PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is up with my scalp? Advice please!

blondie9912
April 12th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I usually wash my hair about twice a week (I've even gone up to around 5 days or so in the past, regularly) and clarify every month, deep condition every 2 weeks or so. I use conventional products but always stick to sulphate free. I've got a pretty standard haircare routine, every once in a while I'll throw in a vinegar rinse or something, and I used to be huge on coconut oil, but now I don't really require it.

Anyway, my scalp has started acting strangely recently. I absentmindedly scratch at my scalp (especially near the crown) during class (appealing, right? :o) and have oily yellow-y substance under my nails afterwards. My scalp has started itching after 2 days of not washing, and it feels really...fungal, if that makes sense. My scalp will just start to feel kind of moist (not moist to the touch, but it feels like an ideal environment for bacteria to be growing in).

I've tried regular scalp scrubs with brown sugar, and they didn't really help. I've also thought that maybe the culprit was dryness, and that was why my scalp was itchy, so I tried some olive oil treatments, but I don't feel they've really had an effect either.

I can't stop scratching my scalp and getting the yellow-y gunk off, but it doesn't seem to be going away! One of my friends has very oily hair and she regularly washes every 2 days, and this is what she says her hair feels like if she waits too long between washings. What am I supposed to do? Should I start washing more frequently?

If anyone has had experience with this, I'd really appreciate your advice!

meteor
April 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Washing hair twice a week is usually fine. I don't think that's the problem.
Something else is up, sounds like mind fungus that happens to anyone from time to time.
The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago for no apparent reason, and all I did was put quite a bit (like a teaspoon) of neem oil on my scalp and massaged it in, left it overnight. Then I washed it out and the problem was gone... after just one single application.
I am a big fan of neem oil. If you can stand its smell, try it. If not, use a bit of tea tree oil mixed into coconut oil on your scalp. It works as a good anti-fungal treatment. Also, ACV wash should help a bit.
Warning: oiling scalp usually leads to more than normal shed during your first application. It's normal reaction.

ladyfey
April 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I get this and seborrheic dermatitis is the culprit for me. I use medicated anti-fungal shampoo and it has made a world of difference (Dandrene or Nizoral both have anti-fungal ingredient) I saw a dermatologist about mine to get it diagnosed, and that would probably be a good idea for you as well. Good luck! :)

PetuniaBlossom
April 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I mix coconut oil and castor oil in equal proportion and massage it into my scalp, leave it on a few hours or preferably overnight. The castor oil is anti-fungal and also seems to promote new hair growth. In-between washings (I'm also averaging 4 to 5 days) I massage my scalp every day for a few minutes, usually when watching TV. This has helped a great deal.

lapushka
April 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I get this and seborrheic dermatitis is the culprit for me. I use medicated anti-fungal shampoo and it has made a world of difference (Dandrene or Nizoral both have anti-fungal ingredient) I saw a dermatologist about mine to get it diagnosed, and that would probably be a good idea for you as well. Good luck! :)

Seconding everything ladyfey said. Go see a dermatologist if you're that worried. It's no use experimenting mindlessly with all kinds of things that make your problem worse; if it is something along the lines of SD, this needs to be dealt with properly.

jacqueline101
April 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I agree I'd go to the doctor.