fresh".

Best of luck to you on your new journey!

leslissocool
April 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Mesmerise, you've been here long enough to know that hair cuts don't count without pictures. :p

Second this! I totally want to see!

NightOwl26
April 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Pics please! Your avatar pic is so beautiful and shiny! Sometimes cutting has to be done to be happier in the end :).

pinchbeck
April 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Personally, I prefer blunt ends on hair whether it is at apl or longer. When my ends get straggly looking, off they come and my hair always feels and looks invigorated. I am sure the same applies to you.

Sometimes cutting has to be done to be happier in the end Any pun intended? Good one!:o

browneyedsusan
April 15th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Aww Mesmerise, you know we love you no matter what length your hair is.

I would also like to see pictures!!! How exciting!

^this^ :)