PDA

View Full Version : cheap coneless conditioner...for conditioning.

starlamelissa
April 11th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Lol, ok, I am a serious conehead. for the past year I have used suave sleek shampoo (has cones) suave sleek conditioner (so very coney and nice) and suave sleek leave in cream (yay lurve it! coneys!!!)

I ran out of my last giant vat of suave sleek conditioner, and had some unopened ocean scent suave naturals on hand.

I have used it as a rinse out conditioner for the past 2 washes, and it doesnt suck. My hair feels very soft, good shine, and my waves are moisterized. I really like being able to use conditioner all through my hair, including my nape and crown. My hair is quite long, (between hip and BCL) and the product seemed to soak into my hair quickly.

I like the idea of picking new scents as my mood strikes for variety in my hair care.

Has anyone used a cheapie coneless 'dish long term? My shampoo is coney and prevents any scalp tangles/length tangles during washing, so alot of my conditioner's work is done by my shampoo. My leave in also supplies me with cones, and of course I use a little baby oil on my ends. Can I get away with using a cheapie coneless dish long term? Or should I quit while I am ahead?

In2wishin
April 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I have not used a coney conditioner in years and I have never had an issue. I do go very cheap. I make my own, often with just the emulsifyer and water (no oils, nutrients, proteins, etc.) or just with a small amount of shea butter and avocado oil.

woodswanderer
April 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
For my hair, I go cheap on the shampoo (only used on scalp area), and a little bit more $ on conditioner because I wear my hair down 75% of the time and don't want it tangle-prone. That gives me the most bang for my buck.

starlamelissa
April 11th, 2013, 07:29 PM
In2wishin, how is your length doing moisture wise with such a simple conditioner?

Salmonberry
April 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I've had a lot of luck with the Tresseme Naturals moisturizing conditioner. It's cone free and it has amazing slip and detangling properties. It seems to do a good job of delivering moisture too. It's also very cheap.

In2wishin
April 11th, 2013, 08:17 PM
In2wishin, how is your length doing moisture wise with such a simple conditioner?

It is doing great. I have not had any problems with dry ends.

Latte Lady
April 11th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I use the suave naturals conditioner for the odd C.O. wash. It's great for that. I rarely do C.O. washes but will if I have to do a mid week 'freshen up'. It is cleansing enough that I feel I must use a separate conditioner.
I like Suave, in general, but the naturals line never did a great job at conditioning and the shampoo was waaaay too cleansing. Both together was stripping on my hair. Fine for a short while but very drying in the end.
I like the Tresseme Natural line. It's more moisturizing for my hair.

ladyfey
April 12th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I second SalmonBerry, I also think Tresseme Naturals works well.

Louise148
April 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Starlamelissa - I'm like you and I like cones but I do use Inect Coconut Conditioner which is pretty cheap and has no cones in it. I use it on the days when I am not using shampoo and am just CO'ing and it works pretty well for that.

Anje
April 12th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I've been using the Suave Naturals stuff for years. As in, since at least 2001. I've tried a bunch of other things, mostly stuff that's available in stores rather than salons, and I keep coming back.

That said, I absolutely require conditioners that are silicone-free and protein-free. Most of my experimentation has been with products that end up having at least some silicone, and they inevitably leave my hair dried out and misbehaving. Some people do best with silicones, some best without, and some can go either way. So what works best for me may or may not apply to you.

ETA: I've tried the Tresemme Naturals stuff. It's too heavy for me. Quite possibly, I need my conditioners to be light.

starlamelissa
April 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM
thanks for the input anje! its nice to hear from a long term suave naturals user. [/I]

LakeofGlass
April 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM
For a month now I've just been washing my hair with baking soda water and following with apple cider vinegar. I just use about a tablespoon of baking soda per 1 cup of water. I do roughly the same with ACV. You can't mix them for obvious reasons. For the first two weeks my scalp had to adjust to it, but it evens out with the oil after a full month. I've never been happier with my hair.

I don't do anything freakish with my hair, since I don't use any hair care products, and the most I'd ever use at all would be Aussie mousse. However, I've tried pin curling without any mousse. After one night's sleep after the wash, my hair is very workable when I want to put in pin curls. That is, I don't do a braid or bun and let my hair be all happy in a sleep cap for one night. The next night, before I go sleep, I can pin curl or braid and 8 hours later I have waves or curls that last literally all day long.

So if you want to try some kind of alternative that isn't just cheap, but very effective, you may want to try this. The baking soda water does not strip your hair, and the ACV works wonders as far as conditioning goes. After that, it's just using a few drops of oil per day to help hydrate. Note that I find it works well for me. After reading a few different bloggers who liked the results, I opted for it and was glad I did. If you want it to smell nice you can just add some essential oils I suppose. I haven't tried it with the ACV, since I wasn't sure how that would work out. Just give it a month, if you do want to try it, and if not, it just isn't for you.

Khiwanean
April 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I've had a lot of luck with the Tresseme Naturals moisturizing conditioner. It's cone free and it has amazing slip and detangling properties. It seems to do a good job of delivering moisture too. It's also very cheap.I use this conditioner too, but it doesn't work very well slip-wise for me. It does bring out my waves. I also use Suave Naturals, which works better for me in the slip and detangling department and is cheaper (under $2 as opposed to under $7-8 ). Suave Naturals on its own tends to straighten my hair a bit. Not enough to kill the wave, but it lessens it. I find the two combined give me awesome waves and shiney, more easily detangleable hair. As with everything else, YMMV.

Cheele
April 12th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I've been using suave naturals for.... almost a year now I think. I used to use it to condition my length after a shampoo bar wash and ACV rinse. First coneless conditioner I ever remember using, and my hair was SO MUCH happier. It's also great for a CO wash and very gently removing oil after a heavy treatment. Right now I'm using it as a first condition in my CWC routine. I like that it's cheap and so I can slather it like crazy. It does it's job (better than any cone conditioner I've used), so I would say it's a good conditioner. My opinion and my hair though.

GoldenSilk
April 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I've used Suave Naturals on my length for... a decade at least. I keep coming back. They're so cheap, and they don't have cones, which make my hair feel coated and nasty quite quickly. Plus, they smell nice without being overpowering. I get tons of compliments on my hair's smell, especially when it's wet. I used Coconut for ages, got a bit of protein overload and had to switch around. Currently I love the new Everlasting Sunshine... it smells of vanilla and passionflower, and it has no protein and minimal humectants, a must for my humid climate.

I'm currently experimenting with Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado. It's almost as cheap as Suave, and it's got good moisture and slip, but my hair feels more limp, coated, and sticky. I even clarified and the feeling came back on the second wash. It's also got too many humectants, making my hair frizzy in humid weather, which is 90% of the year where I live. I think I will probably go back to the Suave and only use the Tresseme when I feel like I really need extra moisture.

But, my experience is probably a little different since I have never really had any good luck with cones.

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I have only used them for CO washing...but I have been wondering how they will work as a regular conditioner...I'll have to try it!

WilfredAllen
April 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I've started using tresemme naturals and so fair it's quite good

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2013, 07:52 AM
Update- I liked the full body I was getting from suave naturals, but ultimately, About 3 weeks in, I began to have dryness and tangling.

I think for my head of hair (long, color treated) I do best with heavy cone use. However, I will continue to purchase the product for a lighter weight moisture, or when I am wearing my hair in its natural, wavy state.