PDA

View Full Version : Braids versus Buns - For daily wear

rowie
April 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Okay pardon me, but Google and the search bar is not working for me today. :( I would like to wear my hair in a single English braid everyday. This is appealing to me because some people say that they have grown down to calf length just by simply wearing hair in one single braid everyday. I don't know if that is a myth, but it's hard not to believe when I saw a pretty old woman at Walmart wearing a single braid as long as classic length. Is it a good idea to do so?

I am a daily bun wearer and I'd like to look for a more simple routine (if simplicity exists). I don't like changing my hair style everyday, even though it is recommended, and so far I haven't had any problems with my everyday nautilus bun. I just want a simple routine I can do to protect my ends to give my expensive hair toys a break, and also because i'm at a length where I can't do pin-less buns at the moment. I know it's different for every hair type, and the point of this thread is to observe what the "general" consensus of opinions are when it comes to "braids vs. buns."

What worries me about single braids:

1) I can really feel some of the shorter ends sticking out hitting my back and so friction is an issue. But will that friction damage those exposed hairs hitting my shirt all day?

2) If you don't tie the braid right it can encourage fairy tale ends. I've heard you need a pantyhose material to tie the ends with or something silky or silicone? Or tie it at different lengths everyday?

Similarly for buns:

1) wearing it at the same spot will cause breakage, and you need to shift it during the day to balance stress points. (This is a lot of work for me on a busy day).

2) you have to be careful with the placing of sticks, forks, in order to as much avoid hair snapping if you are the type that likes to weave in these tools.

What are your thoughts? Which causes more damage a bun or a braid? Do you like to braid your hair everyday or bun your hair?

Kaelee
April 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Right now I'm trying to mix it up. I'm currently wearing a folded braid, sometimes I wear an English braid down my back, or a bun. As I learn more styles I can mix it up even more. Some days I find my hair just will not do whatever it is I want it to do and I have to resort to something else.

rowie
April 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Right now I'm trying to mix it up. I'm currently wearing a folded braid, sometimes I wear an English braid down my back, or a bun. As I learn more styles I can mix it up even more. Some days I find my hair just will not do whatever it is I want it to do and I have to resort to something else.

On those days where you wear your hair in a single English braid, have you had any issues with friction or breakage to your ends?

rowie
April 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm starting to think that maybe at different lengths it might be different. Like I've heard some people say that what worked was the single braid down the back helped him or her get through the evil phase of BSL and MBL abyss, but bunning will come in handy at classic and beyond. Or maybe their is a technique i'm missing when it comes to braiding such as oiling the braid. hmmmmmm i've got my thinking caps on but so far I haven't found an answer I like. hehehe

BambooBeauty
April 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM
i wear my hair in a french braid daily. i usuall put some oil in my the length. I tie the briad off with a pony tail holder i made from panty hose and then the remaining hair from the holder down I coat with oil to 'seal' my ends. I dont have any breakage.

meteor
April 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
You can grow as long as you want with braids! However, I find that at hip+ braiding just takes longer than bunning, even if you are fast. When I joined LHC I couldn't do any buns (but I braided a lot) and updos always hurt my head and were extremely awkward and uncomfortable, but now I got used to them and I love them! I don't see any difference in protective quality between buns and braids, except you get to tuck ends with buns and your hair is less likely to be caught on chairs, etc.
I really love braids because they show thickness and length while protecting hair.

neko_kawaii
April 12th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I find at BCL it is much faster to bun than to braid and that a loose braid ends up flopping around and getting in the way more at this length, so those factors and an effort to minimize damage from hair ties leads me to mostly bun, but my scalp complains if I exclusively bun so sometimes I wear a braid to sleep or during the day.

I'd say you can certainly grow to any length with no style other than a braid, just be aware of how you tie it off as you said to minimize thinning of the ends.

blondie9912
April 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I think for very long hair (hip+) buns would be much better because your ends are protected. For finer hair especially, braids are kind of risky, because I do feel that the shorter hairs that stick out around my neck/crown get damaged from friction when in a braid.

LadyCelestina
April 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I think unless you do something crazy with the braid tassel,it's quite possible.

Panth
April 12th, 2013, 01:14 PM
This:

You can grow as long as you want with braids!

I'd say you can certainly grow to any length with no style other than a braid, just be aware of how you tie it off as you said to minimize thinning of the ends.

is certainly not true for me. Past TBL, I cannot gain any more length without daily bunning. Once I start to sit on my hair, the extra wear and tear means the bottom wears off as fast as the top grows in.

Whether this is true for you ... you'll just have to find out. However, certainly for some people and particularly and more extreme lengths, buns and plaits are not equally protective.

(Btw, I wear a low English plait cinnabunned every day and have for about 1.5 years. Same style, same spot on the head, no problem. I've grown to knee and am still going, despite having fine hair. I think the whole thing about changing styles and moving the style around your head is ... over-rated. Yes, I have nape breakage, but that's from having to wear a cycle helmet, not from wearing the same bun every day.)

ladyfey
April 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
My hair is mid-calf and a braid just doesn't work for me. It is too in the way and gets way too much damage that way, it also ends up really tangly for some reason. Buns all the way for me. However, if your hair is waist or shorter, I'd think braids would be okay.

kaydana
April 12th, 2013, 01:44 PM
If you want to wear an english braid every day and are worried about damage, try making a paranda. One made out of a silky fabric or ribbon would be gentle against your hair and will protect the ends, as well as offering some protection to the hair in the braid from rubbing against stuff. You make them longer than your hair so all of the hair is in the braid and the tassel is just the paranda.

LakeofGlass
April 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I agree with Kaydana. The paranda/parandi is lovely. I use recycled sari silk, which is very soft. You can also use a hair fork or hair stick if you want to keep it in a bun yet not use a hair tie to secure it. This is what I've been doing. If you want to go out or stay at home and not do much to your hair, an idea would be using a hair scarf. It's good for those quick moments. I'd seen a few cute ideas from Super Kawaii Mama (a vintage-loving hair and beauty blogger). She has 2 videos on tying scarves and each one is both cute and elegant.

Personally I don't see a need to choose between the two. I love a good variety! It keeps the fun of having long hair alive. One week I may opt for variations of a braided bun, another week I may do mostly knotted buns, and here and there I may go for just a long braid if I'm at home. Layers end up giving me spikes.

rowie
April 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the contribution so far! :flower: I hope other people will find this useful.

It's nice to hear that the two of you believe it is possible. There is one way to find out and that is to try. I just thought I could be more educated about it before I take the plunge. Plus I like to hear from you all! :)

You can grow as long as you want with braids! However, I find that at hip+ braiding just takes longer than bunning, even if you are fast. When I joined LHC I couldn't do any buns (but I braided a lot) and updos always hurt my head and were extremely awkward and uncomfortable, but now I got used to them and I love them! I don't see any difference in protective quality between buns and braids, except you get to tuck ends with buns and your hair is less likely to be caught on chairs, etc.
I really love braids because they show thickness and length while protecting hair.

I find at BCL it is much faster to bun than to braid and that a loose braid ends up flopping around and getting in the way more at this length, so those factors and an effort to minimize damage from hair ties leads me to mostly bun, but my scalp complains if I exclusively bun so sometimes I wear a braid to sleep or during the day.

I definitely will try the Paranda, but only when I have time. Hmmm it will take me awhile before I can venture into this realm. Time for me to visit the Paranda thread. :)

If you want to wear an english braid every day and are worried about damage, try making a paranda. One made out of a silky fabric or ribbon would be gentle against your hair and will protect the ends, as well as offering some protection to the hair in the braid from rubbing against stuff. You make them longer than your hair so all of the hair is in the braid and the tassel is just the paranda.

rowie
April 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I agree with Kaydana. The paranda/parandi is lovely. I use recycled sari silk, which is very soft. You can also use a hair fork or hair stick if you want to keep it in a bun yet not use a hair tie to secure it. This is what I've been doing. If you want to go out or stay at home and not do much to your hair, an idea would be using a hair scarf. It's good for those quick moments. I'd seen a few cute ideas from Super Kawaii Mama (a vintage-loving hair and beauty blogger). She has 2 videos on tying scarves and each one is both cute and elegant.

Personally I don't see a need to choose between the two. I love a good variety! It keeps the fun of having long hair alive. One week I may opt for variations of a braided bun, another week I may do mostly knotted buns, and here and there I may go for just a long braid if I'm at home. Layers end up giving me spikes.

Good Points! I'll have to maybe at least think about doing a different style at least when it is convenient for me to do so. I'm just bad at being lazy and I find detangling and collecting my sheds daily a task that takes a lot of my time on a daily basis.

This:

is certainly not true for me. Past TBL, I cannot gain any more length without daily bunning. Once I start to sit on my hair, the extra wear and tear means the bottom wears off as fast as the top grows in.

Whether this is true for you ... you'll just have to find out. However, certainly for some people and particularly and more extreme lengths, buns and plaits are not equally protective.

(Btw, I wear a low English plait cinnabunned every day and have for about 1.5 years. Same style, same spot on the head, no problem. I've grown to knee and am still going, despite having fine hair. I think the whole thing about changing styles and moving the style around your head is ... over-rated. Yes, I have nape breakage, but that's from having to wear a cycle helmet, not from wearing the same bun every day.)

Glad to hear that the shifting of buns is "over-rated." I have worn my hair in a nautilus bun everyday for the past four months. So if anything, I can always go back and stick to my current routine. Thanks for the other points you made. It gave me some new insights.:)

jacqueline101
April 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I've heard the same theory you have about wearing your hair in a braid. I also think a good braid would be easier to maintain.

LakeofGlass
April 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM
In the end, what people prefer best is what is easiest to maintain. I don't believe anyone desperately needs to use a braid vs a bun, or the reversed being true. A bun secured with a good hair stick or hair fork can stay up for hours. Personally I find that having a braid hanging down gets in my way if I'm exercising or cooking. If I'm just relaxing while watching tv or reading a book, a braid that isn't bunned won't bother me. Like I said, it's all about preference.

JadeTigress
April 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Sort of on the same track, I just twist my hair up and throw it in a claw clip every day. My hair's a couple inches from bsl, but I can't get any of my buns to hold because of all my layers. It'd take a million pins to maybe make it work. Damage-wise, would a braid be better than the wadded up claw clip thing every day? My layers stick out whether it's in a braid or a clip, so they're pretty much exposed no matter what.

Gumball
April 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I'm also a braided cinnabun wearer and I'm going strong. It's now what I do 75% of the time, with the other 20% generally being a nautilus. Okay there are exceptions where 5% might be something else like a banded ponytail when I feel like showing off the length, but keeping it contained.

I put the braided bun up with one stick and it stays all day. I avoid wearing a braid down for prolonged periods of time because I'm afflicted with a nasty case of Chia Braid exacerbated by wurly/curly hair.

Definite perk to a braided cinnabun: The braid is generally not fuzzy by the end of the day. I can then take the stick out, replace the loose hair tie with a scrunchie and I'm suddenly already prepped for bed! Win win! Stylish AND lazy. :D

Kherome
April 12th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Win win! Stylish AND lazy. :D

Indeed! An excellent combo.

arcane
April 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Personally I don't think about it that much. I know my hair and its corser and relatively thick and I don't tend to get mechanical damage. I generally put my hair up however; normally in a bun or a ponytail (even though LHC frowns on it, I have no damage from it and I wore my hair in a ponytail daily for about 4 years straight). I tend to only wear braids occasionally because I find my ends get fluffy (not the rest of the braid though) and they continue to look stupid till my next wash. And since I'm now at 7-10 days between washing I generally don't do braids.

I 100% don't believe that wearing hair a certain way garantees growth for everybody. Once your hair is out its dead. I think wearing it so it minimizes damage for you is the key to preserving ones length. And that style/styles is different for everybody. I had hipish length hair throughout my childhood that when I got up in the morning would be knotted into a bob, and that I only wore down. It's all about what your hair can take, I'm assured by that and my own adult knowledge of my hair that I don't have to treat my hair like fine lace (and tbh if I had too I'd keep my hair short, I have no patience). But some people do need to be more protective, and what that entails for them will probably be different from the next person too.

Natalia
April 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Im a bunner all the way. I like no fuss and braid are ALOT more fuss for me if they arent for you go with it :). My only 2 cents to add about the braid its that it gets more wear and tear unless your very careful and dilligent about moving it. Sitting, in the car, it swings around, had the potential to get caught in doors and such (yeah ive done it :p), gets sat on if long enough. My braids turn into a frizzy mess in under 2 hours even if i am careful with it. I get highly annoyed with anything that requires that much attention. With a bun i comb it once put it up and im done till i shower and go to bed. Everyone is different though.

jasper
April 12th, 2013, 08:35 PM
My hair is much safer in a bun now that my braid hangs so long. At tailbone length, I have a braid that finds its way into whatever task I am doing in the kitchen, in my garden, in the art studio. I was planting seeds and noticed my braid training in the dirt! Also, for me, a bun is usually going to last all day, but a braid will get fuzzy and need to be redone more than once.

Kaelee
April 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM
On those days where you wear your hair in a single English braid, have you had any issues with friction or breakage to your ends?

No, but I don't think I would if I only wear one every once in a while (say once a week). If I wore one every day I would think that I would, but if I'm having those issues after one day I'd think my hair needs help other than a styling!

Schnee
April 13th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I agree with those who say it doesn't have to be this or the other, variation is good fun! ;) I still wear a single english braid a lot and have ankelish hair now. If I damp braid and ligthly oil it won't fuzz much and it's easy to pin up at need. I've got some taper and damage now, but it's more because of post partum shedding and serious negelect from having twins. ;)

Panth
April 13th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Glad to hear that the shifting of buns is "over-rated." I have worn my hair in a nautilus bun everyday for the past four months. So if anything, I can always go back and stick to my current routine. Thanks for the other points you made. It gave me some new insights.:)

Personally, I think this is true of most "LHC lore". It's great for trouble-shooting, as everyone chimes in with an opinion that helped for them so you get lots of options, including really uncommon or obscure ones. It's terrible for designing a routine, because by default the net total of everyone's opinions = the most extreme, complicated, time-consuming, worry-wart sort of routine. You get a routine that might coax the most fragile hair to grow, or might enable you to reach floor-length, but is completely excessive for someone who is growing more average hair to more (LHC) average lengths (or even my fine hair to quite extreme lengths).

If I was you, I'd just keep doing what I was doing. I'd cut out stuff that seemed too fussy for me. Personally, that's: washing that is more complicated than S&C or oil shampoo, any other treatments, any supplements, any handling more complicated than once-daily combing and plaiting, any every-day hairstyles more complicated than a braided cinnabun or a nautilus, swapping hairstyles daily/more than daily, swapping where I start my bun, etc. I spend (comparatively) very little time on my hair. I also spend (comparatively) very little money on it. My main investment is the most important one: TIME.

Then, if you notice a problem, you can come here, troubleshoot and correct for it. With very long lengths it may take quite a while for the correction to make a difference, but personally I would take that over spending every waking moment faffing with my hair.

Long hair (just like short hair) can be all about fuss, money, fancy products and complicated routines. But it doesn't have to be. And, I'm pretty sure most of the classic+ people here have very simple routines. Benign neglect is a (very!) viable hair growing method.

(Of course, if you want it to be about fancy products, complicated routines and billions of hairstyles, it can be... that is also good, but only if you want it!)

auburntressed
April 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM
For me, my braids get fuzzy in about ten minutes if I don't pin them up. On the other hand, updos have a tendency to make already excruciating headaches even worse. I typically braid my hair and then pin it up with a hairstick. Then I will, at various times throughout my work day, unpin my braid for a while, let it hang over my shoulder, then eventually pin it back up. It spends more time up than down, but having the option to just let the braid down for a while without undoing my entire hairstyle can be really helpful.

If you're worried about friction from clothing, I'd suggest paying attention to what sort of fabrics your shirts and eventually pants are made from. If they feel soft, then you're probably fine leaving it in a braid. If your shirt feels pretty rough, then maybe pin it up that day. :) It's like an extension of the silk pillowcase thing.

Rainbow2911
April 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I always bun during the day as that is the least bother, least knotty thing to do with my hair once it's past waist. My little sister on the other hand, wears her hair in a tailbone length braid everyday, and only every buns for gymnastics practice. Our hair is pretty similar aside from colour but we find different things annoying I guess!

millyaulait
April 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM
If I'm not wearing it down then it's always bunned. :)

It's easy, keeps any hair away from my face/neck, no dangly bits for the cat to swipe at, etc.

The only thing I worry about from this is the possibility of traction alopecia (?????) simply because my bun is in the same place every day.

Sometimes it's tight (I try not to do it tight, but sometimes I can't get the balance right with my hair fork :\) so I worry about that tightness at the scalp and if it's going to eventually wreak havok on my hair.

Sharysa
April 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Braids are no problem for me, since my hair is pretty coarse and thick. If I try to bun my hair, it's going to weigh on my scalp a LOT and it slips out anyway after a few hours, but braids (especially side-braids) work much better for me since they stay in place all day and lie on my torso pretty calmly.

The only problem is if I try to do a single braid down the back, because that makes my nape hairs snarl up like whoa as opposed to the average/manageable tangles that side braids or twin braids cause.

No idea why that happens, but I'm sticking to side braids and twin braids. I got from shoulder/collarbone length to mid-back in a year, so braiding definitely works for me. One thing I noticed was that I like doing different KINDS of braids, so that probably helps mitigate the damage from tying it off at the same place all the time.

chen bao jun
April 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Try a braid; I think you'll see if you are getting damage and if so, you can stop. My thoughts (I only have like apl hair--barely--so they are just thoughts)--you have to take more care to protect your braid tassel than you do with hair in a bun. but it can be done. A more serious issue would be to be sure to be aware of situations in a which a braid would be more dangerous than a bun. Around machinery and so forth is a no-brainer (but its surprising how often people don't think of this. A kitchen, for instance can be a very dangerous place with loose very long hair or a long plait hanging down). You also probably want your hair up or kept inside a coat or shirt in dodgy neighborhoods or situations. It's not only a question of avoiding possible hair thieves or spiteful people (I'm not sure that's all that common) but a braid hanging loose can leave you very defenseless against someone who is not after your hair, if you catch my drift. Sorry to bring up an unpleasant subject,but its better to be safe than sorry.

ibleedlipstick
April 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Wear your hair the way you want to. If a braid is most convenient/comfortable, wear it in a braid. Wait a month or two, check your ends, and if you see damage then rethink your hair strategy. I don't really believe that wearing it in a braid instead of a bun is going to help you get to your goal length, but it probably won't hinder it. Hair grows differently for different people, and it will damage differently for different people. It all depends on your lifestyle.

Naiadryade
April 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM
For what it's worth, most of the people I've known IRL who have quite long hair (hip to classic, never known anyone longer) wear their hair in a single english braid almost exclusively. Except for one old woman with hip-length hair, who always always always wears her hair in two english braids. (The silver fades into blonde at the ends, it is quite beautiful.)

Wahinee
April 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I use shea butter or something equally heavy to protect my ends and the hairs sticking out. I braid my hair wet and then put A LOT of shea butter on the ends and run the rest over the length of my braid. It makes it a lot smoother

My routine is wash, wet braid and let it dry in a braid over an entire day & night, the next day I wear my hair in a bun, then wash and repeat

karenpetal
April 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Rowie

I have gone back and forth between various dos at different lengths - similar to you I like to have a routine - mainly for simplicity. I started with doing half ups since I could not get all my back hair in a clean ponytail - then for the longest time I wore a simple ponytail either at the nape or right behind my nose. As hair got little longer (between shoulder and APL) I found buns to be most effective (simple bun using a stick or a protective wraparound).

But as it grew longer than APL (between APL and BSL) buns got too heavy so I moved to braids. For me I prefer the French Braid the best as it helps tuck all hair in and gives a clean sleek look. I Usually lightly oil my hair (coconut) before braiding to avoid fly-aways. Also with a french braid it is easy to tuck it in (especially since where I worked at that time had a no long hair for safety reasons)

Hope this helps - great going on growth !

Latte Lady
April 17th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I don't see much difference, damage wise, in bunning or braiding my hair. When I bun my hair I get damage if I wear the same style in the same place, every day. I don't rearrange my hair throughout the day though. Too fussy for even me.
I get slightly more damage with braiding, but not much more. I braided my hair for years before I learned to bun. I got damage from rubbing against rough clothing but nothing terrible. I got the most damage from tying off my ends in the same place. Once I learned to switch that up I saw my ends start to thicken up. So some days I braid to the very end and some days I leave a large tassel.
I tend to favor bunning over braiding now since I don't have to redo my buns. My braids got fuzzy, no matter what. I was always re-combing and re-braiding to keep them looking nice.

Miss Maisie
April 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM
My almost BSL baby fine hair revolts in braids. It slips out of even the tightest braids in no time. It's buns for me, every day. I change up the type (top knot, lazy wrap, cinnabun, etc), but buns it is!

torrilin
April 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM

I think style rotation is mostly a big deal for the easy and common first updos. Stuff like ponytails, tight cinnabuns and the like. In fine and slippery hair, it can be really tempting to just go tighter so it will stay up, and that works up to a point. But eventually it will cause breakage and get counter-productive. If you get in the habit of rotating your styles and switching things up early on, you'll be less likely to get stuck in a trap of face lift tight hair and breakage layers. Rotating doesn't have to be a big huge deal either. Ponytail, cinnabun, braid is sufficient rotation for my fine, slippery and fragile hair to go from shoulderish to past BSL.

I also kind of think "bun vs braid" isn't all that clear cut, as you're kind of pointing out here. A lot of comfortable and practical updos are based on braids. Another large chunk aren't. My single braid is edging towards waist length, and leaving it loose is starting to get in the way. Loose twin braids are a touch longer, and I definitely pay attention to how I drape them so they don't catch on door knobs or dangle in a candle flame. But sticking them into an updo is pretty straightforward.

I do tend to find that for my hair, braid based styles are a LOT more durable. They can handle more wear and tear.

GeoJ
April 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
My daughter wears a single braid nearly every day and it has not caused any noticeable damage. Her hair is a couple of inches past classic now (would be somewhere between hip and tailbone on an adult of my size). Rarely I use paranda with her braids. Usually I tie it off with soft satin hair ties I bought in India (I have never seen these ties in the US). I do vary her braids. Most often is the typical 3 strand braid, sometimes 5 strand or 4 strand braids, rarely twist braids or herringbone braids & braids of braids (like 5 different 3 stranded braids that are then braided together into a 5 strand braid). Usually I start at the nape, sometimes I start with one or two Dutch, French, or fairytale braids. For some activities she wears buns, but that is not often. Sometimes I do crown braids on her also.

Note: Now that DD's hair is past classic, I prefer braids that eat up more length, when I get the time to.

I once grew my hair from near waist to classic length with braids (typically a single nape 3 strand braid). Later I grew from hip to upper thigh mostly twisting my hair up and holding it with a claw clip. What made the most difference for my hair was learning about coconut oil. My hair loves coconut oil.

Panth
April 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I think style rotation is mostly a big deal for the easy and common first updos. Stuff like ponytails, tight cinnabuns and the like. In fine and slippery hair, it can be really tempting to just go tighter so it will stay up, and that works up to a point. But eventually it will cause breakage and get counter-productive. If you get in the habit of rotating your styles and switching things up early on, you'll be less likely to get stuck in a trap of face lift tight hair and breakage layers. Rotating doesn't have to be a big huge deal either. Ponytail, cinnabun, braid is sufficient rotation for my fine, slippery and fragile hair to go from shoulderish to past BSL.

I also kind of think "bun vs braid" isn't all that clear cut, as you're kind of pointing out here. A lot of comfortable and practical updos are based on braids. Another large chunk aren't. My single braid is edging towards waist length, and leaving it loose is starting to get in the way. Loose twin braids are a touch longer, and I definitely pay attention to how I drape them so they don't catch on door knobs or dangle in a candle flame. But sticking them into an updo is pretty straightforward.

I do tend to find that for my hair, braid based styles are a LOT more durable. They can handle more wear and tear.

I should have clarified - I was speaking simply in terms of loose plaits vs. some sort of bun - i.e. off the nape of the neck vs. not. For me, there is a big difference between the two - loose plaits results in a false terminal at TBL, buns result in knee length and still going. However, all of my buns are plaited ... so it is not technically an absolute "bun only" situation.

Also, I forgot about ponytails. I don't do them at all ... so I forgot. I agree, if you are making your plaits or buns ponytail-based then moving them around might be more necessary.

(I'm not sure I agree with you about rotation, though. If you're doing plaits/ponytails/buns tight enough to cause a face-lift and breakage, it's the tightness that is the problem not that you don't rotate where you place your plait/ponytail/bun. The solution is to do the style looser (or to learn new styles that stay up without needing such tightness). Rotating where you place the style won't fix anything, it'll just spread the damage around. Maybe that's fine for BSL, but it'll probably come back and bite you if you try to get to classic+. You'll have to come up with another solution (i.e. looser styles) and then spend ages growing out the damage. Better to just target the problem correctly to start with. (And I say this as someone who, like you, has fine, slippery and fragile hair.))

LakeofGlass
April 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Wear your hair the way you want to. If a braid is most convenient/comfortable, wear it in a braid. Wait a month or two, check your ends, and if you see damage then rethink your hair strategy. I don't really believe that wearing it in a braid instead of a bun is going to help you get to your goal length, but it probably won't hinder it. Hair grows differently for different people, and it will damage differently for different people. It all depends on your lifestyle.

This is pretty much what I was saying, lol. People have different hair types, therefore a braid only or a bun only can't be said to be the best. One person's hair may damage easily, in spite of using a good hair care routine, while another's may be naturally more strong. There's also whether or not one's scalp can handle the weight of a bun or braided bun. There are plenty of non-damaging styles. All one has to do is choose. :)

torrilin
April 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you about rotation, though. If you're doing plaits/ponytails/buns tight enough to cause a face-lift and breakage, it's the tightness that is the problem not that you don't rotate where you place your plait/ponytail/bun. The solution is to do the style looser (or to learn new styles that stay up without needing such tightness)

I think we do actually agree.

To me rotation involves changing the style from day to day. It can also include changing the placement, but the key factor is to do different hairstyles regularly. A lot of styles that are easy to do like ponytails and cinnabuns are very tempting to do tightly (especially on shortish, slippery hair). If you're not doing a tight style every day, it will reduce or prevent breakage... and hopefully provide a chance for a new longhair to work out styles that do not need to be so tight. A lot of new posters seem convinced that updos must cause breakage, and it seems very common for them to only know two: ponytail and cinnabun.

I also tend to feel that the good habit of wearing your hair contained in some way (whether a bun, braided bun, braids or a half up) is important. It doesn't have to be perfectly protective. The point is to do your hair, and not mess with it after. If you feel compelled to fuss, fuss over learning new hairstyles instead of detangling or poking at your ends.

As my hair has grown past waist, I find for me, rotation is less important. A Celtic knot bun is easy, fast, looks good, and works with my bike helmet. Win all around if my hair is loose. And single or twin braids are easy to bun or clip up. I don't think I'd have such an easy time with my hair now tho if I didn't have the habits formed when my hair was shorter.

gracenotes
April 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I think if you're trying to wear the same style every day, a single braid is probably the gentlest way to to. As long as you keep the braid from getting stuck in things, it should be fine. I agree with BambooBeauty about oiling the ends. I do that every time my hair is braided and it keeps the ends soft and protected. :)

Panth
April 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I think we do actually agree.

To me rotation involves changing the style from day to day. It can also include changing the placement, but the key factor is to do different hairstyles regularly. A lot of styles that are easy to do like ponytails and cinnabuns are very tempting to do tightly (especially on shortish, slippery hair). If you're not doing a tight style every day, it will reduce or prevent breakage... and hopefully provide a chance for a new longhair to work out styles that do not need to be so tight. A lot of new posters seem convinced that updos must cause breakage, and it seems very common for them to only know two: ponytail and cinnabun.

I also tend to feel that the good habit of wearing your hair contained in some way (whether a bun, braided bun, braids or a half up) is important. It doesn't have to be perfectly protective. The point is to do your hair, and not mess with it after. If you feel compelled to fuss, fuss over learning new hairstyles instead of detangling or poking at your ends.

As my hair has grown past waist, I find for me, rotation is less important. A Celtic knot bun is easy, fast, looks good, and works with my bike helmet. Win all around if my hair is loose. And single or twin braids are easy to bun or clip up. I don't think I'd have such an easy time with my hair now tho if I didn't have the habits formed when my hair was shorter.

Maybe we do and don't agree. :flower:

I agree that tight ponytail and/or a tight cinnabun in the same spot day after day would probably cause breakage in most hairtypes.

I'm not convinced on the rotation issue - either style or placement. I wear a low English plait bunned into a cinnabun every day. I don't change my plait to a different one or to no plait, I don't change my bun style, I don't change the placement of my plait/bun, I don't even change the tools I use to keep it up (spinpins). For me that's fine. It doesn't cause any problems. So, as I said for me rotation is overrated.

(I also agree about not fussing with your hair being key.)

As for me, I have a fairly easy time with my hair. But, unlike you, I never learnt to do anything more complicated than a low English plait until it was past TBL. So, now I find learning any other plaits or buns incredibly difficult or impossible. So... I just don't. But, that also equals no-fuss hair...

itsMEowKat
April 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I see that braids seem to get more wear, and damage. Do any of you feel this also applies to loose braids while sleeping? And for those of you that do, how then do you keep your hair when you sleep to prevent tangling and damage?

Panth
April 19th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I see that braids seem to get more wear, and damage. Do any of you feel this also applies to loose braids while sleeping? And for those of you that do, how then do you keep your hair when you sleep to prevent tangling and damage?

I think it definitely applies when sleeping - my plaits would be a fuzzy nightmare after sleeping with them. To eliminate this, I plait and then wear a sleep 'stocking' (i.e. tube of silk satin sewn to a wide elastic hairband). Well, actually I don't plait especially for sleep, I just have a plaited cinnabun all day, let down the bun, tie off the plait tassel and go from there.

However, it is also a matter of *relative* damage and the point when something becomes too difficult, painful, fussy or ugly for *you*. So, buns > plaits > loose (for most people) when awake, but then buns are fairly easy to learn and for most people wearing buns while awake is not very painful or ugly. But, it's often a whole different ballpark when sleeping. Most people, I think, find buns too painful or uncomfortable to sleep on. So, it doesn't really matter if buns are better than plaits for sleeping - if you can't wear buns to sleep, the difference is moot.

torrilin
April 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Maybe we do and don't agree. :flower:

Sounds reasonable to me :).

It seems to be easier for most people to learn new tricks when their hair is relatively short, say BSL or less. And really, an awful lot of new tricks work out to "new braids". Lace braiding is the one I wish I'd learnt in my teens rather than last year. Most materials about learning braiding present lace braiding as some difficult thing, and on shortish hair it's quite easy... and it opens up scads of hairstyle options.

I don't need or use a gazillion options every day. But it definitely helps to have a toolkit of styles and techniques. For example, I do sleep in buns sometimes. The buns I can make that are flat enough to go under a bike helmet are also flat enough to sleep in. And a bun on top of my head works for sleeping too. When I had hand surgery last summer, I spent nearly a week straight in twin braids (the same ones!) and then something like a month sleeping in buns because I couldn't braid my own hair. Easy. And I'm sure you can imagine how glad I was to be back to able to braid!

Panth
April 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Sounds reasonable to me :).

It seems to be easier for most people to learn new tricks when their hair is relatively short, say BSL or less. And really, an awful lot of new tricks work out to "new braids". Lace braiding is the one I wish I'd learnt in my teens rather than last year. Most materials about learning braiding present lace braiding as some difficult thing, and on shortish hair it's quite easy... and it opens up scads of hairstyle options.

I don't need or use a gazillion options every day. But it definitely helps to have a toolkit of styles and techniques. For example, I do sleep in buns sometimes. The buns I can make that are flat enough to go under a bike helmet are also flat enough to sleep in. And a bun on top of my head works for sleeping too. When I had hand surgery last summer, I spent nearly a week straight in twin braids (the same ones!) and then something like a month sleeping in buns because I couldn't braid my own hair. Easy. And I'm sure you can imagine how glad I was to be back to able to braid!

Oh, definitely. At mid-thigh, I can't really learn ANYTHING new. I can't french or dutch plait (on me). I have managed to learn 2-strand rope braids, but can't do lace braids or multi-strand braids. My hair is longer than my arms now, so the dividing and re-dividing associated with plaits just makes them impossible unless I really know what I'm doing.

Also, having worn my hair in a centre parting my entire life, I now can't persuade it to lie any other way.

Learning new stuff would be so much easier with shorter hair. But, then, I'm fairly lazy about my hair so even if I did cut shorter I probably wouldn't learn many new styles. So, english plait, cinnabun, nautilus and faux crown braid it is. That's enough for me.

catamonica
April 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
I got longer hair from wearing my hair up. I only braid at night. Probably a cloth tie would be better than a pony tail tie. If you use
water or oil on the end, you might not have to use a tie. I have used water & the end stays. But oil probably works better.

Selkie-
May 30th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Personally, I think this is true of most "LHC lore". It's great for trouble-shooting, as everyone chimes in with an opinion that helped for them so you get lots of options, including really uncommon or obscure ones. It's terrible for designing a routine, because by default the net total of everyone's opinions = the most extreme, complicated, time-consuming, worry-wart sort of routine. You get a routine that might coax the most fragile hair to grow, or might enable you to reach floor-length, but is completely excessive for someone who is growing more average hair to more (LHC) average lengths (or even my fine hair to quite extreme lengths).

If I was you, I'd just keep doing what I was doing. I'd cut out stuff that seemed too fussy for me. Personally, that's: washing that is more complicated than S&C or oil shampoo, any other treatments, any supplements, any handling more complicated than once-daily combing and plaiting, any every-day hairstyles more complicated than a braided cinnabun or a nautilus, swapping hairstyles daily/more than daily, swapping where I start my bun, etc. I spend (comparatively) very little time on my hair. I also spend (comparatively) very little money on it. My main investment is the most important one: TIME.

Then, if you notice a problem, you can come here, troubleshoot and correct for it. With very long lengths it may take quite a while for the correction to make a difference, but personally I would take that over spending every waking moment faffing with my hair.

Long hair (just like short hair) can be all about fuss, money, fancy products and complicated routines. But it doesn't have to be. And, I'm pretty sure most of the classic+ people here have very simple routines. Benign neglect is a (very!) viable hair growing method.

(Of course, if you want it to be about fancy products, complicated routines and billions of hairstyles, it can be... that is also good, but only if you want it!)

I know this is resurrecting an old thread but I just have to say the above post is brilliant! So wise and such good advice. :)

0xalis
April 28th, 2021, 02:29 AM
I want to necromance this thread because I've been thinking on this topic.

Back when I was on instagram, a lot of people in the longhair community there say they primarily wear braids as their protective style, and many of them have healthy hair.
I've also met and seen people with notably long hair (think classic to knee length) who primarily wore their hair DOWN. :confused: Which is crazy to me, but hey, seeing is believing!

I figure something is better than nothing. Buns are kindof annoying for me, because I tend to lay down a lot during the day. I also get a lot of enjoyment out of braiding.
Lately I've been only really wearing my hair down or in a low ponytail, but it's not that long right now.
I feel like braiding will be less damaging in the long run compared to having it loose all the time, and if I'm not willing to bun consistently then I think braids are the obvious solution.
Something I've learned is that braids can be secured with very small claw clips, and that seems to be less damaging long term than even the most gentle elastics.

My hair also doesn't seem to get that damaged from being rubbed against cloth. I've been forgoing my satin pillowcase out of pure laziness (I don't use pillows so I have to lay it down every night, lately I haven't had the energy)
and despite that my hair does not have any extra damage than it did before. All hair is different, but mine seems particularly resilient despite the thin strands. I think my hair personally would stand up quite well to braiding.
I used to wear my hair down every single day as a kid and I still grew to nearly hip length with rather healthy hair. I can't say for certain exactly how healthy it was, but the ends were not tapered and it was very shiny.
And even though my goal length is classic, I'm willing to deal with not getting there if it's impossible without daily buns because comfort comes first for me always.

Tinyponies
April 28th, 2021, 03:05 AM
Hey,
I would love to know what makes the difference regarding whether hair can stand up to being down, or in a plait.

My hair as it is now is in a bun 99+% of the time, I treat it as gently as I can, and yet the texture (to me) comes across as somewhat ragged.

I too wore my hair down all the time up until I was about 20, and it was mostly around mid-back length. But I didn’t get compliments about it ever, where my friend with 3a-b ringlets always would, now looking back I think it’s my natural texture that actually is undesirable in popular culture, and question - was it damage, or my texture that my Mum hated and would call “rats tails”?

I digress like this because I have held this belief that when I was younger my hair could stand being loose, where now it would instantly be matted, and soon after that be dry dry dry and split to bits.

Only a few years back before finding LHC, I was trying to grow my hair long and getting matted hair every day even with plaits, and in tears because of having to rip through them to sort it out and feeling so many hairs breaking.

But what actually would have changed regarding the texture or resilience of my hair between age 15 and 40? I think my hair *is* more fragile now, each hair finer and also more kinky/wavy than before. I also used to blow-dry and wash with basic cheap products (presuming they would have had silicones in them but I don’t know when silicones became widely used in hair products?) where now I read labels and choose not to use them.

But this week I met a woman maybe in her 30s with an upper-thigh length loose plait over one shoulder, which looked in absolutely perfect condition. How to explain it?

Also lifestyle must come into it, my life is a lot of hard outdoor tree work and dusty building work and I’m cleaning for a job, but I don’t think that explains why my hair behaves like it does these days.

Auksaplauke
April 28th, 2021, 03:10 AM
I like braids more, more confortable.

Bat
April 28th, 2021, 03:21 AM
I can't braid my own hair. I can braid others but my own I'm all thumbs! But I like how braids look over buns, so I'll probably be a braider and use braid waves as an excuse as to why my hair looks 2b

foreveryours
April 28th, 2021, 03:27 AM
I've only had one kind of bun work for me so far and that was a BRAIDED bun!

BuddhaBelle
April 28th, 2021, 03:34 AM
So I assume the preference of bunning for longer hair is just out of practicality, because I imagine braiding classic+ length hair would take ages!

I love my braids but my biggest worry is they whip around a lot, and I feel like it may be scraping against my back and damaging my ends, especially at the end of the day and the braid ends up looking quite loose...

sipnsun
April 28th, 2021, 07:26 AM
I love braids but mine get so shredded that it looks bad so I usually put it in a bun. When I started my journey I primarily wore my hair down but could never get to the lengths I wanted probably due to a combination of having fragile hair, using heat, bleach and mechanical damage. I get tired of bunning but so far it's working so I'll keep doing it for now. I really think it depends on hair type because a friend of mine has thick, bleached hip length hair that she is rough with. She flat irons almost daily and rips a brush through it. Rarely wears it up and never braids it. Her hair is beautiful and grows so fast she has it trimmed and highlighted every 6 weeks. I wouldn't have any hair on my head if I treated mine like that.

baanoo
April 28th, 2021, 07:52 AM
I like both for daily wear. If I were to guess, I'd say that I bun my hair about 3/4 of the time and braid it the remaining 1/4.

Hairkay
April 28th, 2021, 08:05 AM
I do both, it gets plaited/braided or twisted then bunned. It's harder to do a bun otherwise.

Finda
April 28th, 2021, 10:00 AM
0xalis, I also wear both, but I also believe that it depends on the hair type with what you can get away with. Like sipnsun, I have friends who don't particularly care for their hair. They dye it, wear it down a lot, use heat and still their hair is waist+ and really beautiful. I have never dyed my hair, have never used heat but have also worn it down a lot and I was not able to grow it longer than apl. By the time I reached bsl, I had so much breakage that it left me no choice but cutting back to apl.

I can only bun comfortably since my hair has reached midback/waist. Before that I mainly wore english braids. It gave enough protection that my hair managed to pass the bsl line. But wearing english braids for an entire day produces lots of tangles, especially in the neck area for me, so I spend a lot of time detangling in the evening. I cycle to work daily and I wear my hair in an english braid for the hour long ride and then bun it at work. Today I was late, so left the braid in when I arrived and then had terrible matted hair by the afternoon. In a bun, the hair is as good as new in the evening. When I'm on the sofa in the evening I wear it in a braid or in a high bun.

I would keep an eye on the hair and see how it's doing. If you have it in braids or even down and it's still growing to your satisfaction, it's of course okay to do so. Should you start noticing breakage you can still evaluate and then decide what's more important: Length (which would then need to include buns) or shorter hair you can wear any way you want.

JasminxCat
April 28th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Buns most of the time, braids when my scalp needs a break from the tension I get from buns sometimes

bparnell75
April 28th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Buns most of the time, braids when my scalp needs a break from the tension I get from buns sometimes

Yeah I hear you I often have to take down a bun because of a nagging headache. Braids can still get in my way during the day. I wear them mostly at night.

ArtOfNoot
April 28th, 2021, 12:52 PM
My hair tends to get knotted more when I do buns, Right where the bun touched my scalp usually. So I figure that the damage from friction on my ends is less then the damage of having to detangle my hair twice a day. I have braids daily and buns for special occasions or when I want to look nice.

wo
April 28th, 2021, 01:21 PM
I wear my hair 90% down, and I've grown it out to tailbone length that way. It doesn't tangle and it's hard to find any splits or damage.

Braids absolutely tear up my hair. Sectioning in the first place is a huge chore I have to do very gently to not cause breakage, and then it mats together so bad from the friction of rubbing against my clothes. I have to undo even a single basic braid with inch by inch untangling even if it's only been in for an hour.

Buns are fine for my hair, no tangling or anything, I just don't like the look on me and they squash my curls till it's washed again. I use them mostly for workouts or being overdue for washing. I only do cinnabuns though, because other kinds with sectioning or loops and stuff does cause tangling.

Vetinari
April 28th, 2021, 02:59 PM
i wear my hair a mix of down, braided, and in buns, and it grows pretty well... i think for me personally the thing that damages it most is ponytail holders, but i still use them sometimes because i kind of like the faded fairy-tale ends look :)

Vetinari
April 28th, 2021, 03:01 PM
oh, also, you can easily tie off a braid with just a ribbon or a bit of string! much less damaging than ponytail holders imo. basically, you fold the ribbon in half, position the folded part a few inches up from the bottom of your braid, and then attach each side of the ribbon to a section of braid (so two sections are hair + ribbon and one section is just hair), continue braiding normally, and then tie it off

lakhesis
April 28th, 2021, 03:15 PM
I like the look of the braid more, but only until it decides to shred :D

I used to wear a bun for work daily as it just looked more professional and lasted over 10 hours easily. I am not prone to getting headaches from it, so even now I wear buns more often. Oh, and I definitely consider buns more protective, as it doesn't rub against the clothing and the ends are contained (but I braid my hair for sleeping, I can't sleep with a bun).

0xalis
April 28th, 2021, 10:47 PM
Hey,
I would love to know what makes the difference regarding whether hair can stand up to being down, or in a plait.

My hair as it is now is in a bun 99+% of the time, I treat it as gently as I can, and yet the texture (to me) comes across as somewhat ragged.

I too wore my hair down all the time up until I was about 20, and it was mostly around mid-back length. But I didn’t get compliments about it ever, where my friend with 3a-b ringlets always would, now looking back I think it’s my natural texture that actually is undesirable in popular culture, and question - was it damage, or my texture that my Mum hated and would call “rats tails”?

I digress like this because I have held this belief that when I was younger my hair could stand being loose, where now it would instantly be matted, and soon after that be dry dry dry and split to bits.

Only a few years back before finding LHC, I was trying to grow my hair long and getting matted hair every day even with plaits, and in tears because of having to rip through them to sort it out and feeling so many hairs breaking.

But what actually would have changed regarding the texture or resilience of my hair between age 15 and 40? I think my hair *is* more fragile now, each hair finer and also more kinky/wavy than before. I also used to blow-dry and wash with basic cheap products (presuming they would have had silicones in them but I don’t know when silicones became widely used in hair products?) where now I read labels and choose not to use them.

But this week I met a woman maybe in her 30s with an upper-thigh length loose plait over one shoulder, which looked in absolutely perfect condition. How to explain it?

Also lifestyle must come into it, my life is a lot of hard outdoor tree work and dusty building work and I’m cleaning for a job, but I don’t think that explains why my hair behaves like it does these days.

I honestly have no idea why! I do know that I have very low porosity hair, and low porosity hair tends to stand up to wear and tear quite a bit better than medium and low porosity. But that might just be one part of the equation.

0xalis
April 28th, 2021, 10:54 PM
My hair does tangle easily, but that doesn't seem to cause damage by itself.
I usually just leave the tangles alone if I'm wearing it down until I'm ready to actually put in the work to detangle it. I don't get MASSIVE tangles often though, just a lot of small ones.
I have mostly straight hair, but I know a lot of curlies ONLY detangle when wet and just accept that tangles are a part of life the rest of the time. Despite the difference in hair texture, following this advice has seemed to work for me too.
I do think that braiding will cut down on tangles to some extent though, especially as it gets longer. At this point in my life I cannot imagine leaving long hair completely down on a windy day! I always keep a claw clip and some ties in the car as backup plans.

soldierssong
April 29th, 2021, 12:14 PM
I used to bun 99% of the time, and that would work for me, but after I cut my damage off and lost 5-7 inches, I started braiding and or veiling most of the time. The veil makes for a sort of paranada, (as well as energy protector) and then the braid helps just in general. Once my hair gets a little longer I'll probably go back to bun. Just a low, loose bun with a claw clip is my go to)

ExpectoPatronum
April 29th, 2021, 12:31 PM
I bun 90% of the time. However, due to a...swoopy owl at my job, I can't wear buns since he likes to go after them. Braids are safer when I need to clean owl enclosures :) But then I work with a deer who likes to try to eat hair ties. I can't win :lol:

Zesty
April 29th, 2021, 05:58 PM
I'm team bun for sure. My hair is bunned the vast majority of the time, including at night when I wear it clipped on the top of my head. Buns keep it completely out of the way in most situations and I don't have to redo my hair during the day. Braids are almost as cumbersome as hair down (at my length anyway) and I can see it shredding and rubbing on things and if I think about it too hard it just makes me shudder:

Of course that's my opinion/preference and my hair. I do generally believe that buns are more protective than braids -- but it's hard to make blanket statements when everyone's hair and circumstances are so different. And furthermore, even if they aren't as protective, who says you have to pick the most protective option at every turn? We have to enjoy ourselves and be comfortable too.

I bun 90% of the time. However, due to a...swoopy owl at my job, I can't wear buns since he likes to go after them. Braids are safer when I need to clean owl enclosures :) But then I work with a deer who likes to try to eat hair ties. I can't win :lol:

What a unique conundrum! :lol:

AnyaWK
April 29th, 2021, 08:31 PM
I like to braid my hair, especially before I go to sleep, its easier to comb out in the morning, when I go out I still keep my hair loose with minimal styling, but my hair is not that long yet so....

Feral_
April 30th, 2021, 12:27 AM
My thoughts.. I prefer braids because it looks like I actually have hair, whereas buns it could be any length. Also buns I have to get just right or I feel them on my scalp. Overall I like the look of braids and they look good on all ages. Buns can look a bit severe sometimes - like “here’s my face!”... I think they look good on others rather than myself... probably best not analyse that :hmm:

Braids hold so much better now I’m NWSO, they shred less. Buns hold well also but I have a permanent little hair kink at the top of my crown from my sleep bun satin scrunchie. I usually bun at night for bed and braid during the day, maybe 2 days out of the week I’ll wear a bun. Also it depends on the weather - if it’s raining, buns are no good as my jacket hood rubs over it, so a braid tucked in is preferable. I’m looking forward to doing a braided bun when my hair gets longer though :)
———

‘Ponies, your environment might be affecting your hair being outside a lot, but you’re doing the best things for it wearing protective styles and coverings. Before I discovered LHC mine was loose and I just wore a beanie outside - hence the ‘environmental’ look to my hair :rolleyes: Also look at your overall stress, diet (eating enough essential fatty acids) and hydration. That said your hair looks lovely to me in the photos you’ve posted :flower:

JasminxCat
April 30th, 2021, 12:35 AM
My thoughts.. I prefer braids because it looks like I actually have hair, whereas buns it could be any length. Also buns I have to get just right or I feel them on my scalp. Overall I like the look of braids and they look good on all ages. Buns can look a bit severe sometimes - like “here’s my face!”... I think they look good on others rather than myself... probably best not analyse that :hmm:

Braids hold so much better now I’m NWSO, they shred less. Buns hold well also but I have a permanent little hair kink at the top of my crown from my sleep bun satin scrunchie. I usually bun at night for bed and braid during the day, maybe 2 days out of the week I’ll wear a bun. Also it depends on the weather - if it’s raining, buns are no good as my jacket hood rubs over it, so a braid tucked in is preferable. I’m looking forward to doing a braided bun when my hair gets longer though :)
———

‘Ponies, your environment might be affecting your hair being outside a lot, but you’re doing the best things for it wearing protective styles and coverings. Before I discovered LHC mine was loose and I just wore a beanie outside - hence the ‘environmental’ look to my hair :rolleyes: Also look at your overall stress, diet (eating enough essential fatty acids) and hydration. That said your hair looks lovely to me in the photos you’ve posted :flower:

I totally get what you mean by that ;)
I prefer buns over braids because it's more comfortable. So if I do happen to wear my hair in a bun, it's usually just for comfort or to bed. I feel like my face is like HELLO EVERYONE when I go out with it in a bun. I guess it's an insecurity thing for me

louisaann
April 30th, 2021, 08:23 AM
This thread is a bit old, but I still wanted to answer it in case other users are looking for answers to the same questions as OP :D

I know that buns are technically more protective, especially of the ends, but personally I have never achieved results with buns like I have with braids. I have tried all sorts of buns in different shapes, styles, and locations, most held in place by medium sized smooth claw clips. It's convenient, but my hair usually feels more dull and dry after I wear them. I also don't like the pressure on my scalp. I like to wear one long braid, and I use a very light hold natural gel to keep the stray hairs in place and from rubbing on my back. I usually do it when my hair is wet right out of the shower. My hair has never grown faster or been in such good condition! Everyone's hair is different though, you might have to play around a bit to find what works!

Braids-
1) As I mentioned before, a light hold gel (many users here love aloe vera gel, I adore Garnier Fructis' jelly shaping curl treat) should help to keep stray hairs in place and prevent rubbing. This will reduce breakage.
2)I use fold over elastic ties, and I adore them. Make sure they're smoothed out when you tie them, and they will be very kind to your hair.
Buns-
1)You probably don't need to shift the placement of your buns more than once a day, but you might prefer to if you feel pressure on your scalp. Just make sure they aren't in the same place every day for weeks!
2)If you are careful and use tools without catches or sharp edges, I wouldn't worry too much about breakage. Just about everything you can do to your hair causes breakage, including things that are necessary like washing and detangling. Hair sticks and toys provide far more benefit than harm.

Hope this can help!

Cg
April 30th, 2021, 08:54 AM
This somewhat depends on your hair qualities. Shorter hair holds braids better than buns, since you do need a certain length for buns. Past fingertip braiding is cumbersome -- and for us sloths, too much effort. Also, blunt hemlines make more even width braids than layered hair.

yulia396
April 30th, 2021, 10:42 AM
Well, during the growth process, your hair will get a some breakage anyway. All of this depends especially on your hairtype - if it's very thin, perhaps you need to be more careful with how you secure braids. Mine is rather thick/normal, so I just use regular hairties (without metal, of course). Overall, your hair might break more if unbraided and let loose. I prefer to wear the ends I have now as a shield and cut my hair when I reach TBL or classic, to not sacrifice my fresh ends and length. On the other hand, still trying to make buns comfy and pretty for daily wear...

But yes, I definitely say braids make your hair grow faster. No one is the same and different things work for each person. I just know the braid thingy by personal experience (might not work for you, but it worked like a charm for me and many other people).

I started growing my hair since 2017 when I got to uni (started with BSL-ish). Microtrims only! At the end of 2019 I had BCL hair and cut it back to BSL. So in 2017-2019, most of the time I wore my hair down, only braided at home(and not always - like 35% of the time). The ends were a bit see through. I cut it off in like December 2019 to BSL and I maintained that length till October with regular trims. But in October I decided to grow my hair again, as long as I can! So I stopped cutting and wore BRAIDS EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I seriously wore them religiously, 2 pigtails (I was at home because of quarantine, so who cares?) My hair, in October, was BSL, now in April it's WL! I'm 163 and that's crazy growth to me, last time I grew out without braids it took me a year! I think braids make the process faster. I was able to compress 1 year of growth into 6 months.

Tight and wet braids (it has to be tight, but still comfortable) make my hair grow like a weed. Also, eating well and lots of hydration helps. I'm Caucasian, but I followed this advice and it definitely works on any hairtype: https://youtu.be/ycAfEjJbIj4

Though I didn't leave mine in for a whole week without redoing. I decided to redo my braids every morning and at night I put my hair up in a bun. Lately I'm wearing braids for sleep, too, I find them comfier these days. I also oiled my ends very single day - very important! The oil protects the ends. Lately I'm wearing braids for sleep, too, I find them comfier these days.

Regarding the shorter ends, it's more likely that with braids they'll reach the rest of your length. Kinda like layers that need to be grown out. For this, you can fold your braid then claw it up with a regular hairclaw or tie it up with a scrunchie, so that your ends are faced upwards and aren't rubbing against anything. This is the safest way to wear braids...but maybe just at home:-)

Also, be careful with the parting. Switch it up from time to time because you don't wanna put tension on one side of your scalp.

Just as a little extra.. I did read somewhere that hair likes being pulled (as long as it's not aggressive on the scalp) and that helps with growth. Also, gravitation - who knows? My hair is always heavier when braided and it sure grew back thicker, too.

foreveryours
April 30th, 2021, 11:10 AM
I found tight and wet very destructive, tons of breakage. The braid actually tightens as it dries. If you move around alot, the strands in the braid are stressed as it is and putting more tension on them just exacerbates the problem. Although water gives better waves when you take your hair down, oil does not swell the hair and makes it just as easy to braid when you're learning and need hair that sticks together better than when dry.

Tinyponies
April 30th, 2021, 02:40 PM

———

Totally with you on “Hello! here’s my Face!”

And thanks for your thoughts on my thing. It could be any number of reasons. I think I have a pretty tangle-prone type of texture. I could probably do with less stress and increased EFAs.

Your hair looks perfect to me!

0xalis
April 30th, 2021, 05:30 PM

This is just too funny! Those darned cuties :p

I'm lucky, my cats don't see my hair as a toy even when I wiggle it in front of their face. I feel like they know it's my body part, since they watched me grow it out from absolute 0.

Alexandrina
May 6th, 2021, 08:04 AM

oh my! Imagine if you had like, a mouse hairstick in a bun, he would go crazy!

fairy_hair
January 11th, 2024, 05:11 PM
I'm team bun for sure. My hair is bunned the vast majority of the time, including at night when I wear it clipped on the top of my head. Buns keep it completely out of the way in most situations and I don't have to redo my hair during the day. Braids are almost as cumbersome as hair down (at my length anyway) and I can see it shredding and rubbing on things and if I think about it too hard it just makes me shudder:

Of course that's my opinion/preference and my hair. I do generally believe that buns are more protective than braids -- but it's hard to make blanket statements when everyone's hair and circumstances are so different. And furthermore, even if they aren't as protective, who says you have to pick the most protective option at every turn? We have to enjoy ourselves and be comfortable too.

What a unique conundrum! :lol:

I always notice within minutes of my hair being in a plait, there are already a million hairs sticking out, and the front of my hair falling completely loose from the plait... and as for the lengths and ends throughout the day, they get caught in bag straps, car doors/seat belts, backpacks, rain exposure... and I can always spot extra split ends when I've worn mine in a plait even once for a full day. For me it's common sense that a secure and not overly tight bun is best, because it hides the lengths and ends, keeps them in contact with scalp oil and avoids all friction - also when I do a plaited bun, I don't get any braid shred at all, even in the exposed areas! It's like night and day. For me, a plait hanging down causes damage and a bun prevents it.

Kelp
January 11th, 2024, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to find a balance between the two so I'm gonna spill my feelings about them.

I work a physically intense job, outdoors, around power tools and machinery, so my hair has to be up and out of the way. I did nautilus buns all summer with a flexi but even with my best attempts at keeping it loose, I'm starting to see some suspiciously short hair right at the length where I made the initial bun twist. Yikes.

Due to the winter weather, I'm now wearing a beanie instead of a snapback for work, so I've been putting my hair into milkmaid braids with the beanie over it. I think this is my favorite work style so far as there's no pressure on my hair at all, but I might have to find another solution when the weather warms up and I switch to my other hat.

As for when I'm not working, I love the feeling of my hair in braids initially but once I start walking around I could cringe when they rub against my clothes, the seat of the car, or anything really. I always take it out and bun it halfway through the day. My hair feels the most protected and secure when it's both braided and put up, like milkmaid braids or PrettyShepherd's signature style.

Chasemi
January 11th, 2024, 08:47 PM
Buns! I'm a dancer in college (one of my majors) and so I move a lot! I think a bun is the easiest way to keep my hair out of my face quickly. Sometimes I'll put it in 2 Dutch braids, but usually not for dance classes, as during turns they'll whip me in the face.

Complexity
January 12th, 2024, 07:02 PM
...but I might have to find another solution when the weather warms up and I switch to my other hat.

Please let me know if you come up with anything. I've just recently taken a gig that has me doing the nautilus in a flexi because hat thing and I try to remember to be careful but, honestly, I'm just not. :shrug:

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2024, 02:05 AM
Having a braid just isn't practical in my everyday life. Not at work and not at home with cats who likes to play with it. + the length being impractical. So I wear buns most days. Braids are mostly kept pinned up or under my sleeping cap.

tuanyiji
January 13th, 2024, 05:22 AM
Bun in my waking hours and braid in a silk bonnet in my bedtime.

foreveryours
January 13th, 2024, 07:25 AM
Braids a great for minimizing long hairs' propensity for tangling but beyond a certain length, a hanging braid just becomes impractical for daily activity. A bun provides the necessary reduction in its radius of gyration.

Für immer
January 13th, 2024, 09:01 AM
I don't use braids that often these days, because fear of breakage etc, but once in a while it is nice to wear.
So most often it is different kinds of buns, or I just twist it into a nautilus and keeping it in place with my cap.

Sleeptime, I alternate between wearing it in buns and having it loose.

ETJ CURLS
January 13th, 2024, 02:12 PM
Braids work best for me for everyday when my hair is curly. I don't have to tie the ends, since I can just finger coil, and they'll stay put, and I can wear the same braid(s) multiple days in a row (and at night too) without having to redo. I actually experienced quite a lot of breakage from doing the same bun every day on damp hair before the pandemic even though at that point I'd managed to get some strands to BCL, so now I tend to limit buns to dry hair, or be careful not to wear them too long if I have to bun damp.

Since joining here though, I've learned a few buns, the disc bun being my favourite (and the easiest!) so far, and I find I'm able to move it around (from back to top) to reduce stress spots, especially when my hair is stretched or straightened. :)

Complexity
January 13th, 2024, 05:39 PM
Bun in my waking hours and braid in a silk bonnet in my bedtime.

Curious: Do you braid before the bonnet because it makes it easier to wrangle the hair in there (valid) or because you find you have fewer tangles than when it's loose in there?

On the days I'm not stuck in a nautilus/cap combo, I try to wear my hair down or at least loosely piled into a claw clip or something. I sleep with it loose under a satin cap, and if I have to run errands or something, I'm likely to bun because of seatbelts and purse straps and such.

UncommonTart
January 14th, 2024, 07:09 PM
I typically put it in a bun during the day, or a fake crown braid, if I'm not doing something fancy with it. A braid hanging down is still apt to get everywhere at my length.

baanoo
January 14th, 2024, 08:02 PM
My usual is a bun. Braids, especially in colder months with more clothing involving zippers/velcro/things that hang onto braids are a recipe for disaster. A lot of the time it’s a braided bun so best of both worlds!

BlushingRose
January 20th, 2024, 08:22 PM
I prefer braids! I recently cut to BSL, but when I had TBL many years ago, I wore it down or braided, never bunned. Either a single French braid, or twin English braids. Some days I dont have to redo my braids and it's easy to detangle when I do take them out. I have to readjust buns once or twice a day and then remove them for bed, for braids I can just pop them into my silk bonnet. I had success growing by bunning with hair sticks and forks for several months of 2023 and they stayed but they were less comfy and my scalp sometimes had sore/tender spots, with braids it seems to be growing at the same rate. For me, I want to go back to TBL and not longer, so braids work as a daily style and I dont need anything more protective.

Hairy-Fairy
January 20th, 2024, 10:51 PM
I can't manage to leave my hair braided and down. It drives me crazy. I can FEEL it rubbing against my clothes and I can almost hear it catching when I turn my head.....:run: On the other hand if I don't insert the pin into my daily bun just right I can hear it breaking hairs so that's a real problem too.

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2024, 08:26 AM
I loved a daily braid when my hair was shorter, but definitely not anymore. Now it would almost reach my ankles and I can imagine the damage that would incur over time. I wear a bun both day and night.

Ylva
January 22nd, 2024, 12:55 AM
Since discovering how to do a top-of-the-head bun on myself, I've worn one probably every single day. It doesn't look great on me but nothing matches the practicality. The weight sits so comfortably on top of my head, and I can even lie down and take a nap without taking the bun down.

If I manage to do it well, it will hold all day, but of course there are days that my hair just won't hold and I have to redo it multiple times.

MadHouseWitch
January 22nd, 2024, 10:56 AM
my son is at mid thigh, and he has me do the braid, every day, pony at nape, and end tied off, goody ouchless bands (no metal) EVERY DAY. I mix mine up and I'm still where I am UGH, though I'm making progress SLOWLY. My Daughter got to classic at one point wearing hers mostly down. It seems I can make people who have the hair I want, but I can't grow it myself LOL. I think it just depends on each person. I've noticed that braids tend to tear up my ends a little more, and my ends are really puny, basically little poly bands for me because its ITTY BITTY at the end of my braid LOL