PDA

View Full Version : hair continues to break off

sylvanasylvana
April 11th, 2013, 03:47 AM
my hair breaks off every time i touch my hair or when i use a tangle teezer or comb, even when i fingercomb little tine pieces of hair break off. The last 15cm of my hair is full of white dots and every couple months i have to cut it because the ends are getting thin. I have bleached my hair in the summer, but since then i have used no heat, i use henna, castor oil and coconut oil. I s&d 2x a week but those white dots are everywere! Im trying to braid my hair and wear it up as much as i can..
Is there anything else i can do to prevent those hairs from breaking? I dont know what to do, because al my effort doesn't seam to work..

kdaniels8811
April 11th, 2013, 05:02 AM
catnip tea soaks and coconut oil worked for me.

Naiadryade
April 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Regular catnip tea treatments help over time. Make sure your hair is always well moisturized. Protein might help strengthen your hair, have you tried that?

I'm super split- and white dot-prone as well, though my hair isn't bleached, just fragile. I S&D a little every day. I keep my scissors around where I'm spending most of my time, and every time I notice a new split or white dot I cut it off immediately along with any others I see near it. I've noticed that if I don't stay on top of them, they seem to multiply exponentially as time goes on... I think the splits cause tangles, and then the hairs involved get damaged at the point of tangle because they get bent at angles. If I only S&D'd twice a week, my hair would be suffering a lot more damage than it does now, and I would probably quickly feel overwhelmed.

S&D'ing this frequently probably isn't necessary for most folks, but it has helped me tremendously. I started this routine after removing most of my splits (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110709), so I'm just dealing with new ones. My growth rate (gained length, not actual growth) has jumped from 0 to 1/3" per month to 1/2"+ per month since then (I think this month is going to end up around 3/4"). Even though I'm still finding average 30 splits/dots per day, the vast majority of my ends are intact at any given point now. Of course... I've also figured out how to keep my hair moisturized, for the most part. And I've been doing catnip treatments almost every week for months.

Hope this helps!

Anje
April 11th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Once the white dots are there, unfortunately the damage is done. You can trim or S&D them out, but while they're there, they'll continue to break.

Keep doing the good things and continue to avoid heat and bleach. Keep it moisturized. At this point, you're likely just suffering from past damage, not causing more.

spidermom
April 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I think you could benefit from a protein pack like Joice K-Pak Reconstructor. Follow with a moisture treatment such as a long soak in your favorite conditioner.

sylvanasylvana
April 12th, 2013, 03:07 AM
thanks! I'm going a protein treatment and catnip tea.. Will keep you updated!

jacqueline101
April 12th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I'd micro trim or s&d.

jeanniet
April 12th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately, once the damage is there what you do after isn't going to fix it. You have to grow it out. It sounds like the bleaching was very damaging. At this point the best you can do is to mitigate the damage as much as you can while it's growing out (and that means growing it ALL out). I agree that a protein treatment followed by a deep moisture treatment is a good idea, and then keep up with regular moisture treatments, along with everything else you've been doing up to now.

Kherome
April 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM
You will have to remove all the damaged/split/white dot hairs. Then I second the catnip treatment and no more bleaching.

LadyLongLocks
April 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Quit using henna. It creates a brittle coating that wears off/breaks off and causes damage and blocks moisture. This is what a long hair expert told me. I have never used henna.

Vivalagina
April 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Are you scissors sharp? I am growing out old bleach damage as well and did an S&D and found a TON of white dots the next time I looked. My scissors did all the damage that time and I had to use sharper scissors to trim those off. It's gotten a lot better after that with protein treatments, lots of moisture, gentle detangling, and wearing my hair up more. Good luck!

blondie9912
April 12th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Honestly, just cut off the damage. I know, I know, no one ever wants to do that. My hair was around the same length as yours a few months ago, and I had the same thing. Some white dots (but not many) and it was thin at the ends. Personally, I didn't want to bother torturing myself with tiny trims every month; I just went ahead and cut it.

If your hair has been bleached or dyed with permanent dye, the damage will keep coming back. You just have to get rid of it, trust me, you'll be so much happier! Then you can start to grow out healthy hair :) Good luck!

Emichiee
April 12th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Is this the first time you used bleach or dye? If not how often did you dye before this? How was your hairs condition prior to that?

I am trying to figure out if we are dealing with a bleach damage issue only, or if your hair is also more prone to breaking because of a underlying health or hormone related issue...which is very common (sadly)
So depending on which one it is the strategy would differ. Both can be helped though :)

If you don't want to trim the 15 cm, you could also maintain at your current length for a bit with monthly trims until you feel most damage has been removed. OR - cut part of the damage off and then just maintain for a short while. Either way, you probably will get the best results with some sort of trimming involved.
I am maintaining too, not just because of the hair loss (3x in 3 1/2 years) but also because my health issues had made my hair more prone to splits and breakage. At just TBL I was able to trim out a good deal of damage every month. Since my health issues are resolved for the biggest part, my hair is growing back in a much better condition.

To make sure you don't cause extra damage to your bleached hair you could:

- use the most gentle detergent for cleansing your hair. Coco glucoside is gentler than SLS for example. I even have some soap herbs here and they are super gentle but cleanse better than WO.

- Frequent S&D keeps the splits at bay of course

- Oil and some sort of humectant like aloe can help restore some of of the moisture content. If your hair does not seem to "like oil" and feels funny from oiling, it is likely due to your hairs changed condition. It still will do the trick though, and for many the hair will absorb the oil better after repeated use. Generally I oil on dry hair, but you can experiment with damp hair oiling. Potent oils are coconut, olive oil and also camellia oil because their molecular structure is small enough to penetrate the hair shaft well. Some oils like jojoba, tend to stay on the outside of the hair shaft.

Quit using henna. It creates a brittle coating that wears off/breaks off and causes damage and blocks moisture. This is what a long hair expert told me. I have never used henna.

What did he base this on? It sounds odd to me because henna does not create a coating. It is a dye molecule that penetrates your hair without lifting the cuticle (because it is small enough also).
I don't doubt that henna can be problematic to some, just the thing with the coating and blocking moisture did not sound right. Henna is the most gentle dye option out there.

OP, since your hair is brittle already, I would second not using henna though. It is drying to some degree and the process of dyeing can cause some friction and handling damage to hair that is weakened.

I used to henna, but it has grown out to hip length already, I don't have any personal experience with henna on more prone to damage hair.

Khiwanean
April 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Does your hair stretch and break or does it just snap off without any stretching? The former would indicate you need protein, but the latter would mean protein overdose. Since you bleached I would expect to find you need protein, but that may not necessarily be the case, so it's better to be sure. If you suspect protein overdose, check your products for protein and don't use any that contain it for a while.

Make sure you are using a very sharp scissors when you S&D and make sure your hairdresser uses sharp scissors. There was one haircut I got around two and a half years ago during which I suspect the hairdresser used insufficiently sharp scissors on my hair. It started splitting again within a week. I have had a more recent haircut with little to no routine change on my part since then and it was at least a month before I noticed any splits.

KittyMeowMeow
April 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM
The Tangle Teaser was a nightmare for me- midshaft splits & breakage. This could be making things worse?

I agree with the ideas of protein treatments, no more bleaching and no/low heat.

kdaniels8811
April 12th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Yet we have a bunch of henna users that rave over how helpful henna has been in rehabilitating damaged hair ... Nightshade for one, myself for another. Different things work for different people but henna SAVED my damaged, breaking hair.

bunnylake
April 12th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Yet we have a bunch of henna users that rave over how helpful henna has been in rehabilitating damaged hair ... Nightshade for one, myself for another. Different things work for different people but henna SAVED my damaged, breaking hair.

Same. I was under the impression that henna actually makes hair stronger and more dense with each application!

Allychan
April 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, once the damage is there what you do after isn't going to fix it. You have to grow it out. It sounds like the bleaching was very damaging. At this point the best you can do is to mitigate the damage as much as you can while it's growing out (and that means growing it ALL out). I agree that a protein treatment followed by a deep moisture treatment is a good idea, and then keep up with regular moisture treatments, along with everything else you've been doing up to now.

I agree here, and I am a henna user and it is one of the only things that has stopped my hair from continuing its sad demise. Henna rocks and heals. It fills your empty hair shaft so it is less inclined to dry out and snap off

spirals
April 14th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I have really splitty ends due to color damage. It's annoying. Every time I detangle or brush I end up with broken ends all over the sink. I need to get some drain cleaner now. But I keep doing S&D sessions 2 to 4 times a month and coconut oiling my braid tassels at night. I microtrim every other month. I don't necessarily wear it up every day; I like variety and wear a plethora of styles: half-ups, braids, buns, scarf rolls. It's not wearing it down that damages it; it's the combing and brushing. I just have to correct that with S&D and oil. I can't get away with not combing like I did at APL.