PDA

View Full Version : How to lightly apply oil uniformly to all hair?

meteor
April 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I love oiling hair lightly every other day, but I notice it's hard to get all hair covered (unless you are doing pre-poo heavy oiling). I can get the braid tassel easily, I can get the canopy easily, but not all the hair. The videos of oiling hair lightly that I saw usually show splitting hair in the middle and going over the hair once or twice with oiled palms, but that would cover only a small portion of the hair. If I used a BBB, it would be easier to spread oil I guess, but I only use fingers and combs. What are your techniques? :)

EndlessSunshine
April 12th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I am going to try and use my misto sprayer.

Natalia
April 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I have fine hair and after i comb i rake the oil through canopy down, then split it in half and glide flat hands over my my hair (sandwiched one on top one under), then i put more oil on the ends and comb it all back to bun it up. I find all that manipulation enough to distribute the oil through my hair but i dont have much of it thickness wise.

door72067
April 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I just rub it between my hands then run my hands through my hair (like I am fingering combing)

seems to work pretty well for me

Kiwiwi
April 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I indeed split my hair in the middle.
Take a few drops, rub my hands together and sort of finger comb throughout my hair. Making sure I don't put hands completely flat on the hair so as to prevent that ALL the oil gets on the spot I touch first. Slowly but surely spreading it everywhere I want it (below the ears). And after that I brush through my hair to distribute it even further.
And then repeat the proces on the other side.
Works great!
I do do it on towel dry hair, though. Not on dry hair. But that would work the same :)

McFearless
April 13th, 2013, 01:36 AM
When oiling long hair I would split hair not down the middle but from ear to ear and then clap my hands together lightly over the hair, moving down until oil was applied from root to tip.

auburntressed
April 13th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I typically apply oil to the ends first, then I use my tangle teezer on my hair for a few minutes. As I teeze, the oil moves up the length and eventually becomes evenly distributed.

meteor
April 13th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Thank you for your replies, guys! Very helpful!
I can't believe I never did fingercombing with oil to get into my underneath layers! :doh:

pinchbeck
April 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM
My hair gets oiled daily with jojoba oil. I tried coconut oil and it weighed my hair down and made me look like I had the greasies. Not a good look. So, use an oil that your hair agrees with. To apply it lightly I emulsify the oil between my palms and apply it on sections from mid-shaft down to the ends. Afterward, to combat some of those fly aways I do the same thing by applying the oil from the roots down from the top of my head (like how rain falls down an umbrella). Afterward, my hair gets combed with a seamless wide toothed comb and off I go!